TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

straight edge metalheads?

DeathInFire
Fri, 22/04/2016 - 21:30

this is something i never really hear brought up but are any of you guys straight edge? i know its mainly tied to the hardcore scene but im way more of a metalhead and am straight edge. its kind of a long and lengthy story that i wont type all of here that led me to not drink, do drugs or have casual sex but i've noticed being an edge metalhead is sort of an anomalie. being edge hasnt stopped me from listening to bands like tankard or municipal waste which glorify drinking and i dont look down on people who drink or smoke weed or whatever. i used to get drunk and high a lot and through a series of events, i've stopped and now i'm here.

anyways, didnt know if there was anyone else out there in the same boat while still being a metalhead.

Der Todesking's picture

I am not, but you got my full respect! Cheers!

Nater90's picture

I'm not.

If you want a better life and want to have better quality of life.

All comes down to the choices you make, You have to lay in the bed you make.

meaningless's picture

if i remember right..., there was a similiar topic here some years ago..hehe..and ill answer again:
Yes - here i am :D ...i found out this 'Straight Edge' think while listen to a lot of Hardcore stuff, back in the early/mid 90's...and i was loving this idea.
I dont drink any alcohol since 19 years now, if im correct. Before..i have drunk more then enough for the rest of my life ;) seriously..haha..and i didnt missed anything on the way..hahaha...
Im still the same person...i would say, but compared to you - i still love TANKARD!!! :D :D :D .haha..still one of my faves and will ever be :D
Just dont wearing Tankard shirts anymore with writtings like: Beer Forever. ..or 'Beer for life' ..lol

.and about drugs - never bothered with that stuff...
Even in my collection, u still can find some Straight-Edge Merchandise, i still own :)

Croby's picture

hats off dude :D

NocturnalOccultist's picture

the word "straight-edge" can lose a lot of friends and such. I rather use "abstinence" or "abstinent" than "straight edge"

DisgustingSemla's picture

Nah, there's too many good beers to try out

Hárbarðr's picture

+1
But i find not doing drugs very positive, it is more rational to spend the little money i have on records than on destroying myself.

Croby's picture

There are few of us, so all the respects to you bro! Keep it up! :D Sadly, I have been ridiculed by metal community here in Croatia because of my life's personal choices, but hell, I do not pay attention to opinions of the sheep who do not know me truly and do not know my reasons for staying clean. 22 and never been drunk or high in my whole life. Only tried alcohol (wine) once, when I was still at elementary school, and that was the end of it :D Assholes who ridicule someone because of his/hers personal choices do not deserve any kind of respect, whether if they are sXe or not. Those who ridicule have probably not experienced some serious shitty things in life and they have nowhere to learn from (eg alcoholic and abusing father), or what is more sad, have experienced shit in life but they take even more destructive,alcohol and drug abusing path, that is what saddens me most, but well, to each their own....

DeathInFire's picture

+1 great response my man

Blüdrayne's picture

As long as they mind their own business and don't impose their decisions on my life, I don't care.
Same goes with a lot else.

NIHILL 77's picture

Sums it up nicely. Nuffield.

xZANx's picture

i consider myself both a Metalhead and a Straight Edge(10 years since i started),my attitude was already there when i found out about straight edge,i just gave it a name. i'm into hc punk and i love some sxe bands(m.threat,monster x,ssd,slapshot and etc.) and i despise some others(basically all the preachy\intollerant macho pricks,with the new school sound),for me being sxe i just a way to keep me sober and focused on everything i really care,if someone despise my attitude cause is not metal being sober can fuck off!

Heinz's picture

Moderation is more it for me. I don't smoke, only light drinking and no recreational drugs. I've had to use narcotics for different things, lately knee surgery, I know how good they feel and can hook you in so I stay clear unless necessary... so maybe I have an edge leaning in that respect. I also got some good old edge friends from the punk scene; it's all good :)

NIHILL 77's picture

I am psychonaught edge. Beercore.

Each to there own. One life. Your rules.

Sol Invictus's picture

Hear hear.

BadxDog's picture

9 years of claiming straight edge

THMManiac's picture

I understand the straight edge attitude but I am not straight edge. I drink and smoke pot and cigarettes on and off but I fully support it as long as it isn't forced by others. however the only time I really hear of the straight edge mentality being forced on others is by typical yuppies who think they are better than others who partake in any controlled substance. Even though I don't practice it, I think the idea of being free from the grasp of any substance and maintaining complete control over ones self is something that was imbedded into me just by simply being a pissed off loner kid long before I even gave a fuck about music (Not the practice of being straight edge, but just the tone of the whole idea) But I fully wrapped my head around legitimately cutting out all substances and could vocalize ideas relating to that once I discovered the old hardcore bands. So cheers to that, I understand it but I don't embrace it

BeefCakeAssThrash's picture

Meh, I'm sticking to the Gehennah way of life, haha. Respect tho, do what thou wilt! As long as you're happy with your way of life.

sandmanforce's picture

I like drink some beer when I go festivals. I like beers but I do not like the drugs and other shits...
I think the most important our health...I can not drop pills but sometimes bring calm if I drink a beer...it is better way I think. You can choice what do you think...

streetcrust's picture

I turned pescatarian / sXe in highschool and i was straight until i left highschool + 2 years. Broke edge when some shit occured in my life and i ended up smoking like a a son of a bitch and drinking MASSIVE amounts of beer. Luckily i quit smoking ( started vaping...) and my drinking is sorta hit and miss ( i still like drinking alot) But what it boils down to is what you want makes you happy. Recently i started minimalist living/ living out of a backpack, I all my things that i own can fit in a 50L bag. Unlike most metalheads i dont really buy cds or merch ( patches are and exception) , the music is more important then collecting... idk it just feels good listening to metal. Basically what im trying to say is do whatever the fuck you want. You only have one life, so live it.

Vectrex's picture

I don't drink alcohol/smoke because i don't like the taste and i don't fuck around much cause i try to aviod human contact. But i wouldn't consider me straight edge or something. That sounds way too idealistic. I just do these things because i don't need/want it. It has nothing to do with "beeing/following something for the sake of...".

I never understood that is a topici n the first place. Do what you like, don't do what you don't like is all that matters if it comes to your hobby. Why is that even a thing that get's pointed out, that some people who listens Metal music don't do drugs or drink? Because of the public. The public sees Metal as something wild and rebellious. Drinking alcohol = not the norm ergo rebellious. Sure, a lot of people drink and do stuff because they like it...thats alright too. It wonders me how this is even a topic.

PS: I love animals, also baby cats..does that make me less Metal now? Although i eat meat, i really really strong have other preferences. i'am a big seafruit and fish guy and i would avoid pork meat any way if i could get seafood instead. But its not so much because of the Animals has to die (yeah thats bad too) but more because of the taste. I think it doesn't matter if i eat meat or not because the animals meat is already to buy. I know, if everyone would stop eating animals we don't would have to kill animals at all...but be realistic...thats not gonna happen. Never. So why even bother?

Nater90's picture

Baby cats are epic as fuck.

My girlfriend and I have two cat sons fuck what anyone thinks!

I do eat meat but I have cut down a lot, I was tending to overeat and it wasn't exactly healthy...I've started eating vegetables more for my lunch at work etc.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, Well put.

Morbideath's picture

Baby cats are epic as fuck.
Hahaha that's the best line I read

Nater90's picture

Thanks, I love em to death!

antena's picture

you make wanna see a tss "show pictures of your cat" topic

Nater90's picture

I'd love to!

I've shown pictures of myself holding one of my cat sons Leo while he's wearing the kutte I made for him!

Der Todesking's picture

Cats are the most awesome thing in life (besides metal maybe!), animals in general! I noticed a lot of metal guys are hardly into kitties! XD Sadly I'm not allowed pets in my appartment now, but I always been surrounded by em. Hail kitties!!!

Nater90's picture

True that man! Yeah my girlfriend and I love animals, When we move out together she said she wants to buy me a goat, I responded, I fucking love you!

Kittens are epic, We plan to get more if Leo doesn't get to jealous and try and Hannibal Lector them...

Hail Kitties \m/

Zastrozzi's picture

I was vegan straight edge and super strict about it for 10 years without breaking once. No longer straight edge as I occasionally drink alcohol, but still vegan.

judascrust's picture

DethronedEmperor23's picture

straight edge metalheads? i thnk the correct term is "pre schoolers"

Zastrozzi's picture

LOL, too harsh! I was 25 when I stopped being edge. I'm more a metal head than anything, but I did start out in the hardcore scene, so I carried that element from it with me despite dropping hardcore years ago.

Morbid_Welshman's picture

I'm far from being one, hahah! Not an uncommon thing here in the UK, though

infestdead's picture

Yes there is more like me haha, I am in the same boat I don't drink or do any drugs, or even smoke cigarettes. I love death metal music so much that I travel to any show within 5 hours of Tulsa and have made the trek to maryland death fest twice now. I get grief from time to time but I dont give a shit I do what I like not what other people expect I like to have a good time on my terms I head bang and get in the pit but I likebeing in control I don't have a problem with any one if you want to show up to the show drunk or high or whatever power to you just stay cool and do ruin my night, I get along with everyone so keep the peace when I am at a show I feel like I am with my people and its a great feeling, good day to you all

Cbower's picture

I think that's a great attitude.

Cbower's picture

I always enjoyed getting loaded at shows when I was younger, or, well, just in general. As I get older, I try to make responsible decisions. It doesn't mean I wont partake at a show if the situation permits. I go to a lot of shows with my son now too and he only drinks a little and doesn't use drugs, so that's cool. I think it's fine that you don't use drugs or drink alcohol. I don't know what straight-edge is, sounds like a term my dad would use.

imfan1975's picture

I was vegetarian for half a year, but overtime I just got sick of eating the same shit, so props to those who can sustain that diet.

MasterDeath's picture

I respect people that lead their life as they plan to, as long they're not pussies that try to push other people into it, especially you'll go down at my point of view if you act with "I'm better than you" attitude. Well, I bet that you wouldn't like it if I would press you to drink alcohol, do you? Therefore you have no right to watch other individuals from above, just because you don't drink or smoke. I drink but I don't smoke and I never behaved like I'm better than the ones that smoke or don't drink. Anybody that think that you could oppress other people with your weakling attitude, go fuck yourselves. You do what you want to do. This goes both to ones that are and are not straight edge. It would be my pleasure to be there if you will tell this kind of shit to other people. Acting like you're better than the others, your beliefs and life meanings mean nothing to me. Except if you're fair and respect other people.

EDIT: I added that the same thing goes to the ones that are not straight edge.

Kathulex's picture

I've gone full SxE since I started to go to gym almost daily. I've never smoke and always found drugs and drug users to be despicable and disgusting. Throwing away alcohol was just a final step and not that hard one to make, really. Never gone or will go vegan since I like my proteins and fats and don't need a gyno.

Plus, SxE beatdown hardcore is fukkin' lit for workouts.

Croby's picture

nisam znao stari, respect :D beatdown HC je divota :D

577,147 items in the gallery, 883,690 comments, and 655 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments