TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

What, for you, are the most significant years in Metal history?

Joel
Wed, 06/07/2016 - 16:29

I'm interested in knowing. Could it be a certain year that saw the release of a particular album (or albums) that you believe either define & perfect a certain style of Metal or had a major influence on it's respective strain of Metal? Could it be a year that you consider the beginning of a golden age for a particular band or style of Metal or could it just be a year that you feel produced a large volume of high quality albums? Let's converse people!

Der Todesking's picture

Lots of my favourite albums came out in 1985/1986. Venom "Possessed", Sodom "Obsessed by Cruelty", Bathory "The Return", Celtic Frost "To Mega Therion", Exodus "Bonded by Blood", Possessed "Seven Churches"..... Also Morbid Angel & Master recorded albums in 85 (Master) & 86 (MA), that came out years later...

Joel's picture

Tons of amazing albums were released in those two years. I like and love all of those albums you mentioned. I would also add to that list Somewhere in Time, Pleasure to Kill, Blaspheme's Desir de Vampyr, Onslaught's The Force, Darkness Descends, Chastain's Mystery of Illusion and Ruler of the Wasteland, Running Wild's Branded and Exiled, Trojan's Chasing the Storm, Hell Awaits, Vicious Rumors' Soldiers of the Night, Omen's Warning of Danger, Pentagram's Relentless... the list goes on and on really.

Der Todesking's picture

Yeah, for sure, list can go on & on... Destruction's Infernal Overkill & Eternal Devastation, Sepultura Morbid Visions, King Diamond Fatal Portrait....

Joel's picture

All excellent entries! Can't believe I flaked out on mentioning Destruction. Infernal Overkill is one of the best!

invisible-horizons's picture

From 86, you forgot to mention Awaken The Guardian, Stronger Than Heaven, The Dark, Skeptics Apocalypse, Menace To Society, Scarred For Life, etc.

Joel's picture

The Dark is my favorite Metal Church album. Thanks for reminding me man.

It was my first and possibly still my favorite. It's a toss up with the first three albums.

imfan1975's picture

1999 for me. Immolation - "Failures for Gods" came out that year and I consider that one of if not my favorite album of all time.

Joel's picture

That's one of their best.

kissman's picture

1980 mark the year of historical landmark Metal albums

Joel's picture

YES!!! I absolutely agree with you 100% on that. I've long held the belief that early/mid 1980 was when Metal finally became a fully-fledged genre. That's when Maiden released their self-titled debut, Angel Witch was introduced to the world with Baphomet on Metal for Muthas and the Flight 19 single was released, Wheels of Steel, British Steel, and Heaven and Hell were released and Ronnie started throwing up the sign of the horns. All of that combined with banging one's head and denim, leather and studs began Metal's reign.

Der Todesking's picture

Agreed!

Der Todesking's picture

The time 1989-1991 was great with tape-trading & fanzines, discovering each week another awesome DM band/demo. Lots of high quality Death Metal released during these years!

Joel's picture

1989-1992/1993 was the golden age right there!

Vectrex's picture

Depends on the Genre for me. To me in general 1984-1989.
For Black Metal: 2003 to present.

Joel's picture

Regarding Black Metal, for me it would be 1992 through 1996.

cambotero's picture

I think that every year that passes it's a succes for Heavy Metal.

Joel's picture

More longevity!

satan's radish's picture

In terms of personal discovery, pretty much every year from 2000-2004. Hard to pick just one, because I discovered so many things in that span of time. That span of years shaped my tastes substantially. I can't pick just one year that I consider important in general, though.

Nater90's picture

2001, Slipknot - Iowa
2004, Slipknot - Vol.3 (The Subliminal Verses)

Their new stuff I'm not as keen on, But these albums sparked my interest in Metal and exploring more, Till I heard them I had only a handful of Metal songs, Prior to that was Pop and Rock Bands my parents had on in the car.

I understand Slipknot is everyone's taste but at the end of the day that doesn't worry me one bit, They mean a lot to me, As do many bands and albums, I've explored and enjoyed so much different stuff over the years and it has been one hell of a great time.

Just never stop exploring and researching because you never know what you might uncover.

Joel's picture

I remember being into Slipknot for about 5 minutes back in 1999 when their first album was released. You know what's funny about them? Their deceased original bassist Paul Gray had a Dawn of Possession tattoo. I wonder if any of Slipknot's fans asked him about that tattoo and became introduced to some very high quality Death Metal as a result.

I've seen that tattoo. The drummer was also big into Death Metal. If I remember correctly, there's a part in the book "Choosing Death", that talks about him setting up local shows.

I was only into them for a short minute as well. I moved on and I never turned back!

Joel's picture

Good for you man!

Nater90's picture

Still need to get that book...But yeah Joey is very fond of Death Metal.

I don't regret getting into them for one minute, I don't listen to them as often as I used to but I listen to such a vast array there is a lot of bands I neglect for a while.

Nater90's picture

I like their debut but the ones I mentioned hold more personal meaning to me.

Yeah would be interesting to see how many, I didn't personally I discovered them by researching Death Metal and what albums people regard as classics of the genre.

Joel's picture

That of course is a more conventional way to go about it.

Nater90's picture

Indeed, Found a lot of gems that way, I get called an elitist for wanting to know information about stuff but I just enjoy reading about my passion..

Joel's picture

You and I are in the same camp then. I pride myself on being a Metal geek to the point where I can point out specific details (e. g. Emperor's logo was done by Christophe Szpajdel, the artwork for Nightside was done by Necrolord, etc.)

Nater90's picture

I don't go that far haha, But certain bands I just need to know a lot about I guess..Like Mayhem and Morbid I have 30 or so releases for them two bands and still need more.

Joel's picture

Some people are completists. You've gotta have everything!

satan's radish's picture

The first time I heard Slipknot was in '99 when I received a promo tape of songs off of their then-upcoming s/t album. I lived in Mississippi at the time, so there was not much to hear/discover, except for what I read about in shitty rags like Circus/Hit Parader, or saw on TV, or heard on those mostly awful "Street Wise" promotional tapes. Honestly, I thought they were really good at the time.

I can't say I feel the same today, but to their credit, they were one of the more fresh and innovative bands I'd heard up to that point. Even now, I can look back on that time and appreciate the interesting production and experimental flourishes the band used. They really were better than a lot of the other garbage I was hearing (and enjoying) in the mid-to-late 90's. In fact, they were one of the very last mid/late-90's alternative/numetal bands I clung to for a few years after after moving out of the cultural void that is Mississippi.

Nater90's picture

Nice!!! Yeah was a good era.

Yeah I don't feel the same about their newer stuff but their older stuff and that era was just one of those killer moments.

Do many bands come your way?

Influx's picture

Definitely going to have to agree. Vol. 3 was the first Slipknot album I listened to and while 2007 was when I got into metal (via symphonic stuff which itself seemed to be going through a big transition) Slipknot gave me the idea of a community. I felt really welcomed into it with my fellow maggots and it was great. I saw it as more than just music but this sorta big extended family.

Its why I still wear my Slipknot button with pride on my vest

Nater90's picture

Well said mate! I agree.

When you go to a Slipknot gig it's a better feeling than most gigs, I seen a few mates I didn't go with last time I got to see them and it was wicked.

Influx's picture

When mayhem fest was still a thing hereinthe states Skipknot and Slayer headlined together one year. Talk about a great atmosphere! Two groups of devoted fans really partying hard.

However I remember my first New England Hardcore festival wore a Slipknot shirt thought I was the only one found a whole group of folks or they sort of found me and I ran with them most of the day

Never going to forget that great feeling!

Nater90's picture

Oh man that would've been an epic gig, Love Slayer too.

Fuck yeah that's cool, Cheers for sharing!!

BLACKY's picture

1980 -1990. There were a lot of reasons to skip 1980 - 1984 when you were not there, Yet I was!

So I can not! The Metal in that period started the term on a regular basis.

Iron Maiden
Black -DIO- Sabbath
Ozzy Ozbourne
AC/DC
Judas Priest

They all released their best Metal in this period.

1984-1990

Most people did not buy the pock marked Metallica's debut album when it debuted period!

I bought SLAYER's "SHOW NO MERCY" when it was on display!

The real Four Horsemen; METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH & LEGACY!

Yes, Testament belong more than the other. Many reasons why they were fucked over starting early.

ALL THESE ALBUMS DESTROY WHAT CAME BEFORE.

Thanks for reading.

BLACKY.

nameless_rites's picture

It's hard to choose between 1993 and 1994; Pure Holocaust, Vikingllir Veldi, Under a Funeral Moon, Covenant, Breeding the Spawn, Nespithe, Skydancer, With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, Somberlain, Ames De Marbre, Turn Loose the Swans, Thy Mighty Contract, His Majesty at the Swamp, Drawing Down the Moon, Det Som Engang Var etc
vs
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Svartalvheim, De Mysteriis, Terminal Spirit Disease, Non Serviam, For Victory, Tales From 1000 Lakes, Wildhoney, Frost, Pentagram, Transilvanian Hunger, Stream From The Heavens, The Celtic Winter, Nightside Eclipse, Ugra Karma etc

Probably going with 94 for the Burzum/Mayhem/Emperor/Darkthrone releases; you can't really beat those four in the same year

Joel's picture

A bunch of those like Emperor, Enslaved, Darkthrone, Demilich, At the Gates and Rotting Christ are personal favorites of mine.

nameless_rites's picture

Yeah I have to give some props to the late 70s/early 80s years too; can't forget Stained Class, Ride The Lightning, Hell Awaits, Don't Break The Oath, Melissa, Killers, Angel Witch, Show No Mercy, Unleashed in the East, Heaven and Hell, Piece of Mind, Sign of the Hammer, Deliver Us etc... I personally feel that the early years of death/black metal were the pinnacle of the genre in terms of aesthetic and song structures, but it would be asinine to skip on the classics.

Joel's picture

To me, Stained Class is the first recording in the history of this music that could be considered completely Metal from beginning to end, so I would say that 1978 qualifies as an extremely pivotal year in Metal history.

NocturnalOccultist's picture

Thrash Metal - 1983 - 1990
Death Metal - 1986 - 1994
Black Metal - 1984 - 1994
Hairy Metal - 1981 - 1990
Heavy Metal - 1975 - 1990
Those years to me were considered as "old school"
I do like a lot of underground bands throughout the years though as long they are under the radar y'know what i mean

Joel's picture

I know exactly what you mean.

Into Glory Ride's picture

Great Choice putting setting the start for Heavy Metal in 1975, man!

Joel's picture

I think before that it was more like proto Metal than anything else.

Would agree on that. And i love alot of the stuff that is called "Proto Metal".

Joel's picture

Sabbath comes to mind immediately.

NocturnalOccultist's picture

sabbath? pff... i praise priest, deep purple, rainbow, & maiden (di'anno years)

Joel's picture

I love all of them, but Sabbath provided the initial spark.

Ah, so many great stuff! Sabbath of Course
but also MC5 for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhQRFO4M7A
Or Jacula. Celtic Frost Riffs in '69 ? Of course! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg5U1-nQHsE
Blue Cheer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0p9GmALDF8

That's Proto Metal for me.

Joel's picture

Of course Blue Cheer! They were from San Francisco!

Speaking about awesome Proto Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tNjoIwdNc0

Essential!

And one of the most epic non-metal / Proto Metal Songs: Chris de Burgh (yes, really) - Crusader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6SkaFMTihI

Joel's picture

I like that Jerusalem song.

Der Todesking's picture

Jacula's In cauda semper stat venenum album is fucking killer!!

!

Or the motherfucking great Bachmann Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Vm_viD918

(Though this is sadly re-recorded)

Joel's picture

Hammerheart is one of my three favorite Bathory albums and The Somberlain & Pentagram are great albums. For me however, 1987 through 1990 would be the very best Bathory years because Under the Sign of the black Mark and Blood Fire Death were also released in that span of time.

Joel's picture

On Under the Sign of the black Mark, you can already start hearing traces of what was revealed on Hammerheart with those plodding, epic rhythms on songs like Enter the eternal Fire, Call from the Grave and 13 Candles. Even lyrics like "Lend me the eight legged black stallion of Odin and I'll have my vengeance" on Equimanthorn hint at where Quorthon was headed lyrically.

Joel's picture

Yeah, there's never going to be anyone like him in Metal ever again.

Cbower's picture

1987-1990: King Diamond set the bar and wiped the stage with Abigail, Them, Conspiracy, and The Eye. In my view, it was the greatest run in metal history. Not to mention the great Sabbat released History of a Time to Come and Dreamweaver in '88, '89. That seals the deal for me.

Joel's picture

The first five or so years of King Diamond's career is very impressive without a doubt.

Joel's picture

His solo career that is.

kresctilon's picture

Early 2000s for Death Metal. So many great DM albums released in that period.

Joel's picture

Really!? Interesting.

Slayerian1981's picture

the 80's for Thrash metal and the 90's for Death metal

Joel's picture

That's just common knowledge right there.

slaytanic1's picture

The 80's Bay Area Thrash and Heavy Metal scene!!

Joel's picture

EXODUUUUUUS ATTACK!!!

DEATH...METAL!!!

KILL AND KILL AGAIN!!!

NISSE666's picture

1986!
reign in blood, peace sells, the dark, beyond the gates, master of puppets, fatal portrait, somewhere in time, orgasmatron, riders of doom, pleasure to kill, Doomsday for the Deceiver, Torment in Fire, Morbid Visions, Zombie attack, Darkness Descends, Eternal Devastation, Game Over.....
Do i need to say more? : )=

Joel's picture

I don't think you do Nisse!

Nater90's picture

If Nisse says something it's law!!!

Experienced and has some amazing stories, Should be a YouTube series about some of the cool shit you've done over the years :D

Some fantastic albums that's for damn sure.

Joel's picture

1986 was indeed a phenomenal year for Metal.

NISSE666's picture

@nater90 Hahaha! You are too kind sir!

Nater90's picture

Most welcome mate :)

576,108 items in the gallery, 883,261 comments, and 611 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• Awesome, thanks!
  • Not in 2008 - but many many years ago
  • https://rockerfoo.myshopify.com/products/morbid-angel-altars-of-madness-metallic-purple-border
  • I was lucky enough to be practically the first person in line for merch, so glad I snagged this.
  • Would like to get them too
  • Where'd this patch come from? 👀👀
  • Dude I’m so jealous, this thing looks so cool. Unfortunately I missed them when they came by my city the other night.
  • wehere from
  • That The Body patch is amazing!
  • dude I checked all my emails I cant find where I got it. I am sorry.
  • Lmk if you’d ever sell.
  • 😉saludos
  • Gracias por la informacion, si claramente se ve que es reciente, saludos!
  • hola, este parche es una reproducción de el original, conozco el que te lo cambio y te puedo garantizar que el mismo los
  • grime supreme 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
  • Full flames!