TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Band that got you into metal.

JJS666
Mon, 23/10/2017 - 03:16

First band that got you into metal ?

JJS666's picture

Iron Maiden

DarkValkyrieofDeath's picture

well i grew up with metal cause my mom was a metalhead so i listened to queensryche and metallica alot when i was young... but the first band that got me into metal was technically evanescence, also linkin park and from there i moved on to lacuna coil rammstein and slipknot, then eventually deathcore and everything else

JJS666's picture

The roots of all metalheads start with some band.

DarkValkyrieofDeath's picture

i know evanescence being metal is debateable, but they def helped get me interested and discover other bands in the metal genre

JJS666's picture

Sounds like an awesome mom my friend. I wished my mom would of liked metal.

Michael1071's picture

Iron Maiden. The beginning riff of The Trooper to be specific.

JJS666's picture

Hahah. I loved that show , insanely funny. The punk rocker.

Thrashattck94's picture

Vyvyan Bastard. What a show that is. I have the 2 series' on DVD.

Pantos's picture

My dad got me into Metallica around the same time that I learned how to read & took me to my first show (Metallica) when I was 14. Vektor bridged the gap into more extreme stuff for me, though.

alans1186's picture

Same. I would listen to the Black Album with my Dad. Then it sorta just took off from there.

JJS666's picture

What a cool dad. What tour was that ?

Lack of Oxygen's picture

Slayer! When I was 14, Raining Blood to be exact

JJS666's picture

Reign in blood rules !!!!!!!!

waldpyk's picture

Born in 1978. First memories of liking music are listening to bands like Queen, AC/DC, Kiss, Status Quo, etc on the radio in the 80's. Then a friend gave me "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden on vinyl. Listened to side B first. The intro of "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" got me hooked on metal forever.

WarAndPain's picture

I used to listen to pretty much only classical/medieval music, so my mum got me Metallica's S&M live album, where they're playing with an orchestra, as a joke when I was about 12. So yeah... that happened XD

I remember trying to listen to the stuff my classmates were into, since because everyone was listening to it it had to be good, and just not getting it at all. Used to listen to classic rock radio sometimes, but somehow, before Metallica changed everything, I never realised that all the stuff I liked was the heaviest music I could find - Ace of Spades, Paranoid, a whole lot of Deep Purple. It seems so obvious now, but back then I had no idea...

Nater90's picture

I actually think S&M is a good album....

Rather fond of Classical myself.

pan_in_ithyphallic_mirth's picture

I used to listen to that album a lot as a kid but nowadays it just makes me grind my teeth the same way that one does listening to a Yoko Ono album. Out of all the bands to get a full orchestra treatment Metallica is like one of the worst possible choices.

Nater90's picture

Fair enough, it's not an album you listen to all the time but some of the stuff is good.

I'd rather actually listen to a full orchestra or opera.

Mylla's picture

Judas Priest I believe. My 5-year older brother was into nwobhm in the early 80-ies so after listening to some swedish punk I turned into Priest when I was about 11 or 12. My teacher didn´t appreciate the Judas Priest tapes I brought to school for us to enjoy during the sewing class though as much as I did.

JJS666's picture

Hell yeah. Punk rules.

Mylla's picture

Haha. I play the old swedish punk to my 9-year old daughter now to broaden her musical knowledge.

Necro Rican's picture

Judas Priest at age 10 while I was playing Gran Turismo 3 and Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse and The Black Dahlia Murder at 14 which made me the metalhead that I'm today.

D_Stoertebeker's picture

Consciously Motörhead, Metallica and Manowar. Triumph of Steel and St. Anger were the first metal albums I bought.

Unconsciously it probably were the soundtracks of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and GTA Vice City. There were many punk and metal tracks on those soundtracks I played those games a lot! :D

Nater90's picture

THPS and GTA VC got me into some of the Classics my Dad didn't get me into also! Epic game series' for tunes.

DrkForests's picture

Metallica - ...And Justice For All, specifically

DeathFuckinMetal's picture

Cannibal Corpse, saw the album covers to Butchered At Birth and Tomb of The Mutilated then listened to the music and thought "this is some pretty brutal shit"! the rest is history i guess. The first song by them i heard was A Skull Full Of Maggots

Vulverine's picture

Iron Maiden - Powerslave in '87 !!!

andermatten's picture

twisted sister probably...later guns & roses really got things going

Yngwie Mangosteen's picture

Bon jovi, def lep, guns n roses and poison.from there moved to heavier stuffs..

pan_in_ithyphallic_mirth's picture

TIAMAT!!!!

I literally had not heard any metal albums before them!

AndrewPYL's picture

I was already into rock like Bon Jovi, GNR and Ac/dc but it was Megadeth's Rust in Peace that got me into metal, I still regard it as the greatest thrash album of all time. Seeing the cover in the record store window alone was enough to make me grab it as a 12 year old misfit.

KJS68's picture

Black Sabbath , first album. My dad's stash. Then it went from there. And the awesome record store owner that turn me on to new releases , mercyful fate, metallica, the list goes on if you've never been to L'AMOUR in brooklyn. Oh well ..I lived in there on weekends.

Influx's picture

Nightwish primarily but I didn't actively start seeking out metal until after I had finally seen them live and from there Cradle of Filth

goretore's picture

Kiss and Iron Maiden were my first introductions to heavy metal. Then bands like W.A.S.P., Metallica, and Slayer began to offer the harder edged stylings of metal. The birth of Swedish and Florida death metal graced my ears in the early 90's and the rest is history! \m/

DoctorAMDC's picture

Avenged Sevenfold when I was 12. The Wikipedia page that they are inspired by Iron Maiden and Slayer so I heard them , and I was hooked. At the time, Mike Portnoy was their live drummer and I also heard Dream Theater

Katafalk's picture

Marilyn Manson when I was 12.

Grimlord's picture

Accept, Motörhead, AC/DC, Van Halen and Alice Cooper in the early '90s when I was around 6 years old. I'm glad I got into Hard Rock and Metal before the Alternative/Nu/Crossover crap really started to get popular. Mid-90s I was listening to Saxon, Priest and Maiden. By the late 90s I was into Hypocrisy, Destruction, Kreator, Mercyful Fate, Testament, Celtic Frost, Children of Bodom, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, In Flames and Cannibal Corpse. Early 2000s I was discovering the '80s stuff from Slayer/Metallica/Megadeth/Exodus/Candlemass/Manowar/Venom and the classic 70s stuff by Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath plus the current albums and live gigs of bands like Nevermore, Bolt Thrower and Immolation. A short Black Metal phase started around that time, but strictly scandinavian stuff like Darkthrone, Mayhem, Emperor and Enslaved.

KozmoNaut's picture

Fear Factory, specifically because of the Carmageddon soundtrack, which has instrumental versions of Zero Signal, Demanufacture and Body Hammer. Probably one of the best game soundtracks in history.

oldmate's picture

MetallicA - when i was a kid i saw lots of metallica tshirts.. finally found a guy who a metallica tape, so he dubbed it for me and been a metal head from that day. It just happened to be Master of Puppets so not a bad way to start

BloodH's picture

Iron Maiden

Croby's picture

not exactly metal, but it all began with Thin Lizzy

metalmaciejmetal's picture

Sepultura back in 1999 or so. It was a boot leg concert cassette with Max Cavalera still on vocals. I didn't know what to make of this band. Sounded scary, but I listened a couple of times and became a fan.

The_Cyborg_Slayer's picture

Well, it was actually the Easter egg songs in Call of Duty: Black Ops' zombies mode that got me into metal. The first actual band I got into was Gwar

BRUCE666's picture

A friend played me the first Iron Maiden album when I was about 12 years old. And the rest is history…

Bruce Dickinson inspired me to become a singer (something I have been fortunate to do for many years)

First record I ever bought? Somewhere In Time (1986)

First live show I ever attended? Maiden and Anthrax at the Birmingham NEC Arena (later released as "Maiden England" live album) November 1988

Most recent live shows I attended? Maiden in Prague and Maiden in Krakow (2018)

kereealazer's picture

Megadeth, Metallica, In Flames and All That Remains!

oldmate's picture

Metallica - Master of puppets

CHRISTSODOMIZER's picture

Its not a band but the movie School Of Rock definitely changed my life and kept my interest in hard rock as a young kid see those gibsons and the van just was so awesome at the time

HELLHAMMERED's picture

Used to listen to Kill Em All when I was really little (like 5) with my dad, & got into black & death metal in middle school (cannibal corpse & mayhem were what opened my eyes to extreme metal)

Thiellus's picture

I’ve seen them here a few times already, but it’s the band for me as well:

IRON MAIDEN

before that, I was heavily into bands like KISS, The Rolling Stones, and Queen. Iron Maiden changed everything once I saw them live with my Dad at 11 years old.

Givethemhell's picture

Metallica, Slipknot, Black Sabbath, and Motörhead

Apep's picture

I got introduced to metal after a friend played me Slayer's Show No Mercy sometime in middle school.

blackdeathdker's picture

Justice for all.. live shit. Binge purge. My dad got me these both when I was 6 years old, was hooked there after.

Cosmoblaze's picture

Age 3 = Queen and Pink Floyd;
Age 11= Metallica thanks to my dad
Age 15= Rob Zombie ad Slayer thanks to my older brother

dutch's picture

Black sabbath, scorpions, triumph aerosmith, judas priest, nazareth, montrose, sex pistols, stuff like that.

Dante's picture

In 1987 a friend of mine gave me a tape. A-Side: Manowar - Fighting the world, B-Side: King Diamond - Abigail. That's where it all started. \m/

Into Glory Ride's picture

M A N O W A R

Album: Triumph of Steel.

Yes, that means, my very first Metal song at the age of 10 was 30 minutes long. And i stayed.

428,999 items in the gallery, 832,638 comments, and 272 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• By golly!
  • I ordered this book in November of 2020 along with a LS , but somehow there is a constant delay lol. Still waiting.
  • Astonishing front artwork, really digging this one a lot! Does this pressing come with any inlet, like a lyric sheet?
  • That's an amazing patch!!
  • Perfect
  • Probably the best looking newer patch of this artwork, ever.
  • Your collection is fuckin solid man.
  • Broooo this is so classic. I saw them a long time ago at chain reaction with knights of the abyss!
  • 😮 Wow, I've never even seen this artwork!
  • Jeah i have a motörhead bottlecap on it bit no junk like the things on cans lol
  • Thx for your support man ⚒️🖤
  • Seconded!
  • Great one. Although it is woven not embroidered. :)
  • fuck thats sick
  • Cheers!
  • I haven't seen a red border of this before, it looks fantastic!