TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Using dye...

stenchcore massive
Sun, 30/11/2014 - 03:05

So im thinking of dying my old kutte black and repatching it, the only thing is...ive never successfully dyed anything. Twice Ive used dylon, but they just turn things a slightly shit shade of the intended colour after following all of the instructions on dying things by hand.

Can anyone recommend a better dye or method? or send me a black denim jacket haha ;)

gizter's picture

haha, reminds me of my jacket ;)
on the instructions of dylon it also says something about some stuff to take the collor out if it first and doing the normal pocedure after that (to get an even finnish). maybe thats the way to go. so it wont have any bleu bleeding trough.
honestly don't know otherwhise.

gizter's picture

http://www.dylon.com.au/cc-predye.htm
this one i was talking about.

SAATANANVITTU's picture

I think first bleaching the jacket would be a good plan, since the colour obviously sticks better and more evenly when the fabric is lighter.

gizter's picture

''Q
Will dye cover up bleach marks?
A
As bleach can harm the fabric, dyeing may not usually cover up bleach marks.''

from tha Dylon website. think these a big chance of failing if you bleach some part even a little to much.

PForx's picture

Not a good idea if the jacket is in a worn contition. It will dissolve.

SAATANANVITTU's picture

Yeah, that is all true, but if we are speaking of a dark, unused denim for example, I'd give this a try.

PForx's picture

True, but stenchcore is talking about his old kutte. Sorry if I'm being a querulant.

doomtilldeath's picture

Well, I've succesfully dyed one denim vest with Dylon machine wash colours. The trick is to use black AND brown colors to hide the blue.

gizter's picture

haha, seeing my jacket, that might work pretty good indeed..

TStorm's picture

Also, make sure youre jacket is 100% cotton. As dylon website states, the results wont be as great in mixed fabrics. i was surprised to find out my levis denim jacket is actually a 70/30 cotton/synthetic blend, which means that i only got a dark blue instead of black.

JoeCool6972's picture

I have used RIT dye with great success. The best method is to boil a large pot of water on the stove, turn heat down to low, dump the dye in, stir it, place the item in, stir it, let set for an hour or two stirring every few minutes. Another trick I learned BEFORE dying is wash the item in the washing machine in hot water with a cup of salt. The salt helps remove prior fabric softener and roughs up (softens) the cloth so it holds the dye better. USE NO FABRIC SOFTENER as it creates a film on the cloth.

GoreGrinder666's picture

Ive use rit all the time, 2 bottles and some water. My only suggestion is get a brick or something heavy to hold the fabric down, if not then you'll have patches of less darker fabric

576,867 items in the gallery, 883,593 comments, and 657 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• ι€ζˆ‘
  • These are crazy hard
  • 🀘🏻 Sick show it was, cheers 🍻
  • https://youtu.be/wPHpAQyODHk?feature=shared
  • Full Flames!!! I never saw this poster before. I own the EMP, but this is fucking supreme! Really cool album by Sodom.
  • I cut it off of the sleeve from an old air force flight jacket that I thrifted.
  • Could you possibly explain the camo inside pocket. I am very interested on how it functions
  • beauty
  • Really cool, don't think I ever saw this patch when it was released. Blast from the not so distant past! Haha
  • Wild stuff especially Ed Hunter!
  • So cool. Was really hoping there would be leftovers.
  • πŸ˜πŸ€˜πŸΌπŸ’« Oh yes!
  • Morbid Angel socks?? Damn, they look really nice! I had no idea they even make socks with metal bands, he he!
  • 🀣🀣🀣 good one!
  • Thanks Friend 🀘
  • Blessed are the Socks