TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

New slipknot

doctordeath
Tue, 06/11/2018 - 10:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoYIBEZEfw

Really interesting! the track I think is actually fairly good, sounds tough, not a huge fan of the video tho, given these guys have been at it for 25(?) years! check it out. New album coming soon I heard

(Actually, I never thought I'de be talking about a Slipknot track, but it IS interesting that these guys are still at it, and they're still fairly heavy!)

vkok's picture

They are still alive and kicking in North America. Selling out venues easily. Maybe not so much in Europe.

Northman's picture

German shows are sold out. Got my tickets.

Vectrex's picture

No, thanks. I will never understand why young people in the late 90's prefered this kind of music to the excellent Heavy/Speed/Thrash music we've gotten in the 80s and the good Black/Death Metal from the early to mid 90's.

Slipknot is not as agressive as Death Metal, not as fast as Thrash Metal, not as evil as Black Metal and not as epic as Heavy Metal.

So what exactly is it about this band ?

vkok's picture

well must be something that appeals to so many people...they did something right for sure to make loads of money and attract people in heaps to their gig.

vkok's picture

They are metal...i mean, they are no different than any other metal band. I think their popularity is what drives people crazy. Many people get into metal to escape the masses but slipknot and such bands bring the masses to metal.

P.S i dont really like their music. Just not my cup of tea.

Nater90's picture

Nine guys being chaotic as fuck!!

They're a unique band, their early material is amazing, when you see them live its an experience you get from no other band. Maggots (fellow Slipknot fans) are your family. They give it their all and the Maggots give it back to them.

They're Nu Metal, Mix of metal and sampling / scratching. Not for everyone but that can be said about any band.

bad_american1992's picture

The video was hella lame but I enjoyed the song a lot, reminds me of their pre 2008 material.
My only complaint is their new drummer. I know it's been 3 years but he just doesn't hold a candle to Joey Jordison.

HELLHAMMERED's picture

I’ve never considered them to be a metal band. They sound like what someone who has never heard heavy metal imagines it to sound like... no interesting riffs, pointlessly large lineup, and weak theatrics (caught one of their shows cause Suicidal Tendencies was opening, “jump the fuck up” is the single lamest thing I’ve ever seen). Like Vectrex said, they’re not aggressive, fast or evil, just edgy. I don’t get it...

HELLHAMMERED's picture

Probably agree on that front these days, Doc :) lost interest in them a while back

Unjustifiablexistence's picture

I don't know what to think about the music video.. Well I know that it's pretty bad and from what you hear even most fans would agree with that statement! But then why do they make videos like that? I mean don't they feel stupid recording bullshit like that? Am I the only one who can't stand Clowns "art"? It's a shame he is the director of their videos cause even though it's just the music video it kinda made me not wanna listen to the song again haha

Nater90's picture

Really enjoyed the song, I've been into them since I was 13 or 14 and love their first three albums, The newer stuff is average, I do like the music on this, the video is Clown being Clown, if you know him you will understand.

Nater90's picture

Nice, that's the thing everyone that's not into them shrugs it off which is pretty stupid in my opinion, they are more 'Metal" than some bands that come under the same banner, no matter your taste they'll have a song you can enjoy. Plenty of worse bands out there *coughs Brokencyde* haha.

Vectrex's picture

The clear vocal parts in that song sound like the speaking passage on Grand Declaration of War by Mayhem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN0ppzXT1FU

Nater90's picture

How I love Grand Declaration of War. I have thought of doing a spoken word piece on one of my songs but the Aussie accent isn't exciting. Unless we call someone a cunt but that's me everyday.

T-skjort-Slaktarn's picture

I have not listened to this new track yet but they've always been an interesting and really disturbing band. It's a hard job to listen to Slipknot, even thought I have always liked them. They are a mish-mash of death metal, grindcore, hardcore, drum n' bass, hiphop, Godflesh, Black album-era Metallica and Roots-era Sepultura. And of course nu metal with all this "I'm so fucked up"-image and lyrics that can be really annoying. Some choruses in their songs are really cheesy.

But I like them as I said and I am impressed that they are still around. I could'nt resist to buy the first official album on Roadrunner on first press when it came in to my record store this fall. It's not a perfect album at all, but it has some really good songs and I want to have it in my collection. It's also an album that I couldn't afford to buy even on cd when it was new, because it was always import-prices on it.

T-skjort-Slaktarn's picture

Pointless music video, good song but a bit too long.

Claudandus's picture

It sounds about how I'd expect it to sound. Not bad, But it doesn't really get me psyched for a new album. It would still be amazing to see them live again. One of my first proper concerts was Slipknot on their 2005 tour(I'm desperately looking for the tour shirt with the European dates!), and it's still one of the best shows I've attended in my life.