TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Turning shirts inside out for the washing machine and then air drying them in order to preserve the graphics and quality.

Joel
Sun, 02/08/2015 - 05:53

Today my sister imparted that advice on me and I'm taking it seriously. Do any of you do this?

Blüdrayne's picture

Yes. UV light in sunlight causes the print to crack or fade faster.

Joel's picture

So should I just...put up a clothesline in my garage and let 'em air out that way?

Blüdrayne's picture

You don't really have to. I just sun it inside out. I reverse it when I take it off anyway, so it's no extra work for me.

Joel's picture

Okay, so just put 'em through the washing machine inside out, and then let them air dry in the sun while they're still inside out. That's it?

Blüdrayne's picture

That's what I do, yes. IIRC Bayernpirat also once did a guide on recolouring faded shirts. That might interest you.

Joel's picture

I may check that out. Thanks man.

Bayernpirat's picture

yeah, washing and drying inside out is the best way to keep your shirt in good condition.
and for recoloring of faded shirts you can use Simplicol, I have a tutorial in my uploads

Joel's picture

Bludrayne told me about that tutorial of yours. I'll have to read it sometime.

Joel's picture

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. I like what you did with that Sepultura shirt.

meaningless's picture

yep...do that since more then 20 years, 99% of all my shirts are still in a great condition!

Joel's picture

Sounds like a reliable approach!

overkill386's picture

Yup, I machine wash my shirts inside out with cold water and dry em on the lowest setting. The heat makes the paint over bake causing it to crack. Before I knew this......well...... R.I.P my old shirts :( lol

overkill386's picture

I just take em out when they are good. I don't let em over dry in there so I'm constantly opening it and checking. I can't really air dry in my apartment because I'm on the shaded side and it will take forever for my shirts to dry

DevilzForce's picture

daily grind... been doing that since i learned how to use the washing machine (thanks mom) hahaha

oldmate's picture

i have a line in my carport. No direct sun. I still wash them all inside out and hand them that way. I turn them the right was when I fold them. I also only use spin dry

nameless_rites's picture

I have shirts that are 15-20 years old that look nearly new, thanks to hang drying.

Joel's picture

I'll definitely go with that option.

Rotten's picture

I wash my shirts inside out and dry them in the shade or on a clothes horse in my laundry. I've been doing it for years and it seems to be working. Obviously, the more you wash them - the more it will detiriate over time - it's inevitable.

Turkey-man's picture

I don't know what t-shirts you have, but you must wash 'em in warm water with your own hands.

Heinz's picture

Cold water wash, extra rinse, put on LOW setting in dryer only for about 10 minutes with the other laundry, then take out and gently stretch on a hanger, let dry under ceiling fan. Yes, I'm picky about my vintage shirts, LOL...

Heinz's picture

That little 10 minute dryer session helps get the wrinkles out...

Liberator's picture

General rule is to not put band shirts in the dryer, no matter what the setting. I used to handwash all my band shirts. Not much time for that anymore. What I suggest is wait till you pile up bandshirts turn them inside out, wash them together. I usually separate my shirts (blacks/whites etc) and wash them in a load. Hang em to dry inside the garage or laundry room.

Joel's picture

Excellent idea. Thanks!

oldmate's picture

the more metal tee yo u have the less they get fucked up. Lower washing rotation :)

Heinz's picture

Also, I only use hangers with the non-slip rubber along the top, so the neck doesn't stretch as it's hanging.

578,656 items in the gallery, 884,161 comments, and 671 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• 👈👆🤘
  • -razor blue border gone
  • You struck gold, this is amazing!
  • AGREEED🔥🔥
  • Such a bad ass find!
  • You print this?
  • DAMN!
  • OH! I love that the back says ILLinois. I love sporting Bands from my home State!
  • Were these practice runs for Hells Head Bangers?
  • Good old German Thrash!
  • Die 3 zusammen wären auch einiges mehr Wert das es jeweils nur 50 bis 100er Auflagen gibt
  • Würde dir auch alle 3 für den Regicide geben, also den HM Power '83, den Metal Bastards und den Freundschaftspatch
  • Der ist auch neutral
  • Thank you!
  • Cool one!
  • Awesome vinyl..