TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Band that got you into metal.

JJS666
Mon, 23/10/2017 - 03:16

First band that got you into metal ?

JJS666's picture

Iron Maiden

DarkValkyrieofDeath's picture

well i grew up with metal cause my mom was a metalhead so i listened to queensryche and metallica alot when i was young... but the first band that got me into metal was technically evanescence, also linkin park and from there i moved on to lacuna coil rammstein and slipknot, then eventually deathcore and everything else

JJS666's picture

The roots of all metalheads start with some band.

DarkValkyrieofDeath's picture

i know evanescence being metal is debateable, but they def helped get me interested and discover other bands in the metal genre

JJS666's picture

Sounds like an awesome mom my friend. I wished my mom would of liked metal.

Michael1071's picture

Iron Maiden. The beginning riff of The Trooper to be specific.

JJS666's picture

Hahah. I loved that show , insanely funny. The punk rocker.

Thrashattck94's picture

Vyvyan Bastard. What a show that is. I have the 2 series' on DVD.

Pantos's picture

My dad got me into Metallica around the same time that I learned how to read & took me to my first show (Metallica) when I was 14. Vektor bridged the gap into more extreme stuff for me, though.

alans1186's picture

Same. I would listen to the Black Album with my Dad. Then it sorta just took off from there.

JJS666's picture

What a cool dad. What tour was that ?

Lack of Oxygen's picture

JJS666's picture

Reign in blood rules !!!!!!!!

waldpyk's picture

Born in 1978. First memories of liking music are listening to bands like Queen, AC/DC, Kiss, Status Quo, etc on the radio in the 80's. Then a friend gave me "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden on vinyl. Listened to side B first. The intro of "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" got me hooked on metal forever.

WarAndPain's picture

I used to listen to pretty much only classical/medieval music, so my mum got me Metallica's S&M live album, where they're playing with an orchestra, as a joke when I was about 12. So yeah... that happened XD

I remember trying to listen to the stuff my classmates were into, since because everyone was listening to it it had to be good, and just not getting it at all. Used to listen to classic rock radio sometimes, but somehow, before Metallica changed everything, I never realised that all the stuff I liked was the heaviest music I could find - Ace of Spades, Paranoid, a whole lot of Deep Purple. It seems so obvious now, but back then I had no idea...

Nater90's picture

I actually think S&M is a good album....

Rather fond of Classical myself.

pan_in_ithyphallic_mirth's picture

I used to listen to that album a lot as a kid but nowadays it just makes me grind my teeth the same way that one does listening to a Yoko Ono album. Out of all the bands to get a full orchestra treatment Metallica is like one of the worst possible choices.

Nater90's picture

Fair enough, it's not an album you listen to all the time but some of the stuff is good.

I'd rather actually listen to a full orchestra or opera.

Mylla's picture

Judas Priest I believe. My 5-year older brother was into nwobhm in the early 80-ies so after listening to some swedish punk I turned into Priest when I was about 11 or 12. My teacher didn´t appreciate the Judas Priest tapes I brought to school for us to enjoy during the sewing class though as much as I did.

JJS666's picture

Hell yeah. Punk rules.

Mylla's picture

Haha. I play the old swedish punk to my 9-year old daughter now to broaden her musical knowledge.

Necro Rican's picture

Judas Priest at age 10 while I was playing Gran Turismo 3 and Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse and The Black Dahlia Murder at 14 which made me the metalhead that I'm today.

D_Stoertebeker's picture

Consciously Motörhead, Metallica and Manowar. Triumph of Steel and St. Anger were the first metal albums I bought.

Unconsciously it probably were the soundtracks of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and GTA Vice City. There were many punk and metal tracks on those soundtracks I played those games a lot! :D

Nater90's picture

THPS and GTA VC got me into some of the Classics my Dad didn't get me into also! Epic game series' for tunes.

Nuwanda's picture

I totally agree with the awesome soundtrack on those, they really did that unconsciously as I notice now that you say it out loud...
V-Rock is to this day probably one of the best radio-stations out there.

DrkForests's picture

Metallica - ...And Justice For All, specifically

DeathFuckinMetal's picture

Cannibal Corpse, saw the album covers to Butchered At Birth and Tomb of The Mutilated then listened to the music and thought "this is some pretty brutal shit"! the rest is history i guess. The first song by them i heard was A Skull Full Of Maggots

Vulverine's picture

Iron Maiden - Powerslave in '87 !!!

andermatten's picture

twisted sister probably...later guns & roses really got things going

Yngwie Mangosteen's picture

Bon jovi, def lep, guns n roses and poison.from there moved to heavier stuffs..

pan_in_ithyphallic_mirth's picture

TIAMAT!!!!

I literally had not heard any metal albums before them!

AndrewPYL's picture

I was already into rock like Bon Jovi, GNR and Ac/dc but it was Megadeth's Rust in Peace that got me into metal, I still regard it as the greatest thrash album of all time. Seeing the cover in the record store window alone was enough to make me grab it as a 12 year old misfit.

KJS68's picture

Black Sabbath , first album. My dad's stash. Then it went from there. And the awesome record store owner that turn me on to new releases , mercyful fate, metallica, the list goes on if you've never been to L'AMOUR in brooklyn. Oh well ..I lived in there on weekends.

Influx's picture

Nightwish primarily but I didn't actively start seeking out metal until after I had finally seen them live and from there Cradle of Filth

goretore's picture

Kiss and Iron Maiden were my first introductions to heavy metal. Then bands like W.A.S.P., Metallica, and Slayer began to offer the harder edged stylings of metal. The birth of Swedish and Florida death metal graced my ears in the early 90's and the rest is history! \m/

DoctorAMDC's picture

Avenged Sevenfold when I was 12. The Wikipedia page that they are inspired by Iron Maiden and Slayer so I heard them , and I was hooked. At the time, Mike Portnoy was their live drummer and I also heard Dream Theater

Katafalk's picture

Marilyn Manson when I was 12.

Grimlord's picture

Accept, Motörhead, AC/DC, Van Halen and Alice Cooper in the early '90s when I was around 6 years old. I'm glad I got into Hard Rock and Metal before the Alternative/Nu/Crossover crap really started to get popular. Mid-90s I was listening to Saxon, Priest and Maiden. By the late 90s I was into Hypocrisy, Destruction, Kreator, Mercyful Fate, Testament, Celtic Frost, Children of Bodom, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, In Flames and Cannibal Corpse. Early 2000s I was discovering the '80s stuff from Slayer/Metallica/Megadeth/Exodus/Candlemass/Manowar/Venom and the classic 70s stuff by Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath plus the current albums and live gigs of bands like Nevermore, Bolt Thrower and Immolation. A short Black Metal phase started around that time, but strictly scandinavian stuff like Darkthrone, Mayhem, Emperor and Enslaved.

andermatten's picture

Van Halen! Completely forgot about them

I only partly agree with the designation 'crap' with regards to the Alternative/Nu/Crossover-wave of the nineties....25 years ago I probably would've said the same thing about slipknot, or, worse, linkin park, bloodhound gang, dog-eat-dog, stuff like that...but you have to admit that that era gave us bands like bodycount, biohazard or the public enemy/anthrax-collaboration, or the judgment night soundtrack too (though admittedly I very much like [80/90s] rap and the seattle grunge scene as well, so maybe I'm just not strictly metalhead and can't relate enough)

oldmate's picture

MetallicA - when i was a kid i saw lots of metallica tshirts.. finally found a guy who a metallica tape, so he dubbed it for me and been a metal head from that day. It just happened to be Master of Puppets so not a bad way to start

BloodH's picture

Iron Maiden

Croby's picture

not exactly metal, but it all began with Thin Lizzy

andermatten's picture

now you say it....first time I saw zztop's 'legs' on MTV (though I did not at the time understand why a band would sing a song about a woman's legs) it blew me away and will have had a huge impact on me too

Croby's picture

a classic, one of my favorite ZZ Top tracks along with Rough Boy and I Need You Tonight. Top tier band, top tier material! :D

metalmaciejmetal's picture

Sepultura back in 1999 or so. It was a boot leg concert cassette with Max Cavalera still on vocals. I didn't know what to make of this band. Sounded scary, but I listened a couple of times and became a fan.

andermatten's picture

wow, first time 'dead embryonic cells' on headbanger's ball....brings back memories

The_Cyborg_Slayer's picture

Well, it was actually the Easter egg songs in Call of Duty: Black Ops' zombies mode that got me into metal. The first actual band I got into was Gwar

BRUCE666's picture

A friend played me the first Iron Maiden album when I was about 12 years old. And the rest is history…

Bruce Dickinson inspired me to become a singer (something I have been fortunate to do for many years)

First record I ever bought? Somewhere In Time (1986)

First live show I ever attended? Maiden and Anthrax at the Birmingham NEC Arena (later released as "Maiden England" live album) November 1988

Most recent live shows I attended? Maiden in Prague and Maiden in Krakow (2018)

kereealazer's picture

Megadeth, Metallica, In Flames and All That Remains!

oldmate's picture

Metallica - Master of puppets

CHRISTSODOMIZER's picture

Its not a band but the movie School Of Rock definitely changed my life and kept my interest in hard rock as a young kid see those gibsons and the van just was so awesome at the time

HELLHAMMERED's picture

Used to listen to Kill Em All when I was really little (like 5) with my dad, & got into black & death metal in middle school (cannibal corpse & mayhem were what opened my eyes to extreme metal)

Thiellus's picture

I’ve seen them here a few times already, but it’s the band for me as well:

IRON MAIDEN

before that, I was heavily into bands like KISS, The Rolling Stones, and Queen. Iron Maiden changed everything once I saw them live with my Dad at 11 years old.

Givethemhell's picture

Metallica, Slipknot, Black Sabbath, and Motörhead

Apep's picture

I got introduced to metal after a friend played me Slayer's Show No Mercy sometime in middle school.

blackdeathdker's picture

Justice for all.. live shit. Binge purge. My dad got me these both when I was 6 years old, was hooked there after.

Cosmoblaze's picture

Age 3 = Queen and Pink Floyd;
Age 11= Metallica thanks to my dad
Age 15= Rob Zombie ad Slayer thanks to my older brother

Dante's picture

In 1987 a friend of mine gave me a tape. A-Side: Manowar - Fighting the world, B-Side: King Diamond - Abigail. That's where it all started. \m/

Into Glory Ride's picture

M A N O W A R

Album: Triumph of Steel.

Yes, that means, my very first Metal song at the age of 10 was 30 minutes long. And i stayed.

VYZNXVS's picture

David Bowie. He mentioned being influenced by The Young Gods from a magazine interview from the mid 90s. I was obsessed with his Outside album as a teen (mostly listened to lots of post punk and goth/new wave music at the time) and wanted to hear similar music or find out where he got his ideas from. He was touring with nine inch nails for that album and also had named-dropped Ministry’s Filth Pig as something he really enjoyed at the time.

Paganinfear's picture

Maiden!

MortalFate's picture

Def Leppard with Pyromania. Was younger than 10. Then they came out with Hysteria and I was quite disappointed. Was into Metallica and Megadeth (and GWAR and MOD) by 16/17. Got into KD/MF at around 18/19. Was in a position where I had to learn a lot of names on my own.

Lord Cthulhu's picture

Being an old git born in 1970 it was probably a combination of Quo, Budgie and Rush that did it for me, courtesy of clued in older cousins!

Dark Buddha's picture

LOL Left school in '70 ... you are so NOT old. Yes them for sure plus Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep and Led Zeppelin/Yardbirds back in the day. Iron Butterfly likely 1st with In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida 1968.

Lord Cthulhu's picture

Oooh, you're properly old, LOL! Would have loved to have grown up with Zeppelin, imagining what each new album was going to sound like. An amazing time to be enjoying music

Dark Buddha's picture

Absolutely. You wouldn't even know about new albums until one would show up at the local "record store" or maybe a bit earlier in a music mag! The store was a weekly must after school and then getting home, baked, listening to a new Led Zeppelin LP for the very first time.
Yeah kinda sucks being old but actually seeing the Beatles in '64 (thanks dad), Gillan Deep Purple '71 and of course Led Zeppelin '72 and Black Sabbath in '73 all in Sydney.

andermatten's picture

thank you, both of you make me feel at lot less old

which reminds me, how old were you when 'stand and deliver' was on TOTP? huge influence too

Lord Cthulhu's picture

I'd have been about 11 or 12 I think. Not old enough to be a dandy highwayman, but old enough to enjoy the busty maidens!

andermatten's picture

I was around 5 or 6...this strange person with sweets hanging from his hair and that long white sticker across his nose....but I loved it so much it still haunts me today

Lord Cthulhu's picture

Sounds a bit like the Child Catcher from classic film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...! Good old Adam Ant though, bit of a legend

Dark Buddha's picture

Must admit Adam Ant was a good frontman. He was voted best in UK at one stage and not just on the strength of 'Antmusic'. Toured here on the Prince Charming tour and apparently really rocked live. Like Sweet who were nothing like their vids and surprising full on power metal and not pop. 🤘

Hárbarðr's picture

Iron Maiden! When I was a kid, I wasn’t really interested in music, everything was boring, until a friend of mine showed me The Number of the Beast, and that was it: I was blown away and knew this was the stuff I wanted to listen.

Heavy Metal Marc's picture

Blind Guardian. When I was a kid I was super into the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillian. I was around Seven Years Old when I found a video about the Silmarillian that had blind guardian's Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hills.) After that I started listening to anything of there's I could find on YouTube, and when my parents found out how much I liked Blind Guardian they showed me other bands they thought I would like, particularly Iron Maiden.

bad_american1992's picture

That is a great story man hailz to Blind Guardian!!!

Blackest_Ov_Nights's picture

Insomnium. When I was in middle school I came across the music video for Mortal Share on YouTube, and they instantly became my favorite band. I was obsessed with them, and eventual started looking for bands that sounded similar. From there I found out about Mors Principium Est, Dissection, Dark Tranquility, and many more bands that I still love to this day.

CelticFrostedSnowflake's picture

I’m sure 9/10 people will say Maiden or Priest, I am one of those people. Up the irons!!!

Phillip_Rattlhead's picture

Im younger than every guys above me who start to listened metal with Priest and Maiden, but for me thats METALLICA!!!

Actually, i start listened to metall more years ago with Rammstein and idk, but i dont know no more about them and metal! Just listened and dont mind. For Whom the Bell Tolls is song what change my mind. I heard it in one Try to not Headbang Challenge(Deleted now, on cover was Pantera logo in fire!!!) and...damn. DAMN. This little 10-15 second part change my Damn mind forever. I heard more songs after, but little bit of them can kick my heart like For Whom the Bell Tolls every time when i turned it
After that, i found a name of Dave Mustaine, and start read story how he was still in Metallica and fired with brilliant mem phrase "No warning? No second chance?", and...After that history start!
My teacher try to convince me, my dad dont like my torn jeans, people ask me why i weard spiked collar and wristband. Some people dont like what i wear, maybe, dont like what i listened. But i like it, i really like metal. Its place where i found friends, knowledge...reason for live?
And main is my Mom support me in this way, big thanks to she!!!

So, that how i come to metal, still metal STAY METAL XD

no karate in pit's picture

metal is a big reason why life became better for alot of us

bad_american1992's picture

I'd been listening to all kinds of rock, punk and mainstream metal / mallcore (which I still love), then one day during some airsoft or paintball game his random asian dude started blasting Trollhammren by Finntroll and ran off into the match going buck wild and just bullet hosing the other team mercilessly. It blew my mind. I can pinpoint that as the point where I stepped into the world of extreme metal, and it's why I've always had a Finntroll patch on my jacket!

airsoft and metal fuck yeah

oldmate's picture

MetallicA and still a fan !

Countess Bathory's picture

My mom used to blast Rammstein, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi etc. when I was little. When I was 14, my older sister was a metalhead and she showed me bands such as Bathory and Mayhem and they became one of my favourite bands

UnsafeAtAnySpeed's picture

Kiss, AC/DC, Maiden, Guns And Roses. You know, the usual shit.

Schizo's picture

Megadeth, I was 4 years old. I discovered them through the Mortal Kombat movie soundtrack. if I remember correctly it was "Almost Honest".

Thane's picture

Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Ozzy/Dio/Sabbath

Radek's picture

Accept - Metal Heart, or maybe Accept - Russian Roulette? 1986 in communist block country Czechoslovakia, black market bootleg tape, poor quaitly soud ... Saxon, Krokus, Running Wild, Grave Digger, Gravestone, King Diamond and Venom were instantly followed!

Radek's picture

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast, on a summer camp trhu walking a hills (no joke!). Next was Accept - Metal Heart, or maybe Accept - Russian Roulette? 1985/1986 in communist block country Czechoslovakia, black market bootleg tape, poor quaitly soud ... Saxon, Krokus, Running Wild, Grave Digger, Gravestone, King Diamond and Venom were instantly followed!

cza2129's picture

KISS, Aerosmith, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, wore grooves in Kiss Alive, and Toys In The Attic LP's reading CREAM and CIRCUS mags, led to AC/DC, Maiden (2 Maiden shows changed my life first was Phoenix AZ Piece of Mind Tour with Saxon and Accept and the Long Beach Arena shows recording Live After Death....it's been my drug of choice for as long as I can remember.

MortalFate's picture

Slayer - Hell Awaits was huge for me.

Npuoti666's picture

Lordi when they were on Eurovision. As a 7 year old boy i thought that those Monsters on TV were the coolest thing i Have ever seen.

nosws4me's picture

My dad is a metalhead so I grew up on metal basically. Around 2006 he showed me Blind Guardian songs from their new (at the time) album A Twist in the Myth and I absolutely loved it. I was like 4 at the time
And that was my intro to metal

metallicas one did it for me still love them and my back patch is one god i love them
the other band is megadeth the whole peace sells album i loved after that i listened to more thrash and more thrash

fauzan big's picture

I remember my introduction to Metal music was when I was 6 years old in 2005, my father always played some late 70's early 80's Rock and Heavy Metal bands on cassette like Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden and even Mercyful Fate. My first interest was Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast and Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath, the reason back then I liked album covers because they looked like comics.

But, the real moment when I really got into Metal was when I was 12 years old in 2011, my uncle showed me some late 80's and early 90's bands like Slayer, Sepultura, Obituary, Entombed, Death, etc. the impression is the same as my first debut in metal in 2005, I really like the album cover. The first album I heard was Obituary - Cause Of Death, this time I really liked the music because it sounded more aggressive than Iron Maiden and so on, also I liked the angry vocal style.

Since then, I have been browsing all things metal on the internet. I found Metallum when I was browsing who Obituary was LOL. I visited a local shop selling Metal merch in 2013, and I bought some clothes and some records. I remember my first band t-shirt was Anthrax - Among The Living The most exciting thing back then was the Battle Vest culture, and then I discovered the Tshirtslayer. After I discovered the Tshirtslayer, I decided to build my own Battle Vest in 2013. Since then, I've started collecting Metal merch like t-shirts, records, and even patches.
Here's my Battle Vest in 2013 :
https://tshirtslayer.com/battle-jacket/my-old-vest-rip

Tina Taem 22's picture

i Remembered i was finally Graduating from High School in 2018 and was in College years around 2018 - 2019 when i started to googled some Heavy Metal Bands to Listen to first thing caught my attention was Iron Maiden. Seventh Son of A Seventh Son my first Album that i listened to
moonchild and The Evil that Men Do both tracks stuck into my mind i thought it was great.
now i started to collect my Favorite Metal Bands that i loved and in the future i'll be making my first Overkill Horrorscope Leather BattleJacket with Overkill Patches and Overkill Back Patches soon or later as possible.

SHREDDER S47's picture

The Osbournes reality show was on TV when I was a kid. My mom bought me the Tribute live album when I expressed interest in Ozzy. Started there and haven’t stopped listening to metal ever since

Charles Gutierrez's picture

That's crazy! Lol You have a good mama.

Charles Gutierrez's picture

Metallica.
My dad's 2nd favorite band that he used to play all the time when I was young. They were my first show. I was between 6 and 8. I'm not sure of the exact year so I dont know.

Tina Taem 22's picture

After i started Listened to iron maiden i discovered more metal bands that i like Thrash Metal - Megadeth, Overkill, Testament, Death Angel, Sadus,
Forbidden, Exodus, Slayer, Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, Tankard.
Death Metal - Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Grave, Obituary.
Black Metal - Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Mayhem, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, Dark Funeral.
Another Heavy Metal Band - Grave Digger

Darklord's picture

Judas Priest ...my dad just played the shit outta Screaming for Vengeance in the car.

Turdburger's picture

The first band I ever listened to on my own was switchfoot, I had a shitty radio I would listen to sleep music on and once I played it I began my journey into music.

Bonesaw's picture

It was Necronomicon with their song Dark Land that was on a sampler I got from my aunt back then in '93. I remember listened to this song for the first time and it blew my mind! I thought immediately This Is It!!!
Every time I listen to this song I remember this particular moment. This is magic!

Vulverine's picture

I agree 100 % ! Bought the record around 1990 - one of my first metal records ever - and was absolutely intrigued by this song !
Classic German 80s' Thrash !

Bonesaw's picture

🍻

Greaserjlg's picture

Metallica's Black album in the car when I was 5 years old.
Then I saw Judas Priest live 1983 on VH1 and there was no going back.

LegionWerewolf's picture

Black Sabbath.

adamhorrorfan1991's picture

I would say Marilyn Manson. I was 13.

Robin_lifts's picture

Rammstein when I was 13/14 years old. My bedroom was covered with Rammstein posters during most of my teen years. I wrote a paper on them for German class and got straight A+’s because I learned German really quick. I even ended up studying German. They were also the first band I saw live.

Ironically enough, I no longer like them as much as I used to. I think Zeit was a good album, and the Untitled was ok(ish), but everything else that happened between Mutter and that album sucked as far as I’m concerned. For 15 years they were crappy and that’s when I lost interest altogether

Wyvern's picture

Started with the classics like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica, etc. then branched out from there to find more great stuff.

MetalNDN's picture

Heard Deep Purple in 1972, Made in Japan. I was 7 years old. My older cousin was playing it. I liked it a lot. But 1973 I heard Black Sabbath- Paranoid that my aunt was playing on the record player and was hooked ever since. I am 58 now and still listening to metal. And go to concerts since 1982. 🤘

Knul's picture

Judas Priest, Motörhead, Bethlehem, Slayer.

Rebb's picture

Metallica when i was like 6 but now years later megadeth really kicked me in the ass to get into it the way i am now

ThatBillyGuy's picture

Metallica was my first introduction to metal, I loved it at the first listen and then later listened to white zombie, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath which made me really want to get into metal

Jonathan666's picture

Metallica - And Justice For All is the very, very first metal album I purchased and listened to. That is, if memory serves me right, because it's been more than 25 years ago, so I cannot be 100% certain. Anyway, around the same time I was also listening to Nirvana, Iron Maiden and Sepultura, and very soon after that I discovered Edge of Sanity, Death and Burzum.

Pheeeew man... this really takes me way back in time, I was so young.............

I guess Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Scorpions and Queen don't count, right?

metalarchivesripsection's picture

In some what of an order? The Sparks, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, White Zombie, NIN, Pantera, Cannibal Corpse. Between Beavis & Butthead & MTV.

metalarchivesripsection's picture

Ozzy, Kiss, & Santana

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments