TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > Social - Meetups / Gigs etc

Metal Alliance- Chicago Illinois-BEHEMOTH, Goatwhore, 1349, Inquisition

Castiel
Thu, 13/03/2014 - 03:45

So who's going to Metal Alliance this year in Chicago ? perhaps we can meet up

Date: 
Friday, April 25, 2014
US Minor Outlying Islands
Who is going?
No one yet, ;'( Be the first!
Are you attending?

VoiceOfTheSoul's picture

Apparently everyone is too goood for Kansas this year.

joecubbie's picture

Too bad I don't care for this year's lineup much or I'd go. If last years show was all ages (Anthrax, Exodus, High on Fire, Municipal Waste, Holy Grail), then damn right I'd be there. But HoB is ran by a bunch of fucking morons who make all of the shows I wanna see 18+.

VoiceOfTheSoul's picture

Too black metal, eh? Nicht sehr krieg... nicht sehr krieg... :P

joecubbie's picture

In all honesty, I really don't care for "modern" black metal (Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Behemoth). The most "modern" black metal band I'll listen too is Summoning and that's because I enjoy their atmospheric aspect. Other then that, I prefer old school stuff. Mayhem, Burzum, Ulver, Emperor, Darkthrone. Celtic Frost, Bathory, Venom, and my all time fave black metal, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond

VoiceOfTheSoul's picture

I think you need a better term besides "Modern" haha all of these "modern" bands you list date back to the early 90's. I'm assuming you mean "sell-out black metal." But honestly there's so much stuff out now that's in the same vein of that 2nd Wave Norwegian sound that I find it hard to believe you haven't found any modern Black metal bands you like.

I'd mostly be there for Inquisition though, good music and only two guys playing it, I'd imagine that's an interesting show.

joecubbie's picture

Well in that case, I guess there are "modern" black metal bands I may enjoy haha. I must check them out. I do like Dimmu Borgir's version of "Burn in Hell" by Twisted Sister but that's about it. Haven't heard much Goatwhore to form an opinion. Don't like Behemoth that much or 1349. Never heard of Inquisition. And now that I think of it...I do enjoy Midnight very much so there's one modern black metal band (yeah they're a bit thrash too but whatever)

joecubbie's picture

Also like Toxic Holocaust (blackened thrash?) and some Nachtmysitum

joecubbie's picture

AND...my friend Frank's band. They're called Polyptych. They just finished recording their record at Morrisound and I'd best describe them as technical black metal...here's their Bandcamp: http://polyptych.bandcamp.com/

VoiceOfTheSoul's picture

Inquisition is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-OCuSnGnY

Goatwhore and 1349 I haven't listened much to either. I like the Behemoth stuff before they started doing Black/Death. Grom is a good album. Midnight is good too, but I wouldn't call them black metal at all, more like Black 'n' roll or metal/punk or something of the sort.

There's a lot of good black/thrash out there, (which I personally like more than Toxic Holocaust). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqZCyH_jlg (NSFW album artwork btw)

I like a lot of stuff that is a bit different from the typical early 90's sound though. (Depressive as well as Doom and Death hybrids)

Forgotten Woods, Inquisition, Katharsis, Satanic Warmaster, The Ruins of Beverast(Doom), Mgla, Urfaust (Doom), Bölzer (Death) are some that I really like that I thought I'd just throw out there. - They're all pretty different from each other.

After typing this up I was honestly surprised by how little black metal I know of hahaha.

Castiel's picture

What's even more bullshit is the fact that I couldn't get into Amon Amarth, because my passport was expired. I mean what difference does it make if my passport is expired or not, It shows my name and DOB.

joecubbie's picture

I swear if I had a dollar for every asshole story I've heard about HoB, I'd have at least $5 by now lol. Fuck HoB, their shitty staff, and their age limitations

thrashing_death's picture

Their staff is so nice down here in Anaheim. They let me in the show early cause I had a broken foot at the time so I snagged a spot up front and got to meet Tony from MW without needing VIP :)

And they've let me slide using an old high school ID before so that was awesome. Only thing that sucks is it doesn't get a lot of metal shows :(

thrashing_death's picture

I would mainly go for Behemoth.

Goatwhore was kinda boring when I saw them. Well being in a cast and the shitty crowd maybe attributed to that, but still.

Inquisition doesn't sound too bad from the link that VOTS posted.

And haven't listened to 1349 so can't really say anything about them.

VoiceOfTheSoul's picture

Psssh, Inquisition is the best band on this tour ;)

http://youtu.be/uEuBcEs3Ymw?t=1m54s

slayerslayer's picture

fucking awesome lineup! goatwhore 1349 inquisition. . behemoth, yeah well i'd see em i suppose if i was there , if i was where ? midway island? ,somewhere in the aleutian strait? where is this gig? hawaii?

slayerslayer's picture

satire- oh hang on ! this is in chicago , the city of no metal stores , no metal people and full of hipsters( according to another thread ) , and yet 3 out of 4 touring BM giants in the world decide to play there . get your shit together folks, evil in the form of metal is comin to chicago