TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Social - Meetups / Gigs etc

Graspop 2018

Jen Gruesome
Sat, 24/03/2018 - 09:39

Hey TSS.

Starting to give more serious thought to upcoming trip of mine. Didn't really plan to head to any MASSIVE festivals like Graspop, but couldn't pass up the chance to go.

Anyone heading to Graspop this year? I'm traveling alone and I'm looking for some people to hang out with at the festival - maybe pitch up a tent with nearby? I'm sure I'll meet lots of great people while there, but would be nice to start chatting and getting to know some people beforehand. Let me know, send me a message. \m/

Also - as a first time big metal festival punter - any crucial tips? i.e. is 'Rent a tent' scheme a good buy in for something closer to camping entrance? Fucking expensive as. Or should I just buy my own gear and set up when I get there? Looks like I missed the boat to book in at Metal Town, that would have been great.

Date: 
Thursday, June 21, 2018
Belgium
Who is going?
Kilmister
Jen Gruesome
Master_Of_Puppers

Are you attending?

Braunman's picture

Guess there's always the classic advice to drink plenty of water, wear lots of sun screen and wear shoes you can stand in for 12 hour stretches. Also to have a great time!

Jen Gruesome's picture

Best advice, for sure! :D
Slip, slop, slap - with Suffer In Rot bucket hat.

Braunman's picture

Hahahaha! Maybe you should ask the band if they have any left!

KiWi's picture

Somebody told me that you have to carry your stuff from the car parking to the actual camp ground quite a bit and that it is not adviseable to bring too much stuff. Since you are travelling a long way I would assume you're not bringing that much luggage anyways :D

I believe I don't have to explain sunprotection to Aussies. Having enough water to drink at the camp works out very good if it's hot. I prefer to bring to much food rather than bringing not enough, always eat a lot during major festivals. Enough clothing for change and something that protects you when the weather-shit hits the fan. The last girl from Australie I met (Wacken 2014 or sth.) told me she had lost her passport, smartphone and her "fucking weed", so don't bring too much valuables that could get lost / stolen / broken...

Can't speak for the Graspop, but all festivals I have been to fill their camp grounds step by step, when you're there early you can be relatively close to the stage, but it may happen that you are the last one in the car queue when everybody leaves. Arriving late can lead to long walks to the stage. In general it is difficult to plan, you need luck.
I personally never accepted the idea to pay (a shitload of) money for a set up tent, but I have been a convinced camper all my life. If you buy your own tent don't try the cheapest (better get drunk with the money and sleep outside, same effect). Usually the poles brake (in the first or second night) and the fabric is anything but waterproof.
Bring your ticket, fun and "Panzer"-tape and you shall have a great ime ;)

By the way I find your idea to travel throug Europe and attend festivals absolutely great, wish you a great time! I'm struggling myself to find company for festivals this year, maybe I should get a Graspop ticket :D

Jen Gruesome's picture

This is great advice, thanks man!

I've got a Combi XL ticket so I can arrive and set up camp on the Thursday I think - so I hope to get there early to secure a good spot. I don't (i.e. can't) drive, so I don't have to worry about car queues, so if I plan well with public transport I can get there pretty early hopefully.

Graspop website does advertise for company that sells tents/pillows/etc that you pick up when you get there - might not be great quality, but I definitely can't be lugging a semi-descent camping set up through all festivals. So might consider that option? Probably not the best of comfort, but low expense and convenience is appealing to me. Famous last words, haha.

I'll be having everything I need for the entire trip with me - no place to stash it prior to festival happenings. So that concerns me a little. I'll be travelling very light but would be really lame if anything were to happen to my shit just as the holiday is getting started. I'm sure it's all pretty groovy, and I saw they have lockers there for a few little things for safekeeping.

Haha... I had to Google panza tape. We call it gaffer tape. Yes, saw a thing about that as an essential, thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the well wishes. If you end up heading to Graspop, send me through a message! Thanks again! \m/

longe666's picture

Will be going on friday. havent been to graspop for about 10 years now. Been there the first 10 times but its getn to busy now i think. Going for Maiden en Neurosis

Jen Gruesome's picture

First 10 years! Fantastic. I can't imagine seeing a band like Iron Maiden with such a massive crowd - will be quite something - and yes, very busy!

Kilmister's picture

I'm going :) Also got a Combi XL ticket :D

Jen Gruesome's picture

Awesome! Can't wait - not too far away. Have you been before? If you're grooving out and want to share a beer and check out a band or two - let me know. I'm always keen to meet and greet new people. \m/

A friend of a friend secured a spot at Metal Town for me - was so sad to miss out on a booking, but meeting up with a group of people in Brussels, and then we'll be heading up and arriving on Thursday. So grateful for my friend to help set me up with that.

ReignInFuckingBlood's picture

I'm going!
I wanted to ask about something, I've been to festivals before such as "Into The Grave" and "Stonehenge" but they aren't as big as Graspop so my question is, if I wanted to guarantee a spot in the first row should I come like 1-2 days before the first day of the festival or should I just come in the exact same day? I honestly don't want to miss being very close to such amazing bands especially that I'm coming all the way from the middle east and I don't get to attend festivals/gigs alot.

Jen Gruesome's picture

I for one wish to obtain front area for Ayreon, smaller band than Maiden/Megadeth, of course, but as long as one in mindful of that of the day to plan around - should be okay?

But I also have not been to such massive fests. Running times for bands has just been released for Graspop. Septicflesh, Watain, Vader, and Ayreon all play in Marquee all on the ONE DAY (Friday). Have accepted fact I'll be giving up Maiden for that even with a little opportunity to groove over and see, but I've seen them twice before and I know that I'll just keen as hell to groove along prior/after Ayreon nerds and so shouldn't be too much of an issue for getting a good spot.

No idea how to get set up for, say, Megadeth. This is partly why I wanted to avoid massive festivals just due to endurance/toilet breaks/etc. Good luck. \m/ My knowledge of this massive metal fests are obviously extremely limited.

Hit me up for a chat some time, ever keen to meet fellow Graspop TSS punters. \m/

Master_Of_Puppers's picture

I'm going too! Only for Saturday and Sunday (23rd June & 24th June) mainly to see Exodus and Kreator, but Graspop has been one of my favorite festivals to go to. I always end up discovering new bands that I love and it's a great time! The only real rule I can think of is don't be a dick and don't hardcore dance. Hit me up if you wanna meet up at the festival or something!

Jen Gruesome's picture

Hey man, haha yes good advice all 'round.

For sure. Will be sending out a few messages closer to the start of the fest, likewise send me one any time - keen for many bands, chats, and beers. :) \m/

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments