TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

TSS is supported by ‐ monitor website changes with changedetection.io
Forums > All other metal related talk..

preferred listening format?

DeathInFire
Wed, 11/05/2016 - 16:03

so vinyl is all the rage again and im wondering what are your guys preferred format to listen to music on? i love vinyl because of the sound and bigger artwork but to go against the grain, i actually prefer to get cds. i like being able to leave one in my car for a week and listen to it non stop, i love having all my spines lined up and seeing a bands entire discography on my shelf and i just like the feel of them more. i know thats probably controversial to say but hey i like what i like.

so what about you guys? vinyl? cd? cassettes? mp3s? 8-tracks?

bad_american1992's picture

Youtube in 240p haha
CD collector hear. My ride has a big center console that holds 7 or 8 CD's, great for bringing tunes on the road. Looking to get a solid CD player or boombox soon, if anyone can recommend a brand or model.

kereealazer's picture

Sony.

kresctilon's picture

Yes, a million times! Purchase nothing but Sony. Only the highest quality products. I own a vintage Sony Cassette/CD player and it is absolutely incredible.

kereealazer's picture

I have a vintage cd deck from them need to buy new speakers but it was a beast growing up having music time to Raffi on.

bad_american1992's picture

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to blast some Banana Phone when I finally get to upgrade.

Cthulhu1999's picture

CDs Cheaper than Vinyl, especially when your poor like me.

Into Glory Ride's picture

My order would be like this: Vinyl --> Tape --> CD --> Everything else.
I did not grow up with Vinyl at all, but started collecting it about 7, 8 years ago. At the moment i think, it gets actually too much, especially seeing the prices for Vinyl in big retail stores. Guess everything has its Pros and Cons, right...

BeefCakeAssThrash's picture

Depends.. When I actually wanna listen to the music for the sake of actively listening, I'm going for vinyl or cassette, but during homework or whatever I just put something on on Youtube or Spotify.

imfan1975's picture

I love vinyl,cassettes and cds. Mainly a CD collector though.

Necro Rican's picture

I'm also poor and after i buy a cd, I'll just burn it on iTunes and in my mp3 player i create a folder naming x band and copy the album files there. I always listen to my favorite bands in my mp3 player since high school.

stefke's picture

CD for in the car
LP for at home
MP3 for on the bus or for a walk

PatchThePlanet's picture

Tapes man. There's nothing like taking walks in the forest and having a more primitive sort of mechanism keeps me away from distractions (phone, people) and gives me some time to just enjoy and introspect (or just revel in isolation and a misanthropic disgust, whatever the mood is I guess)

I also love the clicking sound when a tape is over, it totally reminds me of listening to tapes in the car while being driven by my grandparents.

There's also something to be said of the necro sound of most BM recordings just going so well with the graininess that's on tape. I also like the feeling of holding a tape in my hand (I like vinyls for this reason too).

Also, with tapes, there's no skipping ahead tracks easily, so you listen to an album in its entirety, which I feel like allows you to really soak in the tracks the way it was meant by the artist (granted, some albums the songs aren't linked at all - compliations, etc.) and immerse yourself in the music as opposed to being in the OCD driven-click on what you want- mentality that may otherwise tempt you when you're on a computer. It forces you to really dig down into the music and confront it (I don't know if that makes sense to you all; in my head, it's just this feeling of working to understand and appreciate that takes a few tries to really "get" - does that make sense?)

Tapes are also cheap as shit. Sorry for the rant! Felt like sharing. :)

Into Glory Ride's picture

Some wise words here.

Nater90's picture

Wanna go for a stroll together in the woods whilst listening to Black Metal Cassettes? Will listen to In The Woods... to be ironic.

Really digging your answer, I plan to get some more cassettes in time, Only ones I got were freebies from my boss, Need to go through em and see whats on em haha.

PatchThePlanet's picture

Aha fuck yeah man, next time you're in the US, we'll do it. You a big In the Woods fan? The first album is okay, the rest I can't get into! :\ it almost like... Pink Floyd?

Nater90's picture

For sure...Next time will be the first time haha, But will hit a bunch of people up!

I'm not a super duper fan boy that needs all their releases in my life, But yes I do enjoy them a lot.

I fucking love Pink Floyd I have all their studio albums and then some!

imfan1975's picture

dude could you recommend a good kind of cassette deck/player? a while ago thought i was gonna get one from my grandma, but i didn't so now i got some good ass tapes I can't even play

Nater90's picture

http://www.innovations.com.au/p/electronics/audio-sound/cassette-tape-us...

You should get one of them, You can rip the tapes to your PC also, Like a back up if the tape ever fucks up.

I've got one brand new I haven't even used yet haha.

Corvus Corax's picture

I still have my old walkman from the 80's. That thing looks like hell but, it works flawlessly. Built to last.

Der Todesking's picture

Grew up with vinyl n tapes. But since I'm not rich, I take what I can: CDs, Vinyl, tapes, mp3s, etc. Prefered is vinyl though.

jdubz666's picture

Vinyls awesome, but too damn expensive. I'm collecting mostly tapes.

Picking up a Mcintosh stereo amplifier. Its old school tube technology, supposed to be the best quality vintage equipment. it's going to sound beautiful when its gyrating with Megadeth

Panthorder's picture

I am mainly cd collector too.

Nater90's picture

I am an avid CD collector, Up to 928 CDs and have no plans of stopping.

Have a bunch of cassettes from boss I need to go through, mostly rock or pop he said.

And would love some vinyl.

Goathammer's picture

My favourite format is cassettes, they're usually pretty cheap and sound awesome. Vinyl is nice, but nowadays it can be damn expensive. I own more CD's than anything though.

kimo's picture

I prefer vinyl as there is just something about it that really appeals to me. I don't know if it just takes me back to my younger days, BC (before cd's). I also find that I'm more tuned into vinyl as you have to flip it over half way through, whereas with a cd sometimes for me it can just blend in to the background. Plus there's no comparison to holding a record in your hands with the larger artwork ect compared to a cd.

I have hundreds of cd's but always hated them from day 1, but for many years it was all you could get.

I also really like tapes but always found they have a limited playing life. After too many plays they start fucking up.

Chainbreaker's picture

I'm an avid cd collector. I have over 2000 cd's right now and not stopping. I have slowed down collecting though having a wife and kid now and too many hobbies.;-) I still go to 2 or 3 record fairs every year. Nothing against vinyl or tapes, but when I grew up they weren't that freely accessible anymore, so it just automatically became cd's. The vinyl covers look awesome though, but I also can imagine them taking in too much storage space (which I don't have). Plus I listen almost exclusively to music using cd's in my car and while mowing my lawn for which I use my ipod, so cd's turned out to be the wiser choice anyway (for me, that is).

Stathis's picture

I listen to mp3's or FLAC's all the time. If I am not bored or have a few hours free i listen to LP's. I definitely prefer LP's but it's too much effort if you are lazy like me.

Zastrozzi's picture

Vinyl is superior but requires a lot of maintenance, is expensive, and takes up a large amount of space, so I mostly stick to CDs.

judascrust's picture

I'd like to say vinyl because of the full sensory experience you get with vinyl (the feel of it, the smell of it, the larger artwork which appeals to the visual aspect in addition to the listening experience)
Tapes are great for that nostalgic kind of feeling plus sound wise, if you're listening to an older cassette, you're hearing the album as it was originally released...
But cds are a lot more versatile as far as the use you can get out of them (compact, cam play them in the car, can rip mp3s amd put them on your phone/mp3player etc... ) so Id go with cds.

Snaggletooth's picture

I had enough vinyl in my lifetime and never really liked it,I only got it for hoping a poster or something came with it.I would record the album to a cassette the same day I bought it,so my vinyl collection is about 90% mint and the used stuff is something I never understood how people like buying used vinyl when it wears out like everything else especially the inner grooves after numerous plays goes to hell.

These days I go for cd's and mp3 or flac when it's hard to find stuff.

longe666's picture

Vinyl. Have about 1000 metal cds and they are just stacked in boxes on the attic collecting dust. In the house only vinyl.

NocturnalOccultist's picture

To me Vinyls look cool AF but I'm a poor cheap bastard! haha. Anyways I grew up with cassettes,so cassettes for me because its much cheaper than a CD and looks cooler than a CD to that you can put it in your pocket!

Zastrozzi's picture

Vinyl, as I said, is the optimal listening format if you have the space and money. Me, personally, I love my CDs. Way more convenient. Also, a lot of black metal albums from the 90s never saw a vinyl release, so....

Nater90's picture

Agreed with some 90s Black Metal, So much killer stuff.

Who's your favourite?

BroodOfHatred's picture

CD, but 192kHz - 384kHz WAV format or higher, *the future...

Rotten's picture

Depends. I've got albums on different formats - LPs, CDs and tapes. Some albums I've got on various formats while others on just the one. I guess when I'm home, it's whatever I feel like (I have the equipment to play it all) but while driving its CDs. If I'm mobile (train etc) it's MP3 / iPod

Nater90's picture

I wanted to release my album on a bunch of micro cassettes from / recorded onto a Dictaphone, My mates not keen though....Pffft.

Corvus Corax's picture

You should find an old answering machine and go that route, then play it through a Teddy Ruxpin. Ha ha.

Nater90's picture

Hahahaha, That would be wicked, Sell it at toy stores!!

Mummy Mummy, Can I have a Teddy Ruxpin, Of course sweetie, I had one growing up, Mummy plugs it in to hear the memories flood back, But instead hears Goat Metal!!!!

Corvus Corax's picture

Hahahahaha!

Sung by real goats.

Nater90's picture

Hahahaha, That would be a pisser, Untitled bonus track, Goat noises at random!!!

JUANTHRASH's picture

This is something that is very hard for me to deceide, but I am sure I will never buy cassettes.

ekbalam's picture

Vinyl,Tapes,cds,digital...I take what I can get though

kresctilon's picture

I started my CD collection in 2008. It wasn't until 2016 that i became quite serious with it. I lost my first CD long ago, but purchased an even better version recently. I love collecting digipaks. They are much better than jewel cases, in my opinion.

Corvus Corax's picture

I like them all, for different reasons. My car has both a CD player and a Cassette player so, out of convenience I mostly buy CD's.

An Overdose Of Mkultra's picture

I've recently gotten hella into collecting (and listening to, obviously) cassettes... god only knows why, aside from how cheap tapes are nowadays... I have a huge CD collection just because they're the easiest and most affordable format to get a hold of.... and a huge digital library on my phone since i always have it on me

Influx's picture

I prefer CDs overall, I like that feel when I have them all stacked on my desk and my boyfriend has a considerable cd rack so its pretty great! But I do love digital formats since its so much easier to get music that way. I really love having a lot of different options to listen to my stuff where ever I am.

Slayerian1981's picture

CD of course

JackieChanFan's picture

I have over 700GB of mp3 files uploaded to my Google Play Music account. So much more convenient to say "hey Google play whatever album" than having to look through my music files.

kereealazer's picture

CD and Digital.

Caarkazs's picture

I use youtube most of the time to discover super underground stuff that wouldn't be sold at a record store. My favorite format, however, has to be LPs/45s. The sound is much clearer and less compressed which allows you to hear all aspects of a song. Most times I'll find something on youtube and will then buy it off discogs or a local record store. Digital and physical music work hand in hand when it comes to me.

568,592 items in the gallery, 881,079 comments, and 550 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments