TShirtSlayer

What do you all think of Encyclopedia Metallum (Metal-archives.com)?

Joel
Wed, 14/05/2014 - 23:31

I’ve been using this resource in order to find new bands, labels, etc. for years. I’m just wondering what your general impression of this site is.

Enjoy this thread as a YouTube playlist! Aaaah!

R.J.

There's really no avoiding using this resource if you're fan of any metal genre. The review system is shit though and the site is only moderately useful for discovering new bands.

Joel

That site is pretty much a household name. I've discovered countless bands not just by using that site, but by also using the likes of YouTube, rateyourmusic.com, http://strappadometalblog.blogspot.com/#axzz31k8Er2la, http://bm-80smetal.blogspot.com/, and some others I can't remember at the moment. What don't you like about the review system?

Morbideath

too bad, blogspot is blocked in China......

Joel

Which one?

Morbideath

the whole blogspot.com i meant, and so are FB, utube, twitter, google and so on

Joel

Damn, that sucks. The days of Chairman Mao are thankfully long gone, but China's government still has quite a way to go. Shit, at least you're Chinese and not North Korean...

Morbideath

haha, but life without FB and google is still quite good here...

Joel

Well, that's good.

gizter

honestly, how did you find out about TSS without google? how do you even do anything without google...

Morbideath

we have all the domestic "replica" version of those websites, like Baidu for Google, Weibo for Twitter, Renren for FB, etc. but if u have to browse those blocked sites, u can use some paid-for VPN service, will cost extra and very trouble to use though.
i found TSS with google two years ago. my company has Hong Kong DNS server so im "over the wall" at work.

Blüdrayne

Use the torr network.

VoiceOfTheSoul

It's the metal encyclopedia - useful as fuck

Joel

True.

Necro Rican

Each time that I see a cd from some band that I don't know, I use the archives to check out the band's genre and the country where there from.

Joel

I've found myself doing that.

LaUlvenDrepe

I've never had any problems with it, and find it very useful. I've also dealt with people in the forum. I remember buying my first vinyl (Ulver's Nattens Madrigal) from someone there, also an unplayed dead-stock copy of Sempiternal Deathreign's "The Spooky Goom", and I will never forget that I bought my favorite shirt there (my white Arcturus FALL/RISE LS). That shirt was a pain in the ass to get, since the seller did not trust PayPal. I don't remember if I used a bank transfer or Western Union... mmhm, it was international though :/

I've bought other stuff from other members, but I can't remember. But yeah, needless to say... good metal memories :D

Joel

I've never had any problems with PayPal whatsoever. Maybe he had one bad experience with PayPal and that made him wary of that company.

judascrust

In general I like it, I always refer to it when record browsing or doing online searches for music. I like it more for the general info it provides than the reviews themselves; some are intelligently written but most of them I find are rather poorly written, ill informed or biased, and done by people who don't really know what they're talking about. Another minor problem is that its oversaturated with bands that don't exist anymore and/or bands that have no releases but overall i find it pretty helpful.

Joel

I've discovered long-gone Metal bands that I love so I don't see anything wrong with them being in the archives. I do agree with you regarding the reviews; I see a lot of twits on there, but there are some credible reviewers on that site. I like reading Autothrall's reviews.

judascrust

I think thats one of the reviewers i tend to like; his are always intelligently written, he knows how to explain why he likes or doesn't like something, even if I don't necessarily agree with it

Joel

That's how I feel.

Plague

Luv that site. Its second only to TSS!

gynecrologist

Good resource for this and that like finding out what other bands people are in...Its gay that Last Days Of Humanity is a blacklisted band for being to grind and not metal...as there are bands that are less metal listed on there.

judascrust

glad you mentioned this dude, this is actually my biggest problem with that site is that the people who run it only accept submissions of bands that they deem to be "metal". what does and what does not constitute as a "metal" band is entirely debatable, the genre draws from a weath of different musical styles plus there are many bands - like punk, grindcore or experimental/electronic/noise bands - that may be of interest to metal fans but some are allowed and others are rejected for not being "metal" enough, or not having enough "metal" in their sound....its a real bummer that some bands are not allowed a place in the archives just because of a few biased opinions.

DoctorDeath

yeah! exactly!

Season of Mist USA

Multi post by mistake, please delete!

Season of Mist USA

Season of Mist USA

Season of Mist USA

Season of Mist USA

Season of Mist USA

DeathFuckinMetal

I love it, am always discovering new bands on it that are awesome! And I totally agree with Plague,s comment as we'll.

Joel

Good for you! Just keep searching...

Nater90

I use it quite a bit it's a great site, I used to use Wikipedia a lot till I found it, As for the reviews with any review it will always be an each to their own because we all have different tastes.

Joel

Yeah, I know what you mean. People are gonna be people.

J.j. Ratte

It is very usefull but adding new bands is too difficult. To many bands ive added were rejected, because I didn't have any picture of a release from the band. There were lots of youtube films and even websiteds I added as proove, but my requests were always rejected because I didn't have a picture of a real excisted release.... Man, after 8 rejected requests I quit using metal archives. But since a while im only using it to find about bands I see on youtube or in metalmagazines.

Joel

Wow, that's news to me. I didn't know that trying to add a band to the database was such a pain in the ass.

DoctorDeath

yeah depends if he thinks it's "metal or not"

Joel

It's bullshit too, because I've seen a LOT of material on that site that's far from being so-called "pure" Metal. Crossover, Hard Rock with Heavy Metal influences, the list goes on and on. It's all open to interpretation.

J.j. Ratte

Yeah, but not only the interpretation of "real" metal, because on youtube its easy to check its metal or not, but when you don't have a picture of an official release (picture from a cd, tape or LP), they will also reject your request. So it's a lot of work to create a bandpage on the web, and they will always reject it on that point.

Joel

Wow, that's...quite a hassle.

nemain

And yet its users are able to link individual musicians to bands they've never played with (or even listened to!) quite easily and without confirmation. It's pretty backwards that they can do that and yet adding verifiable bands is so damn difficult.

Joel

Yeah, that’s as backwards as it gets. It ought to be the other way around.

meaningless

the founder of metal-archive stole our (we were 3 guys..started in 1999/2000) idea (and on the start...it was also very similiar to our optic/system - even some of the pics of covers are from our homepage!! lol ..how i know it? ..a few pics i had to re-edit, when i got it from bands directly.because the scan wasnt the best sometimes...)...but since our page died..many years ago (based on many several personal reason..) - i dont mind anymore. Beside this fact - the page is ok, if u are looking for a release-date..or something.
but thats it..i never found anything 'new' or a 'new band' via this page..
and like other ppl said above..its hard to avoid this page this days - if ur into metal.

DoctorDeath

oh damn! yaeh, i just wish he wouldnt ignore/ban bands for no or silly reasons, so many bands "arent metal" according to him

DoctorDeath

Page is OK, but the programming and layout is terrible, my friend in gothenburg wrote the Android application to try to read its data, and yeah.. lets just say he could write the website a whole lot better (but I guess he's something like me, needs to support fulltime job as well as the website hobby)

also metal-archives seems to block bands for no real reason, so many bands on here that arent on there, when i search for them I just find a forum thread where the editors say "no"

Pier

I use this site quite often. It can be pretty helpfull. Here is a site I found some years ago on which you can see if bands are touring: http://www.tourmapr.com/ You can also search for similar artists on this site, and that function is way more accurate here then it is on Metal Archives.

Joel

That's cool. Thanks for sharing!

Pier

You're welcome! :)

ThrasherAngelripper

Highly recommended, complete data base, just ignore the reviews!

Joel

It's an all encompassing site, but yeah, most of the reviews are lacking.

Heavy Mental Maniac

Metal-archives is a good database, but the reviews are mostly stupid crap and especially the forums...

Joel

Yeah, I agree.

nwobhmbanger

If you're going to complain about the bands that end up on there, you have to really consider the overwhelming, whiny crap that moderators on the forums have to put up with on a DAILY basis. A bunch of shitcore/ambient/nu metal/etc. bands get rejected, and then a pack of imbeciles go to complain about it.

I may not necessarily agree with some bands being included or excluded, but they do a hell of a better job with relevancy than all other "metal" sites I've been to. AC/DC, Van Halen, Slipknot, Asking Alexandria, and the like are NOT metal (and likely never will be). I'm so sick and tired of other "metal" sites otherwise classifying them as such, because it's such bullshit.

Joel

Well yeah, that's true. I saw a Slipknot patch posted on TSS a couple of days ago and I immediately thought "I'm sorry, but there's not even any ambiguity there". Nu Metal is not a legitimate form of Metal because it's not a natural creation. It's a corporate concoction. Van Halen and AC/DC on the other hand are cool, but they're Hard Rock, not even "traditional" Heavy Metal.

nwobhmbanger

I also like some stuff that isn't metal. It just doesn't mean that they ARE metal.

Joel

Exactly.

PForx

I like Encyclopedia Metallum. It has helped me find info about a lot of bands that aren't on Facebook or anything else.

Joel

You can find countless amounts of stuff on there that's beyond obscure.

PForx

You can't find my band there. Which is especially funny because it's called "Enter Obscurity" (shameless self-promotion).

Joel

Haha...Enter Obscurity huh? Yeah, they don't carry EVERY homegrown Metal band on that site.

PForx

Soon we'll be big enough to be featured on Metal Archives... Sooon...
The only downside is that we'll have to change our name!

Joel

Good point.

kertalaaki

Good database. Reviews are mostly shit (I mean how bad the record is when you give it 1% ?), but you after awhile you can recognize the some users with good ones and those who actually have valid points / good reviews. There are some, but not too much.. Nowadays I use more and more RYM, because it ain't limited only to metal genres.

Joel

I've been able to pick credible reviewers out of that whole fecal mass. Rate your music is really good by the way. I've used that site plenty of times when I find myself hunting for what I consider good Metal.

Judas Priestess

I like it, I only use it when a band doesn't have a wiki page or barely any info on discogs. It's a really source for obscure bands.

Joel

I've discovered a lot of nearly completely unknown bands on that site that I think are great.

FredManimal

very useful site. if a band I want to find out more about is not in the metal-archives (because it's too much punk or so), I'm really devastated and don't know what to do, haha (of course this only goes for very obscure acts with just one demo or ep)

Troy B clear

Yeah, useful as hell!!! I find myself on there pretty much daily, lol.

Joel

I use it almost as frequently.

DethronedEmperor23

love the site, go on it at least once a day, but I wish the biographies and trivia were longer, I love learning cool shit about bands. As for reviews, I don't give a fuck about them because if I want the album I buy it regardless of what sites say.

Joel

"I don't give a fuck". That's the Metal way kid.

slayerslayer

as a resource for looking up bands , i find it invaluable. it is the best thing out there for looking up metal bands that have released music.

Joel

I agree.

SWR787

I use the site constantly but they are very inconsistent. A lot of reviews have numerous spelling and grammatical errors, yet I have had a review rejected because of a few typos. They also allow some deathcore and grindcore bands while rejecting others. Great resource, but their inconsistencies can be annoying. That's my opinion anyway.

Joel

I've noticed the same thing. Grindcore owes at least half of it's existence to music like Hardcore Punk by the way. That sub-genre is nobody's idea of a "pure" form of Metal.

HeavyTony

Feel free to report these shitty reviews in this thread http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4153

There's a lot of old reviews that aren't up to date with the current standards (2002-2004 mostly) but it's a pain in the ass to clean up. As for the inconsistencies, there's a certain line to trace between metal and non metal, grindcore like Anal Cunt doesn't make the cut while Nasum do, it's a matter of interpretation and I can confirm that this line is coherent amongst the team.

Joel

Thanks for sharing. Distinguishing Metal from non-Metal can get kinda tricky from time to time in certain cases, but then again, they've got Discharge's Hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing in their database!

DoctorDeath

actually i like their policy of only showing bands that have atleast 1 official release

Joel

Well yeah, of course that makes sense. Occasionally (very rarely, but it does happen) I come across a band that's got no discography whatsoever, so it's nice to see a band with at least an extremely limited resume instead of none at all.

DevilzForce

nice database to look stuff up, i aoid the community there like plague though.... it's been a while sice i've seen such a collection of morons, but they seem to do their work as well :P

Joel

Yeah, there are some real boneheads on that site. YouTube may be the worst though.

An Overdose Of Mkultra

I think that site is doing god's work, honestly. So useful for discovering new music. I also use it to see if a band name is already taken or not.

Joel

As a database, it's second to none.

mealkeith

Brilliant site the reviews can be quite entertaining to read

Joel

Yeah, a lot of the reviews can be entertaining to read for their stupidity.

mealkeith

I tend to copy and paste the review to speakonia can be quite hilarious especially when someone does a negative review

RogJarl

I use the EM very often when I need to check a precise point, like a date or country of origin of a band, but that's quite a lazy way to proceed. I mean, usually reading interviews is much more entertaining than using EM.
As a funny note, I wanted to make something quite similar to EM between 93/95 but never really succeeded, as I really suck with computers... and the website has now been dead for 20 years. Here is the copy image on archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100205110232/http://membres.multimania.fr/...
(You still can click on some of the bands, but my presentation lines are in french only)

Joel

Wow! Thanks for sharing that old site! Nice reminder of what the internet used to be like.

DoctorDeath

ahead of your time!!!!

SpecializedinTerror

Good sources.

Faber

Really love the reviews. Most are from total groupies and the others are from haters, but gives a nive idea of the music. My only prime Metal resoure together with Lordsofmetal.nl for the monthly releases and the reviews from Ralf and Hawk on http://www.metal-observer.com/home.php?lid=1 (use this version, the new 3.0 version sucks monkey balls).

nightslasher26

Does anyone know why I cant see song titles on EM?When i check out some band and when I click on album there is no song list,its fucking annoying,

Faber

No problems with that. Maybe chance or update your internetbrowser?

nightslasher26

Yep,browser was the problem :)

StereoDeth

It's pretty handy if you wanna look up certain bands n stuff,
but I ignore the album reviews written by users.
They can be helpful, but misleading as well like game reviews by IGN.

Joel

I know exactly how you feel.

satan's radish

Relevant to the subject of blacklisted bands, I think someone needs to do a punk archives equivalent that covers everything from proto-punk to grindcore to post-punk and all the stuff in between. I've been saying that for a long time, but I'm too lazy and apathetic to bother learning how to build/maintain websites.

As for MA, the reviews are 90% worthless IMHO, and I almost never look at them. The site is a great resource otherwise, though.

Joel

I typically don't pay attention to the reviews either.

Snaggletooth

I get bands asking me to post my reviews on their pages there but they always say no for some stupid reason,so I gave up too many rules,I only use it for band info and there is plenty of mistakes as well but I don't bother fixing them.

nuclearthrasher666

Extremely useful site. The fact that you can have a complete list of full-lengths,eps,demos etc. for (almost) every metal band you want is just amazing. Additional information that this site provides, like the list of people that worked for each album ( sound enginieers, produces, cover artists), every side project that each musician has, small trivia and additional infos, the complite catalog for every label that is listed etc is priceless.
But the fact that they don't include crust punk, hardcore and grindcore bands because "they are not metal" is fucking stupid. Yeah, sure bands like Doom, Antisect, Tragedy,Wolfbrigade and Disrupt have nothing to do with metal at all....
And of course the reviews and ratings are not very reliable .

Blüdrayne

> But the fact that they don't include crust punk, hardcore and grindcore bands because "they are not metal" is fucking stupid

Where does it end then? It can't be a comprehensive database of all music. They have to draw the line somewhere. As the name indicates, it's METAL archives.

Chemical Burn

Useful but it's incredibly scummy that they refuse to remove band members real names.

Piss

This.

Its very useful as a resource, but the moderators are dickheads. Undoubtedly more time spent rejecting submissions and making lame April Fool's Day jokes than actually contributing anything of worth to the genre.

Joel

True.

DoctorDeath

yeah, i dont get where they draw the line on bands they dont list, doesnt make sense

Joel

I don't understand the logic used by some people.

DoctorDeath

i think what's cool is that theres a LOT of bands on tshirtslayer that are not on metalarchives tho :)

Joel

That's true. I started noticing that shortly after I joined back in 2013.

Blüdrayne

That's a bit disingenuous to say when there are bands such as REO Speedwagon and Cheap Trick on here, that are undeniably not metal. This site serves a completely different function to Metal Archives, one that extends outside of metal.

DoctorDeath

yeah you got a point, i should have clarified - there are metal bands on tss that are not on MA :) yes, i think having a bit of a broader scope of what is acceptable (metal/not-metal) really serves no harm at all..

think about it, what exactly has MA lost due to not accepting a metal band because they are not 'metal enough' ? just a few pages of content in exchange for people have some pretty suspect ideas about how they are managing that question..

Season of Mist USA

Season of Mist USA

Agreed on this. I got banned from there for calling them out on this in the forum. My death grind band that had blasts in every song and covered ourselves in animal blood and sang about Satan was considered "not metal enough" but bands that are basically heavy punk or hair metal are listed on there. It doesn't make any sense. I still go on there frequently though to find out which members of certain bands were on different albums and such. Real useful for those things.

Blüdrayne

> covered ourselves in animal blood and sang about Satan

How is this part even relevant? The Devil's Blood do this too, but that doesn't make them metal.

DoctorDeath

he did say it was a death grind band... pretty sure' that is VERY metal, did you read that?

Blüdrayne

Lemmy said Motorhead is a rock and roll band, but that doesn't stop them from being a metal band.

EDIT: Besides, you're missing the entire point of my comment.

DoctorDeath

i'm quite tired of you spamming peoples posts, are you looking to be banned or what? "my death grind band that had blasts in every song" which part of that dont you understand?

Blüdrayne

I really don't see how I'm spamming. I'm commenting in a public discussion. If anything, I comment very little at all nowadays.

My point is that what he says is one side of an argument. There's as much bands that can be described as such which are really stenchcore. It doesn't help eitehr that he seems to be embellishing his point by using a visual description of the band, which has no consequence on their musical categorisation.

I'm not going to continue in this discussion then, if you're going to threaten to ban me for participating in a civil manner. Good day.

DoctorDeath

you're drunk!

Blüdrayne

No, I'm very sober.

DoctorDeath

I demand a tshirtslayer alcohol blood test!

DoctorDeath

actually i do see what you say, yeah - the blood bit doesnt mean metal, but his band is still metal, i'm waiting for justin beiber to start throwing blood into the crowd! i could see that happening in some distant 30-40 years when more cross-over happens.. lots of bands are stealing metal imagery in their styles...

DoctorDeath

for the THIRD time "my death grind band that had blasts in every song" which part of that dont you understand? it's like you're purposefully NOT reading the post!!

Blüdrayne

You're not reading my point either. My point is that that's what he SAYS it is, which may not be the case. Furthermore we are hearing one side of a two sided story, which obviously is going to be incomplete. If anything it sounds embellished, as I've previously said.

Season of Mist USA

It was a Repulsion rip-off band. We sounded like Repulsion. Repulsion is on Metal Archives. And I think subject matter is important with grindcore. If we were political I could see saying it's too punk (although Napalm Death and Assuck are on MA too...) but it was all about death and gore.

DoctorDeath

furthermore, motorhead are on metalarchives, and according to your logic, they arent metal, so.. what gives? sounds like you're only here for a useless argument

parregeaboppe

Use it probably every week, mostly to find out wich labels band are with or the lyrics.

Ravishing Grimness

Use it almost everyday.No complaints there figuring out latest news and updates.I think it is at least important for review writers and interviewers to get access to certain information as well.

Trah666

Good for getting info on dates of releases, and finding links to bands official website, but the reviews are bull shit. Reminds me of rotten tomatoes

kresctilon

Someone on Metallum rated the Panzer Division Marduk album 0%. That's Marduk's best album, in my opinion and i have no idea why they would do such a thing...Its a really useful website and a great way to discover new bands. Its just some of the reviews on there that get on my nerves.

Joel

People can express whatever opinions they want to express. You're not going to please everyone.

our birthday We made it !!! 10th Birthday is here!!
CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE BIRTHDAY VIDEO!

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous guesses

Recent Comments

• Decent start with some great bands. Where did you find that blue-fade GloryHammer patch?
  • Great old school cool, very authentic.
  • Thanks brother! The Emperor patch is sexy as shit, definitely one of the best looking patches in my collection.
  • Good point. Such a shame...
  • Nice.
  • Thanks mate! Yeah I really like this one.
  • Wow! Awesome jacket!
  • Batushka (10x2.5) Peste Noire (8.5x13) I wrote more information in a private message.
  • NeChrist is so overrated. Easily worst album from NM.
  • Really cool!!
  • Nice one, good album!
  • Great!! You should try to dye it black!?
  • Thanks Nater! I agree, each of their albums give you something different. Which one is your favorite?
  • Hell fuck yeah!! Enjoy it!!
  • amazing!
  • That's a REALLY expensive jacket there. I dig that red Hawkwind Patch!!!

Poll

Do you listen to bands that are older than you?
There are 191,716 entries in the gallery and 648,513 comments, and 123 items have changed hands in the last month!!

TShirtSlayer is the worlds largest community of people interested in heavy metal tshirts and battlejackets, upload some of your tshirts or jackets!