TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Wearing vests/cutoffs/jackets while in public among the "normals".

Joel
Sun, 29/06/2014 - 22:38

Do any of you wear your vests/cutoffs/jackets in all their decorated glory while you're out-and-about just...doing shit? You know, on a day-to-day basis. Buying groceries, getting something at a Starbucks, going to school, shopping at Gamestop, etc.

Kathulex's picture

Always

Joel's picture

Very good.

Kathulex's picture

I mean, I don't think people really care what other people are wearing. Maybe they will mutter something to themselves but nothing out loud.

Joel's picture

Gotcha.

WEDERGANGER's picture

Yup, on a hot day a battlejacket and when it's cold a lether jacket. White patches offcorse...

Joel's picture

Awesome.

Chemical Burn's picture

Yeah, why not?

Joel's picture

I personally don't care what anybody thinks. If they like it, that's cool. If not, then that's alright too. Can't please everyone. I'm just wondering if you make any exceptions, that's all.

Chemical Burn's picture

I wear it pretty much every time I go out further than the shop up the road. The only exceptions are when I'm doing something with the family that requires me to look "nice" and work because I need to be clean for that, but sometimes I wear one of my leather ones because they're not as ganky as my denim one.

Joel's picture

Ganky? That an Irish term for ratty or weathered?

Chemical Burn's picture

Joel's picture

Haha...got it. Thanks.

SAATANANVITTU's picture

I've been wearing my kutte less but when I do have a jacket it always has at least a backpatch!

Joel's picture

Sounds good.

SAATANANVITTU's picture

Also, 99% of the time I wear a band tshirt and the backpack that I use almost every single day has two patches. If I don't have anything that indicates what kind of music I love on me, I feel quite naked to be honest.

Joel's picture

So you're the typical metalhead in that you wear Metal-related clothing all the time since it gives you a sense of subcultural identity.

SAATANANVITTU's picture

Haha yeah!

ReskP's picture

Same here, without theses sh***, I feel naked..
So : band shirt really often, if I can one of my 2 kutte, and my school bag has 4 patch !
Good to see I'm not the only crazy guy on this earth haha

Joel's picture

Always nice meeting other wild metalheads who generally don't fit in too well in mainstream society. Welcome to TSS!

ReskP's picture

Exactly.. thanks mate !!

Joel's picture

You're welcome!

Symbolic692's picture

I do sometimes unless it's too hot out. I get some people staring from the corner of their eye but never a negative experience. I've had a handful of guys in there 40's - 50's come up to me and get excited seeing the stuff they used to listen to at my age they say.

Joel's picture

That sounds fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if I got the same kinds of reactions from older metalheads considering the kind of Metal I've got sewn onto my cutoff.

ManOboy's picture

i wouldnt really wear any of that stuff to work or whatever, i dont have a cut off denim anymore, just a black denim with a discharge backpatch on it which my employers dont mind that i wear to work (i work in construction). BUT if you were going to court or work, or a formalevent, i wouldnt wear any "metal" related garb.

Joel's picture

I wear Metal shirts to work. My superiors haven't said anything, but I wouldn't wear my vest to work at all.

ManOboy's picture

i guess it really depends on the job

Joel's picture

If it's very blue-collar and industrial, then I'd say yeah, go right ahead.

Blüdrayne's picture

no, because you'd damage it. Stains or rips, ya know.

Joel's picture

Yeah, that's true. I wasn't even thinking when I wrote that response.

TheWitchburner's picture

People don´t really seem to mind. Mostly positive reactions from the ''elder headbangers''. I get to hear all kind of stories. For example how drunk they were on the Dynamo Festival when Venom played there in '96 haha

Joel's picture

That's what I'd like to get; positive reactions from like-minded metalheads who are a lot older than me.

Judas Priestess's picture

Sometimes I do but sometimes I don't bother wearing it around all day especially when it's hot out.

Joel's picture

My sister told me that It'd be best to avoid wearing my vest whenever it's really sunny outside. It wouldn't be good for all those screen-printed patches in the long run.

Judas Priestess's picture

Yeah that's true but I mainly said that because it gets too hot to walk around in a patch filled denim vest all day.

Joel's picture

That makes sense. I guess maybe it also depends on how tight the thing is. Mine's very soft, roomy, and loose-fitting. You on the other hand would be drowning in your sweat if you wore that black Samhain leather jacket outside in some hot weather.

LifeOfDeath's picture

Well not day-to-day basis. Sometimes when I feel like it and the weather allows it. I've noticed that I get a lot more weird looks when I'm wearing my leather haha.

Joel's picture

That black vest with the shaped Enslaved logo BP? Maybe people think you're some kind of true Black Metal biker.

LifeOfDeath's picture

It might be haha. You don't see many bikers around here.

ThrashMetal1983's picture

If it's not too hot outside I will! Or I'll wear a flannel with a back patch on it. I almost ALWAYS wear cut off shirts and I now have a cut off flannel with a back patch on it. I don't care what people think if they see me in my "metal attire" for lack of a better term. I'm a proud metalhead!

Joel's picture

Fuck yeah man! Be loud, be proud! A cutoff flannel sounds comfortable by the way.

joecubbie's picture

Always! Lol I get dirty looks but whatever.

Joel's picture

I expect to get dirty looks. I don't even care.

SallyTheScumberjack's picture

I dont know how it is in the states. But i wear mine usually everyday/everywhere and people treat me the same. Even when i wore it in highschool no one really cared. When i was getting into metal i thought it was all rebellious and shit..... soon found out that no one really gives a fuck.

Joel's picture

Well, as for me personally, I'm not really into Metal for the sake of rebellion and I'm not making a calculated effort to draw attention to myself either. I just continue loving the music and the accompanying subculture. If somebody goes so far as to HATE that, then to Hell with 'em.

vomitoxic's picture

All the time. Feels really weird to do about anything without it.

Joel's picture

You're totally immersed in it...I like that.

Lars248's picture

I do. No one makes a big deal about it.

Joel's picture

Good.

PForx's picture

Yes, except for certain circumstances like hiking/camping trips or certain weather conditions. I almost feel naked without it.

Joel's picture

My guess is that you don't want that thing to get too filthy.

PForx's picture

Oh, I don't care about filth, it's full of beer, food stains and dirt. It's just that battlejackets aren't so practical in the forest, or when it's too cold.

Joel's picture

I can see how it'd be pretty useless in frigid weather. You are in Norway after all!

Hárbarðr's picture

Yeah, summer here gets too damn hot sometimes (35°), so no kutte-wearing, thanks. But other than that, yeah, i wear it to do many things, not all the time, but when i feel like it.

Joel's picture

You probably wear it to any show you attend.

Hárbarðr's picture

Certainly!

BlueDemon's picture

I wear my battle vest most of the time in public. I don't care what people think. Can't wear it a work because have a uniform shirt (I work at a supermarket).

Joel's picture

Awesome. That's what I'll end up doing.

DethronedEmperor23's picture

never. only to shows.

Joel's picture

Only for special occasions huh? That's cool.

InfernalDetriment's picture

Same here. I find it rather lame when I see people wearing gauntlets, combat boots, etc. at grocery stores. Seems like they're fishing for attention imo. I know everyone has their own reasons but I just dress "normal" when doing daily things (gym, work, school, shopping).

Joel's picture

Well, I'm not talking about going TOO over-the-top. I'm just talking about vests/cutoffs/jackets.

InfernalDetriment's picture

Ehh that's still a bit much for me. I just wear band shirts or Hoodies when out and about. But when I'm going to a get together, party, or show then I wear my vest or leather jacket.

Joel's picture

Parties and shows are definitely the appropriate settings for donning a patched-up cutoff.

DethronedEmperor23's picture

haha yeah, you definitely see where Im going with this.

DeathRipper's picture

Yeah.

SpecializedinTerror's picture

I wear my battle jacket mostly everywhere. I mean, if I'm just running to the store to pick up milk or something I won't put it on but if I'm actually going somewhere for an extended period, I'll wear it. I'm not trying to get attention, I just feel more comfortable wearing it over my shirt.

Joel's picture

I guess we're in the same camp then.

Battered Steel's picture

Yes. I even go so far as wear my leather in the mid scorch of a summer day, and my reply to bewildered passerby's is honest: It's always a cold day in my heart.

I don't see why a bit of sun should take the darkness off my back, better to save that kind of nonchalant foolishness for the commoners.

Joel's picture

Wow, that's uh...quite a response. You are hardcore my friend!

maidenfan620's picture

The feels

maidenfan620's picture

I used to wear my battlejacket almost daily in high school (Got me voted "Born in the Wrong Decade" in the yearbook) and I wear it pretty much everyday in college. I wear it going out with friends or when I go to parties. Of course going to shows. I guess the only time I DON'T wear it is when I'm out with family or going to a nice restaraunt. Best ever though was I went into the supermarket I work at on my day off while wearing it. My boss saw me and had this look of "What the hell?"

Joel's picture

I love that story dude! "Born in the wrong decade" is right. That description applies to me!

maidenfan620's picture

It was way funny. I didn't have many friends in high school and all of a sudden I get a note telling me to report to the publications room to take pictures (I just so happened to be wearing the jacket that day). Turns out people put down "the metal kid" or "the guy in the denim" when voting and people just knew that it was me.

Joel's picture

Nice! I assume you just graduated within the past...what, thirteen months or so?

maidenfan620's picture

Yeah you got it. Only been a year since. now with one year of work & college under my belt.

Joel's picture

Sounds good. You're getting your shit together in life far earlier than my sorry ass!

Nater90's picture

I pretty much only wear mine to shows, I wore it to my work dinner last year for shits and gigs, My warehouse managers wife was amazed at it and one of our sales reps that's a metal head got tad drunk and we talked about metal a lot on the way home was a good laugh, I'm making more that I will wear heaps, Just my current one has a lot of spikes so don't want to ruin my mates interior when we go for a cruise in his WRX.

Joel's picture

Yeah, you wouldn't wanna ruin parts of your friends' car now, would you?

Nater90's picture

Hell no, its a nice car and he lovesssssssss it.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/259347/2009-subaru-impreza-wr...

^2009 Subaru Impreza WRX, I wear it in my car though I got seat covers protecting seats hehe.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/NaterLocke/cp483893995470605044...

1995 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Limited Edition :D Love my car and the killer stereo I put in.

Joel's picture

Blasting Metal through the streets of AUS huh? Sounds good.

Nater90's picture

Fuck yeah mate! Week after I got my license I was at mates house installing a killer head-unit and speakers, 8 Hours later....

Joel's picture

Nice.

gizter's picture

a friend of mine his car the entire interior is ripped already, the chairs are almost just the foam.. pretty fucked up car anyway. but he is slowly fixing it up.

Joel's picture

Wow.

Nater90's picture

Haha nice! Doesn't worry me about mine so much, But others I do.

slayerslayer's picture

yes , and no,no no , and no

Heavy Mental Maniac's picture

Why shouldn't you wear your jacket or vest (when the weather allows it) when you go the store or do normal stuff, I consider it a part of my clothing and not just something to show off at gigs and festivals.

Joel's picture

I see. So, it's a normal everyday fixture of your wardrobe. Well, that may just end up applying to me!

BlueDemon's picture

+1

Croby's picture

now and then, yes.

Joel's picture

Gotcha.

ZAKRAT's picture

yep hahaha all the time. gotta give the ''normals'' a chance to see a real cool looking cat for once :-P

Joel's picture

Hahaha...that's awesome dude!

KazolOrajia's picture

Not to work, but otherwise I never leave the house without it.

Joel's picture

That might very well end up being me.

nerf_ herder4444's picture

Before I clock in at work, I like to stroll in the doors wearing my vest because it makes me feel like a boss lol. To me, when I wear it in public, it makes me feel like a warrior of metal, I guess that's why it's called a battle jacket. It makes me feel more confident.

Joel's picture

Wear it without any sense of low self-esteem!

Queen Catsie's picture

Hey, me too!

mayhempunk666's picture

i wear mine all the time when im off duty and going out into town, I get some weird fucking looks though which isn't too shocking seeing as I live on a military base

the only thing that I cover up is my Witchaven "Black Thrash Assault" shirt until I get through the gate. It get's hilarious looks from people in town, excluding the local metal folk of course

Joel's picture

That is one outrageous cover. I can see how a shirt like that would get some funny looks, especially in ultra Catholic Italy!

Queen Catsie's picture

All the time. I wear it a bit less often in the summer because it can get a bit too hot (thing's nearly bulletproof, there's like 4 layers to it) and I don't like sweating bullets unless I'm at a show. But I wear it to school, shows, dining out, shopping, even wore it to a fancy party over an evening gown.

Joel's picture

I've heard it can get hotter than Hell in NYC in the summer, so that's understandable. By the way, even to a formal party? I'm impressed.

Queen Catsie's picture

Yeah, gets very hot. And yeah, I sure did! The stares were priceless.

Joel's picture

I'll bet those facial expressions were!

Cannibal Lecter's picture

Fuck. Yes.

Tico Tyrant's picture

not usually---maybe once in a while for alcoholocausts or concerts

Joel's picture

Whatever works for you man!

mealkeith's picture

I have worn my dark throne hoodie on numerous occasions to a mainstream bar that blurts out RaB and And I only at best got some questions and some strange looks

here is a picture of me with it on
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10495386_102041...

Joel's picture

You definitely look out-of-place with that hoodie on, that's for sure. Don't tell any of those people about the whole Norwegian Aryan Black Metal controversy of Darkthrone's own making 20 years ago.

Morbid_Welshman's picture

The only time I don't is when it's majorly hot out.
I've worn mine to work, on the train, in Clubs ("Ordinary" and Metal ones, of course) and in many more places :L

Joel's picture

Hot weather exists in Wales? I've always heard that the Welsh climate is cold and wet most of the time.

gizter's picture

depends on what you're used too. whats considered hot by a lot of people here in the Netherlands is winter in Miami

Joel's picture

Good point.

Morbid_Welshman's picture

It's cold and wet most of the time, but it's about 30 Celcius at the moment, which is a rarity :o

What surprised me, is that my "Fuck Dubstep" patch gets me the dirtiest looks, hahah :L

Joel's picture

Alright, so it's 86 degrees? Holy shit, that IS hot for that part of the world! Dubstep is awful music.

http://global3.memecdn.com/metal-is-just-noise_o_437743.jpg
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6281088256/h26CAA11C/

gizter's picture

same here right now... hate it. can't stand really warm weather..

Joel's picture

I love cold weather (not VERY cold though). I also love mild weather and I like reasonably warm weather. I do not however like it when it's scorching outside.

mealkeith's picture

most dub step is abominable crap anyway Industrial music is by far superior

Joel's picture

True.

Blüdrayne's picture

Going to a club tonight. Gonna wear my jacket. I'm literally just there to drink, so I don't give a fuck.

Joel's picture

Does anybody REALLY give a fuck about anything while drunk?

Nater90's picture

No! That's why their drunk haha!

LZK1226's picture

I usually do. Sometimes I get compliments from non-metal people. Which is always nice. Haha. I always wear mine at a bar. I'm a big dude, so with my spikes battle jacket, annoying drunks tend to avoid me. Which is nice. Haha

Joel's picture

Sounds like everything's working out for you then. That's cool.

Nater90's picture

I've got spikes to people bump into me and say OUCH or Damn man!!! its rather funny. I'll post a funny story below.

Nater90's picture

First time I wore my kutte was to Lamb of God and Meshuggah (which kicked major fucking ass FYI)

I was waiting in line wasn't sure if I'd be allowed in because of so many spikes and was first gig I wore it to (I think over 220 haven't bothered to count because meh). Security saw me and was like Wow! Don't want to brush up against you tonight so that was all good, But while waiting this chick span around when security said it and was amazed at it and she was little drunk and started poking me all the bands she has seen that I have on my kutte and wished me a good night and hugged me, Her boyfriend span around who was also drunk and saw my spikes and said DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! I fucking love your spikes man I have some on my belt so he lifted and showed me (Your standard spike belt that you see in shops for $20) I fucking love you man! and hugged me and said FUCK they hurt dude! and in the pit people were complementing and touching spikes and said they hurt and I just laughed, All the gigs I been to its just funny to see others reactions to it.

577,147 items in the gallery, 883,690 comments, and 655 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments