TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Bootleg CD's / legitimate press, best practices to find out correct versions?

laurensgrFCDB
Sat, 17/03/2018 - 15:27

Hey everybody,

Looking for advice regarding the following:
I have some CD's in my collection that are (according to discogs) legitimate original 1st presses. (my CD's contain the same matrix, SID and bar codes)
however, I read from various sources on the web that many east-European bootlegs are around that have this codes as well but are in fact not legitimate copies.

Does anyone of you know a good reliable source (except for Discogs) that can help me find out if my versions are real or not?
If possible with some pictures from the real versions and from the fake bootleg presses.

The reason I ask this is that I attended the Netherlands Deathfest 2 weeks ago and found 2 sellers that claimed to sell the first press of Demigod - Slumber of sullen eyes.
The first seller sold it for 15 euros
The second seller sold if for 100 euros
both claimed that the CD was the real first press version. I compared the 2CD's and both indeed were identical. (both CD contained the same Matrix, SID and bar codes as well as the same exact fonts, colors and artwork) however the quality of CD's where a bit to "newish" so I doubt it where real first presses.

Some other CD's I own and am not sure about are:

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of death (grindcore version)
Incubus - Serpent Temptation (1996 repress)

Thank you all!

meaningless's picture

i guess..the best way maybe could be to compare yours with a copy of some1 (maybe from here) who rly have the 'original' one, because he bought it back in time, when it came out. So you can 100% sure..he/she bought it 1991 (or whatever). Then compare pics of CD and Booklet... maybe you can figure it out on that way :) ...just a thought... :)

laurensgrFCDB's picture

I was afraid of this being the only way. Thanks for the input nevertheless!

Grimlord's picture

the only way to find out for sure is to compare matrix code fonts with someone who owns the original. it's the only thing these counterfeiting assclowns haven't mastered 100%.

laurensgrFCDB's picture

Even then its hard to see I think :(

Grimlord's picture

it's not that hard with a seasoned eye. there's only a handful where it's a little harder to distinguish. the Grindcore pressing of Morbid Saint on discogs is legit as is Serpent Temptation, so you can compare it to the pics on there.

this is how the boot looks: https://www.discogs.com/Incubus-Serpent-Temptation/release/6001200 (notice the IFPI code is not there)

whoever sells Demigod for 15 euro is selling a fake (maybe he doesn't know any better)

laurensgrFCDB's picture

bought the 15 euro one because it looked the same and I trust this seller more than the other one that sold it for 100.
maybe because he knew it was a bootleg it only costed my 15 :P
I am not supporting the bootleggers but I must admit the sound quality is good on the version i bought...

Grimlord's picture

make a pic of the matrix area and post it in here - I can tell you if it's fake cause I own the original...

laurensgrFCDB's picture

What parts do you need to have on the picture? only the front and back or also the matrix codes on the CD itself?

Grimlord's picture

matrix code is the only sure way to tell

EQA's picture

It's kind of rough and there's probably not so much that could be done besides the obvious but I would at least like to say that it's clear that most of us on here do our best to avoid any music or merchandise that is counterfeit. As long as we actively keep that attitude then we're doing a great job of supporting all this music!

laurensgrFCDB's picture

agree with you 100%
I only don't like the idea of financially supporting people that are making money the illegal way