TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

What are some good melodeath bands ?

OmeletteDuFromage
Sat, 06/05/2017 - 11:29

Hi !
I really need to know more Melodeath bands, as it's one of my favorite subgenres of metal because of the few excellent Melodeath bands I know ;
I love Opeth type of vocals (one of my fav death vocalist), I also really dig In Mourning's vocals.
Max Cavalera is also one of my favorite metal vocalist.

If anyone knows good Melodic Death bands, if possible with vocals that sound a bit like Opeth, Sepultura or In Mourning vocals (or even Eluveitie -male vocalist-, Funeral Tears, Death, Gojira, Dir En Grey...), that would be perfect !
Thanks a lot !

flashblack313's picture

well, try Swallow the Sun - Falling world or Novembers Doom - A eulogy of the living lost, Amon Amarth - Destroyer of the universe
but this is more doom than melodic, should be fine for the vocal style and lines for your taste

OmeletteDuFromage's picture

Thanks ! Already knew Swallow The Sun (only two songs), I kinda like what they do
Just listened to Falling world, I like it ! The clean vocals are nice, and the growl is pretty good, I really like it
Nice band ! I'll listen to more of their stuff later !

About Amon Amarth, I really don't like the vocals. It's clearly one of the few viking metal bands I don't like because of this ; and I don't find something interesting enough about the guitar, nor the bass, drums or song structure to keep me listening to them.

The Novembers Doom song is alright, I dig the clean vocals but the growl isn't the best I've heard. However, I find the instrumental way more interesting than the Amon Amarth one, so that makes me like the song way more. I may listen to a few more songs from this band later

flashblack313's picture

Hey man, just saw your answer, a little bit late, but i thought that you would like to hear a Katatonia early works, cuz it used to be Åkerfeldt on vocals, you may like the material as well, but prepare your ass, because it is probably most depressive tones i know
try Katatonia - Murder or Rainroom or some other from that album and next EP

Knightwhosayni's picture

Try some of our fellow countrymen Minushuman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQGzePlFo9Y

Nice ! French metal !
I like the vocals, really dig the song in general, plus I appreciate the fact it's a french band ! Definitely gonna listen to more of their stuff !

Knightwhosayni's picture

Go for it! ;)

VoodooChild's picture

I always loved old In Flames, also Insomnium. But I'm not that much into melodeath.

Noir.666's picture

I think you can grabb yourself all the old swedish death metal stuff, from 'At The Gates' to 'Dismember'...
Can't do anything wrong with that stuff.

Claudandus's picture

Here's some killer albums,

Gorement - The Ending Quest
Ceremonial Oath - The Book of Truth
Azure - Moonlight Legend
Scum - Mother Nature
Adorior - Like Cutting the Sleeping

Living Dead Hedgehog's picture

Salut!

Même si j'ai longtemps abandonné le Death mélodique, il y a un tas de groupes qui sont très intéressants donc voilà une liste qui peux t'intéresser:

Insomnium - One For Sorrow [groupe finlandais qui doit + se rapprocher de tes attentes en matière de DeathMélo, assez planant et parfois bien brut, mélodies ultra entrainantes]
Wintersun - Wintersun [mon album préféré de Death Mélodique avec des touches Black, Power, Epic; avec Jari Maënpäa ,ancien membre d'Ensiferum]
Enfiserum - Ensiferum [très porté Viking mais restre très mélo et possède le + de titres épiques, l'album From Afar est aussi super]
The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal [Death Mélo US qui vient de Michigan très moderne, la voix de Trevor est assez singulière, la thématique très porté sur le vampirisme, l'horrifique; l'album Everblack aussi est super]
Vale of Pnath - II [Death Mélodique Technique, ultra rapide avec des références à la littérature de Lovecraft, très moderne aussi dans la voix et le style de composition]
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done [un de leur album le + moderne et qui est aussi le plus rentre-dedans, plein plein de gros hits, toute la discographie du groupe passe par différentes phases donc c'est un groupe à explorer du début jusqu'à la fin]
Shadow of Intent - Primordial [Deathcore mélodique de Rhode Island/Connecticut, des petits jeunes qui ont littéralement renouvelé le Deathcore et qui est l'un des groupes à suivre de plus près dans l'indépendant - un nouvel album est sorti il y a quelques semaines et s'appelle Reclaimer]
Whispered - Shogunate Macabre [Death Mélo Samurai Finlandais, très épique, fait un peu Ensiferum avec une touche Black, bien sûr avec sonorités rappelant le Japon, assez surprenant]
Hollow World - Examinate [Death Mélo Moderne Australien sous cocaine, ultra rapide, très rafraîchissant par rapport à toute la scène scandinave]

Sinon, tu peux te plonger dans du Death Mélo Européen assez classique In Flames [pas les 3 derniers], At The Gates, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy..
Du Tech Death mélodique avec quasiment tout ce qui sort du label The Artisan Era notamment Inferi. The Zenith Passage aussi est sympa, Fallujah même si c'est pas trop mélodique
Enfin si tu veux plus de breakdowns donc du Deathcore Mélodique: All Shall Perish [Awaken The Dreamers] et As Blood Runs Black [Allegiance]

Voilà, bonne écoute à toi!

miggy_666's picture

I'll second Ensiferum although I wouldn't recommend anything after Victory Songs, which fucking rules. After that it's a gamble. Other classics include Carcass - Heartwork, Desultory - Into Eternity, Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun, Necrophobic - Nocturnal Silence, etc.

Salut !
J'connaissais déjà Ensiferum, un de mes groupes de folk/viking metal favoris (avec Heidevolk, Eluveitie, Falkenbach...)
Déjà donné mon avis plus haut sur In Flames et At The Gates qu'on m'a conseillés !
Pareil pour Amon Amarth ! Sauf que ce groupe, j'aime pas, parce que je trouve le growl assez moche et que les instrus sont pas assez intéressantes pour rattraper le niveau général
Arch Enemy y'a quelques trucs que j'aime bien (dont leurs reprises d'Iron Maiden)
Et Children Of Bodom y'a deux trois chansons que j'kiffe aussi
J'écoute le reste dés que j'ai le temps, cimer pour ton message très complet !

nameless_rites's picture

I dunno man, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here as I absolutely loathe most of these groups, to me it's like the musical equivalent of drinking Smirnoff Ice.

However, I can get into older At The Gates, Edge of Sanity, Amorphis, Sentenced, Ceremony, Eucharist, Dissection, Carcass - Heartwork, Dark Tranquillity (Osmose Records era), In Flames thru Jester Race; really what most people call "melodic death metal" is either Iron Maiden with growled vocals, or awful metalcore... the Maiden-with-growls stuff is kind of a guilty pleasure for me but I wouldn't even call it real death metal.

Try checking out "Terminal Spirit Disease" by At The Gates, it's actually a pretty good bridge between melodeath and actual death metal.

DisgustingSemla's picture

Haven't seen anyone mention these ones yet:
Dawn - Nær Sólen Gar Niþer for Evogher
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

nameless_rites's picture

I always considered Dawn more of a black metal band, but yeah Unanimated, esp In The Forest of the Dreaming Dead is great too... if we're going further in the direction of actual death metal that's a great band. Also Necrophobic - Darkside and Nocturnal Silence and the first Desultory album, Into Eternity, are worth hearing.

Croby's picture

I'm not that into melodic death metal, but these guys from Montenegro destroy, only one demo out for now, but I think they show huge potential: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HeZF11PsPc

vikingdantheman's picture

Dark Tranquillity- the minds i
-the gallery

Absoluteaggressor's picture

Sending out a second on Soilwork, Their albums all have a different feel to them. Earlier with harsh vocals, the later with good quality clean vocals.

kereealazer's picture

The Absence: From Your Grave!

BroodOfHatred's picture

Vehemence

BroodOfHatred's picture

ILL Disposed

Stormblast's picture

Maybe not what you had in mind, but when it comes to melodic death there is only one name in my head: Kalmah,..the first three albums

Saurva's picture

I think Arghoslent deserves much more credit than they get. Morality aside, they're top notch melodic death metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGWEEpepNp4

Metalmate's picture

Gates Of Ishtar all 3 albums.
Cryhavoc all 2 Albums
I think you might like these

kresctilon's picture

Soijl play Melodic Doom/Death Metal and their music is mesmerizing. Definitely check them out if you have the time.

578,656 items in the gallery, 884,161 comments, and 671 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments