TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Guitar picks on battle jackets?

mahrim
Tue, 20/06/2017 - 23:52

I was wanting an opinion from people here on what I should do with some guitar picks. I recently caught two guitar picks at shows, one from Terry Butler when I saw Obituary and one from Mike Sifringer when I saw Destruction. I've seen people who have sewn guitar picks to their vests, usually by heating up a needle a poking holes in them and then sewing them on. My question is, do you think its worth it to do that or should I just keep the picks the way they are? I don't plan on using them of course so I don't see any other use for them but I just wanted to see what people here thought about it.

flashblack313's picture

That would be awesome and unusual =)

Nevs's picture

I drill three holes in mine with a very small drill bit, and then sew them onto my vest. I use nylon furniture thread to make sure they won't fall off.
I have been putting them into the collar so far, but I plan to put some on the shoulders as well once the collar is full. (Pictures shown on my 2017 vest post)

mahrim's picture

Thank you for your input man. You have one hell of a vest and I love what you did with the picks. The drill bit thing is a great idea, unfortunately I don't have access to a drill or the money to buy one at the moment but I can see where that would be a better idea, I'm sure the holes are much cleaner. I use nylon upholstery string for almost all the work I do on my vest and I've recently been popping holes in circle pins and sewing them onto my jacket to secure them, that's where I got the idea for the picks.

An Overdose Of Mkultra's picture

I think it's a cool look, I do it to my picks. I use a heated needle through... ten seconds in an open flame should be enough.

mahrim's picture

I think that your vest was one of the ones I had seen that gave me the idea. It is a work of art.

An Overdose Of Mkultra's picture

Thank you kindly!

MasterDeath's picture

I have over 100 picks, personally given to me or caught in the air or been hitted with. I have them as a nice memory from the great times I spent listening to the good stuff. I would never puncture any of the picks I have. But it depends from one person to another, do with them what thou wilt. It's not a bad idea to have them on your jacket but I think that you'll regret that one day, especially if you start losing them.

mahrim's picture

Hey man, thanks for the comment. Currently I have them up on the wall where I keep my ticket stubs and stickers from past shows. That is where I plan to keep them unless I decide to put them on my jacket. I'm afraid of losing them just because of how small they are and I think everyone knows how picks can magically disappear. That's why I thought putting them on a vest would help me keep track of them. But then again, you never know what can get torn off in the pit.

Nevs's picture

I agree. You have to weigh the options when it comes to adding them to your vest or not. I wouldn't recommend it if you spend any time in the pit, which I don't. I used to have my picks up on the wall, but I decided to add them to my vest's collar because I wanted to be able to bring them with me to concerts. I only wear my vest to concerts or other related events/places, and it is a great conversation starter. I have been lucky enough to get around ten bands to sign my vest, and almost everyone of them started up a conversation with me based on the picks on the collar. Does drilling holes in the picks ruin them? I suppose in a way it does, because it takes away a lot of the value of them. However, for me in a way it adds value because of the great conversations they have started. Besides, a lot more people get to see them this way compared to when they were in a frame on my wall. Plus I have them sewed on their extremely well with nylon furniture thread, so they ain't going anywhere. I guess you just have to ask yourself what purpose you want the picks to serve, and if you care if they are in less-than-mint condition. Don't act in haste though, make sure you really think it through and know what you are doing, because it would really suck to screw up and destroy or lose a pick. That is the risk you face with sewing them on.

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments