TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

A question I have for fans of Black Metal.

Joel
Tue, 19/01/2016 - 20:00

Are any of you able to have a sense of humor about Black Metal at all? I guess Black Metal is known as the most serious style of Metal, but I'm wondering if any of you are able to laugh at at least some of the absurdities of Black/Folk/Pagan/Viking Metal from time to time. I love a fair amount of Black Metal too, but being able to laugh at one's self on occasion is a sign of maturity.

Heinz's picture

I recall driving somewhere with my daughter when she was about 8 and listening to Forgotten Woods. Every time singing (screaming?) came on, she'd sing back with what she thought she'd heard, and I got to laughing pretty hard. "I WANT MY MUFFIN SPROUT!!!" So, yeah, kinda sometimes I guess.

Joel's picture

I want my muffin sprout? Haha...

judascrust's picture

how can anyone not have a sense of humor about black metal haha I enjoy many black metal bands and as a fan I understand the immense power it holds as an art form for expressing the darker side of life....but even as a fan I am able to step back and see it through the eyes of a person who may be unfamiliar with the style, and a lot of its eccentricities do indeed come off as pure silliness; i think most fans can see it this way as well.

Joel's picture

The first time I ever listened to Tara and Nightside I remember listening to Ihsahn's vocals and reading Proscriptor's lyrics and thinking "What in the hell am I listening to and reading?". Keep in mind, this was coming from a fan of those albums!

VoodooChild's picture
Joel's picture

Some goofy sounding riffs in there.

Plague's picture

I mostly take bm seriously, especially when the band is addressing a serious theme, but there are some bands that are all about the image and those i can take lightly.

Snerk666's picture

Music is amazing and the people who play it are often hillarious. What more to ask fore?

SHREDDER S47's picture

In the words of Lemmy: "You know the main thing in life? A sense of humor". I love black metal, but I'm also able to make fun of it when I want to. When it comes down to it, It's all about the music, so these things really shouldn't be taken TOO seriously. I'd never hang out with someone who was seriously just doomy and gloomy all the time. And I think a lot of those bands that claim to be all doomy and depressed are actually putting on acts most of the time. Behind the charade, they probably like to have fun just like anybody. It's all fantasy and fun to me

Joel's picture

Rest in Peace Mr. Kilmister. Yeah, absolutely. I'm with you 100%.

Vomitus's picture

that's cool. the Lemmy quote, I mean.

Nater90's picture

I fucking love Black Metal, But at times I do have a laugh, When someone fucks up and burns food I say it's burnt like a Norwegian Church.

No matter the genre / situation, You always need to have a good laugh each day.

Joel's picture
Nater90's picture

Haha some good ones.

PForx's picture

I love black metal, but it is fucking hilarious. Especially the super serious fans who get pissed when i find it hilarious.

Joel's picture

I know which types of people you're talking about. Fuck 'em.

PForx's picture

I just think they're funny.

Blüdrayne's picture

No I don't.

Joel's picture

Fair enough.

Stathis's picture

I was laughing my ass off when I first saw Immortal's The call of Wintermoon video and Abbath in his wig (he had short hair when they shot the video and ended up wearing a wig) ages ago.
Master's Hammer also looked pretty funny to me when I first saw them in a VHS tape although their music is fucking awesome.

Black metal is a very theatrical music and as a result some bands appear completely ridiculous and most of the good old bands had a good sense of humor as well or at least the ones I've talked to.

Joel's picture

Ah, the legendary Call of the Wintermoon. You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLXp0_NzF4w

Also, I'm assuming this is the MH video you're talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG-z1IylZF0

I'm sure Abbath and Franta Storm can laugh at themselves when they watch those old videos. I laugh at both and I'm a fan of DFM and Ritual! My copy of Thy Mighty Contract says on the insert "BLACK METAL IS JUST OUR LIFE, OUR DEEP OCCULT CULT, AGAINST ALL TRENDIES". Really? Well, alright then! You guys still made one hell of a classic album.

Part's of Black Metal's overall image seem like they're a drastic mutation of what Alice Cooper was doing over forty years ago. I don't know if you agree with me, but that's what I believe.

Stathis's picture

hehe yea, I think even Alice Cooper has said that himself

Joel's picture

Going back to Immortal, that video for Call of the Wintermoon will NEVER get old. What is up with the Wicked Witch of the West hat?

vomitoxic's picture

I do like black metal a lot and hell yeah I laugh at it all the time haha! There is so much of those little "WTF is going on here?!"-things and come on those poses for promopics etc. Beyond the music the genre in its self is kinda joke-ish.

Then again. I dont take too much stuff too seriously anyway haha!

Joel's picture

Just take a look at this infamous pic of Rob from Graveland:

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/cuellos/media/4obm9.jpg.html

There is no fucking way in Hell he's for real with an outfit like that, haha.

Joel's picture

Yes it is.

nameless_rites's picture

I take the art of it seriously but of course certain elements are funny.
When looking at the ridiculous photos (early Immortal, Graveland etc) I try to keep in mind that a lot of this came about as a reaction against underground metal getting more exposure; i.e. they were deliberately trying to "scare away" blockheads of more mainstream sensibilities by dressing up as Vikings, Nazis, elves or whatever.

If you make great music, you can dress however the fuck you want.

Stormblast's picture

I really hate when people make fun about black metal stereotypes all day long. I can't laugh about stuff like 'The Black Satans'. It's just the same shit over years and years. And for me it's just a disrespectful way to make fun about something I really like. I like the black metal movement with all the goofy stuff like corpsepaint, bad sound and so on. Without riding the trve-train or taking black metal too serious.
I can laugh about song names, weird stage performances, silly pictures and so on. Just stuff that are kinda funny, for everyone with that sense of humor. But I can't laugh when people make fun of the whole black metal scene.

Joel's picture

"But I can't laugh when people make fun of the whole black metal genre".

Don't take it the wrong way. That's not what I'm doing at all. If you looked at my profile, you would see that I enjoy a moderate amount of Black Metal. I'm working on a Black Metal vest at the moment, but I'm still able to grin at some of the more outrageous things I've come across in this genre, that's all.

Stormblast's picture

Don't worry, that's just my point of view to the whole fun thing in general. Not a direct answer to your request.

Joel's picture

Got it.

VoodooChild's picture

+1

I can't understand how someone finds something like "the Black Satans" even remotely funny.
Personally I can't stand them.

Joel's picture

I just finished listening to The Mutilation of Christ on YouTube. That wasn't even funny, it was just stupid. It's not even clever satire.

Metalmate's picture

No form of metal should ever be taken too serious. I mean seriously...

Joel's picture

I think you've gotta examine the entire picture band by band.

THMManiac's picture

I dont laugh at the music very much, the bands I like usually fill me with lots of empowerment that almost starts up from my stomach and turns into shivers and spontaneous body movements and goosebumps. Its a wonderful thing! Of course the visual aspect, Ex. crabwalking in the woods can look quite funny!

But ill be the guy to take this thread in a new direction. I rarely laugh at the music, but THE SCENE. MY GOD. Actually, its very easy for me to tell which people are being sarcastic when it comes to the "Trve Metal!" stuff. I usually take sides with those people who are just trying to piss off and mess around with the pacifists who get super angry and usually defend themselves with some completely obvious stuff along the lines of "METAL IS FOR EVERYBODY U CANT SAY THAT" those are very funny and Very common circumstances for me to be in. BUT whenever one of these people comes along around black metal that is like "Music for White people!" and are actually, full on, 100% trying to pull off some macho shit. Ill just sit back and let the joke tell itself. now that is truly funny!

I have no problem just chillin with my cat, eating some real sugary sweet cereal, listening to some conqueror or Emperor. I don't feel the need to overcompensate so I find it very easy to laugh, and make jokes. Just smile at all the stupid over the top stuff you see. life tends to be a whole lot smoother and happier when your not out there trying so hard, and getting angry. trying to "eliminate the weak out of black metal" LOL

nwobhmbanger's picture

Dark humor.

R.J.'s picture

Like eschaton said above, black metal has been deeply rooted in religious satire and parody from the beginning. Just look at bands like Grand Belial's Key, Profanatica, or even groups like Deathspell Omega or Funeral Mist that make their criticism a little less obvious. They take religious themes and highlight some of their most ridiculous aspects, desecrate their most respected icons, and twist the meaning of religious terms and phrases. How hypocritical is it to fully support this sort of disrespect towards another culture, and then turn around and get upset with the same thing when it's directed towards you? I think Vegan Black Metal Chef is pure shit, but this has nothing to do with the content being upsetting to me. If a parody offers a genuine criticism, it would be close-minded to disregard the message just because it hurts your feelings. That being said, the majority of black metal parody is just lowbrow humor and is unfunny regardless of whether it's offensive or not. It's easy to point out how ridiculous it is for a grown man to wear facepaint, but it doesn't contain any real insight. Occasionally you'll come across something like the Bestial Avenger comics or the Angry Black Metal Elitist blog that are both funny and insightful. Most of the time it's just stupid image macros about burning churches or some variation of black metal ist krieg.

Kerry Draconis's picture

Man I love my Black Metal genre and always do have a laugh about BM memes on facebook or any other stuff with my buddies who which none of them are really into the genre, I never understood the Ghaal followers and all the butthurt they carry around about it, me personally the key in life when it's time to sit back and relax is having a good laugh, like you know I don't want to be suffering from impotency at an early age :p

vomitoxic's picture

I just gotta post this one here. Taake has these funny as fuck-parts in their music. This one is nice song but it gets really weird at 3:18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwHtKmu-fg
How can you not laught about that?
Or this one from Taake as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjkt7yCf0nU here we go after 3:00.

Joel's picture

A hillbilly hoedown and the classic penis popping sound effect! Nice! The latter goes perfectly with this classic photo:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KvH8eRZ7h44/Tn8l8Ip2HkI/AAAAAAAAAtg/oJFkmeeT28...

Heinz's picture

I gotta add a Taake LS to the herd, now having heard that! Gotta respect that.

toxik's picture

I like Black metal but most of the scene and almost everything around it is a joke to me (most of the jokes i crack with the black metal bands under my label are about black metal)

toxik's picture
Nater90's picture

Hahahaha :') priceless.

pan_in_ithyphallic_mirth's picture

I think yes there is something humorous about black metal. At the same time I dont want to play down the aura of intense aestheticism and strictness it radiates. The genres intense seriousness and rigid styles can be utterly absurd because spiritually black metal is not of this world, it aspires to be against this world. So therefore, it will never look right or make sense in your average everyday life.

That being said. There are moments where the tropes of black metal are humorous and or campy because they cannot possibly fit to daily life. They are clownish and even silly. But you knows sometimes, actually many times, I just want to adopt that absurd reactionist, and stoic black metal aura and escape or reject the banality and normalcy that can infect daily life. In a way its a kind of cleansing or a hermitage. It reminds me never to think that death isn't around the corner, to aspire for something otherworldly, to not fear the dark side of nature, and to never be happy with the distractions and systems of human society that snuff the rebellious spirit.

Plague's picture

Well said!

Claudandus's picture

Yes, a person without any sense of self-irony is a pretty poor human being. It's important to take the music seriously, but it's equally important not to get militant about it. Personally, I'm sick and tired of Watain worshiping, chestbeating man-children puking their guts out on forums because Band X doesn't fit their standards of what black metal should be. I get the impression that the ideology, appearance and credentials of a band matters more than the actual music. Witch is just sad as fuck. If you can't enjoy a band on purely musical grounds, but feel that you need to check out if they are "legit" it's probably not the music you're interested in anyways. It's almost like a reversed sort of puritanism, "Yeah the band makes awesome music, but I better look into them a bit to se if they're "okay" for me to listen to".

I take black metal as an art form seriously, but the reactionary attitude of some bands and fans(witch in my opinion goes totally against the rebellious nature witch made the genre interesting in the first place) is impossible not to laugh at from time to time.

Joel's picture

Awesomely put. I agree with you fully.

Beorn's picture

I have a sense of humor about it as long as I am not currently playing :P
On that note though, have a look at "The Black Satans" https://youtu.be/Nh8CfWEnSJ8

579,099 items in the gallery, 884,283 comments, and 671 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments