TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Reactions from merch?

calebheney223
Mon, 09/10/2017 - 04:01

Just want to hear any stories regarding some of the reactions from wearing merch. doesnt even have to be metal merch, but lets be honest, it probably is.

My story right now is being suspended for my Bonded by Blood shirt, i go to a public high school and apparently they didnt like conjoined kirk hammett and gary holt very much

DarkValkyrieofDeath's picture

most recently i got a nice comment about my burzum shirt from a clerk at long and mcquade when i was buying guitar strings or pedals there cant remember what i was buying... also i got nice comments on my gamer battle jacket from an asian guy when i was walking downtown... i said to myself u know ur style is good when asians compliment you... (sorry to sound like a weaboo)

calebheney223's picture

That's cool! My grandma likes some of my shirts, even though shes pretty Christian. she got me my first venom shirt back in 09

my grandma thought most of my metal music was just noise, though she did appreciate my moms taste in metal, also she liked the sound of Till Lindemann from Rammsteins voice and thought he had a lot of talent

Nater90's picture

I was at a youth gig helping out wearing my Cradle of Filth - Jesus is a Cunt t shirt and the woman running it asked me if I could put a sticker of cunt because of 12 year olds being there, I said yeah that's cool did it, So it read Jesus is a Freeza, Then a kids Mum thought she could lecture me about how Jesus saved her and all that stuff, I said, You can have your opinion and I can have mine, Was tempted to tell her to fuck off but was the better person and just ignored her and continued helping out my friends.

lambofgodfan00's picture

When I was in high school, I guess a good number of really devoted religious kids reported me to the prinicpal's office because I wore my Bad Religion cross-buster shirt to school. I literally had to wear my shirt inside out the rest of the day (didn't want to get suspended since I needed the grades).

It's funny looking back, since I wore other shirts that have blatant satanic, occult or anti-religious symbolism...but that was the ONE shirt that apparently crossed the line for them!

Nater90's picture

Hahaha, Pisser.

Yeah some of them are weird with certain ones and fine with others...

Bolzenwerfer's picture

:o) that's a good one!

Nater90's picture

Cheers!

lambofgodfan00's picture

I've had reactions range from "Right on, man!","Cool!" and hailing the horns, to looks of pure disgust/contempt, being told "that's disrespectful" and full on scoffing from people.

People have freaked out positively over my shirt and patch works, which is always cool.

calebheney223's picture

The positives always rule, I guess I live where there almost no metal fans, just my friends really. ive gotten told I'm going to hell for a death shirt just because it had the leprosy album art

lambofgodfan00's picture

Oh, I've been told that too a few times.

DukeThylacine's picture

When I do get attention by other metalheads about my merch it's usually because they don't know what band it is and they're intrigued by the artwork (as I mainly listen to folk metal, and even within that subgenre I mostly listen to the unknown, underrated ones). As for non-metalheads, I've never been questioned by them...or whatever.

Blackslashband's picture

one drunk guy at a festival in the Netherlands called me a Nazi for wearing a Slayer backpatch and a bullet belt (I'm German btw)... what an idiot

kereealazer's picture

My favourite is when I was at the store with one of my best friends and we saw an Exodus shirt I had he's like that's gross. We go back to my pad and I took out the shirt and he's like date night shirt xD

satan's radish's picture

Some lady working the register in a Dollar General said she liked my Nuit Noire shirt, which was strange. I figure she just liked the design.

nameless_rites's picture

Whenever someone asks me "What does your shirt say?" I always come up with some funny, bullshit story. "Oh yeah it's a restaurant called Lurching Joe's, they have the spiciest hot wings in San Diego"... try it sometime, see if you can keep a straight face.

cambotero's picture

cant belive you can be suspended for just wearing a shirt. thats bullshit.

emperialmassacre's picture

I got kicked out of a mall for wearing a Cradle of Filth shirt in the late 90s. First I had a mall janitor tell me I need Jesus and all this bullshit and then I was in the FYE and a security guard came up to me and said I had to leave cause children could see my shirt. I told him I can wear whatever I want but I eventually just left cause I didn't care enough to fight it out longer.

I was in a Chinese restaurant one time eating wearing a Slayer God Hates Us All shirt and right as I was about to put food in my mouth some old lady comes up and asks if I really believe that. I just said I'm trying to eat here and ignored her.

Nowadays people just stare.

heres a non metal story this thread made me remember, i got a compliment about my resident evil shirt from a clerk at mcdonalds, odd place to have that happen, still makes me smile

Pantos's picture

I've had people take pics of my battle jacket, esp. my Scream Bloody Gore patch, which is awesome. Occasionally get compliments from random people.

Otherwise it's mostly people asking like "Carcass! That's a band, right?" but occasionally I get people thinking it's weird or "too butch"

thumbtackjack's picture

ahh yes, "too butch". Got that alot in high school, its what made me graduate early. Too stubborn to stop dressing like a metalhead, too insecure to not be hurt when called a faggot. Kids are assholes, fuck my life \m/

Vulverine's picture

Had a Napalm Death sticker on my old car, and an old guy was puzzled over me thinking I was seriously promoting Napalm ...

MasterDeath's picture

When I made "Glen Benton for president" shirt about 7 years ago, when I was in the market I heard one elderly couple peeking at me and commenting my shirt. They said something like "it's very nice to see young people listening to our Dalmatian gem". At first I didn't know what they're talking about but later I found out that they thought about this guy haha:
https://static.kupindoslike.com/Miso-Kovac-Jos-i-danas-teku-suze-jedne-z...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FGnt-z0qE0 (those who don't want to enjoy these magnificent ethno, pop-folk tunes from the beginning, skip to 1:20)

Nater90's picture

I totally want to rock that Moustache!!!

Pop Folk is epic, My Mrs and I have been listening to neglected Serbian / Croatian / Yugoslav artists.

Necro Rican's picture

During this upcoming aftermath of Hurricane Maria here in Puerto Rico, during the first days after the storm hit the island, while I was making a line to buy breakfast in a bakery, a priest told me in front of the people "Lord ward off Lucifer" for wearing a white shirt featuring a Vegigante (my country's cultural monster) with a Cthulhu like appearance.

wizard of gore's picture

i got a comment on my dead infection patch at the skatepark last night, and i get a few comments on my psychic tv tattoo

oldmate's picture

different tee's get different reactions

- Metallica - I always get a few good comments if I am in a Metallica Tee, some people come up and have a quick chat about Metallica

- Vaginal Mustard - I hd a guy in a servo (gas station) come up and say.. "i cant read that logo, but it looks fucking brutal, he then asked me to turn around so he could read the back and then he goes "what the fuck is this" hahaha so that cracked me up

- Gutalax - any gig I am at with a gutalax tee, people will come up and talk shit about gutalax. its fucking great.

no really negative reactions. I think some people are still shocked my metal up for ass tee haahha

Jen Gruesome's picture

I had a recent incident at work last week. I work in a professional environment - science research - and I work with pretty groovy people. But I do pin up around my desk upcoming gig flyers/ favourite band pics to keep me motivated and happy during my long days, and I do work in an open office so I'm aware people can often hear me talk about weekend gig-going plans, etc.

Apparently someone mentioned to my manager that I've been quoting '666' and other devil-worshipping phrases around, which I found completely hilarious and baffling as I'm very cautious about that sort of thing with respect to others. My manager and I have a great relationship but she told me out of courtesy that someone has been promoting a little office gossip around. She said to hold my head up high and not let it get to me. Made me rofl, but it was a good reminder that metal music can be interpreted in such ways by those who are not familiar with it.

My desk adornments remain unchanged and I'm still proud and grateful as fuck to be able to express a little of myself at work, but I did offer to explain to anyone anytime what it's all about.

Corvus Corax's picture

Ha ha. I experience similar. I'm an analyst so, I too have to 'rub-elbows' with other 'professional' folks who sometimes ask about the stuff I have on my walls. None of it is very outlandish. I have had some unsavory rumors float-around about me. Mostly that I'm mean, or mean-looking. I've heard that some believe me to be a satanist and that I sacrifice cats, and some weirder stuff. People have colourful imaginations. Thankfully my bosses don't seem to mind it at-all.

Jen Gruesome's picture

Rofl, colourful imaginations indeed. It is a story I like to tell people now, just for how weird it was and how it caught me so unexpectedly. Grateful to know that there are much, much worse office rumours that could be floating around about oneself.

Corvus Corax's picture

Ha ha. Indeed!

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments