TShirtSlayer

What the F*** is Blackgaze?

punkmetalhead
Fri, 03/03/2017 - 05:31

I never heard of that kind of music, I feel like someone made up a new name and called it a style of metal. What are the characteristics and what bands are Blackgaze?

parregeaboppe

I think it comes closest to post-black metal, but I agree that its probably some made up name.

Blüdrayne

It's black metal mixed with shoegaze.

Stathis

and what is shoegaze?

grime81

it is when you use alot of pedal and effects so you are constantly looking down to stomp and switch and always gazing down at the shoe

Into Glory Ride

Basically the name comes from the image of someone gazing shy at his own shoes, because of the rather introverted and reserved character of the music . (No sarcasm, as far as i know that is the explanation)

Blüdrayne

> because of the rather introverted and reserved character of the music

No, it's because they're looking at their effects pedals.

Into Glory Ride

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

The term "shoegazing" was coined by the British music press to ridicule the stage presence of a wave of groups who stood still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, often with their heads down;[6][8] the heavy use of effects pedals meant the performers were often looking down at their feet during concerts."

seems like a combination of both, i just rememberedthe other part.

grime81

I heard people say both

punkmetalhead

Yeah I didnt like that. I feel like the music just combines effects with keyboards/sythesizers but the result being a big messy mash up.

NocturnalOccultist

Deafhaven - Sunbather

Blackgaze = post-black metal or indie music with the mix of black metal coming from the good ol Norway lol

Blüdrayne

> with the mix of black metal coming from the good ol Norway lol

Nah, if anything the BM element they're appropriating is WITTR style atmoblack.

punkmetalhead

And people saying that its "Post-Black Metal" is almost like an insult/Curse Word. Black Metal didn't really burn out, in my opinion so why use Post-Black Metal

Into Glory Ride

Bcause it would be an insult for real Black Metal to give shit like Deaf Heaven said name.
also: "Post" does not necessarily mean, the "era" before that is over. Rather it means to overcome a certain system/era/configuration, but with the instruments of that previous system. Be it postmodern literature or Postrock.

punkmetalhead

Yeah to me I still don't get Post-Rock or Post-Metal or Post anything. I just don't really know. I know Post-Punk and heard what Joy Division sounded like but they don't sound like a Punk band at all but more softer punk band

Into Glory Ride

I can understand that, though especially in the case of Postrock it really makes sense since it uses the same instruments and basic structures but really puts into a new configuration with very long songstructures and the - as much as i hate that word aswell as the idea - deconstruction of known song patterns like verse-bridge-chorus-verse etc.

For Postpunk i did never really understand it either, though i love the Genre.

punkmetalhead

I know of it because I listen to a few goth rock bands in which that music came from Post-Punk

Blüdrayne

> "Post" does not necessarily mean, the "era" before that is over. Rather it means to overcome a certain system/era/configuration, but with the instruments of that previous system. Be it postmodern literature or Postrock.

Maybe, but in the case of Post-Black metal it specifically refers to Post-rock/post-metal influence.

Into Glory Ride

Sure, no doubt about that. But at the same times Post-Rock falls exactly into said scheme and so Post Black Metal refers to that. You often hear Band members from Bands like Deafheaven talking about they love that music etc but deny that "archaic, redundant and obsolete values like masculinity, honor" etc bla bla.

SmirG3l

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackgaze

took me less time to google this than write here and wait for people to answer.

Into Glory Ride

And obviously less time than quickl read the comments to realize that link has been posted already...

punkmetalhead

I listened to a song by alcest since I heard they created the style, it sounds like they fused Black Metal with Muse but left out the black metal lyrical themes. Plus a song from Deafheaven called "Dream House" since I heard they're album "Sunbather" was highly acclaimed. Deafheaven actually is not that bad, I would prefer this style over Metalcore/Deathcore. They all sound like its black metal mixed with alternative rock.

Carovoivod

Fuck, black metal with alternative rock? The come on guys what is going on here, where is this going? This is a shame.....

satan's radish

Have some of you people seriously never heard of google? Jesus Christ. Take some initiative for once (as if the non-effort of googling a term and skimming the results for 30 seconds to get an answer even warrants such a phrase). Most "blackgaze" is boring shit, BTW. It's best to forget about it, and I say this as a fan of Shoegaze.

joecubbie

I guess this term would be used to describe Alcest, Deafheaven, and Oathbreaker.

Ravishing Grimness

Its when they look at their shoe all the time,or the pedals they use.

Goathammer

All you need to know is it's roughly 50% Black metal 50% Shoegaze and 100% garbage.

Into Glory Ride

Hahahaha!

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous guesses

Recent Comments

Poll

Do you create your battlejacket all in one time, or over years?
There are 199,177 entries in the gallery and 661,838 comments, and 144 items have changed hands in the last month!!

TShirtSlayer is the worlds largest community of people interested in heavy metal tshirts and battlejackets, upload some of your tshirts or jackets!