TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Holes - to repair or not to repair?

nosws4me
Wed, 01/07/2020 - 15:47

I apologize if this thread has been done already, but still.
I recently fed into my Metal Church obsession and got this shirt I've been wanting for a pretty decent price (and in my size!): https://www.ebay.com/itm/353124746803
The only catch is that there are holes in it (pics are in the auction), and the big question is, should I repair them or leave them be? If I should repair them, what method should I use? What do you guys do? Thanks to all who reply
Edited to show pics of the holes

nosws4me's picture

Updated with pics of the holes. No need to show the actual shirt (I'll prob post it when I get it)
The shirt in question is this: https://tshirtslayer.com/tshirt-or-longsleeve/metal-church-fake-healer-o...

MorticiA's picture

Oh my... Well, I'm afraid I can't help in regards to whether or not you should repair them, I can only advise if you're going to repair them. I guess the questions that remain are: Do you plan to wear it? -or- Do you plan to keep it as a collectable? If you're going to wear it then I'd definitely repair it, if you're going to keep it locked up as a collectable then maybe just let it be and hope that technology improves as time goes on.

Repairs: You have several options here, either DIY or professionally, professionally obviously will cost money but will have the best results.
You can buy these little iron-on cloth circles that are very thin, but I would also sew up the hole with very thin but strong thread to help stabilize the "wounds." Try to make sure that the patch is inside the shirt. As for the stitching, using a sewing machine will work best both in appearnce and time effciency, and it's best to test all this out on a shirt you don't care about; hell, even deliberately damaging a shirt will help with the final result. At what speed to sew?, I'm not sure. As forhand stitching you have the advantage of having more control but less precision or tension. So, it's a mixed bag.

As for that massive tear... That sucker is a big problem... I would consider cannibalizing a shirt that MATCHES that faded color which is going to be challenging, I recommend going to thrift stores for that or asking friends, or even scouring the streets for some lowly shirt (nasty I know... I can't really recommend this...) If you DO find the right color, make sure the knit is the smae type of pattern and size and try to CAREFULLY plot out the correct dimensions of the patch your making and make sure the knit iretion goes in the correct direction BEFORE you cut it. Using a combination of the iron-on hole-patches will help with this, and it would be ideal to use a sewing machine to forify this. Ultimately, understand this: there is little to no possible way to restore it to it's former glory, not without INCREDIBLE patience, meticulousness, cunning, and skill, and I doubt there are many places that specialize in this and if there is then you can bet it'll cost big bucks; and even then it will always be scarred. Hitting up sewing forums would be an ideal place to ask for advice/help as those folks will give far better advice and may be willing to fix it for a cost.

I have a Metallica Sad But True shirt that got torn when I was trying to wrestle the cat to get the flea meds, I got into an odd position under the table and had Mom pull me out with the Cat and a raised nail head snagged and tore my shirt. I was bummed. Mom tried her best to repair it (she was a Master seamstress too) but could only do so much, and in the end we decided to reienforce the hole which resulted in a much wider and thicker stitching.

To conclude: baby is gonna have some scars, baby ain't going back the way she used to be unless you get someone with the skills of a brain surgeon, the tenure of an old College professor, and you havea wallet that has pocket dimension capabilities for capacity.

Morale of the stories, be wary wearing collectible shirts especially if they cost mega bucks, it's usually best to wear recent made stuff for casual wear even if it's a bootleg; 'not saying my shirt was worth anything back then (it wasn't,) and I understand you bought the shirt, but you get the gist. Imagine wearing a $400-500 Bolt Thrower shirt from the 80's and having a massive tear occur on your watch, the regret is MASSIVE... I don't know what this shirt is worth now, but you'll have to figure out what you plan to do with it: wear it, or treat it as a collectable.

slayerslayer's picture

part of its history , i say. likely a giant belt buckle caused it . a period vintage belt buckle on your vintage shirt. timeless!