TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

TSS is supported by ‐ monitor website changes with changedetection.io
Forums > All other metal related talk..

Vinyl heads!! What was the album that really got you into collecting?

Megaladoink
Fri, 03/02/2023 - 02:40

For me it was finding a copy of Black Sabbath Vol 4 at a garage sale with a few others. This was a first press gatefold with the full color inlays. prob $1. the funny thing, was I thought it was a compilation, and I began looking for like Vol. 1, 2, etc... I got hip pretty soon by my friend and felt like such an idiot.

MortalCoil138's picture

My first vinyl LP was actually Living in the 70s by the Skyhooks, I bought it for $8 AUD (about $6USD), the sleeve had a little bit of damage, but the record was in otherwise pretty good condition.

Megaladoink's picture

Cool. Dont know that band. Thanks as Im always looking for new music.

MortalCoil138's picture

No worries, they're Aussie pop/rock from the 70s, here's a link to a YT playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LPAOW3-ZjI&list=OLAK5uy_nI7EfhecM8YC4RK...

The album was produced by Ross Wilson who was also an Aussie pop/rock artist/icon.

FOAD's picture

Satyricon 3 Picture LP boxset with the first three albums, this is what I started my collection with, must have been 1998.

Megaladoink's picture

Wow!!! htats an epic first piece(s) of wax. Prob got it for may 50-80 bucks. now worth upwards of $100 bucks. Bravo!!

FOAD's picture

I don't even know what this box cost back then, it was also before the Euro, when there was still the good old German Mark.
Nowadays it is sold around 400-500€.

MetalMike666's picture

Found an 80's second pressing of Heaven and hell on vinyl at a local hole in the wall record store (don't remember the name, and they are out of business now) in California. I never looked back after that.

kimo's picture

Well...when I got into music there was only vinyl and cassettes....Yes I'm old. Now cassettes had a limited life span so vinyl was the obvious choice.
And just for the record I fucking hated cd's from the beginning. Putting on a record is an experience I find...you sit and listen and know that you're going to have to flip it in 20 odd minutes, whereas I found putting 5 cd's in a cd stacker just kinda became background music, well for me at least.

MetalMike666's picture

Adding to your resentment towards CD's- I don't think bands re-recording certain parts of their older material (megadeth and Ozzy Ozbourne come to mind) to sell exclusively on CD didn't help either. 2004 was especially a terrible year for classic metal reissues on CD.

Kathulex's picture

Kraftwerk - Radioactivity was the first LP I ever bought but I started collecting when I've found a ton of old lp's like Dark Side of the Moon

Tina Taem 22's picture

I started to pick some iron maiden albums like Seventh Son that was my first maiden album that i brought off from Discogs.

meaningless's picture

it was never a matter of 'collecting' for me....back in the days...the CD was a 'brand new thing' and way more expensive then LPs ...so...i just simple bought vinyl instead of CDs.....
i just simple bought...the 'new stuff' when it came out....thats it :)

Megaladoink's picture

oh totally get ya. for me cassettes and vinyl were the ways to listen to stuff as my broke ass parents didnt have CD players. when my dad got divorced from my mom when he left he gave me his box of records as a guide for my life. in there was Metallica Master Of Puppets. I listened to it so many times and would just replay leper messiah over and over

andermatten's picture

I have no idea. metalwise it was probably harmony corruption in a little record shop in basel in around 1998

Megaladoink's picture

Dude. That album is so good

marcFF's picture

When i started collecting vinyls i already had over 50 cd's but i don't know why i started to buy vinyl. My first one was Deafheaven - New Bermunda

Thrashgu's picture

Barón Rojo - Volúmen Brutal

MelFromHell's picture

Michael Jackson -Thriller 🙈 it wasn't my first viny I owned but the first I bought myself.

Into Glory Ride's picture

Hahaha for me it actually was the first I owned, gift from my sister

MelFromHell's picture

How lovely. Well it's a a classic with a few real bangers on it, I still play it now.

sandmanforce's picture

My first not hungarian press record was Helloween - Walls Of Jericho. I was very happy when I bought in 1989.
There were lots of album when I found first Bathory for 6 euro or Glacier mini LP for 2 euro price here...long time ago

lambofgodfan00's picture

Honestly, first or second pressing of Rise Against's The Sufferer and The Witness. Still their best album and last album where they were truly themselves in the punk scene (until they got that Geffen money).

MrCrispy13's picture

Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast on release day in '82. It wasnt called collecting vinyl back then, it was just 'listening to music'. You had to record it yourself to cassette to play it in your car before school in the parking lot since nobody wanted to buy a cassette that had no insert or liner notes. We werent sure Bruce was gonna work replacing Di'anno but he did just fine.

LucifersFaithful's picture

Funnily enough, my first Vinyl was Terror 404 from Perturbator, I loved the whole experience of opening it up and listening to it on a record player.

Into Glory Ride's picture

Metal-wise: A signed copy of Walls of Jericho from Ebay. Probably around '99/00

MelFromHell's picture

My first actual record was Exumer - Possessed by Fire. Some French guy here on TSS gave it to me for my 18th birthday at Hellfest. He just recognised me, gave me a kiss on the cheek and handed me this saying happy birthday 😂 wish I remembered his username, but was my on old account

Greaserjlg's picture

The first record I ever listened to was a Simon & Garfunkel LP that I inherited from my grandmother, funny enough.
The record that made me really get into the vinyl format was my Bolt Thrower Warmaster LP. The sound was absolutely crushing as compared to my crappy CD version.
I used to buy everything on vinyl, but these days I'm a lot more selective. Moving with boxes of records is a bitch and a half.

Darklord's picture

Aerosmith Toys in the Attic

dhany yuniarso's picture

My first vinyl LP is death vomit "prophecy" and siksakubur "eye cry", I bought it on records store day.

metalarchivesripsection's picture

Morbid Angel - Slime Vinyl - Domination 1995 was my first LP!

ThatBillyGuy's picture

At first i just wanted to collect them to display and wanted to since my uncle has a lot of vinyl's and my dad has a framed power window vinyl. The first albums i got were and justice for all, 1984, and Boston self titled. Then later on I got a record player so i could listen to them.