TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > EBay or other finds

Shirt prices getting higher - this is why

doomtilldeath
Thu, 27/09/2018 - 12:50

Okey, so I've noticed that sometimes shirts that were sold on ebay end up here, back in ebay or etsy but for double the price and only a few weeks or months later. There seems to be some "businessmen" who want to try and make money by buying and selling shirts.

Just for your information: if something is sold in an auction in ebay for 40e, it is usually pretty much what the shirt is worth. Why do you think people would pay more? Or do you think other collectors arent bidding??
I guess you are hoping to find some new hipster fan who doesnt have a clue..

I find it disgusting to try to squeeze money out of your fellow collectors and fans. This is also driving the prices higher. But I guess you dont care, as long as you can make money out of it. What a shame....

Heres some examples:

https://tshirtslayer.com/tshirt-or-longsleeve/carcass-%E2%80%8E-reek-put...
Original ebay auction:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mpvjmHjWEyq-tIRhTOZAF7NrHebv_exP/view?u...
Back in ebay:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T98czbSy2hecQxm6NlAEQSMMx45Fl1S7/view?u...

https://tshirtslayer.com/tshirt-or-longsleeve/carcass-symphonies-sicknes...
Original ebay auction:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zAqDk4yAdMmfOex3-4zbj6_wVE_z49Iz/view?u...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-uaPy0ALCPkwOBsYXKy5tnY55w7VvSq/view?u...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HFF0bzXhqq3aRuTEG0QTGMbpPFsz53HL/view?u...
Now in etsy:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fMJ6zLi_UqgUy4UIkQ7-5Awywxa6zqao/view?u...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FUcXIEHNCxyPwwi0EzvZuyaC5bY1vtgV/view?u...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_XKAvrTbPRp9W093WRSA483JrKm2OR63/view?u...

doomtilldeath's picture

You are right about that one. But why then set the asking price so high? I call it gold digging. Hoping for someone to pay so much. If you buy a shirt and it doesnt fit you, you could just set the price to what you paid + maybe 5-10eur for your time?

Ofc its different if you find something from a fleamarket, yard sale or similar and it was underpriced to begin with. For example: you buy an old slayer shirt for 5eur and sell it later on ebay for 50e. Thats fair I guess. And its about luck, having the time to search and so on.

Rime Of The Ancient Ville's picture

ihan vitun säälittävää tommonen

vkok's picture

I disagree man. Its the crazy buyers who are throwing money around to blame here. As long as there is someone who will pay this crazy money, you can drive the prices as high as the sky.

Personally, i put a 70$ cut off on a single shirt and its the principle i go by. More than that...its not worth it. Its just a shirt after all. I'd rather buy 3 or 4 new shirts with good design that will become rarity in the next 10 years rather than buy one totally abused shirt.

Even if i can afford to spend 300$ on one single shirt, it breaks my own rule.

If i am to sell some of my rare shirts (i have about 10 to 15 90's rare shirts), i would definately put it up on ebay for 70$ or so and its the minimum i would take for it. I would be totally okay letting it go for 70$ as well.

I think we can show hatred towards people who sell shirts for 20 and ask 50 for shipping. There is a TRUE rip off right there.

Gorejuicexxx's picture

Spending 300 bucks on a shirt... and still not willing to take me to dinner...

vkok's picture

oh...i dont want to lose my virginity in a crooked restaraunt washroom. I am waiting for the big surprise!

Valittu's picture

Kun record-flipping ei riitä nii aletaa siirtyy shirt-flippingii :--D meno vitun nykyaika

Gorejuicexxx's picture

Prices sre going crazy... ive seen lots of shirts going up to 200 usd... fuck!

miggy_666's picture

There are longsleeves (particularly old Entombed, Dismember and Bolt Thrower) that can get up to $400, maybe even $500. I saw an original Dismember LAEFS tour LS go for like $600 on ebay earlier this year. Fucking nuts.I think a lot of shady or uninformed sellers have caught on to the fact that metalheads are nostalgic people and willing to pay a lot for original merch. There's other dudes who just simply have cash to throw around and there's nothing that can be done about that. And then there's idiots who think because Trey was the owner of this or that Morbid Angel shirt it's somehow worth more.

Kvltdad's picture

Yeah, I saw a Morbid Angel shirt get listed on ebay for $1000. And a Carcass shirt on etsy for OVER $2000, and the design on the shirt is fucking available on Carcass' webstore.

Nater90's picture

All comes down to pay what you're comfortable with. If you don't want to pay $200 then don't. It's fucked that they go for that but some one might have an attachment because they went to the gig and never had a chance to get it etc.

The World now and always had investor collectors, people buy when it's cheap and offload when it's high, I collect Magic The Gathering cards it's same thing, I got a booster pack for $7 and pulled a card selling for $50-$70 the market is full of them I'm holding onto it because I want to keep it, but later if I was desperate for cash I could flip it for a quick buck.

Pisses me off the amount of people that sell on hear and don't become patreons to help Doc / the site.

doomtilldeath's picture

Yes, I am fully aware that ebay is full of overpriced stuff. That wasnt really the point here. The point was people who bid over others just to try reselling it for a much higher price. Both of those examples where normal ebay auctions. I bid 35e on both of those and the other even ended at 35,50 which means it was just me against the guy who bought it for resale. Just sad really.
Funny thing is, after I had lost both auctions, I was able to buy the same shirt in great condition for 40e. Also from ebay. Good karma I guess.
And yeah, Ive got all my shirts for reasonable prices, there is fortunately still good likeminded people who are in it for the collecting and not money making.
Ive met all kinds of great people who trade and sell with the real collector passion. You make great deals, people gift you stuff, let go off stuff they know means a lot to you and so on. Greedy people will never experience that.

Nater90's picture

Simply put if someone out bids and tries and flips for a mental price their a dick.

Unjustifiablexistence's picture

It's not only the shirts.. I've seen so many patches, especially on Etsy, being sold for insane prices. Those "businessmen", as you call them, buy them for 5€ on Ebay and sell them for 30€ on Etsy.. They are only about profit it seems. Resellers like that suck.. They always put "VINTAGE" and the year the patch was released in the title just to be sure that some clueless hipster will buy it

Into Glory Ride's picture

I have a pretty simple policy as a seller personally . I ask "what is it worth to you?" and then we will see if that matches my own ideas I had before. If not we can either find common ground somewhere in between or not . Yo me that's a very fair way to handle this.
But I agree , shirt prices can become ridiculous...

vkok's picture

i hope its not full time job for these flippers too...realistically they dont make much money from doing it. Maybe 5 to 20$ a shirt? in my opinion, not worth the hassle of even going to the post office to ship it for that kind of money.

Heinz's picture

Why I like trading here if I can help it. I'll spend for what I really want, but I'm not gonna get fucked either.

nameless_rites's picture

I've paid 100+- a few times for shirts I really wanted, but prices are insane now. The old 90s shirts I have I either got at the time or bought on eBay in the early 2000s.

I bought a Marduk "heaven shall burn" shirt for $3.80 in 2004, sold it a few years ago for $200, now it's selling for $325.

meaningless's picture

same with Vinyls...i was always buying LPs. early 2000's everything was so pretty cheap..i bought LPs for 5-10 euros ....the same LPs goes now for 30-50 euro....

dlasater's picture

Great topic...Ive bought a couple bm longsleeves for 200$ , and sold a few at that price with no problem....sometimes overnight. Some of my shit came from an actual band member....Got one in particular thats hard to let go, but need the cash. So I have it listed at a higher price, but if someone makes an offer, I'll always consider.... Almost positive I'll never see another one in deadstock condition again. But yeah, bad business choice to make if one outbids then re-sales higher. Had someone wanting to sell a shirt to me for $450 once,...I'll pass yeah!...

frankie530's picture

Yeah the prices can get crazy retarded now for shirts and patches. It's sad really fake greedy metal fans do this what's more sad is how much of a profit are they honestly making? Congrats you made $20 more than you bought something for maybe 10 after shipping, hope you have a real job. This is really the buyers fault if you think about it if people didn't pay hundreds for vintage shirts these fake fans in the scene wouldn't exist.

Minty's picture

But sometimes it is worth it to the buyer to pay more for a piece that they've been looking for for a while. I know I've payed above value for some stuff I've really wanted.

It just sucks when there's a one time purchase that's maybe 150% of its actual value and then every seller thinks that that is the normal price!

frankie530's picture

I agree Minty, there is no blue book for patches/shirts I see some go for 200 one day then 40 another

Ironhead's picture

Reminds me how a while ago at a festival in Germany some dude bought several patches from us and later when we had sold them all he was outside trying to sell them for over 4x the price we asked for them, quick business mind at work there but I hope no one bought any from him.

meaningless's picture

to read something like this..rly hurts my metal-heart...ppfff....god damn all this greedy bastards....pppffffff

dlasater's picture

The real problem is hollywood...everyone wearing metal shirts, and don't even listen to it.
Used to wear bm shirts when it was to set you apart from the"crowd", now its the thing to do?!?!....is why I never wear now, just collect

Kvltdad's picture

I don't wear my iron maiden shirt anymore from all the posers going "sick shirt bro" when they don't have a clue who Steve Harris is

blackdeathdker's picture

It's definitely getting a lot more expensive... but if it's a band that you really love and have a connection growing up with or a super rare mint deadstock item that perhaps you have been hunting for a decade, I don't see a problem with spending a little bit more.. but there's also a limit and the point of just plain insanity.. I've seen Darkthrone longsleeves (peaceville late 90s prints) go for some way above average $$ of late, same as older Marduk stuff go for some crazy, crazy prices. I remember seeing a Gorgasm masticate to dominate bloodletting tour long sleeve auction for over $500 earlier this year.. there's some hardcore fans out there.

Chemical Burn's picture

I'd sooner buy a bootleg that spend more than €30 or so on a shirt. I need to cut them up to fit me anyway, I'm not gong to throw money at them.

AbysmalWind's picture

Maanelyst, come along!

576,867 items in the gallery, 883,593 comments, and 657 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments