TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Patch organization

Berserker_Bill
Thu, 03/12/2020 - 22:14

I’m curious about how you guys organize the patches on your battle vests/jackets. Do you wait til you have a bunch of patches before you start sewing them on or do you do it one at a time? Do you use some kind of hierarchy where your favorite bands are more towards the top and everything else makes its way down the vest/jacket? Do you look for authentic patches or are you okay with boot legs? I’m curious to hear what you guys think.

Metalmate's picture

Start with the back patch and everything will follow. Experiment and be patient hahah. Some patches you sew on may need re-arranging later when new patches arrive. Don't ask just start sowing the damn thing. Buy whatever you like. It's your vest and there are no rules whatsoever.

Berserker_Bill's picture

Lol sounds good man!

oldmate's picture

Good advice !!! "It's your vest and there are no rules whatsoever." 100%

If you like it then do it!

I uses some tape to do a mock up layout of how I wanted my jacket to look. I found that helped me heaps. I had all the patches ready to go

https://tshirtslayer.com/battle-jacket/battle-jacket-back-5

bad_american1992's picture

Smoke a large joint and start playing patch tetris on your denim

Thane's picture

yeah this for sure

MorticiA's picture

+3 Thanks brotha, you won me a Tetris.

OmeletteDuFromage's picture

lmfao, that's the best answer so far. at least that's how i do it

Thane's picture

Do whatever you want, I do 1-2 at a time and visually picture what I want to go on next as I order new stuff.

Lycanthropy's picture

Like Metalmate said, the back is a good place to start. I recommend using strong quality thread, I personally use fishing wire and have never had any patches come close to falling off.

"Do you look for authentic patches or are you okay with boot legs?"
This is a question you should be asking yourself. It's your jacket, You do as you please with it.
Who cares what anyone else thinks. Don't overthink it, the only way you can mess this up is by putting stuff on your vest you dislike.

MorticiA's picture

The aforementioned are correct, though I have some extended advice:

1) Backpatches really do help seal the deal, though I have seen jackets filled up with nothing but small patches with no backpatch. In fact, my first iteration of a jacket was nothing but black and white band name logos; but this would eventually be scrapped. There's a variety of types of backpatches ranging from Printed/sublimated and woven, with woven being a bit more tricky to find depending on the band and/or genre. Also, it doesn't hurt to double stitch your backpatch for added strength. Be wary, some vintage patches can cost anywhere between $45-500 depending on the band... So, if you're presented with the issue of wanting one ask yourself if getting a reproduction shirt and cutting it up into a backpatch for $18-25 is a smarter idea (plus if something happens to it you won't be devastated and won't have to look/wait for another replacement to show up.

2) Some people keep the most favorite at the top of utmost center of the jacket (top, and just below the back patch) and on the shoulders. I've always considered the shoulders to be a "mantle" of some sort, you can put rows of square, circle, or band name logo patches up there and it always looks great. But it really boils down to preference.

3) Check out loads jackets so you have an idea of what you like and you set your self some goals. Like, maybe making a simple jacket, or one jam packed with patches. Understand that you may end up having loads of jacket ideas so don't be surprised if your goals get altered. There are many jacket types, some are based on strict colors, or genres,

4) Personally, I've found that jackets often look their best when they have either shape symmetry or color symmetry, or, sandwiching of either (ie: bright yellow patch in the top left corner, and a bright yellow patch in the lower right corner, you can do this with any patch shape or color.)

5) If your used to apps liek Photoshop and other graphic editing software you can really customize your jacket to your biggest fantasy, you can "try before you buy" by nabbing pics of patches you like and arranging them in whatever order. This way, you don't buy any patches that won't be used (though on the opposite side of things, spare patches are useful for trading and making a 2nd jacket [if you plan to make another.]

6) Get some needle nose pliers, they can be very helpful.

7) Consider buying as many patches from one individual as possible, that way you save on shipping.

8) Optional/suggestion/subjective opinion: Don't let your first jacket be a tribute jacket, reason being is that for me (personally) by the time I got all my Slayer patches for said tribute jacket I changed my mind cause diversity was much more interesting to look at. Also, have a denim jacket for your first because leather takes a longggggg time to do (and leather is not a solution to the elements/weather or durability) yea it does a great job keeping the cold out but water dries out your leather and thus it requires more maintenance.

9) Bootlegs vs official: Honestly, it doesn't matter, this is based purely on preference. Some bootlegs look FARRRRRRRR better than officials (or vice versa,) and some bootlegs are far more affordable (or vice versa.) Ultimately, the rule of thumb is never disregard/underestimate a bootleg patch because they really can be quite stellar. In my experience they often have a higher probability of better quality in graphics. Oh yea, be wary of places like ebay that say something is limited edition when its not, though often times it's true because many small businesses make limited edition patches in batches of 50-100 (typically,) so its best to get them while you can! A good example is Iced Earth - Night of the Stormbringer triangle patch, it's NOT limited edition... But folks like Pull the Plug patches makes official patches in limited number (and they don't make re-issues!)

10) Patches with glue: sew or glue or both? Truth is, sewing is plenty, the glue is just there for quick application and sometimes it's not a true guarantee, plus it leaves glue embedded in your fabric if you plan to swap out the patch. Frankly, glue backing can be more difficult to sew through! Though, if you get a woven backpatch you can buy iron-on glue to help reinforce the stitching, that way you reduce the possibility of snags should something happen. The ultimate truth is, glue isn't going to 100% prevent wrinkles in your patches (generally it depends on their fabrics,) but in general it's an inevitability (besides, this culture LIKES dirty, fucked up jackets!)

11) Get comfortable, your gonna be there for a while, best to put something on in the background. Don't be surprised if 4-6hrs goes by in a snap.

Looking into the darkness's picture

Start sewing your shit on.
Continue until vest is full.
Remove all patches, because you need more space.
Repeat.

You're welcome! %-]

Hliðskialf's picture

Get out of my head!

;)

Looking into the darkness's picture

I KNOW YOU WANT IT TOO, EHEHEHE!! :D

Thane's picture

Woah woah woah you mean start ANOTHER vest, right? 😂

Daniel Sodomaniac's picture

I started out with i think 3 patches 1 Maiden BP and 2 small patches i think it was 1 Running Wild and 1 Slayer.
Many years ago then it just went Metal kaos hahahaha :).
BP is important your fave or one of your fave bands.

BloodFireDeath's picture

I think its an unwritten rule to always start with the backpatch. In my experience it's a little less remodel work if you plan out a layout or save up all your patches instead of just sewin' shit on as you get it.
As with placement, I try to put my cooler looking, rare, or my favorite bands on places that won't be covered by my hair, so I actually tend to put my favorite ones on the bottom or middle ring of the vest. Generally put your favorite ones in places they're going to definitely be seen; like I'm not gonna put my favorite band under my armpit, I want 'em to be right in the front or on a noticeable spot on the back.
For bootlegs, I say it doesn't really matter, as long as the patch looks good and you're actually a fan of the band, use whatever you want.

MorticiA's picture

This reminds me, its a game of give and take where you place you patches in regards to wear and tear and potential staining, so be wary what you want to put on your chest because food and liquids often drop there; also some regions get dirtier quicker or are more prone for wear-and-tear. If this isn't an issue then don't sweat it, just bear in mind that you can make some rarer/more expensive patches last longer depending on where you place them.

kingdomofhannover's picture

We had a longer discussion about layouts and so on in the German Style Kutten here on TSS. Take a look If you want to ;)

MungoBumpkin's picture

I'm fine with bootlegs.

If you're going for the german style/cluster fuck, start with the backpatch, then start putting on rectangular or square patches as close to the edges of the denim as possible. Use triangles and other non square geometric shapes in order to fill space near the arm holes. At the intersection between rectangular patches, put any shape cut patches. Don't be afraid to cover up non essential parts of your backpatch or patches!

RokkinRolli666's picture

For me it's all about where the vest takes you. My regular battle vest has been created slowly over time. As I get them I add patches slowly adding character to the vest. But I have also made a Slayer tribute battle vest and that one was more a collection of patches that I collected then slowly figured out placings on the vest.

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments