TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Tutorials / How To / Where To

Where to buy a denim jacket & average patch pricing?

ProtoChaud
Tue, 09/09/2014 - 08:10

Hi. I'm fairly new to TSS.
Now that that's out of the way, where (in the southern US) do you recommend buying a denim jacket to make into a battlejacket?
I want to make my first, but I have no idea where to look.
In addition, how much, on average, do different types of patches cost?
Obviously rare or vintage will be more expensive than current ones, but could I get an average?
I assume it goes Woven > Embroidered > Printed.
Sorry I'm a total newbie to this, but I've only started really gotten into buying merch in the last year or so.

Hypercube's picture

Denim jacket should be easy to find. I bet some of your relatives/friends have an old one laying around somewhere. If not, go to a second hand store. I've bought a few jackets for as cheap as 1€.

BeefCakeAssThrash's picture

Don't really order much from America, but when I do, it's always a big batch of patches from Abyss Records http://www.officialabyssrecords.com/metal-music-small-back-patches.html
Their prices are fair and the quality is good, but the biggest reason I order from there is that they sometimes have patches from bands you normally don't find patches from..
Goodluck with the vest, man!

Tico Tyrant's picture

you know what I've noticed, the pates from Abyss are pretty great, but sometimes I think they don't heat seal their print quality correctly, as their shirts/hoods tend to fade really fast!
~Just a random side note, when I read your comment I remember this thing haha, Abyss is pretty great though

BeefCakeAssThrash's picture

Never bought a shirt from Abyss.. come to think of it, I never even bothered checking what shirts they have!! I only ever ordered patches from there. the embroidered ones are amazing.. they don't just look good, they are also durable, but also the printed patches are great. I never had to spray them with coating and they still look the same as when i bought them, which would be a little more than 3 years ago now.. Also I really love those embroidered backpatches they have.. Having a tough time choosing one for my Deathmetal vest haha..

bad_american1992's picture

Wait for a sale at Levi's, they have 30% off a few times a year. Or just shoplift, they have a no chase policy.

HERBROCKS's picture

Jackets are easy to find in the US but you might need to wait til fall for the best selection. You can usually find them year round in cowboy or boot shops. When picking, consider the seam placement on the back, to many seams can make your large backpatch lumpy. Average price for new licensed retail patches is 4-6$

HERBROCKS's picture

Also if you like in a hot state, consider a cutoff or vest that you can wear year round. In the winter, pair with a longsleeve sweatshirt or thermal

ProtoChaud's picture

Yeah, I live in SC, so I'm gonna cut off the sleeves. I like the ragged look more than the whole finished vest thing.

Tico Tyrant's picture

I think depending on the quality of a woven patch, it's actually sometimes cheaper than Emboirdered
either way, do anything you can to avoid printed..sometimes they look neat, but they generally don't fare well in weather and over time, will leave you feeling let down: When I first started collecting patches and working on a few projects, I had a tendency to just buy whatever I thought looked awesome, I'm a lot more calcuated about it now.

I'm not sure what the prices would be stateside, but at least locally, it's somehwat hefty

for example: 20$ for 4 decent patches :/
but individually it can rage from 4$-8$

Giant shaped backpatches usually rest around 12$-15
Woven album art backpatches aren't much different

ProtoChaud's picture

Gotcha, thanks. I've heard a lot of shit about printed patches fading really quickly.

frankie530's picture

Go woven/embroidered as much as possible. Average prices for common patches are as stated above $4-8, vintage and rare ones are much more usually, especially backpatches. Levis is a great brand for denim my jacket is a levis i reccomend it

571,176 items in the gallery, 881,612 comments, and 555 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments