TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

"pingy" snares

judascrust
Wed, 02/05/2018 - 01:07

In the more extreme metal genres, I love when the snare drum has a "pingy" tone to it, sounding much like hitting a cast iron pan with a wooden spoon. The much loathed "st. anger" drum sound - shit album but I love that drum sound in a blastbeat.
In trying to discover extreme bands that have this sound, I've usually been finding it in brutal death metal bands like Brodequin, Excoriation and Baalsebub. I would like to hear it more in black metal and grindcore bands as well - diversity!! The only black metal bands ive heard this sound on is Czech black metal band Kult Ofenzivy on their "Radikální ateismus - Tvůrcům Nadčlověka" album and Drudkh "Enstrangement".

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

nameless_rites's picture

I've always wanted to hear what a bronze shelled Stewart Copeland signature snare would sound like on a death metal album, never heard this either

CHRISTSODOMIZER's picture

Cianide, haggus, Agathocles, archagathus, weedeous mincer

judascrust's picture

Can't recall hearing it on any agathocles, it's been a long time since I listened to them and they have hundreds of releases too haha - although I did see agathocles and archagathus on ag's tour of the u.s. last year and I remember the snare drum they shared was tuned very tightly and I think had the coils down as well - sounded great!
Cianide is one I've known about for years and years and never checked them out.... I'll have to go get back into agathocles again, I'll look into the others too!

GoreGrinder666's picture

Sulferic Cautery, Deterioration, Couple Skate, Pizza Hi-Five, Last Days Of Humanity, Shit Life, Lt. Dan, Lunk.

Look for any Mincore bands out of Ohio, USA. They have been pushing out bands that have pingy snares for almost 10 years

butcheredalive's picture

The album Putrefaction In Progress by LDOH is what comes to my mind when the cast iron snare is mentioned

MorticiA's picture

I hear ya about St. Anger, the sound was cool and should have been on some other bands album. Ironically, 'still better than Death Magnetic.

I'll take Pingy snares over Pocky snares, they sound too hollow and the pingy sounds have the teeth/bite that I look for.

I've run into some Gorgoroth songs with that awesome sound, their cover of MayheMs' Life Eternal is rock solid. I've found that their early to mid 2000s era is best (Gaahl & King era.) To me the snare sounds like a Pinball bumper: hard, deliberate, solid, full range, metal. You may also like Origins' Antithesis, it's a masterpiece though I don't think its got the "ping" that you're after, but, it's utterly fucking harsh, grinding, disharmonic, if all else fails this album is a MUST.

Chab's picture

Have you heard Craft -total soul rape ? Its from same 2000s era and It has a great pingy snare.

MorticiA's picture

No, but thanks for the recommendation I'll check 'em out.

judascrust's picture

not quite what I would call "pingy" but a very satisfying tone nonetheless - sounds a bit like the snare on Incubus / Opprobrium "beyond the unknown", that's another one i love the drum sound on

Chab's picture

I think for a bm record its pretty pingy... The first strokes on the intro track (world of plague) demonstrates it. But. Im sure there are better examples. This one just came to mind first.

That incubus snare is great but to my ears it sounds more flat as opposed to that ringy tone

AbysmalWind's picture

Try Adversarial - All Idols fall before the hammer. If you manage to survive the chaos, drop me a (coke) line, sir :D

Nagurufa's picture

YouTube "Pigsty -The Universe Pig + Monkey = The Essence Of Existence", is that the sound you looking for?

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments