TShirtSlayer

how did you 1st get into metal??

fuckyeah
Fri, 03/03/2017 - 13:45

How did you 1st get into heavy metal music?? What made your head start bangin?? For myself it was my uncle playing AC/DC Back in Black record when i was 10..also couple years later an older family friend introduced me to Metallica playing me damage inc which blew my mind at the time and started me off on the more extreme side of metal ( this was 1988 so Metallica were no where near mainstream like they are now).Whats your story??

Der Todesking

A friend from school introduced me to Iron Maiden. I must have been around 10/11 or something...

fuckyeah

What a good friend

Der Todesking

Yeah, haha! Changed my life!

nuclearthrasher666

A friend of mine bought me for my 11 birthday a copy of "Brave new world".

Into Glory Ride

I was 10, when the back then boyfriend of my sister came into my room while i was listening to Scooter, threw Manowars "Triumph of Steel" onto my desk and telling me "Perhaps you should try something else. Trust me". From that day one i was infected.
So my first step into the realm of Heavy Metal was rather unusual with one 30 minute long epic song. But it fascinated me so much that i got lost in it.

Metaldemon

My Dad is a Vietnam vet and he listens to all the older hard rock heavy metal stuff from back in the day me and my sister grew up on that and motorcycles. Kinda runs in my veins. I was born in 1969 so grew up in the middle of fuckin EVERYTHING!!.

Metaldemon

The crappy problem back in the early 80s was bands like Manowar and others where virtually unknown till about the late 80s to 90s, Iron Maiden, Venom, Exodus and the big 4 where the dominators here in the U.S. at least in PNW where I live. Badass lyrics Into Glory Ride!!!

Into Glory Ride

Really? Even in the US? I would never had expected that! I thought they were always huge in America, especially because of their patriotic approach.

Metaldemon

Gotta remember brother. There was no internet and everything you heard was through the metal magazines or the newspaper. Cliff Burton's death was only known by newspaper 3 days later and the news broke about the crash. Yeah if you had a group you hung around back then and they all had particular bands they listen to then that's what we listened to we where known as the fuckin Maiden gang back then hate to say it too we where a bunch of stoners and liked to get into a lot of trouble. Stay METAL brother!!

fuckyeah

Awesome stories..introduction to metal through family or friend seems a common theme..also seems pretty common that once metalheads find metal music they stay metal and is not a passing fad. Loving hearing about peoples initiations into metal

BlueDemon

Yeah i think us metal heads are in it for the long haul. Stay metal \m/

Kilmister

My father always listened to Hard Rock and such but i did not follow him directly. (Poor relationship with him..)
I wanted to make my own way. I listened a bit of everything but I felt that something was wrong and that it was not for me. And finally, it came all alone around 13/14 years. The band who made my "head start bangin" was Motorhead :)

nameless_rites

I used to ride the bus home from school and the older kids had a boombox that would often play Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy and Alice in Chains, among other rock and rap during the trip. The bus driver didnt care. So the first heavy songs I heard were Wherever I May Roam, Enter Sandman, Symphony of Destruction, Man in the Box, Rooster, Crazy Train etc. This would be around 1993-94.

Metaldemon

!! Layne Staley was my school mate back at Lakeside High school in 83 85 him and a friend name Johnny Bacola started a High school band back then called the Sleze!! That's Awasome bud!!!! I remember some of those bus rides!!! Lol!

nameless_rites

Holy shit, small world lol... I grew up right across the lake in north Seattle, by northgate mall if you know that.

Metaldemon

Born and raised Bro! Born and raised. Ha ha ha . I lived in Kirkland and then lake city. Very small world!!!

Steve4427

The first time i came in touch with metal was when i was playing NFSMW. Ah those were the times :D Shortly after my friend introduced my into slipknot and i was hooked. I then remember walking into a HMV just to go into the metal section to write up bandnames with cool album covers which i later searched up on the internet lol

Metaldemon

Actually what's freakin awasome is to see you 20 and 30 somethings embracing our culture its a absolute fuckin honor and hope your kids remember this shit its a brother/sisterhood. Keep it real and just keep it metal all the way.

Steve4427

hell yeah man you said it

BlueDemon

+1

miggy_666

I'm pushing 40 and I remember my bro and I probably got in through Mötley Crüe's Shout at the Devil. It wasn't long before we got into Metallica and Slayer in the late 80s and by the early 90s when I was in high school, I had morphed into a full blown death metal kid listening to Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Entombed, etc. I think I wore my Deicide Legion longsleeve pretty much every day when I was 15.

The Clairvoyant

A friend of mine (who later turned out to be a total prick, but that's a WHOLE other story...!) introduced me to Metallica when I was 11. I asked my parents to buy me 'Kill Em All' for Christmas that year, which they did and I was hooked the exact second 'Whiplash' came on. \m/

Metaldemon

My first actual thrashed metal introduction was metallica but my main inspiration was Ronnie James Dio then it was 1982 number of the beast by Iron Maiden you all know who that is ? Right ? Lol!!! .............I'm being a fuckin smart ass again.

DoctorAMDC

Video games like Need For Speed

andermatten

guns n roses...I was 12 or 13

Metaldemon

Guns and Roses have an interesting history, after the Album appetite for destruction, kinda helped propel an interest back into Heavy/Thrash metal leading to different genres you have today. G and R sorta helped with defining Shitty Glam Rock from Metal so to speak.

Necro Rican

Judas Priest was the first metal band I discovered while playing Gran Turismo 3 for ps2 when i was 10 years old by listening to Turbo Lover. During my late childhood and early adolescence i was heavily into Reggaetón and Hip Hop like 50 cent, but when I was playing Need For Speed Underground 2 and Most Wanted while listening to Mudvayne's determined and Bullet for my valentine's hand of blood, I thought they were the most extreme songs I've heard until I went to Hot Topic at age 14 and Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse and The Black Dahlia Murder were blasted at high volume. At first I was very afraid of the vocals but later on appreciated their music and by playing Guitar Hero 3 at 15, I discovered Slayer, Black Sabbath and In Flames and during my high school years and first year in college i began to listen to Emperor, Maiden, Pantera, Kreator and other bands and the rest is history.

NIGHTRIDER

At 15 went to a big department store and looking through the records found the album KISS LIVE II - it made me curious and I bought it - fell in love with it at home and from there the way to MOTORHEAD and SAXON was very short...

punkmetalhead

I discovered through video games. Playing games like Tony Hawk(Disturbed, Cky, Melvins), Twisted Metal(Rob Zombie) and more particularly Guitar Hero and Rock Band at age 12. Thats when I first discovered Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Metallica and Slayer they all sounded so good I decided to hear more songs from them. My family wasn't so metal friendly but my ex-step father was a huge Metallica fan which made me love metallica even more.

My first intro to more extreme metal started with Death when I was around 15, a metal page on facebook posted a video of Death's - Killing Spree so I decided to listen to it and instantly loved it. That's where I started getting into death metal music, listening to more Death and Obituary and later on Autopsy.

My introduction to Gothic Metal was the same time I discovered Death Metal, I first heard Type O Negative's Black No. 1 on Vh1 Classic in which the song was listed in on a countdown ranking show called "America's Hard 100". Black No. 1 was #2 and Type O sounded so good that I decided to hear more songs from them and thought that this Dark and Depressing music is the greatest music I have ever heard. I would eventually start listening to full albums from them and from HIM and Lacuna Coil. Thus, forming me into a Gothic Metal Junkie and the rest is history. Gothic Metal even helped me become more open to other music other than Metal music.

fuckyeah

Soundtracks seems another pretty common theme for finding and liking metal music

Thrashattck94

Is Guitar Hero okay? lol

fuckyeah

However you got into metal is a good thing..each person has there own story as to how they got into metal..and all are good stories as they all end up lovin metal

kissman

1983 MTV

Metaldemon

M tv summer 1981.

Garwulf

~1994- older brothers listens to Painkiller... and thats it B-)

Ulven

It was late 80´:s (was 8 years old) when I saw Dio:s The last in line music video and my life was changed forever!

Ravishing Grimness

It was in the eigthies.My dad got me a cassette from the Scorpions which i still have til this day.

Cimmerian_Howl

My dad got me into it, he was a northern Italian skinhead ultra type but he always played bands like Motörhead and Venom. I can still remember picking up Overkill when I was really young and asking him to play it over and over again.

satan's radish

My eldest sister used to make collages from pictures of dead bodies and pin them up in her room next to her anime wall scrolls. She was into the usual late 90's-early 2000's teenage goth girl extreme metal stuff: Burzum, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Acid Bath/Dax Riggs in general, shitloads of symphonic BM, etc. Being her little bro, I looked up to her. So, that's how I got exposed to extreme metal. My step dad was into all the old "classic" HM, USPM and EUPM stuff you'd expect, and that's how I got exposed to that.

In the 8th grade, I stole a cassette copy of "Grindcrusher" (Combat/Earache version) from my sister's bedroom. The rest is history.

Goathammer

I was listening to hard rock and basic heavy metal from the day I was born, my dad was big into a lot of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Cream, King Crimson and a bunch of prog /psychrock because of his older brother. I believe I was 12 or 13 though when late on a Friday night a local TV station aired its weekly "alternative music countdown". Usually the list was a mixture between nu-metal and pop-punk type stuff (They did play Slayer occasionally though), but one night they played "Her Ghost In The Fog" and the whole aesthetic blew me away. Shortly after that I started buying random metal CD's in hopes of finding something like it, and it just so happens I stumbled onto Satyricon "Nemesis Divina", which I discovered was way better than that CoF song I had heard. The rest as they say is history.

BlueDemon

My uncles got me into bands like Kiss, Queen and Ac/Dc when i was in elementary school.

An Overdose Of Mkultra

My story doesn't have a distinct starting point, it's been a gradual buildup to a key event (where I went from metal fan to metalhead) that was bound to happen.
I grew up around classic rock and borderline metal (Marilyn Manson more than anything). When I was in the third grade, an obsessed classmate turned me onto Ozzy and Sabbath, and since this was around the time Black Rain came out, I had my dad get me that album... within the first two seconds of Not Going Away, I fell in love with the Ozzman.I was heavily into classic rock as well and worshipped Queen.
Around 2010 I discovered Rammstein and became obsessed with them. Once I had regular reliable internet access, I started looking for similar bands and got very into industrial metal, but it didn't occur to me that there's a whole world out there waiting for me. I knew at this point of the Big 4 and listened to a handful of songs from Metallica and Slayer, but at the time was more interested in Oomph and Die Krupps.
It was the first day of high school that pushed me over the edge into full blown metaldom. I wore a Rammstein shirt, and this kid Jeff complimented it... we started talking, he was a metalhead and gave me some bands to check out. I went home, completely ignored the list, and went on YouTube. I don't remember which of these two I heard first: Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God or Dimmu Borgir's Gateways... no matter which one it was, the rest was fucking history. I thirsted for extreme metal with the passion only a pissed off thirteen year old could have, and that love for metal never died.

Metaldemon

My Mom would love ya man. She's from Germany.

An Overdose Of Mkultra

Oh tight! I was going to go this summer for WOA but it fell through (school stuff).

kresctilon

I remember listening to Iron Maiden and disliking it, then heard Metallica and i slowly started getting into Metal. Evolved to Slayer, then Bloodbath. I have to be honest and say i hated Death Metal when i first heard it, even to this day most Death Metal albums just don't capture my attention but its definitely my favorite subgenre. Hard to explain.

Bayernpirat

at my 12th or 13th birthday I got an AC/DC tape Let There Be Rock and I still have this cassette

Influx

I was in eighth grade so bear with me, I got my stumbly little legs into the door with you know early 2000s alternative and Nightwish. Now prior to this I had a lot of exposure to old classic rock stuff but those were my dad's albums not mine and I wasn't really allowed to touch em outside the car. "Once" Was the first full metal album I listened to. "Dark Passion Play" was the first I bought with my own money. That was during my freshman year high school and they were my first concert. Shout out to the big folk metallers who were there who zeroed in on it being my first show and telling me what to check out next.

From there I immediately took a dive: Trivium, Metallica then straight to Cradle of Filth I used to use this old internet radio thing called Jango and I found so much through that site (its terrible now by the way, the site) so by the time I got back to school I was hip deep in more metal trivia than I knew what to do with.

Then I just started seeing concerts in quick succession after that: Trivium, Epica, Amon Amarth almost whenever there was a show there was an inkling I thought I would enjoy, I'd convince my dad to go see them (thus also beginning the Bob Seger shirt tradition) so it got to be every few months.

Because of my rather illogical progression I am sitting on a weird heap metal knowledge and never quite settled on one particular genre I liked.

Though honestly I could do without Nightwish nowadays

Corvus Corax

My Mum was a musician and as-such, I was exposed to a wide variety of musical genres. This included Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond and AC/DC. Later, in the 90's I got into Goth, Punk and Black Metal through some really awesome friends and their older siblings who turned me on to different underground/lesser-known bands. From there I was able to develop my own tastes, musically speaking.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous guesses

Recent Comments

Poll

Do you create your battlejacket all in one time, or over years?
There are 199,177 entries in the gallery and 661,838 comments, and 144 items have changed hands in the last month!!

TShirtSlayer is the worlds largest community of people interested in heavy metal tshirts and battlejackets, upload some of your tshirts or jackets!