TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Let´s talk about shirt prices at shows....

Doktor Kananga
Tue, 01/12/2015 - 10:02

During the last couple of weeks I went to see Slayer + Anthrax in Bochum, Ghost in Cologne and Motörhead with Saxon + Girlschool in Düsseldorf.
All bands charged 35 € for a tour shirt.
Let this sink in for a moment: Thirtyfive Euros for a printed FOTL-Value-weight.

That´s a price tag I only knew from Black Sabbath and AC/DC in the past.
While I doubt that it was the idea of Anthrax, Saxon or Girlschool to charge that much (my guess is they had to match the price of the headliner) I can´t understand where this price comes from.
I mean esp. Ghost: Is this band already a living legend with three records under the belt?

Is there a shirt-mafia-thing going on that shirt prices are 35 € at all these shows? ;-)
I passed at all these shows, but I´m already shivering when I think of the upcoming Maiden-Tour....

Any ideas or comments?

Doktor Kananga's picture

True that. But wouldn´t it then make more sense to sell your merch for a more affortable (let´s say) 25 bucks to sell more (convince the sceptics) and make more money at the end of the day?

vomitoxic's picture

Making more shirts and shipping more shirt costs more money so it would be +-0 situation kinda.
Lets say you sell 100 shirts for 35€ so you make 3500€. You would need to sell 140 shirts for 25€ to make the same money so it would be one box more to ship and cost somewhere around 15€ per box to ship.

Doktor Kananga's picture

Well, he lasted 80 minutes but was barely hear-able...
:-):-):-)

Doktor Kananga's picture

Sidenote from the Ghost gig:
While introducing "Mummy Dust" Papa said that this song is about the god of Mammon.
Somebody from the crowd screamed: "Sell your shirts cheaper!"

:-)

Nater90's picture

Most international bands charge around $40-50 Australian dollars for a t shirt, $75 or so for a hoodie.

If I like a design, I buy it, If the designs are awful, I don't.

When I go to gigs I really like to get tour posters & I need to back track and get a few I forgot to get.

But like Doc said, It all adds up and costs a lot to tour.

Manowar want $1,000,000 to play in Australia, Do you think there is justice in that?

I support the bands I love through CDs, Patches, Shirts, I'm only one man, But everything adds up in due time.

Doktor Kananga's picture

I was curious and checked the currency exchange rate.
40 AUD - 27,53 €
50 AUD - 34,41 €
75 AUD - 51,61 €

;-)

Considering Manowar: They charge 81 € admission for the gig in Düsseldorf on Jan 30th.
Since I´m not a die-hard Manowarrior that price absolutely makes no sense for me but on the other hand I just shelled out 85 € for Iron Maiden in Berlin.....

Nater90's picture

We should all use the same currency worldwide.

Doktor Kananga's picture

Yuan all the way!
;-);-);-)

Nater90's picture

Haha sounds good mate.

Doesn't worry me, All spends the same!

nameless_rites's picture

Holy shit; last time I saw Manowar was in 2002. It was $20 USD, and the support act was fucking Immortal.

This is why I don't really go to shows anymore I guess...

Nater90's picture

I know, The world gets to see them and I sit here wondering what the fuck.

I only brought two albums because they pissed me off a bit...

exumer_09's picture

Lately, alot of bands have been bumping up there prices!! I steered away from merch tables at a lot of shows ive been to lately. I understand that merch sales help with everything as Doc said, but i remember when i would leave shows with 4 shirts at a time... Now for what i used to spend im lucky to get 2 shirts and quailty of the designs seem to simple... The more bands drop prices the better they would be selling.... look at BT shirts $10-15 each and honestly the best quailty printing ive come across! Plus low prices selling by the truckloads, bands should use that method over the price. Raise method!

invisible-horizons's picture

I totally agree with you. When I saw them in 2010, they were selling shirts for $10. They set the example of how shirt prices are handled. They also sold out of most of their merch because of this.

Doktor Kananga's picture

I have a hard time to invision bands like Grave and Malevolent Creation selling their shirts for 35 €.
That´s why I am so dissapointed with Ghost. Granted, they are the bigger band....but still.....

invisible-horizons's picture

Really? That much for a Ghost shirt? That makes me dislike them even more. If you ask me, they are overrated.

gizter's picture

thats way to much..
a little while ago at Bloodshed fest we made jokes about how Crude SS their shirts said ''destroy capitalism'' while they where 16 euros. on wich we all agreed was too expensive..

Demolition_hell_hammer's picture

I was in the concert of Ghost this monday and I could see a shirt in the merchandising for 40€ hahahahaha..

R.J.'s picture

I'm pretty sure a lot of the larger venues take a cut of the merch sales. This probably partially explains the ridiculous prices.

xenokrist_97's picture

Usually at whatever shows I go to, it'll be the usual $20-25, some for $15 if you're lucky, and $40 for hoodies
I always hear of bands like Children of Bodom charging a bit more, usually $30 or so, and if that's true, that may deter me from their table
However I wince when I think about how expensive they're gonna be at the Tool show in January... probably a good $35-40 a pop, but I suppose I understand

While we're in this discussion though, how much do y'all think all-over prints should be at shows? I remember seeing a Behemoth - The Satanist one during the Metal Alliance tour last year and they charged $50 for it, but supposedly their reasoning was that it was a Polish import. I personally thought it was a bit too expensive, and what really got me thinking about it was that exactly two months later I saw Meshuggah on their 25 year anniversary tour and they had their all-over shirts (which really were tie-dyes but essentially the same shit) for only $30. Any thoughts on that?

joecubbie's picture

Merch prices are ridiculous. I usually only get tour shirts if I have disposable income on me. King Diamond shirts this past weekend were $40 each. I think Exodus may have been a bit cheaper ($30?) but still. It's crazy that shirts can be as much, if not more, than tickets themselves these days.

Vombatus's picture

Totally agree about Ghost.... The merch price for their current tour is just stupid. Charged 30euros for shirts, vinyl and even for a fucking cap! Why would I buy any at the show if I can get it cheaper elsewhere?
Sure the band is shaping up to be the next big thing, but c'mon, wait a while more till it's official :D

I refuse to pay more than 20euros for a shirt or a vinyl (unless it's special edt. or good DLP or something...).

R.J.'s picture

NEXT big thing? They're fucking huge already. Meliora reached #8 on the Billboard 200. For comparison, Motorhead's latest album only reached #35 and the Scorpions only reached #65.

Doktor Kananga's picture

And even with all the Chart-Success Ghost did NOT sell out Club show in advance with ticket prices sitting around 28 € in Cologne...
It´s odd to charge 28 € admission and 35 € for a Tourshirt.

Vombatus's picture

Agree they are huge, growing very fast. But to get to the level of "big things" like Slayer or Megadeth they have a long way to go (won't even mention heavyweights à la Maiden, miles away).
Billboard chart might be an indicator, but their ticket prices are pretty much like any other international band touring (around 25euros) and they don't manage to sell out shows in venues that the bands mentioned above do regularly. So I guess charging 30-40 euros for a shirt is unjustified for a band like Ghost.

whiteravenmetal's picture

This is fucking stupid, bought official Satan and Blitzkrieg shirts at their gigs this year for like $12 usd each.

judascrust's picture

I'm sure the venues want a cut of the merch money too so that probably drives the prices up a bit.

hector.kirkwood@gmail.com's picture

Most big venues take a cut which is pretty shitty but seems to be the done thing these days, also if a big band has shirts for 35Euros then the opening band has to sell their shirts for the same cost or they aren't allowed to sell them - it makes the headliners look bad.

I have seen gigs where the openers were selling their shirts on the quiet outside for half the price, genius :)

I used to work for a t-shirt printers so I know they really do cost fuck all, to print 100 shirts that are 2 color front & back they will be 8Euros, maybe 9, if you go for just the front print on one color on a basic shirt you can get them for 5Euros or less.

nuclearthrasher666's picture

35 euros for a band t-shirt ??? That's more expensive that the ticket ! Personaly I dont give a fuck of how big and succesfull a band is (yes even for bands like Slayer,Metallica,Iron maiden etc) there is no excusse for such high prices. Yes I agree with all the arguments that are mentioned above ( veniue cuts, shipping cost etc) but still. All those things existed in the past but the prices were more resonable. I see no reason to support such greed.

loathe's picture

as long as there are idiots buying shirts for €35 or more, they won't reduce the prices. my personal maximum is €20. went to the Deathcrusher Tour lately, where Napalm Death sold their shirts for €15 (which is pretty cool, for a rather big metal band), Carcass and the others for €20. sure, you can't compare Napalm Death or Bolt Thrower with bands like Slayer or Iron Maiden, but they are fucking classic bands, and still sell their merch for cheap!! so I guess it's all about the band's attitude (means having a punk/crust background), and I totally support that!

gizter's picture

my limit is 15 euro. i've seen underground bands sell shirts for 5 euro too, cant say no to that.
i wouln't ever ever think of buying a 30+ euro shirt at a gig. but luckily never seen that anyway..

overkill386's picture

i dont mind buying shirts,patches,posters,hats,pins,jerseys etc from 25-0 dollars since i support the band and get something to remember the show by. the only thing that pisses me off is that most of the time the band shirts are crap. simple shirt and color design and they rarely have anything youd see worth your money. i always find myself getting a bootleg shirt outside for 5 bux lol with a better design.

HERBROCKS's picture

Lol I remember in the 80s when bands upped their price from $10 to $12 and we all screamed ripoff!!

Doktor Kananga's picture

On the US-Leg of the Book of Souls Tour Maiden charge 40 $ for a shirt and 100 for a Hoodie.
XXL and above is 5 $ more.....
Bullshit!

Turkey-man's picture

I'm going to Eluveitie and hope the t-shirt prices will be reasonable (less than $20).

xenokrist_97's picture

I've seen them once and i got my shirt for $25

Greaserjlg's picture

Every gig that I've been to that's at a bigger venue than your moms basement you'd be lucky to find anything on the merch table for under 20$. I'm astonished when shirts are under the 40$ mark. It's bullshit, but what can you do. Obituary and cannibal sold their shirts for 20$ a pop on their tour, while Slayer, Testament and Carcass charged 50+ dollars for their shirts. Really just comes down to the band.

DeathInFire's picture

i saw slayer the other day at the house of blues in boston and their prices were real bogus. $40 a shirt? $15 for a patch? not a back patch but a smal square patch. testament and carcass had the same prices for their shirts. last time i saw testament, i bought two of their shirts for $25 a pop. now, i could buy one with a few bucks left over for a hot dog, haha.

Claudandus's picture

Here in Sweden the prices still are pretty humane. But they're staring to go up. When I saw Blues Pills they charged 25€ for a singe sided tshirt. A bit pricey but not ridiculously so. And at Entombed last weekend they wanted 20€ for a shirt. I rarely attend bigger events simply for monetary reasons. So I've never seen a shirt cost more than 10-25€. But I recall at Mörkaste Småland 2015, Dark Funeral took 9€ for a fucking 7", That's about twice what I'd ever pay for a brand new single.
I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to the merch table though, I just have to buy something so I'm glad the prices are still within my league here. It all depends on the band. I'd gladly cough up 40€ for a King Diamond shirt(as I said, I'm a sucker), but if it where say Behemoth, no fucking way.

Wolves_Of_Hades's picture

I honestly think some bands can get away with asking some more than usual for a shirt, but 25EU is really the maximum for me.. especially when you know how CHEAP the shirts are that they make. gilian heavy cotton, 4 colour print with waterbased inkt is like 5EU per shirt, 10EU+ per longsleeve and 10EU per Baseball as well. so the most fair seems to me for underground bands to aks 10/12EU per shirt and 15/20EU for a longsleeve or baseball. but this is all depending on what brand shirt it is, if it's multiple colours, type inkt etc.

overkill386's picture

I've noticed the merch prices go up to 35 a shirt depending on the band. Now I wouldn't mind paying such price for a shirt I'll take as a memory of a good show....BUT! The fucking shirt designs now adays are fucking horrible! Like put a little effort in making decent merch. I've seen mainly logo shirts or one color shirts. Now I prefer getting bootleg shirts off ebeay or vendors outside selling bootleg shirts that are actually more better than the official ones you see inside. Example would be slayer. At there show all the shirts where the well known iron eagle in a gray color or the "slayer nation" shirt for 30 bux. Im walking outside and some guy is selling "bootleg tour shirts" which had the dates and location on the back and had full color album artwork in the front for 10 bux. There were 3 people helping the guy sell the shirts and they completely sold out everyone of em meanwhile the merch booth inside was still overstocked. I just think they should put more effort in the merch and have something going like they did before with the 80s tour shirts, very colorful well designed, and exclusive concert design shirts and I'll throw my wallet at them and go broke haha. CDs I still buy at shows though..,..I'll support only in that way at the booth....just the shirts that bother me

576,765 items in the gallery, 883,567 comments, and 653 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments