TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

What is the most brutal pit you’ve ever partaken in?

NuclearAbuse
Sun, 30/08/2020 - 22:14

Sitting at home in this quarantine, has made me look back and really miss all the friendly violent fun. Witnessing a great live show is something, but fuck, slamming around is another

I’ll start, it was Cancer/Dark Angel’s set at CDF 2018. All of my buddies came though, we were diving, banging our heads, all around great times. People were flying into me from the stage, my lips were bleeding, but we just kept going at it, towards the end of the set. My left knee was pretty much dislocated. Dark Angel’s long awaited set was next. It was buck wild.
The night came to a close, My leg was in excruciating pain. A night of metal I’ll never forget.
Me and my buds walked out that venue feeling, total relief. We had some Denny’s and chowed.

The brotherhood was strong.

Tell me your all time best moshing experiences

Bayernpirat's picture

One of my most impressive pits was at my first Wacken Open Air during the Venom show.
All that sweat and heat from the crowd additional to the very hard ´n loud music - it was brutal
mindblowing

NuclearAbuse's picture

That’s nuts man. I’m from the U.S, before this pandemic, My band was contesting to play WACKEN, we took 1st place in the first round. Then this shit struck lol. Always wanted to attend that festival. Looks absolutely outwordly

ThrashMetal1982's picture

A lot came to mind but after giving much thought to this question, I would have to say Demolition Hammer when they played at the Whisky back in 2018. Show sold out within days after being announced. I heard the Whisky oversold tickets and stopped letting people in despite them having their tickets. First song they started off was Crippling Velocity and everyone went apeshit! As promised, later they did Epidemic of Violence in its entirety. That pit was violent as shit and even reached to the bar! I knew what I was getting myself into that night but I went in like nothing nor didn't care what would happen to me. Woke up the next day with bruises, scratches, and even my legs being hella sore. Truly a night to remember.

NuclearAbuse's picture

That’s tight as fuck man, I remember that flyer being all over the Internet. DH is one I’ve unfortunately haven’t knocked off the list. Hoping for a 2021 run around the U.S., The sprit sounds alive and well in Los Angeles.
It TRULY blows my mind that backyard gigs and some venues are hosting full-blown shows without issue, every single weekend, considering the circumstances currently.

CEROXER's picture

one of many experiences was a dive from the main speakers of the stage to the pit, at the mosh festival in mexico, 1992 (sick of it all, nuclear assault, DEICIDE) I finished with my deicide shirt in tatters and left wrist untied

MorticiA's picture

Damn, I envy all ya'll (cept for the eff'd up body parts.) @LEV: damn man, I envy your slayer experience in 2018, last show I saw of Slayer was 2010, and what you took at the show sounds like a hell of a combination. When I saw Judas Priest and Black Sabbath at Ozzest 2004 my College bro-nie and his bud took some fantasmical things and went to the pit and had a royal blast; and totally gassed out my mom who was driven us back home! 8D

I can't say I've been in any brutal pits, I kind a belong to the Black Metal stereotype-crowd: No mosh, no fun. LOL, I like to just chill and smoke weed in the seats. BUT, I HAVE been in 2 pits, I saw the Groovie Ghoulies in 2005 at The Gilman and it was my first pit experience. I loved it. It was chaotic, fun, cramped, people went down, people got pulled back up. In the end I was sweaty as hell and totally amped.

I was disappointed that I couldn't mosh at the Misfits concert last year, apparently you gotta fork out hella money just to get a nosebleed in the pit... Makes no sense... I've been to many a Metal show where no one gave a shit about seating and you could sit anywhere you wanted.

'Man, I regret not seeing Power Trip with High on Fire in 2019 so bad....

LOL, I don't have an experience relevant to this topic, but fvck all of you I want in it!

Stronthor's picture

Probably Napalm Death at Zwarte Cross 2008. It literally looked like a stereotypical children's cartoon show fight scene, just a giant mass of flailing limbs and the occasional person being thrown in the air before crashing back down into and being swallowed by the chaos. The setting and backdrop were absolutely perfect as well... A late summer evening after sunset, the sky lit up by lightning from a fairly close thunderstorm and moderate rain to help you keep cool. It's probably going to take a lot for any show to top that.

grime81's picture

I have to agree, napalm death brings out the ass kicking in a way i was not prepared for!

Arch_Caligula's picture

I haven't been to many shows, but definitely the pit when I saw Midnight and Nunslaughter in Cleveland at Now That's Class. It was the hometown record release show for Midnight and a sold out one at that. The pit during Nunslaughter's set was pretty violent, especially when they went into their signatures like "Raid the Convent"(I actually got punched in the throat by accident during that set), but Midnight's pit was actual fucking chaos. The entire front of the venue was a wall of headbangers on top of each other moshing and banging. Like the lyrics to the song "Metal Command" by Exodus brought to life. Someone started setting off small fireworks in the pit! One of them went off about a foot from my buddy Jacques' head! At one point some dude was carried out of the show with what looked like a leg injury. Lots of stagediving and crowdsurfing. I got to grab Athenar's hand and headbang with him while being crowdsurfed/pulled onstage during the guitar solo in "Evil Like A Knife" (Similar thing happened during Nunslaughter's set with Don of the Dead twice). Someone was also passing a blunt around during Midnight's set. I don't smoke personally (I also couldn't since I was the driver that night), but Jacques apparently hit it a few times while crowdsurfing. Lastly, during the final song of Midnight's set this girl and I made out at the back of the pit. Pretty kickass show I must say. This was also the last show before COVID lockdowns fucked up shows for a while and it was quite a sendoff.
I actually got to call Don of the Dead via the owner of a local record store who's friends with him to tell him how awesome the show was. It was a great time!

NuclearAbuse's picture

Dude midnight shows sound fucking live!!
I’ve always wanted to attend philly’s Street Metal massacre.

Hárbarðr's picture

Same for me, the complete chaos Midnight unleashed when they played here with Enforcer back in 2013 was just something else! At one point, even an old speaker was thrown into the crowd, and it got passed around while everyone was going completely apeshit haha.

One of the best gigs i've ever seen, will never forget it!

whiterose's picture

I lost most my vision in my right eye due to someone shooting fireworks at me at a party and i sustaining a wound in my socket. If someone is shooting off fireworks at a show into a pit, fuck em, thats not class in my mind.

Arch_Caligula's picture

It was more like sparklers than actual fireworks.

BloodFireDeath's picture

I really haven't been to a lot of shows and it's always been a pain in the ass to even go to a show since I can't drive yet and live like 3 hours away from the bay, but definitely the most intense show I've been to, just violence wise, was Exodus. Obituary and Dust Bolt opened and their pits were pretty good but Exodus was fuckin insane, especially since the club wasn't that big to begin with. 2nd song in, which I think was one off of Blood In, Blood out, I got hit point blank in the head with a fuckin bottle. There were dudes coming out of the pit with their heads busted open and bloodied noses n mouths n shit, and of course everyone went apeshit whenever they played their earlier songs. They closed with Toxic Waltz and Strike of the Beast, which ensued easily the biggest pit I've seen so far and a wall of death. Really wish I wasn't as chubby and unathletic back then so I would've had the energy to keep slamming through the entire set though. Finally got my driver's permit so really hoping I can go to shows way more often by next year.

NuclearAbuse's picture

Dude, I was there! Trippy. You’re near the BA too? Let’s kick it and haha, I’m 17 too, the pressure to get a permit around this age is REAL. Congrats on that man.

ThomasThrash's picture

1 more year and I can get my permit hahaha

Reinhardt's picture

Hammer Open Air 2010 near Turku, Finland. Vomitor were a new name to me but it changed after their gig. All I could remember was that I could not hold a steady ground few seconds longer because of the vortex like energy going in the crowd. It's a possibility, that I was so Hammered that it was the true reason of my constant flooring. Great times.

Speed or Bleed's picture

Violator Show in Belgium (Tankard and Rezet was playing too) The Pit was extreme and some Guys were jumping off the PA Boxes or the second row of the Room, it was crazy. Unfortunaly some stupid ass had a open knife inside the Pit and i saw a few guys with blood on their white shirts... Crazy times but would not miss it!

ThomasThrash's picture

Screw the fucker with the knife, aside from that, sounds amazing!

Chab's picture

Yeah fuck the knife... once saw someone with an ice pick in the pit. Assholes!

Greaserjlg's picture

I saw Carcass, Testament, and Slayer in one night at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, which has standing room space equivalent to the downstairs of a house. Everyone was crammed in tight and after all the Carcass moshing, 2 walls of death for Testament and an encore of "into the pit", I was almost dead by the time Slayer took the stage and started ripping shit up. Slayer pits were great, including another wall of death. I definitely needed a few days to recover after that show, but managed to leave with all my teeth and both eyes.

The only pit that has made me go full primal ape was when Knocked Loose opened for A Day to Remember (which was also my last show before quarantine ruined everything). So much fun, so much sweat and testosterone, but HxC tough guys were out for blood. When Bryan called for the 2 pits to merge together, (in a venue the size of a large living room), I think some poor kids in between might have gotten more fucked up than they bargained for. Thankfully, everyone left the show alive and without any serious injury and Knocked Loose tore the roof off the place.

nuclearthrasher666's picture

1) Slayer's final show in Athens last year. The crowd was raging from the first song to the last but the pit during Chemical warfare, Angel of death and Hell awaits is was just beyond words. Actually during the intro of Hell awaits there was all the huge pyrotechnics on stage at least 3 burning flares INSIDE the pit, it looked like a scene from Dante's inferno.
2) Sacred Reich in 2012. First time that SR played in Greece since the early 90's and all the thrashers where there to celebrate ! It looked like those old videos from the 80's when during a live show EVERYONE was moshing/stage diving/ banging etc. During Surf Nicaragua a burning flare was lit inside the pit. Inside a closed venue, packed with people. Good times !
3) Dead Congregation in 2014. It was their first headline show in Athens ( played along with The Psalm, Cruciamentum and Grave Miasma !) And only their 3th or 4th show in Greece. On top of that it was also the release show of their highly anticipated second album. The band was on top of their game but during the last two songs ( Source of fire, Teeth into red) the crowd went completely insane ! I still had bruises on my hands and back a week later !

Necrowhore Impaler's picture

1. Deathhammer and Antichrist, Live Evil Pre-Show 2013: The whole thing took place in the smaller (like living room size, knee-high stage, no barricades) of the two rooms of The Garage in London and it was w.i.l.d.. During the Deathhammer gig, Salsten was already hammered, a guy, with whom I earlier had a friendly talk in the bathroom whilst standing in a pool of piss (the whole room was FLOODED), came flying across the front rows and kicked me in the face and after the first songs of the Antichrist set I noticed the crowd just pilling up and people hanging down from the steel beams under the ceiling. Midnight played the day after, started the gig with the guitarist smaching his guitar whilst standing on his amps and throwing it into the crowd. Later on Athenar got a little bit confused, as he started to throw pink steel chairs in the pit, taking it for a glorified wrestling match... During our stay my ex-gf and I also got a taste of the pleasantville-esque atmosphere of northern london when we were looking for a bar and stumbled into a full-on knife fight.
2. Deströyer 666, 2015 in Dublin, Fires of Samhain Festival... this whole thing was one of the most geriatric festivals I've been to (too much (death-)doom) up until D666 went on stage and everything just went down into the swirling chaos of flying elbows, bodies and the just-a-little-bit-over-the-top battlevest of the only attending crust punk with nails lashed onto it, which would've put the ones the romans used on jesus to shame.

578,240 items in the gallery, 883,980 comments, and 667 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments