TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Reinforcing sublimated backpatch image?

MorticiA
Wed, 13/01/2021 - 07:04

Hello all, I've been noticing that sublimated backpatches feel very soft and I fear that even a thumbtack sized pin can poke a nasty and permanent hole into them (I've seen it happen before,) so has anyone tried reinforcing it with a spray-on clear coat or something akin to that? I want to make sure my purchases can handle some abuse/live a long time. (I had got a patch from MyMetalPatches.com, and I dunno how good their BPS are._

MorticiA's picture

ques que sai "bin"?

Heavy Metal Chemist's picture

Do you have some old denim jackets or pants laying around? Maybe it's an idea to reinforce the back patch by carefully gluing the denim (2 layers) on with "stitching glue". Make sure you do not use too much as it might penetrate the back patch, so use as little as possible. I recommend first testing it on a sublimated patch which you do not feel much for.

MorticiA's picture

Mmm, I've got that glue but I'm referring to image it's self, not the back of the patch, I want to toughen up the front of the patch where the image is. I'd use that glue but I don't have much sublimated stuff to try it on, and I'm not sure how clear/translucent the outcome would be.

I misunderstood you. I did not know you meant reinforcing the front. That actually sounds like a tricky business if you ask me. I'm quite sure there is some transparent stuff that you could use, but I'm afraid most will come in organic solvents which might damage the print.

MorticiA's picture

Yea, that was a concern of mine too, solvents, or even just the chemicals in general. You bring up another thought, how chemically resistant are those inks? (rhetorically speaking.) Like if Alcohol (drinking) or even isopropyl alcohol is spilled on it will it leech colors? 60% of me says no, cause the ink is supposed to bond with the fabrics during the sublimation process, but the other part of me thinks it could happen? Ey dunno o.o. Sometimes I wonder if a heafty layer of starch would work, but then that is soluble in water/rain.

Alcohol (ethanol) and isopropanol are not nasty solvents, so my expectation is that nothing will happen. These solvents are more 'water-like'. I think these transparent reinforcement compounds come in solvents like toluene and xylene which are much harsher to ink than the alcoholic solvents. I'm less concerned about the chemicals that actually reinforce. These probably polymerize to form a sort of 'plastic' coating upon evaporation of the solvent.
I would always be careful and test on stuff you don't care for.

MorticiA's picture

Good to know. Yea I know of Toluene and Xylene cause I watch chemist videos on YT leisurely (like Nurdrage, Nile Red, and when Chemplayer used to be on.)

And yea, I'd do tests as well on lesser patches.

Thanks for the help man!!

Samppa666's picture

Laminating would make it stronger but the heat needed could fuck up the sublimated patch and a laminated patch might not look good.

Ive made the mistake of laminating tickets which were not printed via heat resistent ink, goodbye suffocatiom & cannibal corpse tickets.

MorticiA's picture

Good to know, and AGHH~ that sucks man!

576,976 items in the gallery, 883,644 comments, and 659 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments