TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

What's your favorite Metal scene?

Joel
Wed, 26/03/2014 - 19:12

Specifically, what's your favorite regional scene, past or present? NWOBHM, Norwegian Black Metal, German or Bay Area Thrash Metal, old school Swedish or Finnish DM, German Power Metal, Floridian or New York DM, etc.? It'd be nice if you mentioned some obscure, underrated/overlooked scene.

J.j. Ratte's picture

It depends on what kind of mood I am.

Joel's picture

Well, what kind of mood are you in right now? What do you feel like listening to?

J.j. Ratte's picture

Like all the old school scenes man ;)

Joel's picture

Can't choose a favorite scene? That's alright, it's all good.

Panthorder's picture

Old school thrash metal and 80´s thrash metal.

Joel's picture

Just general Thrash Metal from that style's golden days? That's awesome. Please tell me you like Bonded by Blood.

Judas Priestess's picture

Either Finnish or Swedish death metal, can't choose.

Joel's picture

They're both really good. I think they rival each other quality-wise.

Yeah plus they're the only scenes where I highly enjoy both the new and old school.

Joel's picture

Bands like Slugathor and Winterwolf? Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I'll have to check out Entrails. They were active from 1990 through '98 and then they reformed back in '08.

I haven't heard of either of those bands but bands like Bastard Priest, Bloodbath, Entrails, Cacodaemon, Stench Of Decay are good.

Joel's picture

I'll have to investigate Bastard Priest, Cacodaemon, and Stench of Decay. I'm already familiar with Bloodbath.

Let me know what you think!

Joel's picture

Bastard Priest's Under the Hammer of Destruction is very good. It's Death Metal with attitude and it's got these Hardcore Punk leanings I like. Stench of Decay's Where Death and Decay Reign is really good, very competent. I can't seem to find any audio file of any Cacodaemon song online. Oh well. Do you like Belial's Wisdom of Darkness? It's a cult classic of Finnish Black Metal and Death Metal. Here's a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvEMfxlOW5c

Belial sounds pretty good, thanks for sharing! Here's Cacodaemon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ehw2StLFE

Joel's picture

Pretty solid. Thanks.

Joel's picture

Bastard Priest kinda sounds like old Grave by the way.

madbutcher's picture

German Thrash, florida death, Greek black

Joel's picture

Every one of those scenes has produced great Metal. I love albums like Hellish Crossfire, Screams of Anguish, Infernal Overkill & Thy mighty Contract. I'm gonna have to get back into early Varathron.

powermetaller's picture

Sparkling unicorn-riding care-bear power metal!

Joel's picture

Hahaha! Just what I expected from a German with the online alias "powermetaller"!

powermetaller's picture

Haha, yeah! Although I don't like power metal being reduced to that specific interpretation of "metal" (I really like a lot of that though, since bands like Startovarius were my introduction to metal) - there's so much more to it. The US power metal movement kicks major ass and the European scene - when it was still under the term "melodic speed metal" - delivered great acts such as Heavens Gate, Scanner or Avenger (before they became Rage and siginficantly worse)...

Joel's picture

Albums like Ample Destruction, Battle Cry, Chastain's first few, Hexx's Under the Spell, Dark Age's s/t EP, Griffin's Flight of the Griffin, & the overwhelming majority of Savatage's '80s material outside of Fight for the Rock are all really good. I've always also liked a fair amount of Running Wild too, both from their Pirate era and pre-pirate era, especially Branded and Exiled.

nightslasher26's picture

Lately ive been into Nocturnal,Voidhanger and Nocturnal breed so I guess blackened thrash...

Joel's picture

I love Black/Thrash Metal/Blackened Thrash Metal so I'm gonna have to check out those three bands. I've been listening to a lot of old Absu (when Shaftiel and Equitant were still in the band) recently so I'm in the mood for more of that kind of Metal.

InfernalOverkill's picture

- nwobhm
- (black) thrash/speed from Germany
- 80's and current Heavy / Thrash from Belgium

Joel's picture

Nice. I love albums like Angel Witch's s/t and Saxon's Strong Arm of the Law. Expurse of Sodomy and Persecution Mania are classics too. Acid is also pretty good. You like 'em?

InfernalOverkill's picture

I LOVE Acid :D Ostrogoth, Killer, Crossfire, .. are awesome as well, and from the current bands are Evil Invaders really worth a listen! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZZZCWPwGak

Joel's picture

Evil Invaders are fucking awesome! Excellent recommendation! Ecstasy and Danger and Wall of Sound are pretty good too. Thanks dude!

gizter's picture

Oakland sludge & crust

Joel's picture

I'm an SF peninsula Bay Area native (born and raised, still live here.), so I'll have to google that local scene and explore it.

gizter's picture

damn you. you live there and you dont know bands like
Skaven, Dystopia, Noothgrush, Dimlaia, Brainoil, Graves At Sea and stormcrow.
Apeface from San Jose.
and i can't forget CA powerviolence bands
Man Is The Bastard, Gasp, Despise You,
there was also great stuff from Arizona wich worked/played together with the Califorina bands like
Sea Of Deprivation, Carol Ann, Misanthropic and Vomitus.

there where lots of great bands playing around that area in the late 90's
(ofcourse, it's not everyones taste.)

Joel's picture

I know, shame on me. Shit, I'll have to listen to all those bands. Thanks.

Joel's picture

Noothgrush, Brainoil, and Stormcrow are all good. Thanks for the recommendations.

gizter's picture

if all goes good. i am finaly going to see noothgrush in 2 weeks. missed them 2 years ago. and its my favorite still active band.

Joel's picture

Hope it goes well man.

LifeOfDeath's picture

Hmm.. probably Finnish/Norwegian/Quebec/Ukranian/Russian BM scenes. I really can't choose just one.

Joel's picture

I know what kind of Metal you love the most, so that answer makes sense. All those scenes you mentioned have redeeming musical qualities, especially Norwegian Black Metal.

Satan's Finest's picture

I'd have to say NWOBHM I think. Or 70s prog/psychedelic rock if that can count as a scene.

Joel's picture

NWOBHM? That's always a good answer.

Satan's Finest's picture

Mhm :) I get sad a lot about the fact that I didn't grow up in the 60s, 70s or 80s. Who knew it was possible to miss a decade you weren't alive in haha.

Joel's picture

I feel the same way sometimes. Take a look at what I've uploaded in my profile so you can get a good idea of what kind of Metal I love listening to the most.

Satan's Finest's picture

Looks good! Love that Evil patch. I'm looking for one at the minute.

Joel's picture

I love Evil's Message. It's a great EP. I couldn't find any patches online so I just had one custom-made by Dmitrij at Any embroidered Patch on Ebay. Check out http://www.patch-shop.com/.

Satan's Finest's picture

It's brilliant! I've got a few patches done by him. He's really good.

Joel's picture

Yeah, he is.

eosvensen's picture

Norwegian Black Metal :)

Joel's picture

That's cool. I've been listening to a lot of Nightside and Dark Medieval Times recently. Great albums.

kissman's picture

NWoBHM and Thrash Metal

Joel's picture

Awesome.

nuclearthrasher666's picture

New Zealand death metal scene is the leading force of the modern underground

Joel's picture

What bands do you recommend?

nuclearthrasher666's picture

You can check Diocletian "War of all againts all" , Witchrist "The Grand tormentor", Heresiarch latest EP "Wælwulf". And of course Ulcerate "Destroyers of all" and "Everything is fire" . All of them are AMAZING bands !

Joel's picture

I'll check 'em all out dude.

Executer's picture

80s Thrash, mostly from the USA, Germany, UK, Canada , Belgium & Netherlands, but also interested in all kinds of Thrash

Joel's picture

Do you enjoy albums like Onslaught's The Force and Emerging from the Netherworlds by Thanatos (the latter is from 1990 and it's Death/Thrash Metal, but they've been around for 30 years so I'm including it in that category)?

Executer's picture

ok, I have to say Thrash from 83-93. Emerging from the Netherworlds is a really great album. Onslaught, Pariah, Virus, Xentrix, SABBAT (!!!) etc. are great UK bands, but I'm still looking for cool bands (also new ones, I have around 1000 Thrash CDs (Thrash, Death/ Thrash, Black/ Thrash...)). My focus is on the era from 83 - 93, except Black/ Thrash - doesn't matter the year. At the moment missing albums from Re-Animator and Annihilated.
I would say that this is my best answer: http://tshirtslayer.com/battle-jacket/battle-coat-thrash-till-death

Joel's picture

Holy shit dude! That is one of the most magnificent things I have ever seen in Metal. It's like...some kind of War...TRENCH COAT!

Joel's picture

Old guard Swedish DM is always a safe bet. I love albums like Left Hand Path and The nocturnal Silence.

DeathRipper's picture

Anything that's loud. All men play on ten!

Joel's picture

Long live the loud!

TheWitchburner's picture

Love German Speed/Thrash : Destruction, Angeldust, Minotaur, Sodom, Poison, Protector etc.
Also the already mentioned N.W.O.B.H.M. is great.

Joel's picture

All of that is good Metal.

meaningless's picture

fave? the old sweden death metal scene!..thats the best of all..then comes the rest :)

Joel's picture

And for me, the best of the best is Left Hand Path.

whiteravenmetal's picture

I'll go with NWOBHM, followed by Teutonic Thrash and followed by colombian scene in the 80s

Joel's picture

Nice. What are some good 80s Colombian bands?

if you are into Heavy then you must check Kraken, Carbure and Nash. If you are into the really fuchink heavy stuff then Parabellum, Blasfemia, Masacre, Reencarnación and Agressor

Joel's picture

I'm already familiar with Parabellum. Blasfemia is a little TOO raw and crusty for me, sorry. Masacre's Requiem is good. I don't like Reencarnación at all and I'm listening to Aggressor's Recrucified from a split they did with Sabbat about six months ago. It's really good. Carbure is alright. They're fun. My favorite by far is Kraken. I just finished listening to a song called "Todo hombre es una historia" from their 1987 self-titled. It's excellent. I will definitely explore more of that band's music. Thanks for the recommendations.

yeah, Kraken first 2 albums are essential. Also check Danger, good Speed Metal.

Btw this could be a cool poll

Joel's picture

True.

Nater90's picture

Folk Metal Scene! It's a really fun atmosphere, great people, great stuff to drink to, and just have a great night out! Also the Norwegian Black Metal scene has some great bands but only ever seen one band Mayhem live, But as a genre for a "scene" its great.

Joel's picture

Folk Metal is good for what it is, hospitable, fun and friendly. I really like Waylander's Honour amongst Chaos. I prefer Falkenbach's ...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri... for serious Folk Metal that has a little more artistry and depth.

Nater90's picture

Yeah for sure, You banged the nail on the head :)

Joel's picture

I wouldn't mind attending a get-together like Pagan Fest one of these days.

Nater90's picture

Hell yeah would be pretty epic, We don't have nothing like that in AUS that I'm aware of need to get my ass overseas

Joel's picture

It would be cool.

AntichistVomits's picture

Finish Black Metal!

Joel's picture

I like Archgoat's Angelcunt myself.

bad_american1992's picture

Tasmanian progressive power thrash

Joel's picture

Uh huh...alright then.

Nater90's picture

Ummm what? I'm originally from Tasmania care to elaborate on that for me?

bad_american1992's picture

So then you must know all about it.

Nater90's picture

Nope that's why I asked you to elaborate sounds interesting

quixotic's picture

Prog/Sludge from Georgia, US (Savannah/Atlanta)

maidenfan620's picture

I'd say Bay Area Thrash, back in the day! Mainly because my dad was there and was a thrasher when he was in the Marine Corps. back in the eighties. I always wished I could go back to experience what he did.

Joel's picture

You're a fellow Californian so I guess we both identify with that legendary scene, even though you're from SoCal. It's cool that your dad's a Metal Marine by the way.

maidenfan620's picture

Yeah, for sure! He would tell me stories about all the guys in the barracks playing different music and everyone would be listening to "metal" from L.A. but he was the only one with the new thrash records. Apparently when "Ride the Lightning" came out he was playing it with is door closed and when he was leaving there was a line of guys listening through the door because they had never heard anything like that before! Probably my favorite story of his!

Joel's picture

Yeah, that is a cool story. Thanks for sharing.

PForx's picture

East African brutal progressive trancecore deathcrust.

PForx's picture

On a more serious note: I like American thrash metal, European speed metal/NWOBHM, Scandinavian hardcore, crust, d-beat and black metal.

Joel's picture

You're Norwegian. You've gotta love Black Metal from your home country. I love US Thrash Metal, European Speed Metal, and the NWOBHM too.

PForx's picture

Oh, also, the current Norwegian underground/semi-underground thrash/death/black scene (Aura Noir, Nekromantheon, Obliteration, Reptilian, etc.)

Joel's picture

Black Thrash attack is really good. I haven't listened to it in a long time. Maybe it's time again.

PForx's picture

It's ALWAYS time.

Joel's picture

You're onto something. I'm seeing eye to eye with you.

Joel's picture

Whaaaat!!!???

BeefCakeAssThrash's picture

Dutch Death Metal, German (Blackened) Thrash/Speed, Finnish Black Metal, American Grind... as long as it's raw, fast and loud!

Joel's picture

I'm listening to Nocturnal's Arrival of the Carnivore right now and I like it. Very old school in spirit. Classic Dutch DM is great. Consuming impulse, Sinister's first three, etc.

BeefCakeAssThrash's picture

Among my favorite German blackthrash bands are Nocturnal, Witchburner, Desaster, Sodom (their early shit), Erazor and Ketzer.
Also, if you like the Classic Dutch Death, try Dead Head, Thanatos, Adetar, Gorefest, Altar and Pentacle. Bet you'll like it :)

Joel's picture

Altar's Youth against Christ is good, so is Pentacle's Rides the Moonstorm. I can hear Celtic Frost's influence in the latter. I already know and like Thanatos and Gorefest's Mindloss. Goddamn...so much Metal to check out.

oldmate's picture

i like metal

Joel's picture

Simple and effective answer. I like it.

Tuber's picture

Swedish Death Metal! Jätte stycke fint, jag gillar mucha. Bättre än Finska.

Joel's picture

Nordic Death Metal is among the best in the world.

PolishMetalHeadBanger's picture

NWOBHM !!! I also like many ther scenes (for example Bay area or german power metal scene from the 80's) but it's my favourite. Also modern heavy metal scene is awesome (RAM, Steelwing etc.)

Joel's picture

You love modern classic style Heavy Metal/Power Metal and you're Polish so you probably know who Crystal Viper are. I love Crimen Excepta. It's a great album. The NWOBHM was a great time for Metal.

PolishMetalHeadBanger's picture

Ah, of course know Crystal Viper, great band (thou I don't listen to them a lot). They recorded a great song in memory of JD Kimball called "The last Axeman"- great tribute.

Joel's picture

I've heard OF that tribute, but I haven't listened to it. JD Kimball was a great Heavy Metal/Power Metal singer. It was a shame when he died back in 2003, and I hadn't even heard of Omen back then. I'll have to look into that.

powermetaller's picture

Don't do it, I was highly disappointed when I saw them this year. Kenny was awfully drunk and messed up quite a lot. And their new singer (hell, he wasn't even introduced!) also fucked up most songs. And the new song "Hammer Damage", which is supposed to be kind of a tribute to JD Kimball, is an insult to his heritage, probably the worst Omen song ever. Nah, Crystal Viper did a way better tribute!

Joel's picture

That doesn't sound good at all. I'll check out Crystal Viper's tribute. That band has class.

EvilPriest's picture

Bay Area Thrash Metal forever !

Joel's picture

I'm an SF peninsula native, so naturally I love that response.

EvilPriest's picture

Lucky dude :)

Joel's picture

Hell yeah.

Kathulex's picture

Slavic pagan scene definitely. There are countless fantastic folk/pagan metal bands from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland, etc. that just wait to be discovered.

Joel's picture

Do you like a Russian band called Alkonost? I listened to some of their songs a few years ago and I liked what I heard.

Kathulex's picture

Alkonost is great. I reccomend you to check bands Grai, Sventoyar and SatanaKozel. Wonderful folk.

Joel's picture

Sventoyar is alright. I just finished listening to Grai's Song of Mother Earth and Satanakozel's The Sun of the Dead on YouTube. Good songs, I like 'em.

invisible-horizons's picture

German Thrash/Heavy/Speed/Power Metal, Bay Area Thrash Metal, USPM, Canadian Thrash/Speed/Power/Heavy Metal, Florida Death Metal, NWOBHM, Quebec Death Metal, Swedish Death Metal, Finnish Death Metal, French Death Metal/Heavy Metal

Joel's picture

Shit, I'm a fan of pretty much everything you mentioned in that post.

I'm also from the Bay Area (San Jose to be exact). Its good to see people from the Bay on here.

I'm bored at work, so here's my list of German bands that I've listened to.

German Thrash/Heavy/Speed/Power Metal (Sodom, Kreator, Deathrow, Mekong Delta, Violent Force, Darkness, Holy Moses, Assassin, Assorted Heap, Destruction, Tankard, Grinder, Rumble Militia, S.D.I., Death In Action, Necronomicon, Secrecy, Accuser/Breaker, Rampage, Helloween, Warrant, Sieges Even, Rage/Avenger, Running Wild, Stranger, Chroming Rose, Reactor, Thunderbolt, C.O.E., Grave Digger, Mad Max, Angel Dust, Warlock, Accept, Tyrant, Sinner, Gamma Ray, Paragon, Iron Savior, Six Point Six, Snake, Sphinx, Stainless Steel, Streetfighter, Gravestone/48 Crash, Tyran' Pace, Thundercraaft, Tox, Crows, Dawn Hawk, Brainstorm, Vicious Circle, Victory, Viva, Wallop, Saints' Anger, Renegade, Talon, Lions Breed/Scanner, STS 8 Mission, Stormwitch, Stormwind, Steeltower/Heaven's Gate, Underdog, Atlain, Steeler, Blind Guardian/Lucifer's Heritage, Attack, Axe Victims, Bad Steve, Beast, Trance, Black Tears, Bloody Mary, Brainfever, Cacumen, Carrie, Chainsaw, Charon, Expect No Mercy, Cutty Sark, Crack Jaw, Midnight Darkness, No Trouble, Not Fragile, Overkill (Stuggart), Railway, Paradox, Rated X, X-Wild, Restless, Rosey Vista, Dark Avenger, Darxon, Devil's Soldiers, Fact, Faithful Breath/Risk, Hammerschmitt, Hardware, Hazzard, High Tension, Hunter, Airwolf, Vampyr, Mephisto, Life, Mad Axeman, Mad Butcher, Bloody Climax, Maggie's Madness/Wild Cat, Xxaron, Overdose, Mass, Mania, Metal Sword, Ghandi, etc.......Germany has so much to offer!!!

Joel's picture

I just cut and pasted that entire body of bands you name-dropped in that comment into an empty Microsoft Word page and saved that file after deleting a ton of those bands and I've STILL got a mountain of bands to explore. Thanks.

Your welcome bud! I've been just sticking to German Heavy/Speed/Power Metal for the last year. I'm still in the year 1986 now. The scene in Germany exploded around 1984. Check out the forum "heavy metal rarities" if you are looking for this stuff. There's a ton of good stuff on that site.

Joel's picture

Yeah, I know. I bookmarked that site as one of my favorites a long time ago. Two more online bookmarked favorites of mine? These two sites:

http://strappadometalblog.blogspot.com/#axzz2xO4QKnFJ
http://bm-80smetal.blogspot.com/

These three sites carry OCEANS of old-school Thrash/Speed/Heavy/Power/Doom Metal. I mean, the list of bands just goes on and on forever! Unreal...

MoreGoreLessCore's picture

NWOBHM, Death and Crossover.

Joel's picture

I love the NWOBHM and a lot of Death Metal (especially old-school DM), so we're in the same camp.

Speed or Bleed's picture

Thrash Metal, NWoBHM, Old School Death Metal, Doom, Prog and US Metal

Joel's picture

All great choices.

Stiopa's picture

US Metal, definitely my number 1. Also Canada has some gems. Then would be England, Italy and Germany. Not that I dislike the rest, these are my favs.

Joel's picture

Germany and my country are among my absolute favorites.

Rotten's picture

German gay midget emo \m/

Joel's picture

Ha!

kimo's picture

Damn....I was with you 100% until you mentioned emo.

Faber's picture

Epic Metal! Manilla Road, Omen, Ironsword, Wotan, 2nd nd 3th Fates Warning, Battleroar, old Manowar, Bathory, Doomsword, etc etc! Love it!

Stiopa's picture

+1

Joel's picture

I could never get into Manilla Road or Fate's Warning but I love Battle Cry and Warning of Danger. I love Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, and Twilight of the Gods too.

mercyful king's picture

Late 60's Mongolian blackened speed core thrash

Joel's picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnJbdT4t5g

It's those goddamn Mongorians again!

sprewell's picture

80s Thrash, especially Bay area including Slayer. Stoner Metal-High on Fire, Windhand, Sleep. New Thrash/Crossover-DRI, Lich King, Power Trip. MAIDEN

Joel's picture

My beloved Bay Area goes hand in hand with quality Metal. Oh, and uh...EVERYTHING Maiden did in the 80s throughout that entire decade is outstanding.

Cannibal Lecter's picture

NWOBHM & Bay area thrash

Joel's picture

Very good.

almostwilt's picture

dutch doom death

Joel's picture

Asphyx, Creepmime, and Sempiternal Deathreign are good.

the beast's picture

60s,70s,80s,90s,Doom,Heavy Metal,NWOBHM,Stoner,Sludge,'Grunge',Black Metal,Death Metal (Swedish/Florida),Black/Thrash,Thrash...i don´t like it to say only this or that genre...maybe there are even more

Joel's picture

Lot of good stuff in what you just mentioned in that comment.

DraconianStark666's picture

USPM, old and new NWOBHM, and 2nd Wave Black [Mainly Norweigan, but also including some Polish and Finnish (á la Satanic Warmaster)], German Power, "Cascadian" Black, Finnish Power/Folk/Melodic Death, Worldwide Hard Rock/Proto-Metal, Finnish Black (Beherit, Archgoat, etc.).

Joel's picture

I like every one of those.

Pages