TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

TSS is supported by ‐ monitor website changes with changedetection.io
Forums > All other metal related talk..

What are the origins of patches for hard rock/heavy metal?

Thiellus
Thu, 13/09/2018 - 18:09

Collecting and trading patches is now such a common behavior amongst metalheads, but I wonder how it all started. Does anyone know how patches started as a way of showing off your favorite band? I imagine they had their beginnings with motorcycle clubs and made their way over to the metal underworld along with leather jackets and studs sometime in the 70s or early 80s. But when did bands start regularly selling patches with their album artwork showcased on them? Which were some of the first bands to do this? If anyone has a personal anecdote to share about this, please do! If there’s already a topic on this (very likely there is) just say so and redirect me there. Thanks and cheers \m/

Greaserjlg's picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3TsQDp1G9Q

I remember seeing this video a while ago. Pretty much just encompasses what Kozmo said. Everything you need to know about patches and battle jackets origins.

Thiellus's picture

This video is a great summary of the origin story, thanks for sharing!

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments