TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

The New Morbid Angel Album-Your Thoughts Please

TheSabbathsCreed
Sun, 10/12/2017 - 09:36

So I'm going through quite the Morbid Angel addiction right now, mostly due to the recent release of Kingdoms Desdained

It's been well accepted by some. Others are saying the guitar sound is to low or not clear. I've heard things like it's unoriginal/uninspired, there's a lack of leads etc.......

So I'm keen to hear other people's opinions. I'm liking it!!! Yeah it's a pretty straight forward DM album and mabye the guitars could of been a bit louder, but it reminds me of the formulas/gateways albums and that's a good thing in my book. And really after what.....30years.....of Trey writing insanely original and amazing riffs and leads, is it that bad he/the band wrote something like this????

My other question is......was Illud just that fuckin bad that anything resembling old MA is good???

The full album YouTube link wasn't working so here's 1 track for you guys to check out. Let me know your thoughts!!!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bY20SxKXEtQ

JayGrinder's picture

I actually Really dig the new album.
And To be Fair I think Illud did have a few good songs.
Sure its an unpopular opinion, But I always somehow find myself on the outside when it comes to things like this, And thats Ok.

I didn't Listen to the majority of the classic Death metal bands Untill past what most consider their "prime "
But It was whatever album they had out that was relevant to the time period at the time for me.
People Hail Deicide's "Legion" and Self titled as their absolute undisputed epitome of the bands releases, Whereas The first time I ever heard deicide was Just after Insineratehymn was released and I believed Bible basher was the heaviest Fucking song ever released and worshipped that album.
Anyway, You can see where Im going.
I welcome any new music from Morbid Angel, Regardless who is singing, I'll give it a go.
And yes, This is Most definately a step up and Over from Illud!

TheSabbathsCreed's picture

I'll be one to admit.....if MA bought out Illud as a 4track Ep with just the death metal songs on it, I think things would of been fine. I liked the actual metal songs.....existo vulgore, blades for baal, nevermore..... all ok in my ears. Dave or Steve, they both bought something good to MA and Trey is still producing something great with this new album/line up I think. Even if it's amps me up to listen to their old stuff again, that's still good I think, but I do rate this album. I think this sounds better played through headphones and it might sound even better live.

Ohh and I really didn't get into insineratehymn, but I like that you did and shared your opinions on it. I think most people would have the same feeling towards any big name bands discog!!! Give me once upon the cross any day though \m/

JayGrinder's picture

Hahaha Completely agree man, If it Were an Ep of sorts without the weird Techno sounding songs It would have Really elevated peoples perceptions of that album.
But gotta hand it to them for stepping outside the box, Just a shame those other songs fucking sucked! Haha

Once Upon the cross is always My close 2nd Mate, No Arguments there ;)

Vectrex's picture

I don't know...It's just Death Metal. There are so many better albums of modern Bands who play old school Death style. Kaamos, Dead Congregation, Cruciamentum, Deathcult, Vorum, Stench of Decay, Blood Incantation etc.. But on the other Hand i was never a big Morbid Angel Fan to begin with. Not that i disliked them or anything...their stuff just seemed nothing special to me. Oh and the new Albumcover is ugly as fuck photoshop bullshit.

meaningless's picture

@Albumcover...even my lady said the same :P ..hahaha...a worst cover...

meaningless's picture

i only know this one song so far...and well...its ok/good...but since the last album was so much crap (beside 2-3 tracks)..it wasnt that hard to write/create a better album NOW...hahahaha..u know what i mean..., lets see how the rest of the album sounds like.

I rly like Morbid Angel, their first 2 albums are great...but Vectrex is right, there are so many good/better bands out there.. these days :)

blackdeathdker's picture

I personally dig it myself. Album cover could be better.. but its just an album cover and doesn't detract the quality of the music. Some definite classic MA moments, typical Trey signature riffing, sick drumming by Fuller, and i personally prefer Steve Tuckers vocals. Helped that i listened to this on some proper hi fi headphones but perhaps the production could be better done by Eric Rutan, drums are perhaps abit loud, Treys guitars muddy, vocals buried in the mix. While not groundbreaking of course, and their are plenty of death metal bands, ie Blood Incantation, Dead congregation, pushing boundaries and putting out some tough as fuck quality death metal.This is still Morbid Angel!

Nater90's picture

Didn't even know they had a new one out...I've not paid attention to them much since their last album....if you can call it one, Plus that album cover looks pretty cheesy when you think of what they've previously done!

I love their early stuff, Especially Domination and Covenant.

I'll have a listen after work and post my thoughts.

If you liked formulas or gateways, it might kinda grab you.

Nater90's picture

Oh fuck yeah, Keen as now!!

Forgot to listen last night....Been on a CoF binge haha.

Vectrex's picture

About that Album Cover.. It seems a lot of old Bands who bring new material totally lost their sense for aesthetic appeal. Think of Kreator, Destruction, Old man's child, Dimmu Borgir, Dark Funeral and so on. It somehow has become a Trend that all those old Bands have a cheap Photoshop made picture since the 2000s or so.

I mean how come they don't see the appeal anymore in paintings made in the 80s?

Nater90's picture

Well put mate!

I think if the bands still did it they'll do well, As much as the artwork intrigues me I don't let it judge what the albums going to be like, I've just grabbed random CDs because the bands name sounds epic or the track titles do.

Yeah that was another thing I heard people talking about, that the album cover wasn't that great. I mean it's not the best.......but it's not that bad either. I've seen worse. Honestly, the new cannibal corpse doesn't have a great album cover either.......but people are raving about the music. Truth is, how many people really buy albums/cds any more??? Dose the artwork really matter to them. I buy cds still when I really love them. I like this MA album we are talking about so I bought it.

Nater90's picture

Just picked up the latest CC on Saturday and the album cover is pretty mundane to previous albums, Though Vincent Locke is an incredible artist!

568,592 items in the gallery, 881,079 comments, and 550 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments