TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Fading shirts colours

pigwalk42
Wed, 19/06/2019 - 15:34

I know many people want to (re)dye black their shirts ... but on the opposite do anyone have useful tips on how to fade pitch black shirt to give them that vintage look ? Kinda greyish natural look..

tried many stuff like sodium bicarbonate, lemon juice, salt and even a bit of bleach but the result tends more towards the brownish than grey... unsuccessful so far ...

I mean there must be a way as textile Companies now invade the market with vintage type textile...

judascrust's picture

just be patient and keep wearing/washing them, no sense in wasting time and money to make a brand new shirt look vintage when it's not... keep them around a few years and they'll start to fade on their own :)

pigwalk42's picture

Agreed, My shirts are all at different stages in terms of wearing and fading so I wouldn’t force it nor bother
but after a few tests on textile samples it seems the best cocktail to fade black is sodium hydroxide, salt and a lot of soap and heat this up.
What i noticed on Today’s black textiles, is that manufacturers add some dark blue as molecules to the black dye process to bring this shiny effect.

nameless_rites's picture

When I lived in a more tropical climate I found out by accident that just leaving clothes in strong sunlight for a few days will fade the color as well.

pigwalk42's picture

That’s right it’s a fading factor too !

KXH's picture

I put some of my shirts flat in the sun for a few days straight, they faded A LOT.
Be careful for 'lines' on the sides though, that's wjere the sun didn't hit as much.

So putting them on a hanger and hangt them on a washline is probably better.

it works!

TheSabbathsCreed's picture

Get your time machine and go back to the start of the beneath the remains tour

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments