TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

How to harden screen print ?

archive
Tue, 25/05/2021 - 16:37

Hello!

I wanted to know if anyone knew how to harden screen print on shirts, e.g. make it crack.
Old shirt ink tent to harden over time, crack etc...

how do i achieve this ?

is there a way to artifically recreate this ?

is this possible with water based ink too ? or only plastisol...

>attached image is what im trying to achieve...

Thank you !

MorticiA's picture

Um, that's a curious request. Offhand, no. It's gonna require regular wear and exposure to UV from the sun; ya gotta EARN that worn look ;D

As for what kinds of Paints can do this, I know that Acrylic Fabric paint can do this, my 20 year old large Operation Ivy patch was done with Fabric Paints (Folk Art brand if I recall correctly [don't quote me on that, I don't have the tube of paint in the house as it's in storage.])

stevenICB's picture

Regular wear plus running it through a dryer on hot could help to achieve this.

Samppa666's picture

I agree with previous commenters but this idea just bumped in to my head, maybe it could help to achieve the effect; print thick as hell, dry the print for a long time under a hot lamp and let it visit the dryer.

allthesemonsterkids's picture

Thick plastisol print + cure for less time than usual + wash hot + hot dryer = cracking / flaking. Water-based inks are much less prone to crack, though it sometimes happens with cure times that are way too long. As for discharge prints, forget it -- they virtually never crack unless the ink hasn't been allowed enough time to really sink into the fabric.

John Christ's picture

I hope you are not planning on selling new boots as old haha. Regarding the topic i know that people who relic new guitars use cooler spray to get the nitrocellulose laquer to crackle, so maybe in combination with the dryer trick it will get you there.

That being said i agree with the statements before, just "earn" it by wearing it for years!

GoreGrinder666's picture

The best way to recreate the cracked paint effect you can look online for a Photoshop brush set. Here's a company that makes em.https://simonstratford.com/shop/textures/vintage-plastisol-cracked-textures

hongfun's picture

there is 2 ways , make crack print directly, or with stonewashing to make the old

578,656 items in the gallery, 884,161 comments, and 671 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments