TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Painting Jackets

Unjustifiablexi...
Tue, 06/02/2018 - 17:48

So I've seen many painted leather jackets on here and I was wondering what kind of paint you guys use! I wanna paint a jacket myself but I don't know about different kinds of paint and obviously I don't want it to wash off! And I also wanna paint something on a windbreaker which is made out of nylon.. So could anyone here help me out?

Gravesdigger1993's picture

Your best bet is to use Acrylic paint!, this type of paint adheres well on fabric, leather, wood and other textile materials. I've been making my own t-shirts for a long time, and I always use acrylic paint, i also made a battlejacket by making leather patches and painting them using acrylic paint and stencils, but you can also freehand paint. In order to attain the desired results on leather though, you'll have to prepare the surface properly, which means clean your leather and remove any dirt, oil, or dust using a piece or damp cloth and a few drops of Chloroxylenol based liquid such as Dettol, then you can either transfer your design by drawing it with a pencil or cut out a stencil then start painting. Me personally, i use a technique where i place a double adhesive tape on the back oft the design, cut it out, then remove the tape revealing the adhesive, now it's more like a sticker than a stencil which helps me mount the stencil on the surface with ease, then after painting i easily remove it. Best regards \m/

gizter's picture

everything this guy said. i also use crylics, and pud double sided tape on the back of the stencils before cutting them out. it really helps prevent paint from leaking underneat the stencil, and no nead to worry about it moving when painting.
also definitly clean the jacket. the painthings where i didn't clean beforehand show quite some wear.

also get good acrilic paints, dollar store ones are often too thin/lacking pigment.

MinaWalkure's picture

On leather I've used both acrylics and textiles paints. I mostly prefer textile, if possible by Setacolor Opaque: great results, great coverage and the easiest paint to work with (not a single brush stroke to notice in my world), nice drying time, and a beautiful color palette by default.You can mix colours easily as well.
With acrylics you can work as well in leather, but I don't really enjoy doing so. The win for acrylics at first, was the range of colours, but as I said before: textile paint (that brand) is quite easy to mix.
There are plenty of shitty textile paints as well, with shitty coverage and thick as fuck that could definetly ruin the experiencie...
With nylon I would definetly recomend to go with textiles as otherwise, you'll probably find breaks un some time...
With any of those materials, you can also use a coat of barnish to protect the paint. Just ask in the craft store about it.
Hope It was useful and you have fun painting!

overkill386's picture

i use Angelus leather paint products, the best imo. i clean the leather first with some saddle soap. i also have a heat gun to dry the paint faster. clear coat when its done, i change the gloss level depending on the design but my favorite is a matte coat since it keeps a more natural leather look

robertjulian's picture

Leather or denim, this trend is killing it right now. And we are here to show you how you can create one of your very own! So practice your โ€œwifeyโ€ script and brush up on your flower painting skills, this is about to be a super fun โ€œhow-toโ€ post!. You can get from https://tickarise.com/most-powerful-paintball-gun/.

jaganar's picture

DIGGER , i just got the rammstien ( america shirt ) small to put on my leather vest . my plan was to put my soulmates family name in norse runes ( german girl) along with her tattoo so you guys are really helping me out here with the acrylic reply .
plus i was told by the art teacher i work with ONCE YOU DO THE PATTERN , hang it up to dry .

she said most of tall TAKE YOUR TIME, pace yourself with each stroke.

and NO SEALER

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments