TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

How many selfies can one take during one concert?

KiWi
Tue, 10/04/2018 - 18:20

How many selfies can one take during one concert before he or she becomes a completely ridiculous poser?

Well that's the question that came to my mind during the last concert (Ensiferum with Ex Deo \m/). I stood behind a group of young people who were fumbling around with smartphones about the half of the time. And every few songs they would suddenly stick up one of these things up in the air (right in front of my face, because I'm a little taller than they were) to do another fucking selfie. And everytime the same complaint about the venue being to dark to recognise anything in the photo...
Is it just me being frigid or do you also think this is a little bit annoying? What do you think, do you need tons of dark, blurred selfies from the same evening? Or at least one (or one from each band or whatever)? Or could you just enjoy the concert without this new-fashioned mean of self-staging?

Don't want to start a hate-raid against anyone, just interested in your thougths, Cheers :)

Nater90's picture

I sometimes take a picture especially if it's someone I never thought I'd see, but half the time I don't bother.

As for others taking selfies, IE: Hipsters, I'm just like ugh and roll my eyes.

I go to most gigs alone and keep to myself, I'd rather enjoy it and blur out anyone that pisses me off because I don't want to get banned from the venue.

Albtraum's picture

It's actually a very interesting question. Do these photos represent the actual experience of a concert? Do they look at them, thinking "we had a great time there, when we took this photo, the song XY was played and it sounded great..." etc.? Or is it just something like "look at me, I'm at a concert and have a strong urge to share my life to the public for whatever reasons. In my opinion, this is a generational issue. Many people are so fixated on their Facebook/whateversite profile and want to share everything to create an impression and look for approval. Taking selfies most of the time won't represent the actual concert and distracts from the music and the show itself. It seems to me that those people (I'll throw them alltogether in a pot for the sake of the argument here) won't "really" enjoy the concert, since they cannot really focus anymore. Their image becomes more important than the actual experience, the energy, the atmosphere and the overall fun of a show. At least, this is was I feel. And also fuck those idiots, I hate it if 100 phones are in the air and block my view, especially since people often stand in the front, are pissed off when a pit starts or someone headbangs and won't move for other persons (to be honest, I think most metalheads are weak bastards so the last point was never a problem for me, since you can almost always get to the first rows if you want to and don't need to wait in line hours before the concert starts). Still annoying. Okay, morning rant is over :D

Corvus Corax's picture

ALL of the selfies. With multiple phones and cameras. Ha ha.

Come to think of it; I have seen a selfie-stick at a concert. It stunned my brain for a sec. A literal "What the fuck?" Moment.

Doomgarlic's picture

Zero. Never understood the selfie thing, neither the constant filming or photographing with smartphones during concerts. It's just annoying with the extra light from the phones. I don't understand smartphones at all...
I take a couple of photos with my camera during the first minutes of the gig, put it away, then I concentrate on the music.

oldmate's picture

for me its zero at gigs. A few photos of the band maybe.. but that it

if your in the beer garden between bands and having a laugh with your mates and selfies are you thing, then go for it. I must say I dont think I have see any selfies at shows I have been to

MelFromHell's picture

The last time I remember taking photo's at a show was 2012 when I convinced my mother to go to a gig with me to make it a memorable 18th birthday (she got properly wrecked haha top night haha). I would never usually take photo's or video's at shows otherwise, it totally kills the mood.

People say it's about capturing the moment but I think it only takes you out of the moment and there is no focus on what is actually unfolding before your eyes. I do find it quite funny (and a little bit saddening) seeing people more focused selfies/social media in the pursuit of looking cool saying they were at said event, when they wasn't really 'there' at all. I doubt afterwards any of those stood viewing the show through a lens could actually recall half of what they just saw. Personally I wouldn't have a beef with people taking selfies or using their phones if they stood to the side/at the back so as not to block other people but they are always at the front row or right up your arse tripping over the gaff to get untold pictures. I'm 5'5 and I've become used to dozens of bloody smartphones blocking my view at a show, but luckily that's only in big cities like my hometown. In Ostfriesland it's old school, every man for themselves. No phones and unlimited amounts of Jever ;)

Claudandus's picture

I don't think I've ever taken a selfie during a concert at all. I might take some snapshots with my digital camera if they play a song I don't really care about. But in general my camera/cellphone is the last thing on my mind during a gig.

vkok's picture

Only if there are other people involved, I'll take it with them. I see myself everyday...not much point of taking selfies.

Corvus Corax's picture

Normally I don't take selfies at shows. Maybe in the back, if I'm with a group of mates but, not on the floor. I find it rude to others. That's a personal thing though.

KiWi's picture

Thank you all for your comments
I understand those who take one or two snapshots of something they really enjoy, but as I stated before, this constant fumbling on phones during concerts is something I can't understand. And somebody mentioned the "carpet" of displays you can see on top of the crowd at some venues... can't stand that either.
Just wnated to add this to the topic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxRW52rCcAABfGo.jpg

Blüdrayne's picture

As with people who complain about pit ninjas, maybe you should consider instead going to gigs with a more tight knit community that generally knows how to behave themselves according to expected social norms. I and many others at gigs I go to take pictures during gigs at times, but know to do it in a manner that doesn't detract from the experiences of others.

Corvus Corax's picture

Yes, because controlling such things is so easy. Ha ha. I get your sentiment on the idea. These kids are everywhere now though, unfortunately. Luckily they only show-up in small groups (sometimes not at all) at most of the venues I frequent.

Blüdrayne's picture

They're never at gigs I go to, and such behaviour wouldn't be present either as it isn't socially accepted.
On the other hand, if it is common at other gigs wouldn't that make it the social norm? Then it would be wrong to expect or to demand people behave otherwise. It's like moshing is to be expected at a thrash metal gig, but it wouldn't be expected or tolerated at a BM gig.

MelFromHell's picture

Indeed. I'm fortunate enough to live in a area where selfies and pictures generally aren't so commonplace in any sub-genre, a far cry from London.

Thrashattck94's picture

At a show, if I get a good shot I take only a few pictures through out the show and don't let it get in the way of having a good time. Never selfied in my life because I'm not one of those guttercunts.

Corvus Corax's picture

*Sings* I'm a guttercunt, I'm a guttercunt, doin' a guttercunt dancing selfie.....

Ha ha xD

MelFromHell's picture

+1 Happily a guttercunt *bats eyelashes* maybe it's Maybeline, maybe it's not bitch hahaha.

Corvus Corax's picture

Bahahahahaha!!! Fuck yeah.

MelFromHell's picture

Naw I'm just being a twat I get ya, theres a time and a place for certain things and I'd say during a show is not one of them.

CHRISTSODOMIZER's picture

Even just one fuck selfies

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments