TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Barış Manço - Need help from Turkey

quixotic
Sun, 24/05/2020 - 23:15

Hey,

at the moment I'm just completely stunned. A friend of mine send me a video - ment as a joke, because YouTube recommended it to him - from Barış Manço, some weird pop song from the 80s, but then I started to search who this singer is, and found that he recorded a really great psychedelic rock Album in the 70s called "2023".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRLJiH_jGmE&list=PLD6FE5ED2E86764A1&inde...

Okay: Is there any other turkish musicians from this era, has Barış Manço played in different bands and what is the Album "2023" about, I'm not really trusting the google translater on this?

Cheers

menstrvalmoon's picture

His first Band was Les Mistigris in the 60ies.

There has been an awesome psychedelic/prog scene in Turkey in that time.
Of course all of them go for enormous prices,
and nowadays impossible to find as original vinyls, therefore highly sought after by collectors.

A bit similar to greek stuff like Aphrodite's Child (the first Band of Demis Roussos and Vangelis),
also worth to check out, especially their masterpiece "666".

quixotic's picture

Thank you, I checked the prices on discogs but was happy to see that lot of those records got re-released over the last years.

Aphrodites Child is great, stumbled upon very early because my parents had a lot of Vangelis records.

Hammerheart's picture

Cool. Um Längen niveauvoller als der folklorisierende Türk-Pop, den man in Deutschland meist hört. In der Türkei ist handgemachter Rock ja traditionell viel beliebter als bei Türkischstämmigen hierzulande.

shewolf's picture

This era was golden for Turkish Psych-rock. I recommend Erkin Koray, Cem Karaca, Fikret Kızılok, Feridün Düzağaç, Moğollar, Mavi Işıklar, Kramp, Beyaz Kelebekler, Bunalımlar, Grup Bunalım, Akbaba İkilisi in that order. You can dm me if you want more info and i can translate the songs for u. Glad u like Barış Manço :)) He is one of the most important people in our Music history

quixotic's picture

Thank you! I'll check all this stuff out.

deathpunk's picture

2023 is a kind of concept album, the song itself is talkin about 100th year of Turkish Republic. A bit cheesy yeah I know. All his stuffs up to 80es are great from psych pop to more progressive rock funk. Guerssen Records from Spain did some great reisues of his albums an some others from this 70es Turkish rock scene.

quixotic's picture

Thank you! I wondered about the year 2023, but this makes sense now to me.

Is the album a critical reflection of the republic?

deathpunk's picture

No it is mostly kind of epic story. Some kind of celebration and hope for the future. Of course it was written somewhere in end of 70'es and I can't share his optimism today, but this is a different story ;) Also the other songs deal with some folk stories, legends etc.
You should check also Yeni Bir Gün Lp , excelent stuff.

Speed or Bleed's picture

Can recommend the compilation: love, peace and poetry turkish psychedelic music. Also thx to the turkish users which recommended cool artists!

Speed or Bleed's picture

Altin gün makes similar music but is a newer band

deathpunk's picture

Not bad but too much new school and polished, well produced. I prefer the original ones from 70es ;)

Speed or Bleed's picture

And there is another compilation of the same label with asian psych rock where apear some turkish bands like moggolar which named here before, also this song, please play on 11 ^^

3 Hürel - gönül sabreyle sabreyle

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments