TShirtSlayer

German users, Looking for some guidance!

necrodonkey
Sun, 05/02/2017 - 18:38

Hi everyone!
I'm going to be travelling around Germany in late May to mid June. Looking for suggestions of places with cool local metal scenes, shops, shows or whatever would be worth it for a Canadian girl to check out!
Cheers!

DoctorDeath

you must come to prague! really great metal pubs here and lots of shows!

where in germany? its a huge country!

necrodonkey

I'll be flying into Frankfurt and ending there to stay with friends a few days. Definitely planning on checking out Berlin for a day or two. Looking to see as much as I can given my time frame! Prague is definitely on my list too!

DoctorDeath

berlin is a must! plenty of good metal pubs, venues and shops there too

DuckyBoy

Ruhr area (Essen / Oberhausen etc.) is also always worth a visiting. Hamburg as well...

necrodonkey

Thanks a bunch!

DoctorDeath
necrodonkey

Ah wonderful, thanks Doc!

StereoDeth

Oi! I haven't seen your profile around here for years!...or maybe you were just lurking.
You're really hitting Germany at a bad time of the year imo...well, it seems the South is rather white right now (?).
The North is grey and wet all the time, so not really something worth enjoying up here, just my two cents.

But to contribute something useful, check out Bamberg.
Just drank a smokey beer from Bamberg yesterday, but I couldn't stand the taste.
Many people seem to dig it though and beside that, it's an old city with a lot of tradition.

Cheers!

necrodonkey

Ayyyoooo I'm back haha. Unfortunately I won't be able to take holidays over the summer, plus it's cheaper for me to go in May/June, or else I'd definitely be going when things start heating up so to speak. Next summer I plan to return for sure! Thanks for the suggestion!

Lizard

Haha, you should like beers like Guinness and the taste of Bacon otherwise Rauchbier (smokey beer) won't be your Cup of tea. And where the fuck did you get Bamberger beer in the North? o_ô

StereoDeth

https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/32633514/mapbeer.jpg
It seems there quite some shops around here, who sell that kind of beer.

But I haven't heard of smokey beer before. On Saturday, I wanted to try a bunch of unknown German beers and bumped into a smokey beer. When I was back at home, I smelled it (...), took a sip, went to the sink and was all like...
https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/32633596/nope.jpg

MasterDeath

Last year my friend was in Germany and he brought few beers for me, as a gift. One of these was Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. I was really happy about it, I gave it a few tries, 5-6 sips and that's all. Then I checked the date on it and saw that it expired, for almost 2 months already... It's not strange, we supposed to meet after he got home from Germany but we met almost 5 months later. I did exactly the same thing like you did on that link.
Will give it a proper try when I visit Germany this year. The one I tried tasted like a filthy ashtray...

Lizard

Yeah, that's exactly the smokey beer/Rauchbier, in the beginning it's somehow like the unholy child of a beer and an ashtray. XD Just give it some time and get just to the taste. Last time I had one it was written on the bootle that normally you need to drink some beers before you start to enjoy it. If you can't imagine to like it at all, just stay away from it, Bamberg is in Franken/Bavaria so there are beers to get wasted. :3 (Jesus fucking Christ, I shouldn't post before the 1st cup of coffee, too many typos.)

MasterDeath

Hahah, hopefully I'll find it this year since I'll be in around Schlotheim because of Party San. Will give a chance to several bottles, no problem there! The only problem would be to find them in that region though. But I will probably drive through Bamberg, so I could stop for a beer and bratwurst!
Last year I really enjoyed the beers in Schlotheim, so tasty and so cheap! I bought a crate of Turmbläser, a carton of Edel Kellers and 6x1L of FAXE cans (10% alc.) for home use. Those beers are delicious!

StereoDeth

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
http://shopfinder.schlenkerla.de/Shopfinder/http/shopfinder-schlenkerla-...

You can search for shops in Germany, who offer that certain beer (outside of Germany as well).
That way you're not forced to visit Bamberg. ;)

PS: Ashtray pretty much fits. :P

StereoDeth

UPDATE: Gave it another try and carefully checked the expiring date first. The first (big) sip wasn't that bad. I wasn't even shaking. It sure was interesting how the taste changed and what the final taste was like...even captured it on video to describe each step of taste. :P So maybe, just maybe the first one was indeed expired, But that beer will never become a beloved favorite. I sure like the dizzyness of it though. Feels smooth.

John Christ

Good tip! I'm in love with Bamberg! There is an active rock/metal scene as well, but much is going on non official style like in rehearsal room concerts. And of course the city is famous for it's smoke beer, but it would be unfair to reduce it to just that. Most of the locals i know don't drink smoke beer that much to be honest. They have plenty of awesome breweries. My favourites are Mahr's Bräu with their "Hell" and "U" (Kellerbier) and Sonnenbräu Urtyp Hell from Bischberg (a small town near Bamberg). If you like Pils there is the Keesman Herrenpils.

necrodonkey

LOL.
As odd as a smokey beer sounds it would be something I'd be willing to try, especially considering how cheap the beer is in Germany compared to Canada. That's definitely one thing I won't need to worry about on this trip hahaha

Distanz666

Well, it's the time for black metal concerts, though
Mantar, Fäulnis etc. Will hit Stuttgart soon

Der Todesking

Berlin is a must if you come to Germany! Haven't been there for a long time, but it's always worth it! You should also consider visiting Vienna / Austria. Beautiful ancient city!

necrodonkey

Thanks so much! I definitely plan on going to Berlin and would love to plan a little trip down to Austria as well.

Der Todesking

You're welcome! Hope you'll have a cool trip! Maybe we'll see some pics on the Actionshots then...? ;)

dubtribe

If you want to visit a good festival, you should check out RockHard Festival 2017
https://www.rockhard.de/festival.html
While you're in Frankfurt, you can check out the Batschkapp Club - good place for gigs & party.
In Wiesbaden the Schlachthof and in Aschaffenburg the Colos Saal ( both cities are close to Frankfurt ).
In Mainz there's a nice Rock Club called Alexander The Great - they always make some Rock/Metal parties.
Berlin is full of awesome Clubs, and also the Ruhrgebiet ( what DuckyBoy mentioned ) - especially the Turock in Essen.
Cheers :)

necrodonkey

Omg, no way! Aschaffenburg is going to be my home base as that's where my friends live, that's amazing they have something there. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions :)

Noir.666

Yeah...rock hard festival rules.
Any of you want to spend some time for a meetup there?

necrodonkey

Holy shit, is this thing for real? Having a hard time translating and figuring out where and when. Help please? :] hahah

dubtribe

Hi ... sorry for the late reply :/
So, here are some infos about the RockHard Festival
First of all a link to a website in english: https://www.rockhard.de/festival/infos/international-infos.html
And now my poor infos ;)
It takes place in Gelsenkirchen from the 2nd to the 4th of June. The location is a amphitheatre.
Bands confirmed so far are:
Opeth
Behemoth
Blues Pills
Fates Warning
D-A-D
Exodus
Candlemass
Ross the Boss (Classic Manowar Set!)
Asphyx
The Dead Daisies
Scyclad
Secrets Of THe Moon
Mantar Ketzer
Blood Ceremony
ROBERT PEHRSSON´S HUMBUCKER
Night Demon
Dust Bolt

More will be announced soon.
Tickets are available here: https://shop.rockhard.de/rock-hard/rock-hard-festival.html
There's a 3 days ticket incl. camping for 108€ and a 3 days ticket without camping for 86€

AND here's a female user ( https://tshirtslayer.com/user/melfromhell ) who will attend. She's from London and lives currently in Germany. I think you could get in contact with her to get more infos in better english :)
Apart from that there's a event group for the RockHard Festival: https://tshirtslayer.com/forum/topic/rock-hard-festival-2017wer-kommt-mi...

I you got any other question just drop me a line and I will try to help you.
Cheers :)

Hate-Blood-Murder

IN FLAMMEN Open Air 2017 - Germany´s hellish Gartenparty
06.-08.07.Torgau / Entenfang

confirmed:

MARDUK (SWE)
MEMORIAM (UK) - Members of Ex BOLT THROWER / BENEDICTION
KRISIUN (BRA)
NIFELHEIM (SWE)
VALLENFYRE (UK)
FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE (ITA)
BATUSHKA (PL)
ABSU (US)
HOLY MOSES (D)
SINISTER (NL)
SUICIDAL ANGELS (GRC)
MOURNING BELOVETH (IRL)
GHOUL (USA)
GRAVEYARD (ES)
ALFAHANNE (SWE) - erste Show in D!
ARMADA (MEX)
PROFANITY (D)
BLOOD (D)
BEHEADED (MLT)
ATARAXIE (FRA)
MACBETH (D)
INSANITY ALERT (AUT)
KRATER (D)
SERRABULHO (PRT)
5 STABBED 4 CORPSES (D)
ULTHA (D)
THE GREAT COLD (D)
and many more...in Planung!

3 Tage / 39 Bands / 666 % Metal & No Commerce

Tickets im VVK aktuell 45Euro inkl. Versand / Gebühren / Campen direkt am Auto
www.in-flammen.com

Distanz666

Check out Hamburg, St. Pauli, everything there is pretty metal, maybe check Club Zentral in Stuttgart, very small club but awesome concerts there

-Eikthyrnir-

If you come around End of april you might want to check out ragnarök festival in Lichtenfels.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous guesses

Recent Comments

Top Collectors

Poll

Do you listen to bands that are older than you?
There are 177,267 entries in the gallery and 622,450 comments, and 200 items have changed hands in the last month!!

TShirtSlayer is the worlds largest community of people interested in heavy metal tshirts and battlejackets, upload some of your tshirts or jackets!