TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Giving up cigs

VoodooChild
Mon, 09/03/2015 - 00:48

I know this isn't metalrelated but I need help and figured there would be at least some ex-smokers here. I really need to quit smoking, have been smoking for more than 8 years now (since my twelfth) and the last 3 years I'm at more than 2 packs a day. I calculated that in the last 8 year it has cost me over €20.000,- and now I really need to quit asap. So anyone got some good advice, experiences they can share?
Sorry for the nonmetal topic but I need some help and there have been other nonmetal topics :)

meaningless's picture

exactly... :)

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx for the advice man. Gonna finish what I have left now and then go cold turkey. Got one of my friends who sees me on a daily basis to share some horrible secrets of me to everyone I know when he sees me smoking or hears from someone else I smoked. That ought to help to stop smoking with people around. Now stopping in the alone time heheh.
Wrote this with a dunhill balancing on my lips :(

vikingdantheman's picture

think of all the cenotaph backpatch you could buy. ;)>>>

VoodooChild's picture

Hahahah, and not only that, think of how I could have used 20k to make a living O___O. Shit is more destructive for your walket than for your health :S

I know, im a smoker, and i live in the most expensive country in the known solar system of tobacco prices.
25 AUD$ a day brother (30 cigarettes). Thats if im not drinking!

VoodooChild's picture

Damn how much is it a pack? I thought we were expensive with €7,- (about €8,5 us$??)
Ofcourse I don't know the australian currency.
And hell yeah drinking drives the urge for nicotine to a max.. Didn't have alcohol for 1,5 year now though :S

currency converter just told me "19.29 US$"
Australia is out of control with the taxation on tobacco. i know its shit for health.
but.........

KamikazeKris's picture

As stupid as it may sound. You just don't do it. However, you really have to want to quit. Otherwise it won't work

In ieder geval succes kerel

VoodooChild's picture

Dankje man.
And I really want, and I'm on the right path atm. 7 hours clean.

Greaserjlg's picture

If you find yourself completely unable to quit, try vaping. It's not quitting, just kinda cheating, but a hell of a lot better than the cigs.

VoodooChild's picture

Besides the 2 packs a day I also vape nonstop in the places where I can't smoke inside. Doesn't work for me but thnx for advice.

bad_american1992's picture

Nicotine addict reporting in... yeah dude it sucks. Buy really gross cigarettes like menthols or some shit brand so every time you spark one you feel nasty and are reminded of your plan to quit.
Start running too. Its not easy to be a jogger and a smoker so you get to make the choice.

VoodooChild's picture

Tried that, what happened is that after a week I got used to the gross cigs hahah

meaningless's picture

our Doc said true words and nailed it.., its just a matter of ur mind.
If u dont want smoke anymore...stop..thats it. I quit smoking for 1 year (many years ago) ..
one day i thought: Damn..i should stop.. And i stoped..from one day to another..., for 1 year.
Then i started again..since i dont care the cigarettes..i like to smoke, I dont smoke a lot..but still smoking, since more then 20 years now..
..btw... I dont drink any alcohol ;P

VoodooChild's picture

Yeah somewhere in my mind I don't want to, I like almost everhthing about it.. Damn I even collect the damn things, cigs around the world.
Though I agree with all of you it's almost all about the mind somewhere it is my body too, when I'm not smokint I get thisnstrange feel or hunger in my lungs. Thnx for advice :)

meaningless's picture

i also stoped with alcohol..from one day to another.. :) ..so..its possible, u just must skip this routine-thing, u are associating with cigarettes..like: one cigarette after dinner, one cigarette to the good-morning-coffee...stuff like this..haha..when u can handle this for some weeks - no prob in the future..imo :)

stenchcore massive's picture

I agree with Docs statement and can confirm that what stereodeth mentioned about being in a good environment with supportive people can really help. i resisted smoking from the age of like 9 until when i was 17 i had bought some tobacco for spliffs and couldnt get any smoke for weeks, i started smoking rollys in the mean time and then continued for 3 months.

one day i said to myself, this is fucking stupid WTF and stopped right then. I didnt smoke another cigarette again, but kept saying to myself "gee i could sure use a spliff" - so i started smoking way more weed than i used to until i realised i wasnt wanting to smoke weed, i was simply still addicted to tobacco, then i cut down and eventually stopped that for a year or two. I have since relapsed in and out of smoking tobacco (in spliffs) for various reasons. (typed with a half smoked J balanced between my lips)

So yeah, if you wanna quit just fucking do it. I wish you strength ;)

stenchcore massive's picture

Maybe every time you feel the need to go get some smokes, instead give the money you would spend on smokes to the first bum you see haha.

VoodooChild's picture

Then we would get some really rich bums in my town hahah, oh well it would go to a good cause

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx man, that sounds like one of my friends, he stopped smoking tabacco and continued smoking pot, but suddenly smoked 10 times more pot than usual and rolled them with almost only tabacco. So he simply just kept smoking..

Blüdrayne's picture

That's me and drinking. I don't smoke anymore, but I have cut down. At my worst when I was horribly depressed it was a bottle of tequila an evening. That is not satanic strength, however you define it. Honestly, after quitting dependence I've managed to rediscover a new perspective on satanism. We don't see life the same way, but you might too.

nwobhmbanger's picture

The best state of mind is to not do it in the first place!

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx for all the advice everyone, I'm at 9 smoke- and vapeless hours atm. Thnx for all the advice and support :))

Blüdrayne's picture

Stay strong man. See if you can go a week, then a month.

slayerslayer's picture

FULL support from here \m/ \m/ .
just gotta stay tough , if youre doing it cold turkey. drinking water will help, and if you need to keep occupied , spend 10Euro's on a big bag of mints (fishermans friend), chew them as a substitute, until you are sick to death of them.
it can be tough . i know . ive stopped my tobacco habit of 20 years , only a few months ago , and believe me it can be tough. compulsion to have one grips me occasionally , months down the track. JUST GOTTA STAY TOUGH.

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx for the advice man. Respect for stopping after 20 years man!!

Plague's picture

Keep a coffee can with some ashes and butts in it. Whenever u feel like smoking, pop the lid and take a sniff... That will turn ur stomach and help create an aversion to tobacco.

VoodooChild's picture

Good advice brother! Aversion will help in my quitting hahah, now I associate it with too much possitive things

Nater90's picture

You can do it bro!!! Think of all the positive stuff! Better health, more money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

Can always try these things, My Dad used them for a bit, Now he's gone onto menthols, He's trying to quit too.

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx for advice man. Yeah I got one of those. Doesnt work for me. Just makes me smoke more.

Nater90's picture

Ah bugger!

My Dad heard of these oil filled ones apparently one blew up in a guys face and gave him third degree burns! So stay far away from them!!!

Blüdrayne's picture

Congrats on making a decision to quit smoking. I did so some years ago myself, and it definitely wasn't easy.
I quit smoking by exercising fanatically. I went to the gym all the time, and even at home when I felt like smoking I started doing push ups instead.
I would say one very important thing is to not drink too much or too often.
Because if you're in a bar with friends, you get a little tipsy and you start to think "one won't hurt".
You can't do that. It's an all or nothing thing.

VoodooChild's picture

Exercising helps alot indeed. Thnx alot man, and respect for quiting

Bayernpirat's picture

and put your money you would spend for smoking in a glass and enjoy it after one month how much it is and make pardee from the cash

Blüdrayne's picture

In australia that would be close to $800-$900! That's a lot of beer!

VoodooChild's picture

Yeah good idea man, I bet I would be surprised of the amount of extra money I have piled up at the end of the month hahah. Thnx man

Nater90's picture

Wow....That's fucking cool, I need to win lotto and get my ass there...

Nater90's picture

Maths and I have never gotten along, I despise it...

Nater90's picture

It could've done a great deal for me I agree, I focused on Science mainly, I was going to go University and become a Forensic Scientist or Mortician.... I ended up dropping out because I had to move home for a while (Tasmania) due to family stuff.

Nater90's picture

Exactly...Oh well, I'm happy with life as I live it so all hope is not lost.

Blüdrayne's picture

Oh, so you're a Tassie? Live there too now?

Nater90's picture

I'm from Tasmania, I lived there for a good majority of my life, I live in Melbourne now. Long story short, I lived in Tasmania for 15 years, Moved to Melbourne for 2 and a bit years, Moved back to Tasmania for 18 or so months, Moved back to Melbourne, Have been living back in Melbourne for almost 6 years now.

Nater90's picture

True, Thanks Chief! *leaves cold beer in the fridge for advice*

Blüdrayne's picture

You forgot to leave 1 extra beer for Dr D!

Nater90's picture

The beer is for Dr D! I'll buy a few slabs, Beer for everybody! Parteh at Dr D's!!!! :D

kissman's picture

I've been seventh months smoke free after twenty years of smoking, all you really have to do is convince yourself and then do it... best of luck brother!

Blüdrayne's picture

About 2 1/2 years quitting after 7 years. Not as much as you, but stay strong!

VoodooChild's picture

Being able to quit after 20 years.. I've got huge respect and am encourged now man really. Thnx for sharing!

Morbid_Welshman's picture

I'd recommend Vaping (Did the trick for me) but don't bother with the ones that look like Cigs (They're crap) and if you can, buy one of the refillable ones with a decent battery. You can mix the liquids to make a flavour you like, and they're made in different nicotine strengths too. Most start off with the highest (Usually 36mg) and then slowly switch to the lower ones.

VoodooChild's picture

I have been vaping for a year now but I use it to get my nicotine in places where I cant smoke. But indeed first gonna stop with tabacco, then with vaping and then alltogether. Thnx for advice man

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx for all the support everyone, didn't expect to get so many advice, tips and storys.
At 2 nicotine free days now. And alot thanks to TSS ahahahah. Eternal thnx to you all \m/

SHREDDER S47's picture

Nice! keep at it, brother

slayerslayer's picture

2 days! fucking ace!
DoctorDeath inspired me also , after -how many years of harping /my continued stupidity.
keep it up ,NO SMOKING - NIET ROKEN - JUST GOTTA STAY TOUGH

VoodooChild's picture

hahah ik zal niet roken, I won't smoke :P thnx man.

nameless_rites's picture

This is seriously non scientific and probably bad advice, but a lot of people say a couple hits of marijuana can help take the edge off acute withdrawal anxieties... just no spliffs, do a small bowl or bong rip. Dunno personally because I don't smoke cigs. I can see the logic though; it will space you out and it's not physically addictive like tobacco. The smoke will still irritate your lungs but if you've got good weed it won't be sprayed with all the chemicals that commercial cigs are, and thats what really gives you the cancer.

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx for the advice man and I can see it work indeed but I have quit smoking pot for 2 years now and that's gonna stay that way, and though it may not be physically addictive it is mentally believe me. Been there.

Oldschool's picture

I've been smoking cigs regularly for some years now, but I developped a sense to stop myself from getting addicted. After a night at the bar smoking a pack I made sure to smoke nothing for the following three days and it has worked so far. Not many share this mind control over their habits because they're so tempting. However, I've seen many people get into smoking and I guess at some point it becomes part of you and completely takes you over, don't give it that chance anymore, you're strong enough to win this fight!

ZAKRAT's picture

Goed bezig maatje!! Nog steeds nix gerookt?
Probeer zelf ook te stoppen op t moment, was nu al n week ofzo aleen aan t vapen (wil ik ook mee stoppen maar alles op zn tijd) maar ben de oplader ervan opeens kwijt, dus vandaag tog weet n pakkie sjag gehaald, gelukkig kun je ze hier in de UK halen van 10gram dus nie teveel, maar baal er tog van.
In ieder geval goed bezig en hou je taai maat :)

VoodooChild's picture

1 of 2 uit verveling op school, en ik vape idd ook nog. Maar idd stoppen gaat met me mind zeker goed. Thnx voor advies en jij ook succes man!

JedCannon's picture

Vaping! I didn't used to agree with electric ciggerettes until I bought one. I went onto the totally wicked website and bought a curve. Started vaping and fell in love! Haven't had a ciggerette in 3 months and I really don't want one. Yes vaping is costing me money but only a fraction. I'm not slowly killing myself and I don't smell any more!

Nater90's picture

Well done!!!!

VoodooChild's picture

Yeap I vape too, it helps but I plan to go without nicotine at all as soon as possible. Thnx for advice man

RavenEffect's picture

I've smoke for 7 years. for a while I was really adicted and couldn't stop but One day I just said "It's enough!" and I just quit smoking that day. It's not easy, I've had many relapses and I've bought a pack in the middle of some crazy nights after a few drinks. It really may sound really cheesy but it's as easy as that, just quit! Vaping is another option though.

VoodooChild's picture

Thnx for the advice man

Fozzy616's picture

If you want to quit smoking but be too weak to get done...
Just read the Book from Allen Carr.
He smoked up to 100 cigs a day. tried to quit 30 years long.
But than he found out how to quit. the ultimate way to quit.

and he wrote it down and gives seminars.

Just Google him ALLEN CARR.

PatchThePlanet's picture

Hails man,

My recommendation is to get a nicotine patch. This will help wean you off more easily as tobacco withdrawals have a very definite physical withdrawal. Stopping smoking cold turkey is probably the best thing to do, I've known people for whom just trying another cigarette once kicks off the addiction again, but the patches will help. My other advice is to try a change of scenery, if you have the option of going camping for a bit away from a local mart or gas station that will help as well. The point of this is that we build addictions by falling into routines, ex. having a smoke every time you come home from work/school. The change in scenery gives us a moment away from these social cues and helps us "reboot", although its important to always be mindful when we are in the places where we are more likely to relapse. Finally, if you have the ability to access it, twisting up some greens will surely help too to take your mind off of the withdrawals. I know people who have overcome cocaine addictions by using greens as a crutch for a bit. Weaning off of your greens will be much easier than tobacco.

Best of luck.

metalmaciejmetal's picture

Bottom line is you just need to commit. You need to decide that its finally time for you to quit. Its all mental. No one can tell you when to quit. Only you can. No amount of fear of cancer will make you quit. Its all you, You are the only one that can convince you to quit. Aides like patches and vaping is nothing but a crutch. You don't need it. You just need to take it day by day. You will feel like shit, you will act like shit. Maybe for a couple of weeks. After that it will be easier day by day. Maybe it would be good to have a goal that you are looking to achieve. The reason I quit was I got a new car at the time, I didn't want my light coloured interior to get all gross. I smoked for maybe 5 or 6 years. I smoked a pack a day.

Think of it this way, the deeper you are into the quitting cycle, the more of a waste it would be to start smoking again. All the time and effort you spent in trying to quit, you could have been smoking at the time. So pick a side, you either smoke or you don't.

Metalmate's picture

I am not sure if you own a smartphone but there is an app called "Kwit" it shows you the progress in life expectation, money and health benefits along the way. It's 2 or 4 dollars. So I say definitely worth it. I have not smoked again since 2014 :)

Nater90's picture

Congrats mate!! :)

Nater90's picture

My Dad has almost quit, He went several months, Had a couple of relapses here and there!

But he's been smoking since he was 18, Turning 57 this year so I imagine it would be hard.

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments