TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Nowadays Longsleeves, no sleeveprint.

Noctes666
Wed, 30/11/2016 - 13:40

While browsing through different label stores and merch stores (phd uk and razmatazz mainly) I found a lot of official bandlongsleeves, mostly reprints of vintage shirts, I would like to get. But then I saw that most of them don't have any sleeve prints, like the original ones had. What's the point in this ? It kills the whole sense of buying a longsleeve. Also I saw that a lot of the new designs don't have any sleeveprints.
In my opinion that's really something which doesn't make sense at all. Is it that more expensive to print stuff on the sleeves ? Especially for reprints of vintage shirts, where they should still somehow have the toolings.
Whats your opinion on this ?

Chemical Burn's picture

I think most sleeve prints look stupid to be honest. I'd never buy I shirt that just had the band logo repeated 25 times down each sleeve.

I wish *less* long sleeves had sleeve prints.

Noctes666's picture

Yeah that's for sure a question of personal taste. I'm really into those sleeveprints. But yeah, it's a bit uninspired to just reapeat tha band logo for 25 times each sleeve, luckily there are also different designs of sleeveprints.

So it's actually perfect for you to buy a "nowadays longsleeve" ;-)

Vectrex's picture

They sould just print a sentence or the album title on the sleeve. Like here with my beherit hoodie http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0664/5543/products/front_93ce9710-a597-...

Would be cool if we could get longsleeves in that style.

Noctes666's picture

Exactly, that's what I think is pretty cool. Or some symbols, like the hypocrisy or dissection inverted cross.

Into Glory Ride's picture

I agree on that. Though these Oldschool sleeves with the repeated Band Logos on it also have their (ancient) charme, like old Dismember Longsleeves.

Noctes666's picture

They really do, especially Emperor or Dismember longsleeves.

nameless_rites's picture

It is a bit more expensive but not much; it's just kind of a style that isnt popular fashion anymore. Most people dont really favor the 90s look of baggy, circus tent longsleeves with more logos than a NASCAR drivers jacket.

Noctes666's picture

Unfortunately. I grew up with stuff like that and I still like it, though not everything.
I didn't know that metal became "fashion"...

nameless_rites's picture

Everything has a fashion, leather jackets and band patches are a fashion for metal, etc. I like my old 90s LSs too but I also like to have some more minimal looking designs because they go better with average clothes, the gym etc. Basically I like to have the choice.

judascrust's picture

Band shirt designs in general have really gone downhill over the years - cropped artwork, reduced colors, no back prints or like you said no sleeve prints on the longsleeves, etc. - you especially see this on reprints of older shirt designs.... but of course they still charge an arm and a leg for them because they know die hard fans will always put their money out there to support their favorite bands. sad!

Noctes666's picture

Exactly, you understand my point. The worst possible is no backprint on reprints were there actually was a backprint in the first place.
But on occasion one can find quite well made reprints.

nameless_rites's picture

It depends, a lot of old backprints were really stupid though. I'm glad I can get an old shirt without "LORDS OF PHANTASMAGORIC VAMPIRE CHAOS" printed on the back in 200 point font.

On the other hand, I really miss some of the old backprints. One perfect example is the Emperor "Priestess" shirt, the reprints ditched that INCREDIBLE backprint with the Into the Infinity of Thoughts lyrics and Dore engraving. WHY did they drop that image??? It was so fucking cool.

nexus6's picture

completely agree

nexus6's picture

yep, dont make em like they used to most of the time. the longsleeve design released for Meshuggah's latest album had a sleeve print which was cool to see: https://tshirtslayer.com/tshirt-or-longsleeve/meshuggah-violent-sleep-re...

Der Todesking's picture

I don't like sleeve prints on longsleeves. And I guess the thing with LS is that they have Long sleeves, not sleeve prints!

Noctes666's picture

That's also a good point, which made me laugh because it's just to obvious. I know that it wasn't meant to be funny. But yeah... I also own a couple of longsleeves with no or minimal sleeve print, but I prefer the other.

Der Todesking's picture

Yes it was meant to be funny, but I'm serious on this too. ;)

Vectrex's picture

The advantage of no sleeve prints is that you could use the LS as a undershirt und pull over a different band shirt. Comes good in winter. But if you wear a kreator shirt and the sleeves are full of let's say Dismember Logos it just looks odd and too much.

Noctes666's picture

Exactly, that's what I do quite often in winter. But I bought some plain black non band longsleeves for that, you can get them rediculously cheap ;-).

andermatten's picture

not necessarily. if you vary the colours I think it can look pretty cool. my black cathedral LS and say, my green warhorse shirt. or other way round, red terrorizer under black bodycount shirt. people wear dozens of bands on their battlejackets.

andermatten's picture

I was a little bit pissed off the other day, as my newly ordered LS had sleeves-, but no backprint

VoiceOfTheSoul's picture

Yeah I bought a LS with the new Wormrot album from Earache, Front print, sleeve print and NO back print?!

andermatten's picture

funny thing that yes, same here...mine is an earcache terrorizer shirt...can't quite see why someone would go through the effort to print sleeves but then just leave the back naked

am nevertheless a bit relieved I'm not alone...thought at first I'd been conned and got a shirt where they 'forgot' the back, or a failed print (like my autopsy bootleg shirt where part of the back writing got washed off and just says "..bution for the dead")

nuclearthrasher666's picture

Generally I really like sleeve prints. As long as it's not an overkill, additional artwork or text on a shirt it's always welcome. But if the sleeveprint is just the band's logo 20 times or even worse the label's logo ( I am looking at you Earache...) it's ridiculous.

Minty's picture

I've actually gotten short sleeve shirts over a LS because of no sleeve print. Like when I saw Destruction last year. Great shirt with dates on the back and everything, but nothing on the sleeves... Really disappointing.

That's why I really like the shirts from Critical Madness Productions. His long sleeves always have prints on the sleeves and I've always liked the prints he chooses.

DevilzForce's picture

They do that so you can't claim the reprint as an original ;)

Personally i hate sleeveprints... it looks tacky as fuck imho...

emperialmassacre's picture

I prefer sleeve prints but as others have said, only when done well.

Heinz's picture

I prefer front, back, and sleeves. Prefer alternatives to multiple band logos though, but it is what it is.

576,867 items in the gallery, 883,593 comments, and 657 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments