TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Plastisol ink sucks

bad_american1992
Sat, 20/03/2021 - 16:52

What is the deal with this stuff? I didn't notice it showing up on shirts until the mid 2010s and I fucking hate it. Touching the graphic the wrong way, or throwing it through the washing machine is enough to ruin the entire block of ink. Does anyone know more about this printing method and why it is creeping into "the norm" for shirts? It's fine on DIY punk patches, don't get me wrong, but it has no business on t-shirts.

Knightwhosayni's picture

I'm not sure what you're refering to, since Plastisol ink is nearly as old as screen printing itself. Well not exactly, but it's used since the 1960s nonetheless. It's a legendary ink which was used on a lot of our beloved vintage shirts... As MEGADEATH points out it's heavy, and very durable. So maybe you're talking about something else?

Samppa666's picture

Maybe the problem isnt the ink itself but the the mixing of the ink, printing and the person/company printing. Quality over quantity.

On a washing machine the rpm might do more damage to the print than the temperature?

bad_american1992's picture

It could be entirely in the creation process. I've attached a reference below: note the rumples and creases and the big blocky colors, with no ability to have shading or gradients. This is the printing style that has been driving me up the wall lately.

oldschoolbogi's picture

I`m screen printing band shirts, and I can tell you, I HATE plastisol, that`s why I chose to print with waterbased inks only. I like the way how soft the print is as the ink sinks into the garment . It`s very hard to print with waterbased , it`s less opqaue and you need to print fast to prevent drying out, while you can leave plastisol out for forever, but you know... the end result always worth the sacrifice haha!
(Hint: Plastisol shouldn`t crack or fade if it`s printed and cured properly, if it cracks over time, that`s down to the printer...)

DeadAir666's picture

Plasitsol ink is the standard. If you’re having problems is because on big runs some printers will run them through the drier too quickly and therefore they aren’t cured. You should be able to pull on the print and it should let crack if it cracks it’s not cured.. this is coming from someone who works as a screen printer

bad_american1992's picture

I think that's the real cuprit here. I looked at my other shirts, some older some newer, and realized that they all used Plastisol ink but the consistency and size of the printed area differed greatly. I think the prolem comes with, as you said, the big runs that are too thick / don't cure correctly.

DeadAir666's picture

Also never chuck your band shirts in a drier it’s bad news and will crack the print or shrink the garment. Think of it like plastic cloths pegs cracking after years of being in the sun. Plastisol is oil based/and has pvc in it repeatedly exposing it to heat makes it crack. Wash them cold and turn them inside out.

Chemical Burn's picture

Tumble drying ruins any clothes and blows out the structure of the fibres. Hang dry everything if you want it to last.

Bolt Catcher's picture

Another tip for washing your shirts is to flip them inside out, it reduces the chances of cracking your shirt designs.

DeadAir666's picture

100% if you’re having issues with plastisol ink it’s because the person who printed it is shit. Every shirt I buy I run through the drier at my job and never have issues because I make sure it’s cured.

578,923 items in the gallery, 884,231 comments, and 670 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments