TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Ordo Ad Chao vs. Chimera vs. Esoteric Warfare?

SHREDDER S47
Fri, 15/07/2016 - 09:34

Three modern Mayhem albums. Curious to know which one you prefer and why

Nater90's picture

Chimera.

I do love Atilla on vocals don't get me wrong, But I fucking love Maniac on vocals, In terms of stage performance Atilla looks better and plays the part well.

No matter which album I love all of them lyrics wise.

SHREDDER S47's picture

Thanks for the response :) If vocals weren't a factor, what do you feel would be the best album musically?

Nater90's picture

Anytime, I fucking love Mayhem haha, https://tshirtslayer.com/battle-jacket/tribute-black-emperors

All three of them you asked have great songs to be honest, All are classed as Black Metal but in ways they have evolved and changed in ways if you listen to all their releases, I have 23 different Mayhem releases, Albums, EPs, Demos, Bootlegs.

Freezing Moon

Dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jOWlUmp-A

Atilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VIhIIq-kk

Maniac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZcaoFzeDs

All of them have a take on the song and the music changes slightly the way the band plays and when the vocalist sings.

Deathcrush and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas are favourites and great examples of what Black Metal was, Nowadays, Chimera and Esoteric Warfare for Mayhem themselves are great examples of the genre, Ordo Ad Chao is a bit faster tempo, But over all I like so many of their releases especially the various bootlegs I have.

Nater90's picture

Make that 25, Forgot two splits with Morbid!

Der Todesking's picture

Ordo Ad Chao anytime! It's one of Mayhem's best imo, great atmosfear! I dont like Maniacs vocals after he joined again.

blixkrieg's picture

Chimera is fucking badass. There's some real specific songs on that album that win it out for me.

Vectrex's picture

Ordo ad Chao

But mayham sucks in general in my opinion. They made on good album, the mysteriis Dom, The other stuff is just plain boring or uninterresting to me.

Rotten's picture

Agreed

imfan1975's picture

chimera and esoteric warfare were good. ordo ad chao was kinda meh

Stathis's picture

Bought Grand Declaration of War when it was released. It sucked so much that I decided to stop bothering with mayhem from that point forward.
Mayhem died with Euronymous, end of story.

Claudandus's picture

I'll never get the whole "Mayhem ended with Dead and Euronymous" bullshit. Anyone ever given Wolf's Lair Abyss a spin lately? That EP might be among the best stuff the band ever recorded. To me it's a asinine as saying that Iron Maiden ended with Killers, they made a shift in sound and some members where switched during the years, big deal, all bands go through changes. The point is they still did some great stuff after those initial albums.

To get back on topic. I'd have to pick Chimera. The whole albums seems like a natural follow up to the aforementioned Wolf's Lair Abyss, witch is a personal favorite by the band. It's so cold, to the point and precise in it's execution, nothing on it feels unnecessary or phoned in. It all just comes together perfectly in all its vitriolic glory. And the impact of Maniac's vocals can't be overstated. Love them or hate them, you damn sure remember them by the end of the day.

I did like Ordo ad Chao when it was released but I haven't really listened to it a lot lately. Esoteric Warfare hasn't really grabbed me yet, it sounds decent I guess. But I just can't get into it for whatever reason.

Stathis's picture

If Steve Harris and Dave Murray had left after Killers would it still be Iron Maiden?
Or if Motorhead had continued after Lemmy's death would it still be the same band?

Same way in my opinion, since Euronymous died and therefore stopped contributing to the band, Mayhem just became another ordinary scandinavian band of the mid/late 90's releasing shit after shit...

Claudandus's picture

I see your point, but I still disagree. Despite that "what if's" almost always are completely irrelevant Mayhem kept themselves interesting by continuing making albums that showed a will to evolve and transcend expectations. If they wanted to they could've churned out another rehash of De Mysteriis every other year and pander the fans to no end. But the risks they took in keeping such a band going and releasing albums they most certainly knew would divide the fans. That is the sign of a band that has earned their right to exist in my opinion. People might argue that it was wrong for them to continue under the Mayhem name (Again, a pretty futile discussion since what's done is done), but taken at face value I think this incarnation of the band is doing pretty well for themselves.

Nater90's picture

Agreed, Wolf's Lair Abyss is amazing!

Blüdrayne's picture

Deathcrush.

xenokrist_97's picture

Esoteric Warfare. But if Grand Declaration of War was included in this question, that would trample all over the other three.

DoctorAMDC's picture

Esoteric

DeathInFire's picture

chimeria was cool. i actually wasnt a fan of esoteric. felt like a lot of filler tracks.

PhyllomedusaSyphilic666's picture

Ordo Ad Chao

Putridmetal's picture

Ordo Ad Chao, no doubt

576,976 items in the gallery, 883,644 comments, and 659 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments