TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Ex-Cops feat. Amalie Bruun

archive
Fri, 24/03/2017 - 09:25

A non metal band featuring Amalie Bruun (known for her vocals in the Norwegian Black Metal band Myrkur) namely Ex-Cops.This just to show the difference between the bands.Where pop and Black Metal meet.What is your opinion about it.

PatchThePlanet's picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DvuHQ45a-U

This one made my fucking head spin the first time I saw it a while back... Please make sure your ad block is on before clicking, no reason for them to make money off your views.

Although I don't know if simply the fact that she is doing something non-BM related is enough to write her off though (The lead singer of Sortilegia, for example, often gets a pass in circles despite modeling for random magazines - https://i.imgur.com/HCSgMgo.png, https://i.imgur.com/G4yHJlI.png), I think in regards to Amalie, its more a factor (for me) of the music being an Ulver rip off and the commercialization of the music that's more irksome.

Claudandus's picture

Eh, sounds like your average edgy indie/pop act. Not good by any stretch, but not really offensively bad either. It's just another forgettable band.

As far as the "Ulver rip off" argument is concerned, I call bullshit. People seemingly can't get enough of wannabes like Midnight, Antichrist, Wifebeater etc. So I don't see why this particular "rip off" is getting under peoples skin so much. It's probably more in combination with her other endeavors than a point by itself, but I still think it's kind of moot.

pan_in_ithyphallic_mirth's picture

Spot ON!!

Frankly I do enjoy "M" quite a bit. It made no attempt to bring black metal to hipster culture like deafheaven does. Its more like an indie artist who appreciates BM aesthetic not just simply for the music. Its a good release, chaotic and a little messy and not blisteringly metal, but good. Just makes me think of Hagalaz Runedance.

And I think the reason Midnight succeeds in the culture is because they have washed out anything in their character that isnt BM posturing and they just act like out of control boozing rockstars on stage. Thats what a lot of people want apparently.

Claudandus's picture

Hmm, I've never really thought about that. But yeah. If Nebelhexe decided to make another Hagalaz' Runedance album it probably could've sounded something like "M". I listen to both of them too sporadically to really make a fair comparison.

I never really got the appeal of Midnight at all to be honest. To me it seems like they are so obsessed with emulating the aesthetics and attitude of their idols to the point of lacking any kind of identity of their own. They come of as a coverband sans the covers.

Piss's picture

Myrkur is about as relevant to black metal as Metal Hammer is to HM journalism. What the fuck was that crap?

Nater90's picture

Ain't my cup of tea, She can do whatever the fuck she wants, I'm still not going to like her.

Goathammer's picture

She's a gimmick man, nothing she's released is worth the vinyl/plastic used to press it. Her backup band is made up of death/groove and metalcore musicians, she's done backing vocals for certain hip-hop artists and she's in this gem of a band you've got me to listen to for the first time. And as far as Anastasia from Sortilegia goes, I wouldn't put too much thought into the fashion thing, she has female sensibilities and she's very attractive, might as well exploit that advantage. I mean BM bands have a tendency to "model" for band photos etc, if she can make a buck off of it who cares.

One could also argue that Sortilegia have followed the traditional path in terms of this genre, they're signed to an underground label, play underground fests and have a cult following. Myrkur has been signed to Relapse since day one and has mainstream appeal in both image and sound. Also I've never seen a Sortilegia album in a physical record store, but I have seen Myrkur.

PatchThePlanet's picture

Yeah that makes sense to me, thanks for that. Sortilegia is fucking cult, but sometimes it's difficult for me to explain WHY it's different than Myrkur... Your comments make a lot of sense and express what I've had in a more amorphous form in my head. Thanks

Vombatus's picture

I don't see compatibility issues between playing BM and then doing more pop/modeling/tv or whatever thing you want. Quite sure it is more common than we think.

Problem with Ms. Bruun is that everything she does sounds plastic and with zero interest. Her relative notoriety is only due to having some shit magazines promote her for whatever reason and having known musicians play for her band (since she is hardly talented in that department). I wonder what she did to get that much attention when everything was done before her (both 1-women BM bands or her pseudo arty metal thing).

Claudandus's picture

I can imagine that a former fashion model with pop singer background gone black metal pretty much sells itself. It can't take much effort to stir up some controversy with that premise. Easiest thing to market ever pretty much.

I can agree on everything she does seems forced and unnatural. While I do think her album is better than most people give it credit for. It's still nothing remarkable and I suspect nobody will be talking about this "band" in a couple of years. The thing that put me of most was seeing her live. Her whole persona on stage seemed so needlessly exaggerated and theatrical. The whole thing just came off like another one of her modelling gigs, it felt rehearsed and fake to be honest.

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments