TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > TShirt Talk

Identifying Bootleg Shirts - Advice Anyone?

Dr. Fill
Sat, 06/09/2014 - 02:32

Hi There Fellow TSSr's,

I am positive that there is already a topic on this somewhere on the site, so I apologize to the OS guys on here, but I need some advice. I recently bought quite a few shirts online (ebay) and was disappointed although not completely surprised to discover most if not all of them are (or appear to be) bootleg shirts. So, some questions:

1. Who, besides a band or their label, prints shirts that are legit? Having been in more bands then I have digits, I am guessing the answer is NO ONE, however I am wondering if in some out-of-the-way areas shirts are printed possibly with permission by the band or label or distro and these designs are different? Is this possible?
2. Are there any identifying marks that immediately indicate BOOTLEG? A certain T-Shirt brand or a country of origin?
3. Does every legit T-Shirt have a year and copyright marking on it?
4. Maybe on this one I should post some pics (and probably will on the main site because hey, the shirts are nice and look great anyways) but some of the designs look literally EXACTLY the same as legit original shirts that I have seen on here but with typically one slight difference, ie-it's a LS and I have only seen SS shirts, etc. If I have never seen or heard of it, is it probably fake? I'm kicking myself because I bought this SICK Old Man's Child 'Vermin" LS but, A. Had only seen SS versions, and B. On the sleeve it looked like it featured band members from "In Defiance Of Existence" era OMC. I thought maybe the shirts where printed prior to the album's release and prior to band members quitting but upon getting the shirt it dawned on me that those albums were like, 3 years apart, so it is DEFINITELY a bootleg. So maybe if it's not on the net anywhere else it's not real? Thoughts?

Anyways guys, thanks for reading and any advice would be killer, also if anyone has any advice on trading through this site....I'm always up for it but now nervous as heck!
You guys are the best,
-Jason

judascrust's picture

I would think the best way to know is to ask questions, maybe message the seller or the band and find out...could be kind of a hassle though, especially with big name bands that are harder to contact directly and I would think that a bootlegger probably wouldn't admit that his product isn't legit so that'd make the search for answers difficult. If its an online sale, if there's pictures, try to pay close attention to details like you mentioned with the Old Man's Child shirt. I would think that if its a well made bootleg there's probably not going to be any signs to show that it is one, of course the quality of the product will vary depending on who's making them; if I'm ordering online I know I don't like when they can't show a picture of the actual product (this goes for official merch too) like they have a black outline of the shirt with the design copy-pasted in the middle...doesn't show how it really looks. I don't think all legit shirts have copyright dates on them, I know I've bought official merch that doesn't have that on it.

as much as I want to directly support bands I like, if a shirt is a bootleg and it looks cool I might buy it, like you said sometimes there's shirts that have really old, out of print designs on them, or maybe it just looks better than the official merch the band or record label is selling.

as for advice on trading on this site, I personally would never try it, especially internationally, too much risk of getting ripped off, or lost/confiscated items... I know I don't want my name trashed all over this site for anything out of my control. I have sold one shirt and bought another on this site, and had good experience with it, its a little better to sell/buy here because we pretty much all have paypal and if anything goes wrong, you can always file a complaint thru paypal and get it resolved. There is a thread that's usually kept up to date and stays near the top of the forum activity section called "Good traders and reliable people to deal with / People to avoid" so if you want to trade with someone you can scroll thru and see if other users have had any experience with them for better or worse.

Liberator's picture

First of all there are many ways of telling a bootleg from an original. Sometimes the original or the 'band/label approved' shirts don't necessarily have copyrights or years etc on them. When I saw Mgla in Montreal, I bought a shirt directly from them that didn't have any trademark/copyright stuff on it and it is not unusual (sadly lost that shirt the same night!).

1. It is possible that the band may let a third party release a shirt. This can happen due to 'kinship' between members of the band/label and the said the third party. It could also happen as a tribute to the band. I have seen this happen and though rare, not entirely impossible.
And yes the designs may differ, but that is usually at the discretion of the band/third party and their agreements.

2. Yes, a lower quality of print. The colours that differ from the original, for example bootlegged shirts have 'milder' colours. Sometimes a desing that was originally a full coloured print maybe bootlegged as a one-colour shirt. The brand of the shirt is also a giveaway. Usually band shirts are printed on Gildan, Anvil, FotL etc. bootlegs tend to be cheaper feeling material.
That said, I've got bootlegs that have outlasted and are better than some originals.
Also, a lot of the time I have noticed most of the stuff coming out of Thailand/Mexico tend to be bootlegs. However, that is not to say that these countries don't produce legit/licensed band merch. Some labels operating out the said countries do do legit stuff. Some are obviously bootlegged. There are some Eastern European countries that I have seen to be funneling bootlegs. USA also has a few well-known bootleggers.

3. Not always!

4. Chances are that there maybe both LS and SS and even girly/wife beater/hoodie versions of a particular design. It is entirely possible that you or anyone else may just not be aware of it. I can name many bands that are really underground that I was even surprised to have found that had merch or shirt designs that I always wanted. A prime example would be Bethlehem. They had shirt designs that I thought were non-existent.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Fill's picture

First off guys, thanks SO much for responding. Pretty awesome that you guys took the time to share your knowledge of the subject!

JC, I totally agree, will NEVER buy anything without seeing a picture, and those shirt drawings with the design on top should have been outlawed in like, 1987. And yeah, obviously I am totally okay with buying boolegs in certain cases, it would be phenomenal if all sellers knew and were up front with the buyer because as was stated, some bootlegs just look sick as heck and totally are worth buying, or possibly a shirt wasn't printed for an album (ala Sentenced - Shadows Of Past - best OSDM album ever IMHO) and so bootlegs are the only way to get merch.
Liberator, shirts I bought were from a dude in brooklyn but he was a hispanic guy and may have said something about buying the shirts from Mexico. They were all Mexican made and on really high quality shirts but none of the brand names I have ever heard before...so I assume they are either bootlegged or 3rd partied. You know, I'll upload them as soon as I have time and then let you know here on the forum so you guys can have a look, I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks a ton for your info on different variations and countries to watch for in some cases, a HUGE help to me and others! Also...who is MGLA? Any good? Sorry about your shirt man...I always buy them right before I leave so I don't have to worry about them getting ripped off or lost in the pit!
If there's a way to follow or friend me on here...do it! You guys are the bomb.
Cheers friends,
-Jason

Liberator's picture

Not a problem! Always happy to help. As for Mgla, it may not be your thing, but are they good? I would say they're phenomenal at what they do. I have followed them for many years and seen their progression, brilliant discography. They play black metal, nothing ground breaking, but extremely well-crafted riffs and drumming. They just excel in every regard. Amazing live act too! I got the only grey shirt they had at the venue and they only had one in my size, secured it all throughout the gig and after the gig, I hung out with the band for a bit and then off I went. It was after leaving the venue that I lost it, probably on the road somewhere...had it thrown on my shoulder. Was way too inebriated that night, haha.

Dr. Fill's picture

Just so yall's know, I put up a couple of those bootleg shirts if you want to have a look. Also Judas, saw that Butcher ABC shirt of yours on ebay today. Very nice! You have any other weird grind stuff for sale?
-Jason

Dr. Fill's picture

Hey Lib, I'll have to check that band out, bummer about the shirt but they sound awesome! Thanks for sharing your story and advice, man! Dr. Death (another doctor on here...whattaya know?) I had looked up some of the items and yeah the search on here is killer, I had mentioned earlier that the issue was more a matter of if it's not on here, what are the chances of it being an original. In this case I wasn't sure but the shirts were extremely cheap so I went for it knowing there was a good chance they were bootlegs, and I was right. As for The last guy...yes, this is what metal has come to be: a bunch of dudes who don't even know each other taking time out of their busy schedules to share their stories, memories, and advice regarding all things related to the genre. If that doesn't suit you, I'm wondering why you are here.

578,923 items in the gallery, 884,231 comments, and 670 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments

• Interesting back print lol
  • I'm pretty sure Soldier of Hell made these, unless this is a subsequent issue.
  • Sadly not
  • Do you know who made these? I love the design work.
  • Rad
  • Hi! Can you please tell me more info about this shirt?
  • its literally on osmose
  • Sexy
  • On the back print, first line, last paragraph. It should read “and when the WANING light” It says WARNING This
  • Wow looks like my t-shirt design was boot legged https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=725289879599710&set=pb.1
  • Ahh right. Where's the spelling errors?
  • nice one man
  • No, this version dosent have the sparkle print.
  • Firstly, the shirt is old. As they were only printed in Australia by MIM there’s not many of them, especially in LS.
  • 👌🏻danke
  • That black death backpatch is sick!