TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

TShirtSlayer is the world's largest community of heavy metal merchandise collectors and battlejacket builders! We have the worlds largest collection of heavy metal/death metal/doom metal/glam metal/rock/etc tshirts, patches and more. Join us and share your metal items with us, learn more about your heavy metal merchandise and find more items you never knew existed!

I am the black wizards: MULTIPLICITY, MYSTICISM and IDENTITY in BLACK METAL music and culture , a Thesis by Benjamin Hedge Olson

slayerslayerSun, 09/12/2018 - 06:23

Abstract -

Black metal represents one of the most dramatic, violent and obscure representations of
contemporary international popular culture; it is an extremist sect of an extremist sect. An
understanding of popular culture’s most extreme polarities is imperative to an understanding of
its range and general character. I will argue that black metal culture is radically different from
all other forms of metal and must be understood as a unique form of cultural expression that
signifies a dramatic break from both traditional metal and secular modernism. Although black
metal has proliferated across the world, taking up certain indigenous variations in its various
locations, it has retained three basic characteristics that make it exceptional and significant: 1.)
Black Metal is characterized by a conflict between radical individualism and group identity and
by an attempt to accept both polarities simultaneously. 2.) Black metal is centered on an
extravagantly romantic view of nature and an idealized past, both of these concepts being very
much intertwined. 3.) Black metal celebrates the irrational and primal; it is a critique of modern
rationalism and secularism.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=bgsu1206132032&disposi...

it is 132 pages so be warned . i havent read it all yet.

265,409 items in the gallery, 731,535 comments, and 165 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• ... this is the crom patch i ever wanted ...
  • Thanks ;)
  • Nice!
  • Very jealous
  • Unbelievable
  • is this still for sale?
  • Awesome collection!!! Great band!
  • THX typo ... typo ... I know because I work ADP
  • Amazing shirt! Btw. it is Ancient not Anicent.
  • thanks so much! the album is really cool even though the production isn't that good. hard to tell which ones bett
  • agreed, the album always pleases my ears. yes, i got this in a really good condition on the korean store for a good pri
  • cool mate. yes, the whole album is awesome! one of my favorite german power metal albums along with helloween ep.
  • thanks man! cheers
  • 10/10, really like the clean style of this hoodie!
  • Thanks man!
  • Yes! I like it a lot!
Why not Join us or Login