TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

R.I.P. Black Sabbath

joecubbie
Fri, 04/09/2015 - 04:37

The Who, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister...it seems everyone is doing their farewell runs these days. Well, add Black Sabbath to the mix. The first leg of The End World Tour has just been announced and looks like this...

North America

Jan. 20 - Omaha, NE @ Centurylink Center
Jan. 22 - Chicago, IL @ UNited Center
Jan. 25 - Minneapolis, MN @ Target Center
Jan. 28 - Saskatoon, SK @ Sasktel Centre
Jan. 30 - Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Centre
Feb. 01 - Calgary, AB @ Scotiabank Saddledome
Feb. 03 - Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena
Feb. 06 - Tacoma, WA @ Tacoma Dome
Feb. 09 - San Jose, CA @ SAP Center
Feb. 11 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
Feb. 13 - Das Vegas, NV @ Mandalay Bay Events Center
Feb. 15 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
Feb. 17 - Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
Feb. 18 - Detroit, MI @ The Palace of Auburn Hills
Feb. 21 - Hamilton, ON @ Firstontario Centre
Feb. 23 - Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
Feb. 25 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden

Australia and New Zealand

Apr. 15 - Perth, @ Perth Arena
Apr. 17 - Adelaide @ Entertainment Centre
Apr. 19 - Melbourne @ Rod Lave Arena
Apr. 23 - Sydney @ Allphones Arena
Apr. 25 - Brisbane @ Entertainment Center
Apr. 28 - Auckland @ Vector Arena
Apr. 30 - Dunedin @ Forsyth Barr Stadium

Honestly, I think this farewell could be the real deal for two reasons. One, Ozzy has a solo career to get back to and two, most importantly, Tony Iommi's health. Based off of interviews I have read of his over the past year or two, he was barely able to handle the touring for 13. That being said, he had to fly out to get treatment every 2 weeks or so in between the tour, but regardless, between age and sickness, Tony is in a very fragile state right now. I don't see any major tours from him after this one. It is really sad to see guys like Tony and Lemmy in the shape they're in, and if this is truly Sabbath's farewell, that says a lot about metal as a genre. The band that started the genre, is ending. It makes one think what it will be like in a post-Sabbath world. Any thoughts or comments? Sorry for babbling now!

joecubbie's picture

Oh yeah, and I'll be front row at the United Center show!

ThomasMustaine's picture

My mom attended the '13 show and told me it was the greatest concert she has ever been too so I will most definitely go to the Melbourne show.
As for the metal these days, I agree with you fully in the sense that I feel that people like Halford, Lemmy, Ozzy, the Metal Gods, are the ones who keep Metal really metal. I believe that once they are gone, newer generations won't have anyone to draw inspiration from, therefore turning to shit like all these core genre which, whatever people may say, are NOT metal because they do not have the attitude, the same anger, the same energy.

I already hate how in Melbourne whenever you ask someone:"oh so you like Metal? what bands are you into?" you get your typical: "well Emure, suicide silence... They are metal as fuck", but once the Metal Gods pass away, true metal will be the minority and the underground, even more elitist (which I think is good).

That is my two cents and my own opinion though.

I have to edit this to say that even if I make it sound like Metal will die, I believe it will live forever. It may not appeal to the majority, it may be senseless noise to some, but the real metalheads out there will keep it alive!!!

joecubbie's picture

I saw them on the 13 Tour as well and must say that it was hands down one of the best shows I've ever seen. Ozzy sounded better than he has in years. As for what "metal" has become now, if you think that's bad, you should hear the scene kids here in the states! They think Black Veil Brides and Pierce the Veil are "metal"!!! Meanwhile, redneck America is currently obsessed with Avenged Sevenfold and Five Finger Death Punch. Metal in its purest form is in a state of trouble right now. The only way I think it can stay alive is if the true fans pass it on to their kids and I am a living breathing example of that. My dad got me into Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, BOC, Rush, Van Halen, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, etc. He lived through the original era of hard rock and metal. He met my mom in the early 80s and moved on from the scene itself, but always loved the music. In return, I got him into all the bands he missed out on including Metallica, Faith No More, At the Gates, Autopsy, Cannibal Corpse, etc. Metal is an amazing and diverse genre. Metal will live forever as long as there's metalheads.

ThomasMustaine's picture

Amen to that! That's how I picture it, passing it through the generations. I mean no other music genre that I know of has this kind of community, bortherhood almost. I think metal is healthy, and you have your stereotypical beer drowned guy, but even then, metalheads they tend to be the nicest, most politically aware, morally and mentally stable people I have met. I may sound like a dickhead to some, but in some way, the elitist side of metal keeps it alive. Besides, I really do enjoy Gangsta Rap from the early '90s, it has the same kind of energy and anger. But nowadays, what genre other than metal is intelligently criticising the fucked up world we live in? Metal is healthy!

joecubbie's picture

Absolutely. Personally, I say fuck rap for a variety of reasons, but we can agree to disagree lol. The reason metalheads I think are so successful in their personal lives and are as nice as they are is because the music is so powerful. People who listened to disco in the 70s or new age in the 80s most likely ended up going through 2 marriages and financial issues. Funny though you mention elitism because I think the only bad examples of metalheads are the "elitists". I'm talking the clowns on Metal Archives who shit on anyone under the age of 25 for being into "entry level" bands like Sabbath or Metallica. Fuck those guys. If anything, they're killing the genre by driving away potential metalheads, kids who wanna get into it, with their poor attitudes.

ThomasMustaine's picture

I would tend to say fuck rap as well, for 99% of rappers/bands yet, no wonder there is such things as anthrax ft. Public enemy, that obituary remix... I came to like rap because of Suicidal Tendencies leading me to Cypress Hill. I can really enjoy the musicianship and genuine and pure message of the gangsta rap of the early 90. It is the only kind of rap I like tho. As for elitism lets just say you have two kinds, the blind and stupid one you mentionned from inferiority complexed individuals or keyboard warriors who think mainstream=shit. Second one being enlightened, proven elitism which consists of assessing whether such band is or isnt metal based on facts (lyrics, instrumental style, interviews, look) and not opinions. Black Metal being the most extreme occurrence. The second for me is necessary, just like the popular opinion is to say "fuck subgenres" well I say thank god people made them because it makes you think about the music and makes looking for mew artists all the more easy!

joecubbie's picture

You just hit the nail on the head. I'd agree that I guess I'm elitist if we're gonna go with the second definition of the word. I'm the guy who breaks it to some scene kid that "Bring Me the Horizon isn't metal.", not the asshole who goes "Pantera isn't true metal. Listen to *insert misanthropic one man black metal project here*." Lol.

ThomasMustaine's picture

That one guy on youtube.... Either Pantera isnt metal or Metallica sucks hihihi! Anyways glad we agree on that!

joecubbie's picture

Haha well Metallica has done a good job at putting out shit for the past quarter of a century, but their first 4 albums are untouchable. I know there's a small handful on TSS who love the black album stuff and onwards, but even if you like it or not, there's no way that work is comparable to their 80s work.

ThomasMustaine's picture

Ahaha damn right! Ride The lightning has my preference, and I really came to appreciate AJFA! But to be honest I am more on the Megadeth side!

Dark Buddha's picture

Saw them when they first came over, 1971 -72 I think? and a few times since including with Dio on 'Heaven and Hell' tour. Missed '13' tour but booking for this one in Sydney. Had an advanced pre-purchase code for best seats but the email went to an old Telstra email a/c ... typical ... now it will be in the very very back of All Phones Arena .... still trying to get tickets.

joecubbie's picture

Yeah it's really sad what's happening with Lemmy. Poor guy. I'd love to see Motörhead live, but at this point, who knows if Lemmy is even capable of doing an hour long set, let alone a 90 minute headline set.

Doktor Kananga's picture

I got my ticket for Motörheads november show in düsseldorf, germany this week...so I keep my fingers crossed. ;-)
I saw Sabbath last year, and it was one of the heaviest shows (soundwise) I ever attended.
Don´t want to say anything against Bill Ward, but It absolutley helped them that they had a young and powerful drummer in Chris Clufetos.
Would love to give em one last farewell if they return to germany next year....

nwobhmbanger's picture

They've since been dead for a very, very long time. What you're looking at is just a shell of their former selves. Not even Bill Ward would be able to change that fact.

meaningless's picture

then lets hope they come 1 more/last time to europe...so my lady can see them too..at least 1 time in her life!

quixotic's picture

would be weird, if they didn't do some europe shows, at least they will play England.

nizbah's picture

I just got tickets to the Tacoma, WA show!

kereealazer's picture

My crew going to the Fabulous Forum Inglewood California! I wonder what they'll play.

Doktor Kananga's picture

Prepare yourself for "The Eternal Idol" in its entirety
;-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

kereealazer's picture

I'd be down. No one would see it coming.

Oldschool's picture

My God, it all got me thinking how awful it really is. I mean with the original rockers resigned, there's nothing left but the subgenres like 'doom', 'thrash' and 'death'. Surely great on their own but tthey'll develop all differently. The good rock will vanish and all subgenres are gonna take over... what a future :<

mike584's picture

I'll be seeing them at Madison Square Garden on the 25th. Can't wait.

frankie530's picture

I'll be there in Chicago

578,489 items in the gallery, 884,108 comments, and 674 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• I agree. Ofc a got a red version of this one too. Will upload it in the near future.
  • Yeah, i like this song too, a cool rocker.
  • I purchased this shirt 15 years ago and it was lost during shipping. I’ve found it again recently on buyee.jp
  • Great Shirt.... Slaaaaayer Rulez
  • Awesome, thanks for the info!
  • Thank you!!, yes, I painted them, but with a brush.
  • Awesome. 🤘
  • All right, then the trip was probably worthwhile for you in more ways than one.
  • Classic stuff!
  • I was in Japan for the fest. Most of everything sold out as literally everyone was buying merch and every piece of it.
  • Not bad! Did they have them in the NWN! store?
  • And that alone explains this patch. But I think the other version of Rapture Textiles is better.
  • A very horny patch hahaha
  • Love this!
  • nice to see the long and short versions compared in this post. thanks for taking the time.
  • All good ! \m\