TShirtSlayer Heavy Metal Merch Gallery
  • Bands (0)
  • Groups (0)
  • Members (0)
  • (X)

World's largest community of heavy metal tshirt and battlejacket collectors.

Forums > All other metal related talk..

Heavy Metal being "trendy" - the thing that pisses me f*****g off

PolishMetalHead...
Wed, 09/04/2014 - 22:36

Right. So we all know that Metal (and I don't mean only metal bands but also our way of dressing and whole metal culture) is now "trendy" and "super-fucking-cool". You can see kids wearing vests, bands t- shirts nearly EVERYWHERE. They get excited because they know 2 Maiden songs, 3 Metallica's and they think that they are big-time metal fans and they know some good music. I can see this bullshit everywhere. It's like: "ohh you've got a Maiden shirt on. I'm into them too" - "Yeah? So what is your favourite album, can you name 10 of your favourite songs?"- death silence. This "trend for metal" makes metal something ordinary for most of the people, like pop music. People tend to forget that metal is the music that only few people will understand and truely love. That metal is not just a music but it's a way of living, something that bounds people for a lifetime. And finally- that it is the music for a small group of people- for maniacs. I'd rather Heavy Metal to stay underground and metalheads to be the society for the chosen few. But fuck trends, true metalheads will always be true and false ones will perish. What is your opinion, what you think?

VoodooChild's picture

Like all trends it will move on within 10 years. Don'r worry. And in the meantime the posers you talk about might put a little extra money in the pockets of the bands we all love.
But I have to agree seeing hiptsers with the big glasses and ironic moustaches wear vests and shirts all of a sudden iritates hurts my eyes indeed :p

PolishMetalHeadBanger's picture

Yes, I know what you mean. Every decade has it's trend. For like maybe 7-8 years those people will forget about metal.

Morbid_Welshman's picture

There's an awful lot of that here in the UK -.- I had some little shits stood behind me in HMV, and heard one say "Nice patches...thinks he's Metal" to which I turned around and said "So what do you consider Metal?"and when their answer was "Avenged Sevenfold and Asking Alexandria" I didn't know wether or not to boot the little shit, :L

It's not just about hearing a few songs and buying the T-shirt, it's a way of life!

uuu, I know this feeling. There are a few posers in my town who think they are metal while listening to avenged shitfold or shitknot. And exatcly- metal is a way of life!

MoreGoreLessCore's picture

I tend to just ignore these fuckers.

LifeOfDeath's picture

I guess it's not the same case here. And if one cannot name ten songs from some band doesn't mean they really haven't listened to more than three songs. It can be hard to remember song titles that are not in your native language. I love Peste Noire for example, but I definitely can't name ten songs of theirs.

Well, in that case it is justified. But you can tell if the person is a poser or not after 2-3 questions about metal and bands they "listen" to. Sometimes it's hard to remember the titles, but if I hear the song I can tell which song it is and from what band (of course if i'm a fan of the band)

elvendance's picture

I don't know man, I forget names and titles all the damn time, one of my all time favourites is Summoning but if you ask me to name their songs off the top of my head I doubt I could even get three (though I do agree, I've noticed more places selling Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Slayer and Metallica shirts as if they were the next newest fashion trend)

LifeOfDeath's picture

Summoning is one of my top 3 all time favourite bands as well. I probably could name every song by them haha. But yeah I totally agree with you. Some times it's even easier to remember the lyrics than the song title :D

elvendance's picture

It's even worse if you like foreign bands because I can't even pronounce some of the names/titles
Summoning are fucking incredible though, I have their full discography c:

LifeOfDeath's picture

Yeah me too. You should check out my Summoning collection haha. I'm proud of it!

LaUlvenDrepe's picture

Maybe I just have a more "passive" type of personality, I don't know... but isn't it healthier even for your own mind to just not give a flying fuck about what others wear and listen to, and more importantly why they do so? I mean, just worry about yourself.

If I were to even consider what other people thought about the things I feel are important I'd go fucking insane. You have nothing to worry about, metal will never become a mainstream thing... the closest it got was a really long trend called glam metal, that's your best example of failure. Basically though, if you give these morons the attention they crave then it will just last longer. It's like feeding feral cats and expecting them to go away.

Also, I have to agree with what LifeOfDeath said, not all of us listen to music in our native language... I listen to music from all over the world, lyrics and song titles which I don't understand included :)

Morbid_Welshman's picture

I agree, I generally just ignore them unless they approach me and try to start a debate

Maybe you're right but it is not about me, it's about metal. You just can't let it go when somebody claims to be into metal while "listening" to 2 or 3 bands. It's hypocrisy and it's disgusting and shall not be tolerated. I'm a rather calm person but when i see these posers i wanna slit their throats and smash their skulls! But you're right- those who are true they will remain true no matter what are the trends : )

FredManimal's picture

in Berlin we have this group of hipsters who think they are punk/skater/metal/hardcore and walk around in skinny jeans, hi-tops, flip caps and ugly battlejackets with a wolf-backpatch from ebay and some random band-patches like slipknot and the offspring. in 2012 and 2013 they were at almost every thrash gig and it was totally annoying. they don't care about the music, they just think the lifestyle is cool.
here's their facebook page, if anyone cares: https://www.facebook.com/teamwolflovesbeer?fref=ts

FredManimal's picture

now that I see this page, I think the profile picture describes perfectly the whole issue:
https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1780793_59003189...

Nelson Muntz MC's picture

Fucking ugly gays.... Kill the posers

MoreNecromansy's picture

Noticed they have town specific "chapter" patches. So it would be really funny if some biker gang thought they were a rival gang encroaching on their territory.

Sweet Jesus, that's awful, fucking hipsers!

meaningless's picture

hihi...we have them everywhere :) ..ok not the wolf-BP....but it seems..they have to often watched the 'Hangover' movies..lmao

meaningless's picture

maybe its a trend..yeah..and like all trends.. -> they are coming..and going..., i saw some trends alrdy coming and going.. old fart u know :P ..i dont care it that much..haha but i know what u mean :)

PForx's picture

Pisses me off too, but there isn't anything I can do to change it. I guess it will disappear with time. I'll just wait it out.

Speed or Bleed's picture

Metal is about being yourself, Not Running behind a Trend, so those People dissappear as quick as they appeared - ergo = fuck it

TemplesBelovv's picture

Eben.

creedsk8's picture

I really don't see to many metalheads walking around fake or not. Really the only time I see any is at shows for the most part. I see plenty of high school kids my son is one and I'm at skate parks all the time still don't see to many around. Not sure about trendy in the U.S. Although I will say academics and people into music in general are starting to take notice of the post metal or post black metal stuff.

Rotten's picture

Relax dude. It'll pass and we'll all be unfashionable again haha. It happened back in 92-94 and then it fizzled out. Everything revolves around in cycles. Leather jackets and studs are in - it won't fashionable soon. So don't stress about it. Just make sure you make some friends with some of them - you can buy or be given the shirts and stuff they bought when they have no use for them anymore :)

dubtribe's picture

++++1

judascrust's picture

metal has always been trendy and will always be trendy, its just like anything else with a subculture attached to it.... there's always gonna be people who wanna exploit it and water it down and pawn it off to the mainstream so the general public can have access to it and play pretend with it and throw it away later when they can't keep up with those who live for it.
people can go play dress up and walk around feeling like a rebel, whatever, fuck em, metal's gonna stay strong and survive in the underground, because of the real fans who find purpose and meaning in this music and support it and stay with it for life, no matter how they choose to express it through clothes or hair or tattoos or whatever. if you saw me walking down the street you'd never know I was into this music; I don't look like a "metalhead" at all but I've got the albums and i wear the shirts and if you wanna talk music with me i could hold a conversation for hours because i understand it and love it and that's really all that matters.

asioux's picture

Well I've been into METAL since 1980 prior to that I was and still in to Rock N Roll since 1977 at the ripe age of 7 I am an old school metal head and have seen many Metal and Punk shows. I have seen the original Venom line up in 85 and 86 in Los Angeles I first saw Mercyful Fate in 1984 with Exciter and Motorhead at the Hollywood Palladium, and I have seen Metallica with Cliff, I have seen Slayer as an opening act in 1983 and countless others. It was neat back in the days to be part of that Metal wave and tape trading era. So to comment on your post with all due right. I see your point, but you have to remember Metal keeps on passing from one generation to another and I think it is great! When I go to Metal shows and see the kids wearing Vest with patches and Metal shirts, long hair tight pants and high top shoes I see a reflection of myself and my friends, we were part of that original wave of Metal heads and even crossed over to the likes of Dri, S.O.D and evolved into punk. But Metal will always be apart of a true Metal heads life! With all due respect to your frustration bro count it joy that Metal will be and continue to dominate! Also as a side note I was once called a poser at my first Slayer show for wearing a Motley Crue "Too fast for love tour shirt" after that I burned it and it was all about Slayer! We were all posers at once! Cheers!

somekindofdrunk's picture

+1, but i hit the wrong reply button, sorry!

Wrathchylde666's picture

I really dont see this as much of a problem in America. Maybe its the town I live in, but here the metal people ( what teeny tiny amount there are ), seem to be really into metal. Sure, we get the mallcore jackasses, thinking Avenged Sevenfold, Korn or Asking Alexandria or whatever, is the epitome of really extreme metal. I just laugh those kids off and figure it could be worse; they could be listening to rap. Here, if I see a guy wearing a Maiden shirt, or a Cannibal Corpse shirt, theyre usually really into it. And believe me, its rare to see those people at all unless youre at a show or a record store.
The problem Im seeing lately is all the hipsters getting into black metal. I guess they figure its SO extreme and SO underground that its hip and cool enough for them to listen to. Nothing worse than some hipster with his ironic facial hair, vanity glasses,skintight clothes and emo girlfriend takling about how great Darkthrone is like they DIDNT just start listening to them last month. That shit sickens me.

I'd rather people like those to listen to rap or anything else because bands like avenged sevenfold, korn or slipknot are a total disgrace since they consider their music to be Heavy Metal (but it's really FAR from what Heavy Metal suppouse to be). It's another thing that gets on my nerves. Shitty metalcore, deathcore or nu-metal bands think that they are "metal" and "extreme" but they are total shit and their music should never be classified as Metal.

somekindofdrunk's picture

+1
this is the archetype of the modern black metal fan in america! they're rampant! i love black metal, but at least i'm fat and don't listen to WITTR!

SaTaNiC TyRaNT WeReWoLF666's picture

shit i live in Irvine nothing but shitstep and rap sometimes it makes my head implode but its not the trendy hipsters that
have me concerned its the shit talking stereotypes who lumb emo in to metal all together that shit makes me cringe

Daniel Sodomaniac's picture

I`m 37 by now so i`ve seen ALOT of wannabies come and go during my time:).
Alot of people tend to buy their leather jacket before they start to find cool songs and albums but these people disappear very fast hahaha.
Cheers boys and girls, die hard!

powermetaller's picture

On one hand, I have to agree with your statement: For example this "team wolf" nonsense FredManimal posted is pretty much crap, a shitty trend that'll go after a few years. Plus I also can't stand those kids buying rare/vintage patches for a fortune but don't kow anything about the band and only own it for the sake of "apparently being onto obscure metal" - long story short, I hate that hipster-attitude currently establishing within the metal scene.

On the other hand - well, we all once started listening to metal. Most of us weren't born back in the days when metal came up - and weren't born with metal music in their blood. The older ones are lucky to have witnessed the glorious 70s/80s. In the 90s there was sparkling cheesy European keyboard unicorn Power Metal and Pantera, in the early 2000s (at least here) there was those pseudo-Viking/Folk-Metal-thing with bands like Ensiferum or Equilibrium, which got a lot of young ones into metal - today it's (at least to my ears) awful stuff like Asking Dingenskirchen. But if you meet those people with elitism and arrogance, yeah, the "metal phase" won't last too long, it will be a short-termed trend. But I think, it'd be better to intoduce them to the music than making fun of them for just discovering the greatness of this music by scratching the mainstream-surface. Just my 2 cents.

I get it but it's a fatal mistake to call metalcore or nu-metal bands Metal. I know what you mean- we were all begining our adventure with metal some time ago. For exaple when I was like 11 or 12 I used to listen to trivium. I was just a kid :D.

powermetaller's picture

Yeah, that's a point I agree with you. There ARE idiots out there who think they are a metal encyclopedia for knowing 5 core- and 2 nu-"metal"-bands and insult(!) others for liking Power and Heavy Metal, since they think "it is gay". These are the ones who will hopefully vanish from the scene. But there are a lot of others who would thankfully accept some recommendations, samplers, etc. far from the mainstream stuff. It's pretty easy to find it out if you simple talk to them for a few minutes. Thus I highly disagree with that attitude of assuming every kid in a bandshirt and/or vest being a retarded hipster. ;)

deth's picture

.......keep the underground lit, but not bright enough for the posers to see......

DethronedEmperor23's picture

damn thats an awesome quote

dubtribe's picture

Believe me ... when you're getting older you see the whole thing more relaxed. Enjoy your music and your way of life, and let the others enjoy their stuff. If you say Nu-Meatl & Metalcore is no Metal, than it's your opinion, others say it is Metal ... that's always the big discussion in the scene: what is Metal and what's not, what is "trve" and what not and so on.
For example: in the late '80 the " real " Metalheads hated Crue and the whole Glam Metal scene ( those were the Posers haha ), and nowadays when someone posted a Shirt or patch of that Bands on tts, they say " Cool shirt, great band ... ".
The same with the Hipster scene atm ... I think this is your Glam Metal scene we had back in the days ;) ... they got their music and style, but one day it will end ... so relax and enjoy your music :)
That are my thought about it
Cheers :)

I know what you mean but I don't consider motley crue or any other glam "metal" to be the true metal. After all emo metalcore fans and glam faggots are the same thing but glam used to be famous in the 80's and now we've got even greater evil called nu-metal. Well, maybe I'm a little bit more offensive towards those metalcore kids than glam metal lovers (sometimes i listen to glam but just for laughts- they were such faggy and gay :D) because they are here and now and a lot of people really think metalcore or nu-metal is true and heavy. For me there is no compromise- if some band mix growl-like vocals with pop chorses while singing songs about how emo they are and consider themselves metal- that's pure bullshit. What's more, I presume that most of this bands play only for money and fame- not for the music itself. Cheers as well :)

powermetaller's picture

There's one big difference: To play good Glam Metal (I love Cinderella for example, yeah call me "not metal" now ;) ) you need talent. If you wanna play Metalcore, it's enough to know how to hold a guitar.

Ohhh you filfthy poser bastard :D Yeah maybe some glam bands are good sometimes ( I didn't make my point clear- sorry for that, I shouldn't generalize but you've got to admit that they look like pussies :P ) It's right- you don't need any talent to play metalcore. Oh, for the record- I don't know why many people think Twisted Sister is glam. For me it's good heavy metal ! It looks like Dee and friends just wanted to make fun of glam metal.

powermetaller's picture

I shall fall to my knees I cover myself in ashes for liking those poseur bands :D.
No seriously, I just wanted to point out that that Glam scene brought up some really cool bands (and a lot of shitty ones, yeah), while most musician of the current metalcore movement play the same powerchords over and over again, combined with electro (please, let me puke somewhere!) or crappy pop...well, let's call it "music"...

But I'd categorize TS as Glam - and one of the examples that Glam doesn't have to be shit :D.

And yep, I have to agree, the look is ridiculously, well, pussy-ish :D.

alla2465's picture

+1

mad_submarine's picture

Oh I remember some years ago I used to worry over the same things. But as you grow, you will see how a lot of people, some of them your friends, "get over" the metal thing and you'd realise - it has always been like this - 10 years ago, 20 years ago. There would always be posers and you can't do anything about it. In fact, I think that most people really into metal have never been too many. It's not like it's a bigger trend now than it used to be.

yeah, and here's what I hate the most- traitors. If somebody "gets over" metal it means he's never been into it. But you're right- tredns come and go :) The reason why I created this thread is just to know people's opinions and spill my hatered :D

Lizard's picture

Haha, never ask me for names of songs/albums/bandmembers - I'm sometimes happy when I can remember my own name. XD And knowing every fucking song or album by a band I like I gave up years ago because of all the stuff I like and because of japanese bands I love. As long as I know I like the musical style of the band (and is it at least for one part of their history) and I will always listen from time to time to their stuff, I'm fine and would take a band-patch. Sometimes I love a band right from the start and sometimes it takes me years to do so. Starting to see it that way it helps to be calm and don't give a fuck at all anymore. Posers and trend-whores will always be but if they're helping smaller bands to get some attention or earning some money, ther're useful at least.

I'm also got used to the endless idiocy of humans because of my job. When I'm stressed or pissed such fuckers can make it worse, but since nice little genocides are forbidden you can't do anything against it whithout risking jail. So try to see it as an absurd yet somehow funny parody of human idiocy and use it for your enterainment. :D For example: These Wolf Team-fuckers may be annoying as fuck but just imagining how they get beaten up by some really pissed Hells Angels for their really uninspired copies of a (biker) Kutte is funny as hell. XD

Yeah, remembering song titles can be frustrating sometimes ( I've got a short memory too :D ) but I mean people who cannot even recognise the songs after listening to them because the've listened to 3-4 songs 3-4 times and they think they are "metal". As to those wolf BP fuckers- I would laugh my ass off if they had some fights with bikers :D

Lizard's picture

When you're listening to albums as one thing like a fucking long song, you'll also don't give a fuck about that. ^^ And if someone is really stupid beyond a level you can stand, just make fun out of him/her. Nothing's better than using sarcasm to make everyone laugh about shitheads while they're trying to understand why everyone's laughing. Abuse them for your entertainment. :D

creedsk8's picture

I've seen a crew of old poppy punk kind of guys wearing the same kuttes here in pittsburgh I can't remember the name but I'm pretty sure it's an international club something with a beret back patch if I remember. kind of cheesy I think if you don't have motorcycles or something.

FredManimal's picture

sounds like the Turbonegro-fanclub. I don't like those guys either. hipsters like to wear these too
http://www.turbojugend.net/uploads/images/520/bagdaffa.JPG

creedsk8's picture

Yeah that's them wtf is that.

I don't know but it looks gay :D

creedsk8's picture

Went to a show one time and those guys were staring us down probally because my buddy and I were laughing out loud at the horrible band playing. Guess I better be careful the girl I'm talking to likes that band.

TheWitchburner's picture

I've read a similar discussion/thread many times before and I only have one thing to add (it has already been said several times) :

Live and let die, man. Trends come and go.
People shouldn't worry and care about others too much, do your own thing and let others do theirs.

The only thing that bothers me, is the arrogance that lives in some of these so-called ''true'' metal circles. Bashing people who wear their hair short and have colored shirts, instead the eternal black...starting fights over a fucking bandshirt they shouldn't be wearing etc..fuck that.

Fucken elitists.

dubtribe's picture

++++1

No, no I don't like those "trve" metalheads either. For me those who argue about short hair, colored shirts are paradoxically posers. They tend to forget that metal is NOT about clothing (well metalheads have their style of dressing and hairstyle but it's not very important) but music and brotherhood. You can be a metalhead without wearing bands shirts etc. What i'm trying to say is that some people (posers) think that they are metal but they AREN'T. What defines a metalhead is obvioulsy listening to Heavy Metal (not fake nu-metal or metalcore), loving it and this feeling that you're a part of something serious like a metal family.

LifeOfDeath's picture

Brotherhood, metal family... for fucks sake! Are you serious? Listening to same kind of music shouldn't make you a part of any brotherhood or family. I love metal, but I most definitely don't feel like being a part of any metal family lol. I'm sorry if I seem a little bit harsh, but I find that kind of thinking ridiculous.

Phallucifer's picture

+1

I am DEAD serious. For me it's more than just a music i listen to. And I find your way of thinking ridicuous because (and it's not just my opinion) as the history shows metalheads were always together, they were united, creating something they and only they can undestand. I think it was beacause this "metal family" Heavy Metal survived for so long. Let me say it once again- it's not just my way of thinking- many people think this way and they are called Metalheads. If you don't feel like a "family member"- so be it- you're just a person that listens to mostly metal bands.

LifeOfDeath's picture

All I can say that brotherhood and family have a completely different meaning for me. They're strong words for me and not titles I would give around for free. Yes metal is more than just music for me, but it's definitely not about brotherhood. I'm not enjoying metal because I want to be part of something.
And about that last part... metalhead is a person who listens to metal bands mostly. What else could it be? You wouldn't call me a metalhead because I don't consider myself to be a part of some illusion called "metal family". It's just a word to describe ones music taste.

DevilzForce's picture

hey ! it's my job to keep metal elite... ;)

FredManimal's picture

maybe we need another Slay Team: http://blog.bazillionpoints.com/2013/01/31/exodus-rare-poser-crushing-19...
but who could fill the gap that Paul Baloff left?

Yeah! Paul Baloff was a true metal warrior. I've heard some crazy stories about him.

LikkedbyDeath's picture

It doesn't piss me off at all to be honest.
People who feel the need to define themselves by something extrinsic are not worth getting angry over.
They need time to figure themselves out. It's a phase of life we all go through, so let them have it.
What we could do is act as mentors and guide these people to more quality metal.

Don't get your jimmies rustled. Kids will be kids. :-)

Faber's picture

Don't give a fuck. Who cares. The 80ies were filled with posers, trend followers. Even some of the classics are made by posers. Who gives a shit. It is about the music. Started to listen Metal at my 12th or something, because of some friends. Listen before that to 70ies Hard Rock and Heavy Rock from my dad. Devellop my musical taste big time sinds my 18th. From 80ies Popmusic, Rock n Roll, Blues, Oldschool RnB (like Fleetwoord Mac), Flamenco, Rocknbility, 20ies to 50ies music (Pop to Rock n Roll), Punkrock, Deep House to Heavy Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, NWoBHM, proto Black Metal (Venom, Kat, first 2 Running Wild), 80ies/US/Symphonic Power Metal and my favorite Metal genre Epic Metal. Doesn't matter what you listen. Is all taste about taste. Good or bad, nothing in between. If you see me, you will probably call me also a hipster and poser (people look at me at concerts like that). When people are at my house and I put my favorites playlist on Youtube on, they don't understand shit of it: from obscure Metal to the most populair things you can imagine. The most important thing is that you got a heart for the music you listen. Thats all that counts!

Jimmh's picture

The word metal is what confuses people. Too many genres got that name in their genre so you can't really blame kids if they say that some emonumetal is metal because in the end it's under the metal genre.

TStorm's picture

I don't see the point of complaining... as long as it doesn't affect the music you listen to and what you care about, why bother? if a hipster wants to wear a metal shirt or go to a metal show for whatever reason, because he likes the music or just cause he wants to be cool, let him... as long as he doesn't annoy you... and if someone likes slipknot or asking alexandria or whatever let them listen to it. you don't have to if you don't like it.... and anyway people here seem quite judgemental... just because someone doesn't have long hair and a jacket with the 'trvest' 'vintage' patches doesn't mean he can't listen to metal and you have to immediately assume they are posers. i know a guy who may occasionally wear a metal shirt but other than that looks like a normal dude but he's been going to metal shows for decades and still does!

zyga666slayer's picture

Crush the hipsters, Fuck the posers! True metal will never die! I don't mind if someone listens to few Metallica or Slayer songs but when he thinks he's cool and he's one of us -Metal Brotherhood- then I'm really angry. And I think about Paul Baloff. What would he do? We can't tolerate posers! Zero tolerance!

welgrrr's picture

I think metal is in first place the music!!!! ....the whole fashion and dressing and so on is not that important, but for sure i also like to wear my shirts and jacket because im proud to be a fuckin metalhead!! But anyway : PASSION before Fashion!!!!!!!!!!!....the music comes first

Those trend fuckers dissapear by themselves....so FUCK THEM ...i donยดt give a shit

Amen brother from the heart!
Just visit Muskelrock Festival in Sweden and you see Fashion before Passion hahaha :).

Untenanted-I-Gloomoire's picture

Muskelrock pรฅ tyrolen seems like a great festival though

I totally agree! It just makes me nervous and i wanted just to know other's opinion and share my anger :)

Johnny-Eyeball's picture

Nobody needs to do anything about it, really. They'll get bored and move on to whatever other trend is popular. When I was in school, around 13 or so, was when I started growing my hair out and properly digging into nothing but metal. Others started following suit. Now, about 10 years later, not a single one of those people I went to school with follow that lifestyle but me. They all cut their hair and started wearing tracksuits, going to nightclubs and generally just adhering whatever the flavour of the week trend happens to be. I grew up in a family of metalheads so I guess it's 'in my blood' so to speak. It's better to just laugh at them when they expose themselves as posers. No need to get so worked up about it, really. They'll die out willingly when they become bored with that specific trend.

That how it goes :)!

Well, that's totally right!

Tuber's picture

This thread reminded me of one guy from the comprehensive school-times. He was into the stuff for a few months and so. I even got him into a few bands. For him it surely was a trend.
What can I say? Don't try to be something you're not. For that chap; you had a pretty fly. :D

KorgullTheExterminator's picture

All these comments saying 'poser avenged sevenfold fans' really disappoint me.. just because someone doesn't listen to your 'trve' metal bands doesn't mean that they are inferior. Anyone should be entitled to listen to whatever they want to listen to, and as a metal fan it shouldn't matter.

If someone listen to avenged sevenfold, slipknot or others it's okay with me as long as this person doesn't call him/herself a metalhead. With the moment in witch she or he sais "I consider myself to be a metalhead" - there is no mercy. Sorry, but i will not tolerate calling metalcore "Metal" because it simply IS NOT metal and it's not just a matter of being "trve" or not- it's a matter of definition and metalcore is by definition NOT metal. Saying that it is is a disgrace for Heavy Metal. Call me on orthodox, close minded or whatever- I don't give a fuck. Why just we can't enjoy metal the way it was meant to be- loud guitars, screams, strong lyrics and pounding drums?

putlucht's picture

Well that's quite elitistic eh... Let people do as they want man.
I guess you listened to "true" bands the moment you dropped from the womb! (no you didn't because you stated above being into Trivium a long while ago, just I was).
Why are those "emo gay faggot metalcore homosexual gay gay" (im noticing a theme) necessarily destined to drop out of the metal scene? You listened to metalcore when you were 12 and you didn't, do you consider yourself some kind of anomaly or something? In a few years they'll maybe discover better bands or whatever... If they don't, well whatever? A couple less people for you to be annoyed at :)
The term metalhead in itself makes me cringe btw...

ManOboy's picture

who gives a flying fuck whats trendy and whats not. The true bangers are the ones who stick with it till the end.

Yeah, you're right- fuck trends, brothers will be brothers!

biteyourself's picture

This just in: "Topman forced to apologise after selling jacket with SS symbol on chest"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2603624/Topman-forced-apologise-...

judascrust's picture

gotta say, all you spouting off about what is and what isn't "metal" and passing judgement/labeling others and deciding for them whether or not they should enjoy certain kinds of music and deciding for them how they should express themselves - it reeks of self-imposed elitism and smugness and to me sounds very much unlike the kind of brotherhood and camaraderie you claim this music stands for. these kinds of opinions floating around in this thread are exactly why I refuse to label myself a "metalhead" and why I do not feel any kind of emotional or spiritual connection with anyone who shares my taste in music.

putlucht's picture

yes!! totally agree. There's so much hypocrisy in this discussion, it's not even funny anymore :') eh metal brother \m/ \m/

Judas Priestess's picture

So true, I can't stand people that think they're entitled or better than another person just because of musical tastes. People that run around calling each other posers are obviously too caught up in the trends themselves than the music.

gizter's picture

+1 to all 3 of you. i hate this way of thinking. it's the reason i tried to avoid this topic all this time.

SIR STEWART WALLACE III's picture

thats funny that metal is trendy in europe because in america its as dead as disco.
this one rich girl told me "metal is for poor people"
nobody middle class or rich listens to metal.

Heinz's picture

I sure as heck can't recall the names of every song from every band I listen to on command, that's for sure. I do know why I listen though; I got into extreme metal as a natural extension of my punk/thrash roots, and as a result as being pissed at the world in general. Not my own particular lot in life, as I'm doing OK, but I just hate to read about the f*cking evil that people keep doing to each other, particularly to innocent people, women, children. This one that killed 6 of her kids and packed them away in the garage. That's song material, right, LOL, but the fact that it's a true story is the worst of all. It's therapeutic to lash out. I could have a stressful day at work and by the time I'm home I've listened to a full side of Mayhem or Emperor and had a beer, and I'm good. At 42, I'm nearly as old as some of the guys in those bands, LOL. Half the hair I got left is gray...not really worried about anyone calling me a poser in my Mayhem shirt, maybe rather thinking that I found it at the thrift or borrowed it from my kid. :)

NekroDesekrator666's picture

Didn't even bother to read the rest of the comments after the first 5 ones because i know it's mostly the same opinion with majority of people here. But i wonder that why do you even care about these people? They will "grow out" of it since they are not passionate about metal music and they are not true for themselves.

rockguy97's picture

To be honest, I don't find metal to be that trendy. What's trendy is buying a merch for a popular band at a store like Hot Topic. And most of these bands aren't even metal.

atrophythrasher's picture

i know that feeling there are casual stores who sells metallica shirts urgh

Ysidro's picture

This is a long discussion. Fact is that very recently you find more and more fashion related links when you look for vintage shirts.
I canยดt say I like that. As if the prices arenยดt already ridiculously high enough, this trend will push them even more.
So most of us will have to quit this game, I guess. And this is sad.

Hereยดs some more of this stuff, look and judge yourselves:
http://www.chictopia.com/IRON-MAIDEN-T__Shirt/info
http://lookbook.nu/look/689845-Merchandise-Iron-Maiden-Shirt-Junk-Golden...
http://pin.oasap.com/img/12252
http://favim.com/image/98992/
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/4chs-nZ5rhA/Gossip+Girl+Films+in+New+York...

To me this looks as if this is all about "looks" and not at all about music.

mealkeith's picture

Heavy metal is to tell the truth pretty hard to bastardize. metal is like a castle Some genres outside the wall are prone to hipsters ransacking it but more underground genres that are within the walls are pretty hard to get at.

judascrust's picture

I find it funny that this thread is still going. people are so butthurt and just don't want to accept the fact that heavy metal is HUGE all over the world, the music and its culture get massive exposure in the mainstream and always has, since its very inception. all of metal's pioneering bands - zeppelin, deep purple, Sabbath, priest, maiden, ac/dc, kiss, etc, played to tens of thousands of people in huge concert arenas and stadiums, it's not as "underground" as you'd like to think it is, even if you like to listen to the less popular bands. even bands who play more abrasive styles (death/black metal) get major label support/distribution/advertising, they play huge concert festivals, and get their music videos played on tv. you can be as "true" as you want, rock your vest in public, blast your shit out your car window and throw your horns and think you're pissing off all the squares in your town - its inevitable that people who aren't really into this music are going to be exposed to it - even if that's in a watered down form on their local "hard rock" station or on MTV or whatever - and some people are going to like it and that's ok. you don't have to talk to those people, they don't have to be a part of your life if you don't want them to.
don't be so quick to judge people based on what music they like and how they dress, because as a metal fan, YOU are judged because of what you like, and how you dress and I know you don't like that. you can put up a tough front and act like you don't care but you do, don't lie to yourself. don't get yourself all upset because the labels you slap on others and the choices you assume they make and the life you imagine them to live doesn't match with the way you choose to live your life.

Symbolic692's picture

Honestly man I understand your frustration but weren't we all like these "posers" at one time. I was born in '92 and I didn't start listening to anything remotely "metal" till I was in 8th grade. I started listening to linkin park and system of a down. If you would have asked me my favorite band in high school I would have told you bullet for my valentine. When I was 18 or 19 I listened to metalcore and deathcore bands. Then one day in my search for deathcore bands I saw the band Death in a related search and I never turned back to the breakdown bands. I would tell you my top 5 bands would be Death, Amon Amarth, slayer, iron maiden, and ensiferum. Pretty diverse metal genres but none that any metalhead would ever call false metal. Whats my point to all this? Its that remember that without these "false metal" bands some of these "posers" would never learn of the music that we all know and love. So don't worry about these kids the true lovers of the music will stay and the real posers will move onto another fad. Its not all a bad thing be glad that there are new generations joining whats supposed to be a metal brotherhood and stop all the hating.

MoreGoreLessCore's picture

Do I care about more and more people liking mainstream metal? Not really, although I will go into more detail later
Do I care about more and more people liking Death Metal and the shit i love? Not really
Do I care about being challenged on my music because I am wearing a patch/Shirt? Not a fucking care, In fact I tend not to answer this question or give straight up bull shit like "Did they not sing Creeping Death?" about Megadeth for example for a laugh.

When It comes to seeing people who like this Mainstream Metal, I tend not to care if they truly like them or not or even listen to them. However I do find it hard not to laugh at the way they dress/act to try to seem pretty Brutal. I.E. Wearing an Asking Alexander shirt and the tightest skinny jeans imaginable that a fucking seagull could not get into, Their spiked up long hair and fringes that cover half their body.

What I do care about is when I am at a gig and I have guys/girls who only know the band by name, sitting up front on their phone texting and mad when I nudge them whilst headbanging. That really gets on my fucking tits.

I will add more to this later if i can be arsed

mad_submarine's picture

Same as the person above, can't care less for others unless they interfere with my shit. Some people who go to gigs dressed in suits and formal clothing who stare at me with an angry face only because I've slightly touched them while enjoying the music - this is the kind of crap that really gets on my nerves. Several times I'd been tempted to kick one of those people in the nuts. If you go to a fucking death metal gig you should know that people aren't entitled to care for you man, especially if you go into the pit.

BadxDog's picture

I blame Deafheaven.

SallyTheScumberjack's picture

Deafheaven is a great band though

Ice Grave's picture

Their are trends in every music scene. In hardcore it's very trendy right now to like old metal bands. Which isn't that bad since a lot of modern hardcore bands write riffs that are inspired from death metal. Even hardcore music is very trendy right now. Even a year ago when I went to local shows no one gave a shit but now since it's a big deal on tumblr and other websites everyone is starting to act like they've been involved in the scene for years. It's a competition on who's the coolest and most "metal" or "hardcore".

568,383 items in the gallery, 881,020 comments, and 554 items have changed hands in the last month.

Guess this TShirt!

Can you guess which metal tshirt this is from?

Can you guess which metal TShirt this is from? Click here for all previous tshirt guesses

Recent Comments