TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Racism In Metal

SHREDDER S47
Thu, 11/02/2016 - 09:01

I want to talk to you guys about something that has affected me lately. Not just within metal, but within life. I bring this topic up, because of the recent Beyoncé performance at superbowl 50 that glorified a violent black militia that was around approximately 50 years ago. If you aren't already aware of them, this group was called the Black Panther Party. Basically, this is one of the situations that involve people in the black community in America being allowed to show pride in their race, and believe that white people are just inherently racist. Its affected me in a way that I actually started having racist thoughts. Thoughts I don't want to be having. I began generalizing black people in my mind, and started thinking that "They're all just egotistical and want to believe that they have a right to be prideful about their race". I've started on a path of redemption though... I've come to realize that there are many black people who share the same opinion that I do, and just because the popular opinion of theirs is that they have a right to say things like "Black power" because black power isn't a slogan for oppressing white people, there are many black individuals that absolutely disagree with that opinion. I didn't realize that until recently. I've come to the conclusion that NO ONE should be proud of their race. Race isn't something we can control, its not something we can earn or achieve. I want to share a video in which one black individual (who happens to like metal himself) talks about the comments made by Phil Anselmo, and I encourage you to watch the full video. He states my new found beliefs, and best of all, he doesn't believe in the bullshit that is happening within the black community. He doesn't believe white privilege is a thing, he hates the Black Lives Matter movement, and he believes that black power is just as bad as white power, and that racial pride should be eliminated on BOTH sides. Not just white people, but black people too. In the Phil Anselmo retaliation video made by the guy from Machinehead, the guy from Machinehead basically said "Black people have a right to be proud of their race but white people don't because of oppression that happened years ago". He was wrong, and I'm extremely happy that I came across a black individual who thinks the same way as me. I encourage you to watch what he has to say, and really reflect on it. He has other brilliant videos where he stands up for white people as well if you are interested, but here is the metal related one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6NOElc7Zg

After thouroughly watching the video, lets have some conversation. Here is some of extra words on my opinion about racism in metal:

I think something many people in this community need to understand is that you cannot just say, "Oh he was just joking". That is bullshit, and I think that is a stupid way to think. Especially because if you bother to do any research, you would see that Phil has a HISTORY of racist comments and actions. Its not a one time thing. So to say it was part of a joke is idiotic. We are all fans of the music, but we DO need to be critical about assholes that happen to be making it. You can like Pantera and hold the belief that the lead singer is a fucking idiot at the same time. It doesn't mean you have to like the band less. Even songs that have racist/Nazi lyrics we can enjoy the music of, but at the same time, we have to have the courage to be able to understand that the writers are assholes, and not defend them simply because we love the music. Yes, the PC and Black Lives Matter movements are bullshit. You can call out racists in the metal community and at the same time NOT support those causes. Just like the individual in this video does and me. When it all comes down to it, racial pride on any side is a bad thing. Regarding racism in metal again... Yes. It has its place in metal. Metal has always been about freedom of expression. If we are to say that racist lyrics can't be in metal music, then we might as well say Satanism, songs about raping or killing women, and many other controversial topics can't be as well. Which isn't true. Its all allowed to exist within the totality of metal lyrics. Listen to whatever kind of lyrics you want, and enjoy them. But just realize, if you agree with those racist lyrics, then you are a fucking racist, and you need to own up to it. Don't dance around it and say things like "Phil was joking, people are blowing it out of proportion". Because if you do, you are implying that you yourself support the behaviors of a racist, and you need to be straight forward and just admit to that. Black power, white power, its all wrong, and we as a community need to be smarter, and have the courage to condemn the shitty beliefs of a person, while at the same time still have the ability to enjoy their music if you want to.

Thanks for hearing me out.

bad_american1992's picture

Oh no.... brace yourselves lads! I spy a shit-storm on the horizon.

judascrust's picture

complaining about mild racism like this - in the metal scene or anywhere - seems very trite in my opinion.

its kind of funny to me how white people get upset over stupid stuff like what phil anselmo did: "he said that!!! he's a racist - he's bad!!! I don't say that! i'm not a racist - I'm good!!!"
I think what upsets a lot of these people is that they're afraid THEY might be (a little bit) racist and feel they need to decry others' stupidity so they themselves can feel / look like a better person. equally of note is that a lot of people complaining about phil's actions are fans of his music so I'm sure there's a little of that guilt-by-association going on.

I don't feel offended by what phil anselmo did (tbh i found it mildly amusing - sorry) - despite his recent troubles (and I'm sure there's a wealth of obscure videos and interviews of him drunk or high on whatever doing or saying stupid shit similar to that) i don't believe a guy born and bred in new Orleans (and proud of it) - a place in which I'm sure a majority of its rich culture can be credited to blacks - is truly deeply racist or outwardly hateful towards other minorities.
saying mildly racist things or making racist jokes doesn't mean shit - the way i see it, we're all different, I'm sure we're all guilty of some form of racism at some point - its inevitable. I've laughed at racist jokes, I've made racist jokes - i also am quick to shit on myself and point out my own personal flaws for a laugh... there's no hatred in my heart. as long as no one's getting hurt i don't see any reason to make this big a stink over something as dumb as a drunk white guy yelling "white power" at a mostly white audience.

judascrust's picture

on a related note - i found robb Flynn's video response embarrassingly pandering and self important to a cringe-worthy degree

imfan1975's picture

Personally, I don't give a shit, I listen to some NSBM I just don't believe in the racism of the lyrics. The only reason everyone is suddenly giving a fuck about this bullshit is because of the white power salute Phil gave. Phil doesn't seem like much of a racist, just a white supremacist, which from my viewpoint is pretty stupid either way ( to think you are better because of the color of your skin/ ancestry ) honestly let's move on people we see this stuff in black metal all the time and when someone like Phil, who's been in a lot of well-respected bands does this, everybody shits on him. Just refer to how OSDM666 mentioned about Goatmoon.....

Kerry Draconis's picture

My personal opinion is that there's nothing wrong with having a certain pride in your race, however if it's in your mind that you have a deep seated hatred for other races then I guess that's where the problem come in, me myself being a brown/black person and listening to metal from about 10 years of age or so haave never really found a reason coming from bands or artists in the metal genre to go "oh these white guys are racist so lemme just stop listening to their music" .. yes I guess in every race there are the racists but it's always good to keep focused on ppl who doesn't carry around such negative values within them, I have had some experiences in the past when I really hated the way I look simply because of how I was treated because of my race/skin color, but as time went on I realised not all white folks carry such shallow opinions of everyone. I don't think anyone has had the opportunity to choose what race they are and punishing ppl for that is just plain out ignorant and idiotic, I respect people as they respect me no matter what race, if you're a dickhead and act towards me like a dickhead for no reason then get the hell away from me. There are a lot of bands that I've only heard were racists but have no actual proof of it, and if the day comes where I meet band members from my fav bands and they act in such a way with me I'll simply stop listening to their music and supporting them and move on with my life.

SHREDDER S47's picture

Thank you for commenting. Its good to see a person of color in the metal community's opinion on the matter

Chainbreaker's picture

I agree with the fact you’re stating that noone should take pride in their race. I for one take no pride in mine (me being white). But I’m just so fed up and tired of political correctness and people being scared to be called racists. We are all so worried about being called racists that we are so fucking scared to act when people of a different race do something that’s just fucked up. On Newyear’s Eve there were lots of girls raped and groped in plain sight in Köln by (Syrian) refugees. What to we do? We track the offenders down only to let them go again, scared of being called a racist and scared of these people. We say “ah, it’s the girls own fault, they shouldn’t have dressed so sexy”, “These people are mountain-dwelling folk, they’ve never seen a woman dressed in such a way, it’s normal that they rape girls, let’s give them all a proper sexual education and the problem will be solved”. WTF????!

SHREDDER S47's picture

Absolutely dude. I agree with every goddamn word you said. The PC bullshit is ruining countries around the world, and that is why i'm speaking up. I hate PC, BLM, and i'm tired of being called a racist because of that. Syrian refugee apologists are among the most idiotic people on earth. The super liberals who defend them are rediculous. Theyre so quick to condemn rape in America and claim we have a rape culture here while there is a REAL fucking rape culture with Syrians, yet theyre like "Oh but we have to keep in mind that they are not used to seeing women with revealing clothes." Fucking pussy apologists. Syrians better get fucking used to it if theyre gonna live in another country. There is NO exception

SHREDDER S47's picture

You should check out this video which shows how rediculous liberal PC media is about Syrain refugees. Its a fucking awesome video:

http://youtu.be/HekcKRNTV90

Chainbreaker's picture

Hey man, thanks for the support. I just watched about 10 minutes of the video and that's so fuckin' hilarious!:-)
But I can't watch these kinda things for long, I don't even follow the news anymore, because it all makes me feel so fuckin' powerless. There is nothing we as individuals can do. We can bitch and moan all we want, but nothing changes. Politicians turn a blind eye. Voting doesn't change a thing. We are worried about wearing this or that patch on our vest to express our individuality, while they are fuckin' getting organised in groups.

vikingdantheman's picture

How confused must Pandas feel.
They're Black, White and Asian ;)>

Plague's picture

I dont think racial pride is what ppl should focus on...instead they should embrace cultural pride. I think most ppl find different CULTURES interesting and would be willing to appreciate other ppl's beliefs, practices, and lifestyles. Culture is different from race. Ppl focus on the wrong one. Race doesnt matter for shit.

SHREDDER S47's picture

Totally agree. I find no problem in embracing cultural pride. Being prideful about your skin is totally different. Thanks for the comment bro! \m/

Chainbreaker's picture

So, I'm curious, what are you so proud of, regarding your culture?

SHREDDER S47's picture

I'm proud of the fact that people in my country have a higher degree of freedom than say, Syria, who oppress their women and shit. At the same time, I'm not proud of PC culture that people are obnoxiously embracing to the point where no matter what you say, someone will find it offensive, so you have to be super careful about what you say. Just like those I say that's bullshit.

Plague's picture

Well, for one, the food...im part Italian so i take pride in that. All cultures have a food that is awesome. I really like the religious aspects of Asian culture. I enjoy seeing African dance too. So, culturally these are some things ppl could be proud of vs their skin color.

SHREDDER S47's picture

I'm proud of the fact that we have a higher degree of freedom in my country than say, Syria, who oppress their women and shit. I'm not proud of the PC culture that exists here though. People are to afraid to speak the truth about things like Syrians raping the Germans. People in the media will address it, but try to be as non-offensive about it as possible to the point where it sounds like they are defending them. Just so they don't lose fucking viewers. Its super obnoxious. I'm also not proud of the fact that we don't have universal healthcare benefits like every other fucking leading country in the world. We have too much greed to the point where we are the last leading country with this shitty expensive form of healthcare that screws over the middle class.

SHREDDER S47's picture

On a more positive note, I'm proud that you can find so much culture here just by going state to state. You can find a section of culture from anywhere in the world in America

SHREDDER S47's picture

In the media here, its perfectly acceptable to make fun of Kim Kardashian's ass, but apparently we are not allowed to make fun of her step father's tits. lol

Chainbreaker's picture

Yeah, but in the meantime we are torturing and force-feeding animals just to produce a cheaper burger. (I'm a meat-eater so just as hypocrite as everybody else btw). I'm just proud of my own actions (sometimes;-)) and don't take pride in much else.

SHREDDER S47's picture

As someone who loves animals, I agree. I wish people could be more humane. Of course, I'm not gonna become vegan and shit, because I love meat. Unfortunately I have no way to fix that problem. Hell, Lavey's satanic bible is against animal cruelty even.

Plague's picture

Agree with both of u about animals. Wish we were more humane. I tried staying away from meat but couldnt do it for long. I respect those who can. And there should def be more harsher laws for animal cruelty. Seeing things on the news about dog fighting or mutilating animals turns my stomach and makes my blood boil!!!

Chainbreaker's picture

Yeah, just saying, take pride in yourself, not in identifying with some group.

SHREDDER S47's picture

Nothing wrong with self pride either. I'm glad we share these same opinions :)

Plague's picture

Self pride is a must!

Chainbreaker's picture

Yes, absolutely, me too!

SHREDDER S47's picture

The guy I'm championing came out with a new video regarding racism and metal where he also further discusses topics such as the rediculous Black Lives Matter movement and Beyonce's rediculous super bowl performance. Here's the clip:
http://youtu.be/lYLTkcCv2KE

DevilzForce's picture

I'm white. I get to be proud of the accomplishments of my race no matter the color of my skin. Real problem here is P.C....

Heinz's picture

I firmly respect others' rights to their opinion, whatever it is or whether I agree or not. And would hope others would extend the same to me. That said, I'm not into blatantly racist lyrics, but I don't let the artists' personal views dictate what I listen to either. Like Burzum, for example. If I'm relaxing at night to the ambient Hlidskjalf, I'm not thinking "oh, but Varg is racist"... I'm just enjoying the music.

Beorn's picture

For the most part I agree with you, however I am perfectly capable of listening to music whose artists I absolutely do not agree with, Burzum being a perfect example. Hell, I even listen to some christian metal. All on the down-low, of course. I'd also argue that it's perfectly fine to be proud of your race. Your race is a natural part of who you are, and I think everyone should embrace that. It doesn't mean you're in any way shape or form BETTER than anyone else, or that you somehow deserve special treatment for it, either bad or good, but I think pride is not only justifiable, but commendable. I, for example, take great pride in knowing that my ancestors were celts and vikings. That doesn't mean anyone who doesn't descent from celts or vikings are somehow "worse" than I am. We shouldn't divide over race, nor should we be so afraid to come off as racist that we have to censor ourselves. A healthy dose of respect and tolerance, both for ourselves and everyone else, and we should be good to go.

SHREDDER S47's picture

That's a pretty good view, man. Thanks for sharing. My only problem with people having pride is that there has to be a standard across all races. I'm just tired of the black community shoving it down my throat every day in the media, while white people are virtually never allowed to show any pride. Which is why I think it should just be eliminated on both sides so that I don't have to see that unfairness all the time. But I think your view is positive in theory, but I just wish the double standards would end first. Know what I mean?

Beorn's picture

I do, absolutely. But I'd rather we both be proud than neither, you know? I don't really take problem with a black person being proud that they're black, as long as they don't think that makes them better somehow. Same with any other race, really.

568,592 items in the gallery, 881,079 comments, and 550 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments