TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

What is your METAL highlight of 2019 ?

oldmate
Thu, 12/12/2019 - 11:21

What was your metal highlight of 2019. It can be anything metal related.
- Got to see a band live
- Got a good piece of merch
- Found a Rare album for cheap
- did a really nice tig weld on some stainless pipes

Anything metal

oldmate's picture

I will start. I am going to be one of them assholes that lists 2 things....

The highlight for me was seeing Phil Anselmo live twice! I am a fucking tragic Pantera fan, so seeing him live made my year in metal.

a very close second was meeting Joey from Anthrax at the airport. That did was fucking cool as. Happy to chat and take photos and sign shit for people. The reast of the band were hiding in the frequent flyers lounge.

Nater90's picture

Damn didn't know Prong was still around haha, sounds good!!

bad_american1992's picture

FInally seeing Exhorder live after years and years of listening to them was my highlight. No one at the venue knew who they were, but they got the entire crowd was headbanging after 3 songs. Vinnie and Kyle were cool as fuck too!

Merch wise: finally tracked down an Archgoat back patch that I've been hunting since 2013. Feels good, man.

meaningless's picture

hm...THE metal-thing above all other things this year, for me...was....
SACRED REICH in a small club!! Finaly saw this 'all time love' i a small club as headliner, face to face..it was FUCKING unbelieveable!!!
I still have to grin from left to right, thinking on this night!! Get my ticket signed, chatting with them a bit.
Fucking yes, thats my metal-highlight above all other things this year :D

oldmate's picture

I got my tickets for their Australian show with Vio-lence looking very forward to it

meaningless's picture

they are so unbelievable good atm...its crazy!!!! hahaha u'll love it :D

Horta's picture

I saw them twice this year and I can totally relate!
The way they interacted with people during and after the show gave you the feeling that they love what they're doing and it made the crowd go even wilder. Thats why I love small clubs!

meaningless's picture

Everything u said: I cant say it better. U nailed it! ..sadly i just saw em 1 time...hahaha...but anyway...haha cchheerrrsssss
(next gig for me: Desaster, here in my home-town..(Klagenfurt!!) still cant believe it they rly play here..haha)

MetalNDN's picture

Seen live this year: Cannibal Corpse with Morbid Angel. Judas Priest as well. Then Goatwhore. Then Slayer for 11th and last time. And Morbid Angel with Watain and Incantation.

slayerslayer's picture

mostly Slayer related , but not really about the band.
1. travelling to melbourne to hang out, drink beer , and catch up with old friends , some i havent caught up with for 20 years , to go to see slayer.
2. travelling to adelaide for an overnighter , with a new mate, to see slayer .thanks mate - grouse evening.
3. travelling to USA to see slayer for the 2nd last timein lasvegas, and the last time , with my long time metal mates from USA in losangeles.
4, booking a ticket to see Obituary in 2020 ... looking forwards , not back
5. TSS is still ok

oldmate's picture

haha@ number 5 :)

judascrust's picture

Jesus, I have only been to 2 shows all year - saw immolation and morbid angel on the decibel tour back in March and saw come to grief w/psycho back in October. Was gonna go see obituary this weekend (playing slowly we rot start to finish!) but can't afford it... I've seen them a few times tho so no huge deal I guess :/ Also had to miss the return of doom juggernauts Warhorse last month because I ended up having to work late so that was a little slap in the balls haha

bought lots of band shirts and horror movie shirts this year, few cds... Not very exciting "metal" year for me I guess but next year I've seen that vader and rotting christ are touring the states and will be in New Hampshire, 20 minutes from my house, on Saturday nights each time so hopefully I can make those!

Joel's picture

Seeing Kroda at Steelfest. Unreal experience. Other highlights included attending Destroying Texas & Metal Threat for the first time, seeing Mortiis play an outstanding show in Oakland, Portugal's Black Cilice at Never Surrender right here in the Bay Area, Yosuke & co. opening NWN!'s Eastern Front Records in Oakland, seeing Vargrav & Monarque twice, seeing Angantyr at Messe des Morts, seeing Ancient play Svartalvaheim & Trolltaar in their entirety at Messe des Morts and seeing Samael play nothing but material from Worship Him & Blood Ritual under the name of W. A. R. (Worship and Ritual) at Messe des Morts. Oh and finally, seeing fukking Horna with 600+ other maniacs in Los Angeles county after they got Bay Area'd up here.

KiWi's picture

Difficult to say, there are to “hot” candidates for the metal thing of the year.
In the beginning of May we were camping at the “A Chance for Metal” Festival, 666 guests, lots of smaller bands playing, very good mood all around – unfortunately temperature was close to zero and while we very sitting in the camp already wearing everything we brought it started snowing gently. Then the ice cream truck arrived and rang its bell and of course we got a nice bunch of ice cream. Believe it or not, ice cream is Heavy Metal! And the ACFMF always worth visiting.

The other thing was being at the Rock Hard festival. It is held in an amphitheatre on a riverbank and it turns the complete neighbourhood metal every year. That is nice because no matter whether the line up is worth the money you can go there and have fun, even without tickets. Which is what we did, we were just hanging around the area drinking cheap beer and hearing some metal from far occasionally. Best part was sitting on the river bridge during sunset, seeing Anthrax from the rear (that is the back of the stage and the crowd) and sharing the experience with the best mates ever.

Oh, and my company bought a new Griphoist pulling device with 20 m steel cable… winding up this shitty cable by hand is a hell of fun every time, not even talking of heavy!

oldmate's picture

why by hand ?

YogTheKeyToTheGate's picture

2019 Mark's five years of being a metalhead. I'm currently 20 and I got into metal since 14 starting with bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. Now I am huge into extreme merak and also many other genres.

Besides that, I got my first black metal CD (Taake) and my first death metal CD (Carcass or Cianide). I think I may have close to 20 at this point. I was just recently buying CDs since I am finally working. I also got my first black metal LP which was my second overall. I currently have 5 LPs and I have one coming in the mail soon.

I got my first metal shirt which was Mayhem and I have several more.

And, or course, my battle vest. I started this year during the summer and while it is not 100% finished I still love how it is at the moment. That was pretty much metal for me in 2019.

oldmate's picture

cool as!!! its a good time to be a metal head ! so much good new music

A. Serpens's picture

Seeing The Cavalera brothers perform Return to Beneath Arise in Copenhagen, and meeting the guys afterwards was cool... nice little chat we got ourselves, and of course getting Max's book signed, plus the Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains and Arise signed as well... -although ONLY one thing was allowed to get signed :D

Plus seeing Konkhra perform for the first time in years, with nice Danish Detest as warm-up band \m/,

Cheers, and
STAY HEAVY!!!

MorticiA's picture

Seeing the Misfits live. They were actually better than Iron Maiden who played a day earlier in some strange turn of fate. Blasphemous I know, but it's true, 'Maiden was not on their game and were messing up fairly common; but hey, they recovered great, and the sets were fantastic (sound quality sucked.) Anyway, The Misfits are like one of my most favorite of bands, they duke it out between 1st and 2nd depending on my mood, so go fig. Not enough tickets sold for the 2nd floor, so they moved everyone on 2nd to the first floor free of charge. Regardless, the crowd was singing LOUDLY with the band (No joke, on-time, on-key, L-O-U-D with the band,) even Danzig said quarter through the set "You're sounding pretty good!" I found myself tearing up many many times while singing with the crowd and Danzig, and even the day after watching videos of the show still brought tears to my eyes as the passion from the band and crowd was still there on the live-recording. Lomadro was the shyt, he captured that raw energy of the old live shows from the 70s & 80s even if the song speed was based off the LPs/CDs and not like the old days where it was nearly at Grindcore speeds. Oh yea, and Danzig was totally 100% on his game, the recorded reunion videos do not do him justice, and certainly hearing a very loud crowd is enough to empower his ego and put more passion in his vocals. #coommmebackOakland. lol.

Nabbed all kind of goodies this year: Slayer: Triangular Goat Skull patch, Woven Reign in blood (red border) 4x4 patch, x2 Nocturnus The Key 4x4 patch (one for me, and one for my girl,) Napalm Death Scum woven 4x4 patch, Acid Witch The Witch House backpatch, MayheM DotBH backpatch (fully woven.) The Odin the All-Father and Vishnu have been good to me.

DeathFuckinMetal's picture

Probably seeing Incantation live! They were awesome! Spoke to John before and after the gig, very nice guy! They were like an hour or so behind the time schedule. So they didn't finish their set until like 2 in the morning! But it was totally worth it! I don't think they had been to Adelaide since like 2003 and fuck knows when they'll come again if they ever do, so yeah i'm really glad i got to see them!

Nater90's picture

Finally after all these years getting to see Opeth! Always sold out before I could get a ticket, went crazy ticket wise was fourth row, everything I wanted and more, seeing Cradle of Filth play Cruelty and the Beast in it's enitiety plus more with Dave (aka TheSabbathsCreed), and seeing Emperor play Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk and more.

This year was a top year for gig's here!

Nater90's picture

Cheers Doc!

Nater90's picture

Fuck, Forgot about Blasphemy!! What an evening that was, absolute brutal and chaotic... Nocturnal Grave Desecrator and Black Winds nearly fell off stage... But got back up and kept singing.

MetalNDN's picture

Forgot to add. Possessed has a new album out. I liked it a lot. Just waiting for the USA tour now in WA state.

quixotic's picture

Tool live in Berlin.

I still get goosebumbs.

Hárbarðr's picture

Seeing Enslaved live here in Santiago.

Had been waiting for that for about 10 years, and the fact that they played the day after i gave (and passed!) the final exam to become a lawyer, and that they chose to play many of the first songs i ever heard from them (Loke, Fenris, Havenless) made it even better. I’ll never forget that night.

oldmate's picture

Nice work on seeing the band and becoming a Lawyer !!

Hárbarðr's picture

Thanks!

Jen Gruesome's picture

Great topic!

Got to see a band live -- King Diamond in Poland! What a highlight of my year.
Got a good piece of merch -- My very cool Obscene Extreme shoes, couldn't resist picking a pair up while at the fest.
Found a Rare album for cheap -- I guess not too rare, but I was pretty chuffed to get my hands on original release of Repulsion record.

\m/

Jen Gruesome's picture

I have so much to add to my gallery! 2020 goals. ;)

Aaron_gallagher's picture

Gotta say, 2019 was a monumental year in metal for me.
Went to a ton of concerts, got super involved in the culture, grew out my hair and even started a battle jacket!
Gotta say, out of everything, my favorite memory was seeing dragonforce in October.
It was my first time seeing them ( one of my my favorite bands), and my first show at a general admission venue. I got there super early to guarentee I got a spot close to the stage, and it was worth it. Barricade spot, baby!!!
The openers were kickass and I met one of them (Starkill) at the merch booth after the show. Got a picture, they were super nice, the while shibang.
The theatrics were insane. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of seeing dragonforce live, it's over the top. They had giant arcade video game cabinets the guitarists played on top of, confetti cannons, and a light up carbon dioxide "flamethrower" the vocalist kept blasting us In The face with.
Killer setlist, all of my favorites.
The highlight of the night was when the vocalist jumped in the crowd literally right in front of me and crowd surfed while singing during the final song.
Sorry for the long gush about this show, but it was the best one of my life, I just had to share.
Horns up in 2020! 🤘

Metalmate's picture

1. Discovering this album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzf-ULOOqQY&t=1302s
2. Having my first official credit on a metal release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2IbNI_wVmk
3. The vinyl release of this album: https://www.discogs.com/Malevolent-Creation-The-Will-To-Kill/release/137...
4. Seeing my girlfriend crowdsurf for the first time in her life
5. Midnight destroying it at Keep It True 2019 was fantastic!

Reinhardt's picture

Cirith Ungol played live in Finland, so I got that going for me which is nice.
Oh, I found and purchased original VOMITOR Roar of War demo tape.