TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

How Do You Guys Sew? Patches, BP's, Ect..

SatanicGutsFuck
Sat, 30/09/2017 - 20:58

Im Very Curious To Hear How You Guys Prefer To Sew Patches, Sounds Like A Good Topic To Me!

StainedMetal's picture

My mother did the initial sewing. Then I heated them up with an iron. She has passed since then and I added a few new ones. I handsewed and hit it with heatbond. Though for the pocket applications I heat bonded with "strategic" hand sewing. Oh yeah i paid a tailor to put a few on too. Like 5 bucks each. They don't do the tricky ones like mount more than six inches down the sleeve or on a pocket panel without sewing it shut.

Unjustifiablexistence's picture

I am curious too.. I mean I guess it depends on the material really but leather seems quite tricky to me!

satan's radish's picture

I don't "prefer" it, but I sew everything by hand, as it's the most simple (though tedious and time-consuming) method for me. I use a crude combination of line stitching, back stitching and overcast stitching. I try to make the stitching as inconspicuous as possible most of the time.

Pantos's picture

I line up the patch where I want it and put pins in it to make sure it stays level. Then I just sew using black thread doubled up. I try to use small stitches so it stays on more securely. I have a multicolored Scream Bloody Gore patch that I did use more than one color of thread for, though.

MelFromHell's picture

I've always hand sewn mine (using a blanket stitch) from day one, but recently I've gotten my mother in law to repair the patches that are falling off with the sewing machine instead. I think if you're handy with one that is definitely the way to go rather than sewing by hand because they're a lot more secure, unless you're some expert sewer in which case both work as well I guess. I've had no problems since especially with things I've added extra like zips and pockets on the interior. So yeah, sewing machine for the win

Corvus Corax's picture

It depends on what type of patch. If it's a canvas patch, I use a standard stitch to get it in-place, then go back over it with a back-stitch which keeps the patch secure and allows the patch to fray naturally without it falling-off. If it's embroidered; standard stitch. All by hand. Because I don't own a sewing machine but, I'd probably still do it by hand if I did.

chainsawrentalshop's picture

I always sew by hand.
As yarn I use one what's made to sew on buttons.
It's stronger than normal yarn.

N0ctulius's picture

I sew by hand, I used to use thread but now i've been using floss. It's a lot easier to sew with and looks cooler imo. Sometimes I use pins depending on how large the patch is.

DukeThylacine's picture

I'm in the process of collecting patches for a vest, and I do have a sewing machine, but I'm still curious about the materials you guys use.
Has anyone tried polyester?
Must the sewing thread be strong or not?

DerpTheDevil's picture

Yes!!

If your patch gets caught behind someting it will get ripped straight off. I prefer to use thicker thread wich I can not break with my hands. Put it through the needle, pull untill in the middle of your piece of thread, now you should have two pieces that you will both sew through the jacket in one pass of the needle, tie couple knots and insert through the bottom of the jacket. The knot
will keep the thread in place.

But that's ofcourse if you end up doing it by hand, just make sure the thread is strong hehehe

Search some tutorials up on YouTube, that's what I did and I learned a lot from that!

Good luck, cheers ;)

DukeThylacine's picture

I never thought about that technique you said. Sounds interesting, but I'd rather try the machine because it's stronger (?)
Thanks a million!

Freyjawulf's picture

Hand sewing eternal, always DIY.

DarkValkyrieofDeath's picture

my grandma sewed my back patch on with a machine, then i sewed the rest of my patches by hand, i have to re-do my jacket so ill prolly just sew another backpatch on by hand it'll take a while... honestly i prefer to use a machine when it comes to backpatches but other patches needed some specialization i can only get with my hand to avoid sewing over pockets and such

Influx's picture

everything hand sewed, around the edges sorta under the border, then over the border of the patch then additional reinforcement on the corners especially. Its more just a mental exercise for me though, I find it relaxing so as much as I love my sewing machine, hand stitching only for my patches! (took half the blind guardian discography for me to stitch my backpatch on though)

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments