TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirtSlayer.com discussion

What lies on Your nightstand / What are You currently reading?

Into Glory Ride
Wed, 25/01/2017 - 13:43

Not for stupid, lawless nonsense (perhaps in a seperate thread), but rather for threads about books, movies, etc. I for myself for example would be interested what people are reading, so a "What are You reading right now" topic could be interesting.

Opinions?

satan's radish's picture

I'm down. It'll give me another place to fritter away my time instead of doing the things I should be doing to get my life on track!

Into Glory Ride's picture

I like the conclusion that this is an argument f o r it, not against, hahaha

satanachist's picture

totally for it, even though I don't write much on forums, I hated to see when some people started bashing some threads here because the weren't metal related

Der Todesking's picture

Not that much into reading Books anymore tbh. I used to when I was younger tho. But I'm a big movie maniac! I would be interested, yup!

I am also a movie lover for sure, so that would be appreciated too!

Der Todesking's picture

Just not sure if Doc wants Non-metal related stuff on here...

Yeah i am unsure aswell. But that's why it should be - if it should be - in an O f f Topic Thread...

So Doc, You have an opinion on this? The last word is Yours of course. I think most people would appreciate it.

nameless_rites's picture

I'm mostly re reading old favorites lately... just finished Moby Dick, Blood Meridian before that. Next up is Hamlet

Great. Most ideas already have been told in past works and are sold as new today. Still haven't read either of both of these.

nameless_rites's picture

When Moby Dick is on, it's unbeatable... you just have to wade through dozens of chapters on whaling terminology and history etc to get there. Blood Meridian is more consistently awesome, especially if you like brutal violence narrated like a highly detailed account of some Hebrew slaughter from the Old Testament

Jaybe666's picture

Blood Meridian is already on my wishlist! recently finished Butcher's Crossing by John Williams, also a great western

Noir.666's picture

Yeah, Moby dick rules... I just read it again, too. :-)

TheSabbathsCreed's picture

I always thought a tattoo section would be relevant on here

Having none myself i could not contribute but i always found these interesting on other boards, si i am all for it.

Hárbarðr's picture

I'm currently reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, after a year long hiatus due to university stuff. Really fucking good!
And i still haven't finished Practical Reason and Norms, by Joseph Raz, though i already passed the most important chapters.

Mylla's picture

At my bedside table there are three books – I can never just read one book at the time :-): «Thrown» by Kerry Howley – a philosophy student that gets totally into MMA and writes about it. The bible «Swedish Death Metal» by D. Ekeroth and finally Die Wand/the wall by Marlen Haushofer (from 1968) a novel about a woman who wakes up one morning to find out that there is a see through wall outside her house and that every human and animal outside that wall is dead... I just finished Chris Kraus I love Dick (I hesitated to image google that one :-). Pretentious, overrated and boring book but a weird story)

LifeOfDeath's picture

Currently reading Thursakyngi II: Loki, written by Shamaatae from Arckanum. Also "The Book of Werewolves" by Sabina Baring-Gould. I have a bad habit of starting to read multiple books at same time instead of focusing on one book at a time, so it usually takes me quite some time to finish reading one.

Interesting choices, i always was curious about his writings...
Haha, i actually know that problem. Also because i still got so much stuff lying around that every choice for a book seems to be a choice against the other hundreds, haha
Currently i am reading 4 books parallel.

Mylla's picture

Sounds interesting with Thursakyngi. Haven't socialized with my Norse pagan/heathen friends for ages. So I have really no clue abouth the development of different paths at the moment :) Worth reading?

LifeOfDeath's picture

If I had to guess, your friends don't know much of the subject. There is only couple of authors who've written about Thursatru. It is not a book about Odinism, but pretty much the opposite. But definitely an interesting read, if you're interested about the darker side of Norse tradition. That is if you manage to get a hold of that book.

Mylla's picture

Ah, you never know :-) People seem to dab in all sort of things. Thanks for the answer!

judascrust's picture

Currently re-reading the Lord of the rings again - started the return of the king earlier this week :)

Great ! i am planninh that too since i am very positive to get the new jubileum edition with illustrations for my birthday this weekend.
planned it for long already...

Funny how this thread naturally evolved into a currently reading thread!

I just started David Allen's "Getting things done" as my evening lecture today and have very high expectations on that one!

Jaybe666's picture

I put that book into my shopping cart, maybe I can finally kick my procrastination habit haha. Thanks for the tip

Anytime! makes a very good first inpression on me. Most of all he writes very motivating and....uhm mitreißend. ;) He also promises alot but actually the basic and very simple idea makes a lot of sense: storing everything tat is input of any kibd in a safe, well ordered and secure system outside Your head so You got more cognitive capacities for important things. think of situations like "Oh i still have to call the doctor because of my appointment" or "That movie sounds great to watch, i should keep that title in mind".
I am really excited to read on.

Goathammer's picture

I've got three on the go right now, The Black Arts (1967) by Richard Cavendish, it's a sociology/occult sort of thing, it's got different parts dedicated to different schools of thought. Got into a discussion that prompted me to to re-read "On the Genealogy of Morality" by Fredrich Nietzsche. And finally getting around to the second book in the series, the book is called The Ruby Knight and it's written by David Eddings, it's a high fantasy romp with the typical hero fighting to save the kingdom/girl. But it's still pretty damn good.

Nater90's picture

I finished the audiobook of Fatherland few weeks ago, Alternate history if Nazi Germany won the World War II, It's a detective / crime based, Was interesting & quirky in parts and the ending shocks the fuck out of you, Werner Klemperer that played Colonel Klink on Hogan Heroes reads it, Which was pretty cool! Because I love Hogan's Heroes.

Neberitos's picture

I have read the book a while ago, a really good book

Nater90's picture

Nice to see someone else enjoy it also.

They made a movie for it also, I haven't watched it yet though, Been told it's not so good...But I will watch to form my own opinion.

Neberitos's picture

Currently reading lord of the rings again. Iam also reading Uzumaki

Planning that aswell since i got the anniversary edition that just came out for my birthday.
Definitely a welcome opportunity.

Claudandus's picture

Uzumaki is always a great read. I recently finished Tomie by the same author.

Cimmerian_Howl's picture

Anything by Tolkien or Moorcock is always in my reading rotation. As of now I'm reading the AD&D books to run a campaign.

Nice. not too long ago i finished the original Elric Saga (without the other books of the Eternal Champion)

Cimmerian_Howl's picture

Such a great series! I just started the Bran Mak Morn from Robert E Howard.

Just started a Terry Pratchet Novel yesterday to have a bit of distraction from academic literature. I chose "Equal Rites".

Also i changed the topic name now, since this turned into a Reading-Thread by itself already anyway.

bad_american1992's picture

+1 for anything Discworld!

bad_american1992's picture

Reading "Roadside Picnic" by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. One of the best stories I've found in a while, was not expecting this from Soviet-era science fiction.
Also just got a copy of the "War Stories" comics by Garth Ennis... it's a series of graphic novels about various WWII battles and events.

Claudandus's picture

Books:
- "The Complete Omaha the Cat Dancer. vol 1" by Reed Waller & Kate Worley
Just can't stress enough how good this series is. Some of the most well written dialogue and plot I've ever had the pleasure of reading. A bit "Harlequin" perhaps. But you just can help but to get engaged in the lives of these characters. Plus it has a healthy dose of sex, corruption and violence, what more could you want?

- "The Sick Rose" by Richard Barnett
A illustrated essay about medical science before the invention of the camera. More pictures than text to be honest. I honestly thought it sounded more interesting than it was when I got it. But it's still an interesting read.

- "The Prydain Chronicles" by Lloyd Alexander
I'm not big on fantasy. But this series really hit the mark for me. Might have something to do with me reading them a lot in grade school. But I just can't help but getting back to these books every now and then.

- "Det Okända" by Clas Svahn
A selection of interviews with people in Sweden that have experienced paranormal activities like hauntings, UFO-sightings and such. It's a subject that fascinates me to no end.

Also my DS/3DS has a permanent place on my nightstand. Right now I'm playing Super Smash bros and Breath of Fire.

Interesting reads!
If You are fascinated by the UFO phenomenon, try to find something from Illobrand von Ludwiger, perhaps there are translations of his speeches on Youtube. He is a German Astrophysicist and founder and head of the Mufon Ces Organisation that observes the phenomenon from a scientific perspective. Highly intriguing!

Claudandus's picture

Not so much UFO phenomenons as Paranormal and Cryptozoology. But It's interesting none the less. Might check that out then, thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.
Here is a Video, which can be translated automatically in English, of course very bad. But i watched it a while and one can understand it. Is very scary though. This man researches in that topic for 40 years now and is quite sure about what is going on. It is rather frightening...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLn-AkKDAio
Another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNL_nCN-R8

For paranormal phenomenons i can recommend Dr. Dr. Walter von Lucadou:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BxdDkK2NDQ

Nevs's picture

I am in finals right now, so I am reading/studying from 'Pavement Design and Materials' and 'Canadian Cities in Transition: Perspective for an Urban Age'. I am also reading the PMI's 'Project Management Body of Knowledge', Zakk Wylde's 'Bringing Metal to the Children', and the Bible.

Metaldemon's picture

Fighting Words. A U.S. civil War book that has correspondence and advertisements from back in the 1840s to 1860s and the account of the slavery trade.

Corvus Corax's picture

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. I've also got a bunch of Tibetan reference books and related notes. A bottle of water.

Glad that this is so frequently used!

I just finished Pratchett and now wanted to continue with something a bit more serious and sophisticated again : Started with Ernst Jünger - Das abenteuerliche Herz

Nater90's picture

Just started reading Rockdetector A-Z on Black Metal up until 2001.

I guess you'd class it as an encyclopedia, Has list of bands, their albums, some pictures here and there, and some bands have bit more info added. Enjoying it so far.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/30592573?q&versionId=41340549

Noir.666's picture

On my nightstand:
- Amazon Fire Tablet for TTS, haha.
- Swedish Death Metall
- "Soul on fire" biography from Pete Steele
and my radio for waking me up every fucking morning.

Chainbreaker's picture

The Sailor On The Seas Of Fate
Thanks for recommending!

576,663 items in the gallery, 883,477 comments, and 637 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments