TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

TSS is supported by ‐ monitor website changes with changedetection.io
Forums > All other metal related talk..

What do you prefer? : cassette-tape, vinyls or CD's?

WEDERGANGER
Fri, 04/07/2014 - 14:17

My preference goes out to CD's and vinyls.
Because I think cassetts are a pain in the ess :P

judascrust's picture

I love almost any format, I like to have a hard copy of an album in my hands. I'd have to go with CDs though - I almost exclusively listen to music when I'm driving (don't really have time for it any other time) and most cars today don't have cassette players so I always have CDs in the car.
I know tapes are a pain in the ass with rewinding and whatnot but for some reason I love them. I used to buy a lot of tapes when I was younger, trolling pawn shops for old cheap metal tapes, it makes me happy to see that tapes are kinda making a comeback in the underground.
I'll admit my ear is not the keenest as far as judging sound quality so when it comes to vinyl I have a hard time noticing a difference in its sound compared to digital music. that said, my love of vinyl is more because of the size of the sleeves and being able to look at a larger image of an album's artwork. Maybe I'm just a lazy, spoiled, childish asshole but I always hate having to get up and turn the record over to finish an album :P

Heavy Mental Maniac's picture

Vinyls. That's the superior form of recorded music, tapes I only buy for collecting purposes and some small band demos. CDs are fine when the vinyl is far too expensive or not released at all.

nemain's picture

I prefer vinyl, but I buy and listen to all formats. My least favourite is easily MP3, but I'll still buy them if the album is unavailable in a physical format. I could easily put myself in serious debt trying to buy all the vinyl records I want each month though.

LaUlvenDrepe's picture

Hands down, without a doubt - vinyl.

The superior warm sounding tones, the bigger artwork... what's not to love? It's the ultimate format for collectors who are in it for the music AND passion for art in general. I only buy tapes when vinyl isn't available, and CD's when neither vinyl or tapes are available.

Joel's picture

I've been developing an appreciation for vinyl and I've decided that I'm just gonna stick with that format from now on. I've come to like them for the same reasons you do.

LaUlvenDrepe's picture

Fuck yeah!! Haha. \\m//

We seem to have a lot in common man, glad to hear it! :D

Joel's picture

I'm not TOO sure about that but yeah, we share some of the same tastes in Metal. I love the NWOBHM, old 80s USPM, Speed Metal/Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, etc. I know you're not really into those types of Metal so much. I'm also not as much of a misanthrope as you can frequently be, but there are times when I feel like being a little on the socially detached side. I have anti-human feelings toward people I think deserve it...however, I'm pro-humanist toward people I consider inherently decent.

LaUlvenDrepe's picture

Haha, you know... I do have high misanthropic tendencies, but I'm actually a pretty nice guy to most people. I see it as more of a "be the bigger person" type concept. I'm nice to everybody until they prove they deserve otherwise. I'm oddly misanthropic, you can say.

Joel's picture

I'm inherently pretty friendly too. I like that "be the bigger person" approach. In other words, take the high road and be a gentleman.

LaUlvenDrepe's picture

Yep! Exactly.

Lyx's picture

LP's, Tapes...then Cd's
I dont like Cd's..

Liberator's picture

Tapes all the way! Growing up, my parents didn't own a CD player or a turntable. So whenever I got a metal album on CD, I had to give it to a friend to get it dubbed on tape. I'd give away the CD and listen to the tape. I like tapes, I know people complain about tapes, but I love em. I have a tape deck and buy my favourite albums on tape. CDs are good, vinyls are OK. Personally never understood the big deal about them.

Daniel Sodomaniac's picture

Can you still get new albums on tape in North America (US/CAN)?
Heard tapes was big there back in the day.
I`m like 50/50 CD/vinyl but i think vinyl i more of a real record.
Still use and do mix tapes for outdoor rocking who else on TSS does that :)?!

Liberator's picture

I haven't seen a single tape at the local HMV here. But I buy tapes from a few pawn shops and second hand stores. Apart from that there's a place in Toronto that carries some decent metal and occasionally tapes. Unfortunately, it is very rare. I buy my tapes on line most of the time!

I have to buy blank tapes from this one company who recently shut down their Toronto location, cos no one else carries them. Sucks! I still prefer to rebel and hold my tapes with nostalgia. Some of the tapes my parents own are from 1970s and are still fucking good!

WEDERGANGER's picture

At least here in Europa most underground black metal (in my case) still comes out on Tape

TheWitchburner's picture

Lot of thrash and hardcore aswell

exumer_09's picture

All 3 as long as the music is good!:D
But would I do like about vinyl an tape, you actually have to listen to the album from beginning to end!

Chemical Burn's picture

Vinyl. I like demos on tape but not full lengths. I very rarely buy CDs these days, I have about 300 but I only got maybe 50 of them or less since I turned 18. I only download music when it's something that I wouldn't be able to find/afford otherwise or I already have it on vinyl/tape and I couldn't be arsed copying it to a CD and then converting it to MP3s myself.

gizter's picture

i am going to be the one to say i prefer CD's. sorry, but i feel like they are the most reliable form. i have to admit that it is a lot more fun to play records, but you have to be way more carefull with them, and take good care of them, wich is not my strongest point, one even formed a locked grove and that pisses me off (anyone know how to fix this?).
and i really don't trust tapes. think they are the most vulnerable form and therefore don't buy them anymore.

also kind of depends on the bands. i prefer bands like Saxon and Venom on vinyl, but really want bands like Sunn O))) and The Body on CD.

Taikon's picture

This. I only buy vinyl or tape if the album has been released exclusively on those formats, or if it's a special edition with bonus tracks, patch, poster, different artwork or whatnot. And I always go for digipaks when those are available.

g.dresche's picture

i fucking love tapes. for easiness i gladly take digital music and if i had the money and not already this stupidly expensive merch collecting habit, i feel like i'd go for vinly instead of tapes now. my wallet is grateful for not doing so though

SAATANANVITTU's picture

Vinyl and cassette. Especially vinyl though, I think some albums really are not as good on other formats (for example The Thousandfold Epicentre by The Devil's blood, I can just put the vinyl on and sit through the entire album just looking at the booklet's artwork from the vinyl). It just gives a different feeling, more atmosphere.

Battered Steel's picture

Vinyl and Cassette, very picky about CD's. Usually CD is a last resort in terms of availability or price. It really depends, I buy vinyl if I think the album would benefit more from clarity and warmth (or it comes with a big ol' booklet + poster), but cassettes if the lo-fi compressed nature of tapes adds to the ambiance and sound. Like I have Doombringer in both cassette and vinyl, but the cassette just sounds more focused, less air-y. Plus tapes are great for collecting demos, which is just cumbersome for 7". A lot of the tapes I have are from local bands I know so it's cool to trade and shit.

SpecializedinTerror's picture

CDs hands down. I love vinyl but there are so many superior qualities in CDs for me than there are in records.

meaningless's picture

LP/CD > Tapes ...but Vinyl and CD is equal for me. Both have their Pro's and Con's (biggest CON atm for Vinyl is the price...the companys totaly freak out with the prices atm....)

Daniel Sodomaniac's picture

Yeap i think we are being ripped with todays vinyl prices i rather buy the cd for like 10 € than a new album on vinyl for 30 €.

PForx's picture

Vinyl > Tape > CD

Nater90's picture

*snip*

Nater90's picture

I collect CDs, Would love to collect all if I could though.

CDs are fine, Doesn't worry me tbh.

Vombatus's picture

Like most people around here, it's vinyl for me. Use to buy lots of CDs but in the last year or two I find myself buying less and less (have around 450-500...) and concentrating mostly on vinyl. They aren't much more expensive, sound better and look nicer with the big artwork. Will buy the CD if not available on vinyl though.

Not big fan of tapes but I have a couple of odd ones lying around, so I reserve them mostly for rare/underground stuff (or raw BM that gets enhanced by the bad quality :D ). And I hate mp3. Burn it with fire ! (hmmm still use youtube/bandcamp to check stuff I don't own and is potentially nice).

kertalaaki's picture

I pretty much used to collect only CD's, but nowadays I also tend to buy LP's when I see them in a reasonable price. Sometimes I also buy cassettes, but those mainly second hand. Even though I sometimes buy vinyls, I still heavily prefer CD's because of the price and versatility of the format. I do think that I would buy much more LP's if they would be cheaper.

Croby's picture

cd's.

Judas Priestess's picture

8 tracks

KazolOrajia's picture

Vinyl is best, for various reasons. Usually new albums on vinyl are cut from different masters, ones that haven't been brickwalled to death. Older albums recorded/mixed in analog always sound better. And records are just plain fucking cool.

I also love cassettes for the nostalgia, and because I'm a bit of an anachronist when it comes to my metal (also a reason I like LPs).

Heimdall11's picture

Bought my first metal cassett today, because it was the only thing the band sold :D But usually I prefer CD and vinyl..

maidenfan620's picture

I'll take anything, but Vinyl is my favorite. I love the big artwork and the nostalgia factor that comes with it. Plus, I'm a firm believer that it sounds better than other formats. For the sake of convenience I'll buy a CD so I can listen to music on the go.

Oldschool's picture

I think vinyl sound is supperior but I don't buy all my loved albums on LP, just the ones I'd play the most.
Then comes CD & Tape, pretty much equal to me but I like the sound of cassettes somehow better ^^

J.j. Ratte's picture

Vinyl - Tape - PD and than CD.

578,923 items in the gallery, 884,231 comments, and 670 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments